• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

He is ambitious, but may not be realistic.  His average of 7.7 ppg and late transfer will only allow something to similar or smaller schools.  The MAC might be a fit.
Quote from: valpotx on May 21, 2013, 10:08:23 AMIt isn't like he is Brandon Wood scoring all over the place, and moving on to Michigan State...
nor is his name Curry and going to Duke.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on May 21, 2013, 10:07:00 AMI don't think there is a scholarship available for him this year is there?
There is if/when Alex Rossi gets Kurthed. :/

Quote from: valpotx on May 21, 2013, 10:08:23 AMIt looks like he is targeting 'high major' schools. 
I quote from the first link on 75's post above:
Quoteacademically I know a lot of schools won't have my major
...which, ok, that's intriguing...what is it?
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/johnny_hill_758016.html
QuoteMajor: apparel, merchandising and design •
BZZZT
officerbarbri.gif

NOTE:  CO beat me to it, but this venerable thread has just broken the 50K views and now the 1K posts mark.  Something that may never happen again.  We owe this all to you, 89!

EDIT:  also, this guy started 26 of 33 games for a pretty decent MVC school last year as a sophomore.  These guys don't normally leave school.  Problem is, three of his teammates have already bailed, which may have contributed to that...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo95

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 21, 2013, 01:31:04 PM

Now, the first time I read this post, I wondered why any fans would have a site for gored animals (something out of Exodus 21?).  Turns out the meaning is very different if one reads it GoRedBirds rather than GoredBirds...

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 20, 2013, 12:15:47 PMThat's correct. We have discussed this once before. When Gueye decommitted that opened up a position at center for Kevin, and we have been thankful ever since. Now it would be nice symmetry if Gueye returns to fill Kevin's spot, and he flourishes in the role.
I think Gueye can and will flourish in the role.  He appears to be a good role player, and does not want to step out to hit the three.  I don't recall his APG, but it would be fun to watch the ball go through him, and him finding the open man for an easy bucket three or four times a game.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 21, 2013, 01:31:04 PMNOTE:  CO beat me to it, but this venerable thread has just broken the 50K views and now the 1K posts mark.  Something that may never happen again.  We owe this all to you, 89!
Check out this one on the SLU board. 3,444 posts since March, 2013 as I write this and soon to increase in the next few minutes. Same subject even but much less intelligent.  8)

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23881

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on May 21, 2013, 04:47:47 PMSame subject even but much less intelligent.
Still, you have to credit them for being that attentive to Valpo's recruiting.

Quote from: covufan on May 21, 2013, 03:56:02 PMI don't recall his APG, but it would be fun to watch the ball go through him, and him finding the open man for an easy bucket three or four times a game.
That'd be nice.  It won't happen.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/alabama/moussa-gueye?plusminus=1&tslug=alabama&per_game=1&tempo_neutral=1&game_type=1&totals=1&pslug=moussa-gueye&per_40=1&chart1=assists&chart2=assists_avg&chart3=assist_pct

Not his game.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 21, 2013, 05:57:05 PMQuote from: covufan on Today at 03:56:02 PM
I don't recall his APG, but it would be fun to watch the ball go through him, and him finding the open man for an easy bucket three or four times a game.
That'd be nice.  It won't happen.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/alabama/moussa-gueye?plusminus=1&tslug=alabama&per_game=1&tempo_neutral=1&game_type=1&totals=1&pslug=moussa-gueye&per_40=1&chart1=assists&chart2=assists_avg&chart3=assist_pct

Not his game.
Maybe with a little coaching...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on May 21, 2013, 06:51:14 PMMaybe with a little coaching...
All things are possible with Bryce, but seeing as a) no coach wants his offensively-limited 7-footer to become a black hole and b) his numbers actually ot worse his second year, I wouldn't plan on him becoming Greg Monroe by November :)

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo95 on May 21, 2013, 02:58:58 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 21, 2013, 01:31:04 PM

Now, the first time I read this post, I wondered why any fans would have a site for gored animals (something out of Exodus 21?).  Turns out the meaning is very different if one reads it GoRedBirds rather than GoredBirds...
Glad I wasn't the only one ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Guess I was probably the only one who read "Gore D-Birds".

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 21, 2013, 08:03:08 PM
Guess I was probably the only one who read "Gore D-Birds".

Yep, I was thinking Vice Presidential roller derby too.  ;D

vu72

I was just thinking (a dangerous passtime for me) about Moussa and some comments about his lack of scoring and what impact he might have on our team.  The thinking part had to do with looking at the compitition he played and how that might relate or be much different playing in the Horizon.  We've seen Bobby (who didn't do anything at Indiana) and Cory (who didn't do anything at Iowa State), as examples, come into Valpo and do much better.

Now, we all loved Kevin, but how did Kevin do against BCS competition?  The answer is not good.  In his last game playing for Valpo he played 21 minutes, had 2 points, 7 boards and 0 blocks.  In 10 games played against this level (I included games last year against SLU and New Mexico) he averaged 22 minutes 8 points, 5 boards and 0 blocks. Against Ohio State he played 23 minutes, had 0 points, 2 boards and 1 block!!

