• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Next Season and Beyond

Started by VULB#62, March 22, 2013, 08:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote I don't believe we should go to the MVC,

Starting to believe that the move to the MVC makes more sense. Doesn't seem like the Horizon will expand and the MVC might offer them a spot and I'd say Valpo should take it since I think other teams: Loyola, UIC, Youngstown, and possibly Detroit leaving this year. If offered I don't see how we can turn it down based on the state of the league.

valpotx

Where in the world do you get your information that YSU and Detroit are leaving?  It looks like the A-10 is replacing it's lost teams with teams on the East coast (Detroit been mentioned in past, but not seeming likely), and the MVC is not going to invite Loyola/UIC/Detroit to their conference either.  Are we sure that 2014 is not another character of Saders/dcvalpo/etc?  ::)
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Loyola and UIC have both been mentioned about drawing MVC interest.

classof2014

I never said Detroit was going to get invited to the MVC, just remembered hearing some rumors in the past about them in the new Catholic league, maybe not this upcoming season but perhaps they're gone in another year or two. The only 3 from the Horizon might be Loyola, UIC, and Valpo. Valpo is the most likely but I can see them offering Loyola and UIC to get the Chicago market.

YSU did shock me but
QuoteI've heard YSU might be trying to get out of the HL, too, cuz they need an FBS football conf now that Big 10 won't play FCS anymore
according to Rob Demovsky. YSU wants to be in an FBS, conference. Not sure how true it is but it was something that I heard within the past 24 hours.

The most likely thing to happen is (a) Valpo to MVC, (b) everything stays the same, (c) Valpo, Loyola, and UIC to the MVC. All 3 are possibilities, I think the first two are more probable than the latter. I don't see right now Detroit or YSU leaving but they have shown interest in possibly leaving which only adds fuel to the current unstable state of the Horizon.

valpotx

Quote from: HC on April 01, 2013, 03:18:49 PM
Loyola and UIC have both been mentioned about drawing MVC interest.

I know that, but was speaking to my opinion that they are not attractive options for the MVC as far as their main revenue sport.  I only see Loyola/UIC leaving the HL if Valpo is offered first, and the MVC wants to be at 12 teams.

The only conference that makes any sense for YSU is the MAC.  They have wanted to be FBS for many years, going back to my time at Valpo, but I don't believe that the MAC has been interested in the past.  Maybe that changes now, but it doesn't seem like they are losing schools at the moment.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on April 01, 2013, 03:35:48 PMThe only conference that makes any sense for YSU is the MAC.  They have wanted to be FBS for many years, going back to my time at Valpo, but I don't believe that the MAC has been interested in the past.  Maybe that changes now, but it doesn't seem like they are losing schools at the moment.
The way things are going it is best to be proactive.  I think that YSU to the MAC makes a lot of sense with football being the driver for so many of these changes.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 26, 2013, 05:10:40 PMNot advancing the last two years is also an anomaly, as the Horizon had won 22 NCAA tournament games over the previous 17 seasons.  There aren't many (if any) non-BCS conferences that can match that success.
True.  However, 10 of those wins came in 2010 and 2011.  The Horizon has sent 24 teams to the NCAA tournament in those 17 years - a 22-24 record.  Also, Butler has 16 of those victories - all coming in their 7 bids during the years 2001-2011.  Butler as HL rep in those 17 years: a 16-10 record.  The rest of the HL: 6-14.  I'd say the anomaly is Butler going to the final game two years in a row, although with Stevens and moving to Big East2, it won't be an anomaly for Butler - only the HL.

valpopal

From Twitter, new head coach Craig Neal reports New Mexico will not play at Valparaiso:

Craig Neal: UNM will not play at Valpo in December. Will play either Washington or Stanford on ESPN on Dec. 20 in MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on April 03, 2013, 05:56:30 PM
From Twitter, new head coach Craig Neal reports New Mexico will not play at Valparaiso:

Craig Neal: UNM will not play at Valpo in December. Will play either Washington or Stanford on ESPN on Dec. 20 in MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Probably a $75,000 buyout for Valpo, maybe more, I sure don't know.  The fact is we had a contract and these things cost money to break.  the chicken sh-t.  Dan Monson did the same thing when he came to Minnesota a few years ago.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on April 03, 2013, 06:32:34 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 03, 2013, 05:56:30 PMFrom Twitter, new head coach Craig Neal reports New Mexico will not play at Valparaiso: Craig Neal: UNM will not play at Valpo in December. Will play either Washington or Stanford on ESPN on Dec. 20 in MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Probably a $75,000 buyout for Valpo, maybe more, I sure don't know.  The fact is we had a contract and these things cost money to break.  the chicken sh-t.  Dan Monson did the same thing when he came to Minnesota a few years ago.

