• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote from: wh on May 11, 2013, 05:41:14 PM
According to an article I read the asst at WF that recruited him is now at BYU and convinced him to go there.  He also mentioned that one of the reasons for his diminished playing time this past season was a strategy change by the coaching staff to go with more athletic guards.  That seems to be exactly what Bryce and Roger are recruiting almost exclusively (and what has been lacking in the past) are guards with speed that can create their own shot and also have range.  The last thing this kid would want to do find himself in a similar situation at Valpo.  Probably made a wise choice. 

I agree. I think Valpo is starting to look for speed and athleticism. If it was one thing this past team needed was a flat out athlete. No offense to Matt Kenney but he wasn't the athletic type to beat big named teams. Don't get me wrong Kenney was very good but wasn't quite the athlete. To win against big teams you need guys who are athletic and that's what they're going after. They used to go after the kids who can shoot. Now it's the athletes that can shoot. To win in this league you need to score and when shooters are off, which from time to time happends, you need another way to score. I think in many of their losses this past season, they needed the athletic ability to make up for a poor shooting output.

With guys like: Adekoya, Carter, Davidson, Peters, Williams, and Yeo. They went for athleticism instead of the shooter. And with names on the board like Brian Greene, Aaron Jordan, Nick Rogers, Tai Odiase, they're looking for kids who can are more athletic than the other team.

Two years ago, Fischer would've been a good fit for this team this year. I think that's why Coleman didn't see much time this year. The team identity was shooting not dunking. I think this year we'll see a new Valpo team that many of us has never seen before.

Get your popcorn ready boys and girls cuz they gonna be puttin' on a show!

valpotx

I have to respectfully disagree in your assessment of Kenney.  He was one hell of an athlete, but he lacked the decision-making skills to beat big name programs.  It wasn't his athleticism that was getting him into trouble, it was his jumping before he knew what he was doing, and dribbling straight into people at times.  He was one of the best overall athletes we have had in a long time....
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on May 11, 2013, 09:13:53 PM
I have to respectfully disagree in your assessment of Kenney.  He was one hell of an athlete, but he lacked the decision-making skills to beat big name programs.  It wasn't his athleticism that was getting him into trouble, it was his jumping before he knew what he was doing, and dribbling straight into people at times.  He was one of the best overall athletes we have had in a long time....

Yes, he was an athlete and one great athlete. But he wasn't the athlete that was the difference maker in the game. That's more or less what I was referring to, not that he wasn't an athlete because he certainly was.

Nothing against Matt Kenney but he wasn't the athlete they needed as an X-Factor in being able to beet the MSU, NM, and SLUs.

valpopal

Bradley got a 2013 commit today from Xzavier Taylor. Folks on their fan message board seem to believe that was the last scholarship available for the upcoming year, which would count out Greene for Bradley.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on May 12, 2013, 06:17:53 PMXzavier Taylor
looks like a high point scorer--if they just signed him for their Scrabble team
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

So he's down to the choice...

Does he want to win?

Or go to a school with a history of never winning?

Tough choice IMO...

vufan75

Wonder if we might hear any recruiting news today? Isn't today the end of the current NLI signing period? I think the dates are 4/17 thru 5/15. But I think I've read on the board that in any upcoming season that players can still receive a scholly without signing an NLI anyway? And it seems there are still players at least as of yesterday still declaring they are transferring from their current school. Any ideas or speculation as to whether Bryce will use his last scholly now or perhaps "save" it to use in the following season? With all the recent campus visits, including some from transfers, seems that Bryce would like to use that scholarship now and add a player to the mix.

vu72

Quote from: vufan75 on May 15, 2013, 09:08:43 AM
Wonder if we might hear any recruiting news today? Isn't today the end of the current NLI signing period? I think the dates are 4/17 thru 5/15. But I think I've read on the board that in any upcoming season that players can still receive a scholly without signing an NLI anyway? And it seems there are still players at least as of yesterday still declaring they are transferring from their current school. Any ideas or speculation as to whether Bryce will use his last scholly now or perhaps "save" it to use in the following season? With all the recent campus visits, including some from transfers, seems that Bryce would like to use that scholarship now and add a player to the mix.

Being the "master of the obvious" I will say that Bryce would use it only if the right kid came along.  He has a very solid group on the team now but, if an exceptional kid came along--someone with experience--not another freshman, he would jump at the chance.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Jared Drew from Indy Cathedral is leaving SLU. Some think he was forced out by Gym Cruise.

vufan75

2013 updated transfer list according to cbssports.com and their college basketball insider Jeff Goodman. It was updated today.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22007798/transfer-list-first-edition

Quite a long list of players looking to make a move to a new school and transfer again this year. But unless it is a graduating student, a transfer would not help us next season with having to sit out a year. But they certainly could help the team and push players hard in practice and also acclimate to a new system and coaches (ala David Chadwick, Keith Carter, Alex Rossi, Bobby C., Lavonte Dority, etc).

I think an earlier post that was briefly discussed re: Bradley being out of scholarships is correct. So that would be one less school vying for Brian Greene, the Auburn transfer from Chicago.   

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm not sure how it works, but today is the NLI deadline.  The question is, how does that affect it?

I looked back--March 20 we announced LVD and Coleman, and May 2 was Rossi.  So at this point last year all was set.

