• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2023

Started by IndyValpo, April 29, 2022, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 29, 2022, 08:59:48 AM
WR #15 RSFR Dom Grguric has entered the portal. 11 GP big on special teams.

Roster will look very different

valpo16, thanks to this board, I've learned a lot about how the transfer portal works in MBB, but I don't know as much about football.

Is this an unusual level of movement for a non-scholarship DI team? From a distance it seems like a lot of musical chairs going on, but that impression may be based on an old-time assumption that guys would stay at the same school to earn their degree, even if they didn't get the playing time they were hoping for. This is very different, yes?

valpofb16

Two ways to take this.

1) A lot of guys are coming back for fifth years meaning guys like Doerer, Grguric , Randall, Hunter wouldn't see the PT they are after

Or

2) there is overall problems with the program itself. Certain guys make sense in the portal. A few have not so far.

I think Valpo is a transient school regardless of athletics. I am more worried about an inter conference head coach Vacancy than the portal.

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 29, 2022, 11:43:00 AM
Two ways to take this.

1) A lot of guys are coming back for fifth years meaning guys like Doerer, Grguric , Randall, Hunter wouldn't see the PT they are after

Or

2) there is overall problems with the program itself. Certain guys make sense in the portal. A few have not so far.

I think Valpo is a transient school regardless of athletics. I am more worried about an inter conference head coach Vacancy than the portal.

Thank you for your response!

So this all gets back to big-picture discussions occurring frequently here, i.e., how to build a winning tradition and continuity into a program that has not been successful from a W-L standpoint.

JD24

With the ease Fox has had filling holes through the transfer portal, it shows that the transfer portal is definitely a two way street, isn't limited to Valpo and must be looked at from both vantage points.

valpofb16

New commit: 6'7 327 OT Gabe Rosen Evanston HS, Illinois

Other Offers: N/A

HS Rank: 3100

Commits:
RB: Beidl
OL: Thorgesen, Rosen

valpotx

You can't teach size, but you also can't teach natural instincts, so hopefully he at least has some of those, as well!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

QB Teryn Berry has entered the portal

valpotx

Not a surprise, so hopefully Appel stays at this point
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofb16

#1 Keyon Turner has entered xfer portal. freshman All American had several personal fouls and benchings this season.

valpofb16

#25 Jahni Clarke has entered the portal.

soapyjeans

Well, losing 2 WR off the bat like that is scary but not unexpected, its the ole, "use them or lose them" song.  The roster indeed will look very different if this is glimpse of others joining that transfer portal.

valpofb16

FR CB #14 Anthony Hightower is in portal, was 3rd or 4th FR Cb.

Really interested on how you transfer from non scholarship with no playing time

soapyjeans

Looks like majority of guys entering are doing it because of no playing time. 

JD24

800 players in the FBS portal on day one. I imagine FCS is worse.

VULB#62

Quote from: JD24 on December 06, 2022, 11:56:35 AM
800 players in the FBS portal on day one. I imagine FCS is worse.

And if you listened to Dion Sanders' "pep talk" to his new Colorado players, 700 of those in the portal probably entered from CU.  ;)

valpofb16

#48 Jackson Dorr has entered portal. Means Matthes is back?

valpofb16

Starting WR Matt Ross has entered portal as a grad Xfer.

valpofb16

Reserve RSFR RB Andre Tarver has entered the portal

valpofb16

RSJR Jordan Bingham WR has entered portal as a grad xfer.

This makes Grguric/Ross transfers that much worse. 2018 vibes all around. Hopefully Fox isn't another domino. No word on Dayton job.

soapyjeans

That makes 4 WR Valpo is losing!   :o

valpofb16

KR Josh Becton has entered the transfer portal as a RSSO.

That's 5 wideouts gone

soapyjeans

WR #15 RSFR Dom Grguric has committed to Bowling Green offer (FBS)

vu72

Remember folks, the transfer portal works two ways, those trying to play at a higher level and those seeking playing time/reps at a lower level... We'll be fine.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: soapyjeans on December 09, 2022, 09:19:57 AM
WR #15 RSFR Dom Grguric has committed to Bowling Green offer (FBS)
If he snagged a scholarship good for him. I see he is 100% committed to BG. Just 2 years ago he was 100% committed to Valpo.
In the transfer portal world these guys need to find new ways to announce a commitment.

soapyjeans

Well maybe these transfer portal kids are discovering the difference between a rushing game program and a passing game program.  That would sorta explain Valpo losing so many WR, just guessing here though.