I'm sure the new NM coach, Neal, wouldn't have done it if the financial gain was not there. The payout from the ESPN deal with Washington or Stanford must be (I would guess substantially) more than the cost of the buyout for cancelling the game at Valpo.

Nothing CS about it. Just a smart economic decision set up by the contract Valpo was forced to sign.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

What's cowardly about it is so hard to recognize these days because it is so commonplace and so woven into the fabric of the sport.  The fact remains that it is much more comfortable to play a high profile team on ESPN on a neutral court than risk coming to the ARC and losing to lowly Valpo.  The very height of cowardice.  I don't care what his reasoning is.  75K?  He's getting off cheap.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 03, 2013, 07:04:04 PMWhat's cowardly about it is so hard to recognize these days because it is so commonplace and so woven into the fabric of the sport.  The fact remains that it is much more comfortable to play a high profile team on ESPN on a neutral court than risk coming to the ARC and losing to lowly Valpo.  The very height of cowardice.  I don't care what his reasoning is.  75K?  He's getting off cheap.

Okay, I'll vote Neal a coward. Do you think he cares one iota about what we think at Valpo? He cares only about what the New Mexico fan base thinks and I'm sure they are applauding him for the move.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 07:13:01 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on April 03, 2013, 07:04:04 PMWhat's cowardly about it is so hard to recognize these days because it is so commonplace and so woven into the fabric of the sport.  The fact remains that it is much more comfortable to play a high profile team on ESPN on a neutral court than risk coming to the ARC and losing to lowly Valpo.  The very height of cowardice.  I don't care what his reasoning is.  75K?  He's getting off cheap.

Okay, I'll vote Neal a coward. Do you think he cares one iota about what we think at Valpo? He cares only about what the New Mexico fan base thinks and I'm sure they are applauding him for the move.
I don't care what he thinks of us.  I only know what I think of him and all other coaches who dishonor commitments like this.

The whole darn system is corrupt beyond repair.

wh

It's not like Neal was an outsider who fell off a turnip truck and rolled into Albuquerque the other day.  He is a NM men's basketball insider who was promoted when his boss left. The fact that he would scrap the Valpo contract as one of his first actions demonstrates a lack of ethical behavior.  That said, the fact that he did it so soon after taking over makes me wonder if that was New Mexico's plan all along.  I wouldn't trust Alford any more than this character.     

HC

Put that 75k towards the gas fund when we go to the MVC

classof2014

It does suck not getting NM next season but we can put that 75k to good use in the athletic department. Should be more than enough to put a track around Brown Field, and possibly put some of it towards ARC renovations!

VULB#62

Quote from: classof2014 on April 03, 2013, 09:50:19 PM
It does suck not getting NM next season but we can put that 75k to good use in the athletic department. Should be more than enough to put a track around Brown Field, and possibly put some of it towards ARC renovations!

I didn't see that sarcastic side of you until now 2014.  +1

DMvalpo18

Quote from: classof2014 on April 03, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Sader? This guy is bringing some much needed levity.

a3uge

@NWIOren Valparaiso won't host New Mexico next season. Game will be pushed instead to the 2014-15 season. Conversation began before Alford left.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on April 04, 2013, 12:22:49 AM
@NWIOren Valparaiso won't host New Mexico next season. Game will be pushed instead to the 2014-15 season. Conversation began before Alford left.
I feel a little better now.  Actually the last person I was expecting to be shocked by the earlier news was Bryce, and this confirms it.  The fact that they are still coming a year later is very different than what I had assumed.

valpotx

Wow, if it will be 2014-2015 now, that gives us a better chance of winning with some experienced SO players!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Damn! no gas money and no extra ARC renovation money. We could have put in an extra prostate reliever in the chairback section.  :lol:

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on April 04, 2013, 04:33:04 AM

Damn! no gas money and no extra ARC renovation money. We could have put in an extra prostrate reliever in the chairback section.  :lol:

Pray, tell!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on April 04, 2013, 04:33:04 AMWe could have put in an extra prostrate reliever in the chairback section.
Um...that couldn't be in the chairback section, but the recliner.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa