• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023 Spring Game

Started by valpofb16, March 17, 2023, 07:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

According to 2023 junior day invited spring game will be played on April 30.

Some Qs

Offense:

- Who gets carries at RB?
- Who replaces Byrd at LT?
- is there a 3rd QB on roster?
- What type of system is Symmes running?
- Who lines up at WR?

Defense:

- Who replaces Sherman at Safety?
- Which of the redshirts take a leap?

General:

-Of three transfers (Tezzo,Pauley,Geiman) who will start in 2023?

valpofb16

DL Niko Paic has moved to OL , much needed move

valpofb16

Also it appears Valpo had an actual pro day today. Which would be a program first. Colts / Lions apparently were on-site.

Need to start somewhere

FBFan22

We'll get an idea on Saturday, April 15th.  Team is having a Junior Day recruiting event and will have a scrimmage. 

Only question that can be answered to this point is the 3rd QB.  Jeffrey Jackson is still with the team.

historyman

Quote from: valpofb16 on March 27, 2023, 04:31:38 PM
Also it appears Valpo had an actual pro day today. Which would be a program first. Colts / Lions apparently were on-site.

Need to start somewhere

Good to hear both the Colts & Lions are looking for diamonds in the rough but if you have ever seen the Colts facility just off I-465 and 56th Street on the near northwest side of Indy you wouldn't want to show them Valpo's facilities.

https://www.colts.com/photos/indiana-farm-bureau-football-center-15883468#f924f7d0-dac4-473e-885c-8609f601a23a

I know, it's the NFL.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpofb16

Jackson being with the team as a 6th year is rather interesting.

Had Kaplan role in 2021 , deep reserve last year til injury. Showed grit against Morehead. Good leadership to have back.

It's a shame Ross and Files didn't do their homework before the portal. Could use them both

FBFan22

Beautiful day on campus yesterday for the first of 2 recuitimg "Junior Days" and a scrimmage.  Huge turnout of recruits and their families. The team scimmaged for a little over an hour.  Quick observations:

1. Defense is going to be legit.  The energy and excitment they are playing with is fun to watch.
2. Offense is very similar schematically to last season.  Appel looked confident and in contol - leading the offense to a couple scores.
3. The RB trio of Mann, Labas, Vercher was solid. 
4. Davis (WR) did not participate.  Hopefully nothing serious.  Without him, the offense lacked a deep threat.
4. OL is a work in progress.  Only 7 players dressed for practice yesterday.  They battled all day, but are going to need some help for the fall.
5. Place Kicker (sorry, don't know his name) was a pleasant surprise.   He's going to be an asset. .

All in all - it was a good day for Valpo football.   Can't wait to see them compete again in the spring game on April 30. 

valpofb16

Thanks for the update 22! Keep 'em coming.

Whoever #2 was for the offense looked like a B10 athlete. Is that Verchers new number? Future is bright there

FBFan22

#2 was TE Jalen Jones.  The TE room is rock solid.

valpofb16

Interesting

Very hard to argue talent in that room Vickers and Jernegan have been very successful.

Jones should see the field as well and Max Carter had FBS PWOs.

I wonder if some of the larger framed deep reserves Hooper / Dawson can add weight and help out at tackle

valpofb16

Doubtful but any chance of streaming?

FBFan22

Valpo Football Parent group on facebook is your best bet.  They had a live stream for the Junior Day on April 15. 

valpofb16

Spring game today. I completely get Brandon and Paul have been slammed with Powell hiring

But

I hope we get more than "game happened, both teams played hard, looking forward to fall" in the write up

Paul's primer was awesome last year

VULB#62

Valpo FB Twitter site says it's tomorrow, the 30th.  The 10am arrival is for the beginning of Junior Day.

https://twitter.com/CoachPrevost/status/1649076428183314432?s=20

talksalot

Spring game festivities will be begin at 1255pm with quick unit exercises and  starting line up intros shortly after 1pm

There will be 4 10-minute running clock quarters.

Bring a rain coat.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpofb16 on April 29, 2023, 07:47:00 AM
Spring game today. I completely get Brandon and Paul have been slammed with Powell hiring

But

I hope we get more than "game happened, both teams played hard, looking forward to fall" in the write up

Paul's primer was awesome last year

I'll be out there and will have coverage about the team. There will be more than the aforementioned.

valpofb16

JD24

Just an off the cuff thought...isn't it odd to play a spring game on a Sunday?

valpofb16

Something to monitor, new RB coach Joe Sengel has blacked out his Twitter and deleted everything Valpo

While old RB coach Will Johnson has been tagged with the new coordinators in tweets.

This being after we lost our initial new RB coach to Purdue.

valpofb16

Appears defense dominated the offense today via Paul.

Keefe put together only scoring drive.

Transfers Pauley, Geiman , Pouba all started. Mann led team in rushing.

Good news is that Appel had strings of completions. Tezzo and Jimenez will help as summer transfers. Defense is really good and Franco, Miller, Annis don't even start.

Looks like the capability of a top 25 defense is there. Offense needs some life

FBFan22

Defense had a good day yesterday.  They are going to be very good.  Geiman is the real deal at corner - great addition.  DL and LBs are the strength of the team at this point.

Offense is a work in progress.  OL is the biggest concern - must get them some help for the fall.  I love the OL recruiting class that's coming in, but, they are freshmen and likely won't be ready to contribute this season.  In my opinion, they need a couple portal guys up front.

Bright spots on offense:
* Cam Livingston had a nice day at WR.  He had 4-5 catches. 
* Ryan Mann runs the ball hard.  He busted multiple runs over 10 yards.  Don't be surprised if he's the starting RB this fall.
* Appel had 2 long drives inside the red zone.  First one was a missed FG.  2nd one was 1st & G before the running clock expired at halftime.
* Rowan Keefe is healthy and led a scoring drive.  Glad to see him on the field after missing most of the fall

Pgmado

Matt Martin led with three catches for 49 yards. Cam Livingston had two catches for 13 yards. Quarterbacks finished 17-31 for 170 yards. Not a lot of time to throw.

David81

A few months ago, I asked the braintrust here for ballpark assessments on how top D3 performance translated into non-scholarship D1 performance. Their answer: Quite well. Sounds like Geiman is proving their point quite well!

valpofb16

Geiman will probably be best pro prospect on next years team. Looks like Dawson cleared weekend without any camp invites.

Still need 2-3 upper class men linemen this summer. Would like an RB and a DB xfer.

Paul had a great note that next Saturday is last day kids can submit info to transfer portal and maintain eligibility. Roster about 115 right now, could see 5-7 guys head out

David81

Quote from: valpofb16 on May 01, 2023, 04:37:38 PM
Geiman will probably be best pro prospect on next years team. Looks like Dawson cleared weekend without any camp invites.

Still need 2-3 upper class men linemen this summer. Would like an RB and a DB xfer.

Paul had a great note that next Saturday is last day kids can submit info to transfer portal and maintain eligibility. Roster about 115 right now, could see 5-7 guys head out

When I read that Dawson ran a 4.83 40, I had a feeling that he faces an uphill battle to play at a next level. We know he plays faster than that, but he needs an opportunity. Hopefully he can clip that 40 time and get a chance with one of the spring leagues.

I hope the offensive performance was more due to prowess on D than because of all the departures, but it sounds like a mix.