• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Former VU Football player decked, arrested

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, May 15, 2012, 05:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/12548512-537/former-vu-football-player-punched-by-woman-he-grabbed.html

Don't want to make too light of a sad situation, but the article does not mention whether the 39-year old woman played for Youngstown State.

Hope he's OK.  I always knew that was a rough part of town, but sheesh!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

swiftmutiny

I noticed he's not smiling.  ;) Also, I think the line "Do not move or I will be on your back like a monkey" deserves some recognition. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but she'll probably look back and laugh at that a few years down the road.  :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad nobody was seriously injured, besides maybe his pride. I take it he no longer goes to VU (it says he used to play football, but not whether he's still at the university)?

vu72

So you can effectively be arrested for "drunken walking"?  All Gokan was doing is walking home.  He cooperated.  The other guy caused all the problem and Cody gets arrested?  Say it isn't so!!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

What a moron if this is all true.  I agree that Cody should not have been arrested, if all he was doing was being drunk.  It doesn't sound like he made much of a disturbance
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Maybe she meant to say "I'm gonna come at you like a SPIDER MONKEY"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

setshot

He probably was a KIP or a Phi PSi. Hell, Theta Chi's are too sober a bunch to act like that ???

LaPorteAveApostle

Reminds me of my favorite story as a kid (late 80s early 90s)...

one of my mom's students recalled walking up Union Street one day and watching a girl burst out the Theta Chi door and walking very fast.

The brother who had offended her stood in the doorway.  Think Stallone voice.

"LAURIE.
HEY, LAURIE!!!
I THINK I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

She never even broke stride, let alone turned around.

VULB#62

This is from the 2010 Roster.  Wenzel did not appear on the following year roster.

20    Patrick Wenzel   LB   6-1   205   So.   Woodstock, Ill./Marian Central Catholic

Given the current atmosphere about athletes and acceptable behavior, Cody, regardless of what he did, is in deep sneakers with Carlson I would imagine.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on May 15, 2012, 05:33:07 PM
So you can effectively be arrested for "drunken walking"?  All Gokan was doing is walking home.  He cooperated.  The other guy caused all the problem and Cody gets arrested?  Say it isn't so!!   :o

you can be arrested for public intox if you're outside a bar and visibly drunk, much less trying to walk home.

Valpo89

I am puzzled as to why it says "former" VU football player.
Gokan is listed as a fifth year senior on the 2012-13 roster on the web site.
The photo in the story is of Wenzel, not Gokan.

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 16, 2012, 09:22:42 AM
I am puzzled as to why it says "former" VU football player.
Gokan is listed as a fifth year senior on the 2012-13 roster on the web site.
The photo in the story is of Wenzel, not Gokan.

Because Wenzel is a former player?  Gokan is on the team for this next year, but he wasn't the one decked.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Gotcha 72. I had to read this a third time to follow the whole story. I thought it was Gokan who lost the teeth. Didn't realize Wenzel was also a former player until I read this thread.
Just another example of the Tuesday Police Blotter reporting on the craziness that results from a weekend of free time and alcohol. Kids in Valpo have to realize, if you do something stupid, you will get caught. AND, as in the Brandon Wood case, a prime example of "nothing good happens after midnight." I use that line with my 20-year-old daughter all the time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on May 16, 2012, 11:16:17 AM"nothing good happens after midnight."

the problem with this is the inflation.  in days gone by it used to be "eleven"; then midnight; now thanks to dreck like "How I Met Your Mother" it's "2 am".

bbtds

My son, who just got done with his sophomore year of college, makes 2:00 a.m. "dates" to see his buddies who he has texted regularly since high school graduation.