• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

March Madness A to Z

Started by covufan, March 15, 2013, 01:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Not sure if this will work, but the caption for the picture is: "Bryce Drew of the Valparaiso Crusaders talks to father and coach Homer Drew during a Midwest Regional game against the Florida State Seminoles in the second round of the tournament in Oklahoma City on March 15, 1998. Drew sunk a three-pointer with seconds to go to beat the Seminoles 83-77."

Not sure where the picture is from - would VU have worn "home" whites in the 1998 tournament?  Even so, the CNN factchecker needs to check facts.

Kyle321n

Well after seeing the clip of "The Shot" every year since it's happened I know they wore their Gold unis in round 1.

Looking at the cheerleader in the background she looks like she could be in Seminole colors and the sign on the right looks like it could be one of those NCAA banners on the scorers table.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

ValpoHoops

We were the 13 and played 12 seed Florida State.  They didn't have their light uniforms so they wore dark and we wore white.

crusaderjoe

Did we bring both white and gold to Oklahoma City?  I thought we bussed in the home unis after the Ole Miss game because FSU had no alternate and no one was expecting a 12/13 game.  Or is this the kind of stuff that urban legends are made of?

covufan

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 15, 2013, 03:04:33 PM
We were the 13 and played 12 seed Florida State.  They didn't have their light uniforms so they wore dark and we wore white.
I'm starting to remember this.  As some of us were watching the VU - FSU game, we all commented "Why are they in home whites?". 

There are only two teams that need to bring only one uniform - the #1 and #16 seeds.

govalpogo

Speaking of uniform colors, etc.  This came across the Facebook wire earlier today.  Valpo will apparently be sporting very bold/gold kicks for the tourney this year. 

vu72

Quote from: govalpogo on March 15, 2013, 06:32:43 PM
Speaking of uniform colors, etc.  This came across the Facebook wire earlier today.  Valpo will apparently be sporting very bold/gold kicks for the tourney this year. 

Nice!  Just hope they don't go the way of the gray uniforms!   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2013, 06:38:43 PM

Nice!  Just hope they don't go the way of the gray uniforms!   :(

so long as they're more successful, that may not be an issue. of course, it can't be that hard to be more successful than the gray unis.

ValpoHoops

They are bold. They look awsome.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 15, 2013, 08:30:11 PMof course, it can't be that hard to be more successful than the gray unis.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

I noticed this on the Milwaukee board:

Here's how it appears so far ...

Valpo -- NCAA
Detroit -- NIT/CBI
Wright State -- CBI/CIT
Green Bay -- CIT at Bradley
UIC -- CIT
Youngstown State -- CIT

6 of 9 HL teams in post season tourneys.  This really has been a good year for the league.

historyman

Quote from: govalpogo on March 15, 2013, 06:32:43 PMSpeaking of uniform colors, etc.  This came across the Facebook wire earlier today.  Valpo will apparently be sporting very bold/gold kicks for the tourney this year.
Well, call me a Gold Digger!

By the way, I will be at the Sunday afternoon Selection Show party in the Harre ballroom (that doesn't sound good, does it?)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 15, 2013, 09:54:07 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 15, 2013, 08:30:11 PMof course, it can't be that hard to be more successful than the gray unis.

great use of a big bang theory gif! double points for you!

wh

I just watched some video of Albany players celebrating after winning their conference championship.  I kept looking to see if I could spot Jay Harris somewhere in the mayhem, but never did.  Only after it was over did it finally occur to me that Jay transferred to Wagner - not Albany.  Oh well, can't win 'em all.  ;)

a3uge

Why are they part blue?

govalpogo

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2013, 05:37:44 PM

Why are they part blue?

Gold and...black, right?

ValpoHoops

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2013, 05:37:44 PM

Why are they part blue?

No blue. Perhaps the lighting but looks black to me. They are gold and black.

letsgovu

Quote from: wh on March 16, 2013, 04:39:21 PMI kept looking to see if I could spot Jay Harris somewhere in the mayhem, but never did.

did you see him at our championship game?  It made me happy to see that he made the trip.

valpotx

That's pretty cool that he was there, though I am sure it was because he has to sit out the year, and was in Chicago for spring break
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

Had a good talk with Jay after the game. He says he really likes Wagner and expects them to be the favorites in the NEC next year.