Hoping for news today--but as some here infer, no news can be good news too :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Does the NLI deadline have anything at all to do with transfers?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: vufan75 on May 15, 2013, 10:44:53 AM
2013 updated transfer list according to cbssports.com and their college basketball insider Jeff Goodman. It was updated today.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22007798/transfer-list-first-edition

Quite a long list of players looking to make a move to a new school and transfer again this year. But unless it is a graduating student, a transfer would not help us next season with having to sit out a year. But they certainly could help the team and push players hard in practice and also acclimate to a new system and coaches (ala David Chadwick, Keith Carter, Alex Rossi, Bobby C., Lavonte Dority, etc).

I think an earlier post that was briefly discussed re: Bradley being out of scholarships is correct. So that would be one less school vying for Brian Greene, the Auburn transfer from Chicago.   
I have not heard anything about Jacob Lawson from Purdue.  A 6'8" PF with two years remaining.  A year to bulk up and Bobby C graduating, he could fit in nicely.

classof2014

Does anybody know if any other transfers, besides Greene, that are still on the market that have shown interest in Valpo or Valpo shown interest in?

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on May 15, 2013, 11:03:01 AM
Does the NLI deadline have anything at all to do with transfers?

Today's deadline doesn't have anything to do with transfers, and I believe it applies only to 2013 high school commitments. I have to believe Bryce is not looking to add another high school recruit, but is working on getting a transfer for the last available scholarship spot (assuming Rossi is healthy and returning).

In the past transfers and overseas recruits have arrived on campus in time to enroll for at least one summer session of classes. Therefore, the dates to keep in mind are May 21 and July 1, which are the opening days of the two summer sessions.

historyman

ok. well, 6 more days is 6 more days.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130515/SPORTS/305150036/Former-Cathedral-standout-Jared-Drew-looks-new-school-after-parting-ways-St-Louis

Per this Indy Star story Jared Drew is going to ask the NCAA for an exemption on sitting out another year (2 in a row) after being blindsided by Jim Crews and the SLU athletic dept when his scholarship was not renewed. I wonder what that will do for SLU recruiting in the future.

humbleopinion

I have not seen the term JUCO used in a while.  I would like to think that Bryce has not given up on that front to give immediate help.
Beamin' Beacons

vufan75

Quote from: bbtds on May 15, 2013, 03:11:18 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130515/SPORTS/305150036/Former-Cathedral-standout-Jared-Drew-looks-new-school-after-parting-ways-St-Louis

Per this Indy Star story Jared Drew is going to ask the NCAA for an exemption on sitting out another year (2 in a row) after being blindsided by Jim Crews and the SLU athletic dept when his scholarship was not renewed. I wonder what that will do for SLU recruiting in the future.
An article from a St. Louie newspaper confirming what bbtds mentions, that SLU did not renew Drew's scholarship. Nice job SLU of creating negative publicity for your program. I know scholarships are year to year, but I hope not many schools pull the rug from under players like this. And this young man was just completing his freshman year. I'm assuming he was redshirted as he did not play at all? Would be a little ironic if by some chance he landed at Valpo, as Keith Carter also transferred from SLU. We would then have both SLU recruits from last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/jared-drew-transfers-from-slu/article_681e6336-6d38-5152-a2fa-c6d8ef37d132.html   

bbtds

A reaction from the SLU message board:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24344&page=2

Look at the third response on page 2.

If Drew (perfect name for a Valpo student/athlete) wants retribution against SLU then beating them at Valpo is a great motivator. Show them what they gave up on. We'd have 1 or 2 highly motivated (depending on whether the game is scheduled before or after Carter's eligibility period starts) players in that game if Jared Drew came to Valpo, only a 2.5 hour drive from north Indy.

vu72

Wow! I don't know exactly what to say.  Remember, he WAS a five star recruit and on paper was clearly the highest rated recruit ever for Valpo.  He has clearly also fizzled as a player but he is now experienced at a high major level and might just be a major force at the Horizon League level.  He, together with our existing or new guys will solve any rebounding issue we may have had. 

Can you imagine Bobby, Moussa and Vashil on the court at once?  Should be fun...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Am I imagining things if I express a high level of deja vu over this name?  Wasn't there a recruit by that name more than a couple of years ago who was earmarked to Valpo, perhaps derailed by the NCAA Clearinghouse and ended up going elsewhere?

vu72

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 15, 2013, 08:41:46 PM
Am I imagining things if I express a high level of deja vu over this name?  Wasn't there a recruit by that name more than a couple of years ago who was earmarked to Valpo, perhaps derailed by the NCAA Clearinghouse and ended up going elsewhere?

Same guy. Signed with Valpo and then literally left because the weather was too cold.  I talked to Bryce at the time and he said that if Homer and Bryce were coaching in a warmer climate he would have stayed.  Apparently this last "mild" winter convinced him to re-think the decision!!

valpopal

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 15, 2013, 08:26:49 PM
http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12745/crusaders-announce-addition-of-gueye-for-2013-2014-season/

I had heard rumors of this, but I dismissed them. He wasn't very productive at Alabama, and I didn't think we'd want to take a chance with him again. However, the coaches must have faith that he has matured and they can improve his game over the summer, since he is eligible to play this fall. Let's hope he is a late bloomer.