• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

softball 2014

Started by vusb1, February 09, 2014, 02:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusb1

After a rocky start to their first tournament dropping their fist 2 contest Valpo bats come to life with a record setting win against Seton Hall and another strong performance against U-Mass Lowell. Looks like contributions from all around. Good luck in Lafayette ladies!

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

wow, thanks. 

hey take it easy though, valpo--St. Elizabeth is one of my and my wife's favorite saints!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Hopefully a sign of things to come.  I was a little worried after the first 2 games
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusb1

A real test this weekend, New schedule posted for the tournament in Lafayette. In addition to playing the host #20 Ragin Cajun they will also play #4 Michigan in a rematch of their regional game. Good luck ladies!

valpotx

Good to see us testing ourselves against the best.  Softball and baseball have been our more successful teams in actually beating top teams
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Is our awesome lefty pitcher (Taylor) hurt?  She has only pitched once in 7 games, with our team going 2-5 so far
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Was with Angie Doerffler's parents tonight and was told that Taylor over slept, missed the plane and was left back in VU, she did not make the trip.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I understand the teaching lesson here, but we are now 2-6 without her, losing to teams we can beat.  Is she just being left for this week?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Vuoldtimer

Valpotx, first let me start by saying that we should not make excuses for unacceptable actions. Over sleeping and missing the team bus is not acceptable. The entire team, coaching staff and support personnel had the same expectation to be there on time and met it. With responsibility comes accountability and we must hold them accountable. Ms. Weissenhoffer irresponsibility hurt her team, and specifically the rest of the pitching staff that was forced to shoulder more innings this early in the season before their arms were in mid season game shape. Second, your reference to her as an awesome ace that VU can not win without disparaged (although I don't believe it was your intent) the other pitchers on the staff. This is a new year and in D1 College Athletics your place on a team has to be earned each year through performance on an off the field. Looking at the stats, in Ms. Pico's 22 innings as a starter, The offense has scored 4 runs. I believe in 3 of her 4 starts she pitched well enough to give her team an opportunity to win the game. The offense did not produce. Too many strike outs, pop ups and fly outs. Defense inconsistent at times also. I commend Ms. Pico for taking the ball, putting the team on her shoulders and doing what the coaching staff needed her to do which was give Valpo quality innings. She grew as a pitcher this weekend, mentally and physically.

valpotx

There was absolutely no disparagement in my comment, as it is simply a fact that Taylor is an awesome pitcher.  Though we shouldn't make excuses for unacceptable actions, it was oversleeping, not doing something illegal or majorly against team rules.  Is that worthy of a 7+ game suspension?  Absolutely not in my mind.  We had guys do something similar when I was playing, and they would sit out 2-3 games, and I assume that a similar suspension would happen on the team if it happened with Coach Schmack.  Pico is good as well most games she pitches, but a long suspension like this seems like a stretch.  One question on her oversleeping btw, but why didn't ANY of her teammates make sure that she was there?  In a team sport, you usually go together to places, and live near each other on campus.  Honestly, I could see Coach Twenge making us run because we didn't make sure that our teammate was there...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Vuoldtimer

Last years schedule was average at best. Ms Weissenhoffer is a good pitcher but no where near established with respect to skill set (mentally and physically and experience) that both the pitchers on the 2012 NCAA team.  If she continues to improve perhaps that will change. We will have to agree to disagree on the penalty of missing the bus. We don't know if her team mates tried or not or what the specifics were, but I fully support the Coaches decision because one person is not bigger than the team.

valpotx

They even have cell phones now, whereas 10 years ago they were very rare to have on campus, so we had to call via landline lol.  Seriously, how can you not make sure that your #1 pitcher shows up on time?  Does she have no friends on the team, that wanted to walk/drive to the bus together?  We always had groups of 4-5 guys show up to road trips together.  This just amazes me, more than our current record does, with how easy it is to reach someone with today's technology.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: Vuoldtimer on February 16, 2014, 09:01:59 PM
Last years schedule was average at best. Ms Weissenhoffer is a good pitcher but no where near established with respect to skill set (mentally and physically and experience) that both the pitchers on the 2012 NCAA team.  If she continues to improve perhaps that will change. We will have to agree to disagree on the penalty of missing the bus. We don't know if her team mates tried or not or what the specifics were, but I fully support the Coaches decision because one person is not bigger than the team.

