• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Basketball TV schedule released!

Started by vu72, September 20, 2012, 12:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Valpo will be getting an increased dose of national exposure via games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU as well as ESPN3.  The league office has to be congratulated as well.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/11993/crusaders-to-make-at-least-eight-espn-appearances-during-hl-play/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

I find this quite impressive...I guess this is what happens when you become considered as the league "front-runner."  The Mrs. may not be happy with how many "evening study sessions" on campus at Duke that I am likely to have for all of those ESPN 3 games.  Apparently, my Time Warner package isn't good enough to be subscribed to ESPN 3.  Nevertheless, very exciting!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: govalpogo on September 20, 2012, 05:02:17 PMApparently, my Time Warner package isn't good enough to be subscribed to ESPN 3.

ESPN 3 isn't a TV channel...it's an online broadcast.  It doesn't really count, but it helps inflate the numbers.  Probably better to stick with the HLN who actually know the players.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: govalpogo on September 20, 2012, 05:02:17 PM
I find this quite impressive...I guess this is what happens when you become considered as the league "front-runner."  The Mrs. may not be happy with how many "evening study sessions" on campus at Duke that I am likely to have for all of those ESPN 3 games.  Apparently, my Time Warner package isn't good enough to be subscribed to ESPN 3.  Nevertheless, very exciting!

you need to turn her into a basketball fan. at the very least since it's valpo.  ;)

govalpogo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 21, 2012, 08:54:51 AM
Quote from: govalpogo on September 20, 2012, 05:02:17 PMApparently, my Time Warner package isn't good enough to be subscribed to ESPN 3.

ESPN 3 isn't a TV channel...it's an online broadcast.  It doesn't really count, but it helps inflate the numbers.  Probably better to stick with the HLN who actually know the players.

I know, Time Warner Cable is my internet provider.  It's cheaper than Frontier/verizon...thus no ESPN 3.com.

Also, Nerd, she sure does root for Valpo...but mainly so that I'll be in a good mood ;)

vuweathernerd

Quote from: govalpogo on September 21, 2012, 10:33:51 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 21, 2012, 08:54:51 AM

I know, Time Warner Cable is my internet provider.  It's cheaper than Frontier/verizon...thus no ESPN 3.com.

Also, Nerd, she sure does root for Valpo...but mainly so that I'll be in a good mood ;)

i figured as much. i was merely saying that you should try to take it to the next level and get her to watch games with you and turn her into a basketball fan as well.

covufan

This is good news for Valpo and the HL.  Now, we just need to go out and win these games!

vu84v2

Frankly, it seems like ESPN is cutting back on Horizon League coverage with more games on ESPN3.  It is very difficult to consider a game on ESPN3 as any more value than HLN.  Furthermore, the only committed televised home games are against Northern Illinois at 7 AM and Cleveland State when school is not in session.  Unless some of the wild card games are added (or the bracketbuster), there will be very limited exposure of the atmosphere at Valparaiso.  While this announcement is not negative, I do not see it as being positive in comparison to other years.

As I have stated before in other posts, the schedule does little to generate any home excitement among the students or fan base.  This TV schedule does not help (unless there is a big bracketbuster game).

vusupporter

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 24, 2012, 04:01:02 PM
Frankly, it seems like ESPN is cutting back on Horizon League coverage with more games on ESPN3.  It is very difficult to consider a game on ESPN3 as any more value than HLN.  Furthermore, the only committed televised home games are against Northern Illinois at 7 AM and Cleveland State when school is not in session.  Unless some of the wild card games are added (or the bracketbuster), there will be very limited exposure of the atmosphere at Valparaiso.  While this announcement is not negative, I do not see it as being positive in comparison to other years.

As I have stated before in other posts, the schedule does little to generate any home excitement among the students or fan base.  This TV schedule does not help (unless there is a big bracketbuster game).

You're forgetting the Feb. 15 Detroit game, which is on ESPN2.  So that's at least 3 nationally televised home games on ESPN networks during the regular season.  ESPN home games during the regular season since joining the Horizon League:

2011-12: 1 (Butler, ESPNU)
2010-11: 2 (Purdue, ESPNU; Missouri State, ESPN2 [Bracketbuster])
2009-10: 1 (Butler, ESPNU)
2008-09: 0 (UNC at United Center was ESPNU)
2007-08: 3 (Butler, ESPN2; Miami, ESPN Classic [Bracketbuster]; Wright State, ESPN2 [Wildcard])

I think there's no doubt this is the best year for us for ESPN coverage since joining the Horizon League.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 24, 2012, 04:01:02 PM

At least the espn3 games will be local broadcasts, not ESPN announcers who care more about the Heisman voting/Top 5 point guards in nation/Big 10-ACC Challenge results/you name it than the game going on in front of them.

historyman

Fox Sports Midwest is broadcasting 10 Saint Louis Billikens games this season including the Valpo game. This may make the game available to some of you.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/10/22/12/FSMW-to-televise-10-SLU-basketball-games/landing_stlbillikens.html?blockID=808421&feedID=10336

FOX Sports Midwest begins its Billiken broadcast schedule Wednesday, Nov. 14, as the Billikens take on Santa Clara. FOX Sports Midwest then televises home December matchups against Valparaiso, North Texas, Eastern Illinois, Loyola Marymount and SIUE.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on November 01, 2012, 09:44:28 PM
Fox Sports Midwest is broadcasting 10 Saint Louis Billikens games this season including the Valpo game. This may make the game available to some of you.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/10/22/12/FSMW-to-televise-10-SLU-basketball-games/landing_stlbillikens.html?blockID=808421&feedID=10336

FOX Sports Midwest begins its Billiken broadcast schedule Wednesday, Nov. 14, as the Billikens take on Santa Clara. FOX Sports Midwest then televises home December matchups against Valparaiso, North Texas, Eastern Illinois, Loyola Marymount and SIUE.

My problem is I won't be able to listen to Todd Ickow call the game.  I'll be there in the arena.  Sure I can come home and listen to FSMW announcers call the game later, thanks to my DVR, but there's always the chance it'll be Dan McLaughlin even though it's not Mizzou.

valporun

Stl, if you have an Android phone or an iPad/iPod Touch, you could get Todd's call of the game on the WAKE-AM app.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on November 03, 2012, 01:11:35 AM
Stl, if you have an Android phone or an iPad/iPod Touch, you could get Todd's call of the game on the WAKE-AM app.

Actually, it's called "WAKE RADIO", but I found it.  Thanks!

However, the only problem there is that the delay will be unbearable.  I'll be watching a play at 15:00 while listening to Todd describe a play at 16:00 or something.  It will come in handy when I'm unable to watch live.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 03, 2012, 12:59:36 AMbut there's always the chance it'll be Dan McLaughlin even though it's not Mizzou.

Was this the guy who was caught with the dead girlfriend in his house from a drug overdose and her ex-husband sued him in civil court for wrongful death and they reached a monetary settlement? Then he had to beg the University of Missouri or someone for his job. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2012, 02:57:48 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on November 03, 2012, 12:59:36 AMbut there's always the chance it'll be Dan McLaughlin even though it's not Mizzou.

Was this the guy who was caught with the dead girlfriend in his house from a drug overdose and her ex-husband sued him in civil court for wrongful death and they reached a monetary settlement? Then he had to beg the University of Missouri or someone for his job. 

this sounds like august busch 4. danny mac just has problems with drinking and driving, if memory serves. he's been suspended by fsmw a couple times following dui arrests.