Now look at Moussa, who averaged 3.6 boards and 1.9 blocks against SEC teams this last season.  As I pointed out in an earlier post, he had 4 points, 5 boards and 5 blocks against Kentucky and Nerlens Noel.  More to the point, Alabama played Oakland earlier last year.  Moussa played 20 minutes, had 4 points, 9 boards and 2 blocks.

My guess is that he will perform, on average, along the lines of his Oakland game.  If he can average 4 points, 7-8 boards and 2 blocks per game while not turning the ball over too much, we all will be happy.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on May 22, 2013, 09:47:00 AMMy guess is that he will perform, on average, along the lines of his Oakland game.  If he can average 4 points, 7-8 boards and 2 blocks per game while not turning the ball over too much, we all will be happy.
Good thinking, good analysis, and yeah--I'll say 6, 9, and 2.5! :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Another name to throw into the transfer pot--Iowa's Patrick Ingram (would be a RS sophomore after sitting out this coming year).

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013305160059

Saving you the click:
QuoteFormer North Central guard and 2012 IndyStar Indiana All-Star Patrick Ingram is starting the recruiting process over again as Iowa announced this week that he planned to transfer from the school.

The 6-2 Ingram averaged 0.9 points and 0.6 rebounds as a freshman. He said his transfer was driven more by family issues than basketball.

"There were a lot of things I was dealing with at home at about the midpoint of the season and that came into my decision to play closer to home," he said. "It wasn't really a basketball decision, it was just multiple things at home. Although I didn't get to play a lot, I felt like I could play against these people. I felt like I got better and my coaches told me I got better. I feel like I can bring a lot of grittiness to a team and bring what I learned here to another school."

Ingram said Purdue and Loyola (Ill.) were schools he had interest in. Ball State, Wright State, Evansville, Valparaiso, IPFW, Loyola, Eastern Kentucky, Indiana State and IUPUI are among schools that have expressed interest.

Notice the non-reciprocated interest.  Not sure why Loyola's on there twice, unless it's because Purdue is not requiting the love.  Probably that.

I'll save you your typing:

78crusader:  He sounds terrible.  Couldn't even score a point a game for the NIT runner-up.  Why would we want a loser like that?
Paul.

classof2014:  i bet he's a high-flying all-star.  He could dominate the HL and give us a fleet stable of guards.

a3uge:  Look, dude, nobody we get is going to make you happy.  We get that.  Try to bear with us.

HC: Wait, since when do we have a scholarship to give?  I would like to get in on that if it's up for grabs.

LaPorteAveApostle:  [bunch of stats and facts and pictures and semiwitty tropes that took too long to write and so no one reads]

SadersOfTheLostArc: My friends in this administration have told me that Richard Nixon will be the next coach.  It's quite a get, especially considering he's dead.  Like, really, really dead.  Hey, anyone miss me yet?

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PMLaPorteAveApostle:  [bunch of stats and facts and pictures and semiwitty tropes that took too long to write and so no one reads]

One out of five----yikes, a bit low.   ::)

What did you just write?   ;D

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PMa3uge:  Look, dude, nobody we get is going to make you happy.  We get that.  Try to bear with us.

Pshh, totally unrealistic. I'm not that well at grammar.

classof2014

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PMclassof2014:  i bet he's a high-flying all-star.  He could dominate the HL and give us a fleet stable of guards.

Could be the answer to all our problems.

But... let us not forget Rossi is still on scholarship, as far as we know. So all of the scholarship spots are taken for the 2013-14 season right now.

ARCInsider

Rossi's scholarship will be available.  I've heard from a good source that his health will not allow him to play again.

valpotx

That's sad to hear for Rossi.  In such a situation, is he able to keep the scholarship to finish school, or would he have to get other aid (if needed)?
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

What football has is a "medical scholarship", which allows the person to keep a scholarship while not being on the team and thus not having their scholarship count against team totals.  Nick Saban uses it so often that some bloggers derisively call it "St. Saban's Memorial Hospital" for the higher number of injuries that occur there. (Also LSU.)

I'm not certain if basketball has the same thing...but perhaps that's what they did to Cam Witt?  I don't remember as I wasn't around these here parts then?

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on May 29, 2013, 10:32:26 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:34:36 PMa3uge:  Look, dude, nobody we get is going to make you happy.  We get that.  Try to bear with us.

Pshh, totally unrealistic. I'm not that well at grammar.
Very good played ;)

butlerway

Looks like Valpo is one of 14 schools recruiting Kyle Guy.  He has been on a visit there already.

QuoteIn addition to Butler, Guy has also visited in-state schools Indiana, Purdue, and Valparaiso.  Notre Dame, Xavier, Indiana State, Colorado, Elon, Standford, Iowa, Dayton, Michigan, and Ohio State have also contacted him.  He says the primary factors in choosing a school will be the education, the coaches, and the fan base.

butlerhoops.com/blog/recruiting-spotlight-kyle-guy

valpopal

Quote from: ARCInsider on May 29, 2013, 08:03:50 PM
Rossi's scholarship will be available.  I've heard from a good source that his health will not allow him to play again.

If this is true, then a transfer should be added in the next few weeks since he would likely attend the second semester of summer school with other new players, and that semester begins July 1.

LaPorteAveApostle

Is that typical, that all the players take Summer II, or is it just the incomers?

valpo64