Not sure why you felt it necessary to take a shot at her ("no where near established with respect to skill set..."). Last year's schedule may have been "average", but I'm sure part of the scheduling decisions were made based on the fact that the team would be relying on freshman pitchers and a freshman catcher.  Lots of unknowns.  Weissenhoffer may not be "as established", but did win 21 games including the first win in a NCAA  tournament  ever, something the senior pitchers from the year before couldn't manage.  As for the length of penalty, I think it may be as simple as that is how long the team will be away from Valpo.  The coach may have said "hey, if you want to pay your own way to get here, but you missed the bus so you are on your own..."  Who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Tx, I know this happened a couple of times with track teammates too. If they weren't on the bus, that was their fault. The coach made bus report twenty minutes before the bus would leave, and some teammates pushed that time, even if they lived in Guild/Memorial, so a lesson will be learned. I'm thinking the 7-game suspension will be a good message to the rest of the team to make the bus earlier than intended report time, regardless of how long the bus trip is for.

vusb1

There was no 7 game suspension. They played 5 games this weekend. And the pitching wasn't the problem this weekend. Both pitchers played well. Look at the box scores. Both need to limit the walks but both we impressive at times. The team played just well enough to loose. No huge run differential's. Just gave away to many outs. Next tournament won't be any easier. Hopefully they all learned to hate loosing enough this weekend. A lot of freshman on the field this weekend. Impressive at times and sloppy at times. Growing pains.

valpotx

Does that mean she will be allowed on the next trip if she gets up in time?  I was looking specifically at the UCA second game and Memphis game as ones where we allowed many more runs than usual.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusb1

Hope she can make the next trip. That would mean they have 3 options as starters.

valpotx

We are about to be 4-14, losing big to Boise State.  We are sure missing Brittany Duncan this year, while she is hitting in the 3 and 4 spots at Louisville during different games, and they are 10-6.  I think that it is crap that you can transfer to another D-1 school and play right away in baseball and softball, but not in basketball.  I have never heard a reason for this, does anyone know why she is able to play right away?  She left because she wanted to play against top competition, it had nothing to do with academic reasons, as evidenced by her quotes on her Louisville athletic profile.  I remember that when Sean Peickert transferred in from Creighton on our team, he was able to play right away too (same as Brian Wolotka from Butler).
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

1) We are about to be 4-14, losing big to Boise State.- Look to your coach. He is responsible not Britt.

2)   We are sure missing Brittany Duncan this year, while she is hitting in the 3 and 4 spots at Louisville during different games, and they are 10-6.- Again look to your coach. And by the way The Cards are now 12 and 6.

3) I think that it is crap that you can transfer to another D-1 school and play right away in baseball and softball, but not in basketball. Thems the rules. She asked to be released, The Coach, the compliance office and the NCAA said.... OK AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW CERTAIN GUIDELINES.... which we did.

4)  I have never heard a reason for this, does anyone know why she is able to play right away? - Because we followed the rules. Asked politely, diddnt muddy the waters. This is allowed as long as your compliance office approves it, It happens all the time in softball/Baseball. Go to the College softball forums and look at the transfers from one college to another in softball.

5)  She left because she wanted to play against top competition, it had nothing to do with academic reasons, as evidenced by her quotes on her Louisville athletic profile.- I believe I covered this when she transferred and I also posted here as to the reasons why.  She left to be closer to home, be closer to family, to be able to have that family attend games, To play in her family's home state. And yes to be able to play at a Major Level and contribute to that program.

The problem with Valpos record has nothing to do with Britt leaving Valpo Or her ability to play the next season without setting out. As far as their record........ I would suggest you look a little closer to home to find the reasons for that. 

valpotx

Since I played baseball at Valpo, and we had a few transfers that played right away, I am very well aware that it was all within the rules.  My question was more of why baseball/softball are able to play right away upon transferring, but basketball/football players have to sit out 1 year.  They also receive releases from their schools to transfer, but have to sit out?  It makes absolutely no sense for the NCAA to punish kids in a few sports, but not all, for moving on to another school.  The only reason I can think of would be relating to the fact that they (football/basketball) are revenue sports, while others are not.  They should have the same rule for all sports, whichever way they want to take it.  My comment about it being crap that she can play right away wasn't meant just about her specifically, just in general regarding baseball/softball transfers.

Instead of getting offended that I was referencing your daughter, you should take it as a compliment to her, in that I was saying that without her, we are not playing as well.  Just look at our team average around .240 or so.  With her hitting skills, a lot more would have happened.  In no way was I saying it is her fault, it was a comment meant to say that it would be great to still have her...

"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Chill out boomdad. What an embarrassing post. You missed the entire point of tx's post.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 10, 2014, 08:01:50 AMYou missed the entire point of tx's post.
noddingvigorously.gif

valporun

Tx, in terms of the difference in sports transfers, I think you answered yourself with the revenue sport vs. non-revenue sport. I agree, it isn't right that a baseball, softball, tennis, swimming, track athlete can transfer and play the next season, while a basketball and football player have to sit out, but I can only see it being the revenue issue that the NCAA focused on with this one. I'll do some research on this issue this week, maybe it is on the NCAA website somewhere?