• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

the international side of crusader basketball

Started by DMvalpo18, June 19, 2011, 11:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMvalpo18

valpo basketball has always relied on international players, and some of those players have been crucial to the program. of course, we all know that even our current team has quite a few international guys on it. there's broekhoff, witt, van wijk, milosevic, and jakolis (i think he is?). i might have missed one though. anyway, what do you guys think about the international side of valpo basketball? are there any past international players that really stand out to you that you remember as being fun to watch, or were valuable to the program? one that comes to mind as i write is sam haanpa (spelling?). the reason i remember him is how he used to stroke that three pointer with ease.

dcvalpo

My top 5 all-time VU international squad-

C Raitis Grafs
F- Ivan Vujic
F- Goran Viscokic
G- Lubos Barton
G- Bryce Drew---that guy was out of this world!!!  JK, Tony Falu

valpo04

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 19, 2011, 11:20:13 PM

C Raitis Grafs
F- Ivan Vujic
F- Goran Viscokic
G- Lubos Barton
G- Bryce Drew---that guy was out of this world!!!  JK, Tony Falu

I'd swap out Falu with Stalin Ortiz... Loved watching Stalin.

humbleopinion

Quote from: dcvalpo on June 19, 2011, 11:20:13 PM

C Raitis Grafs
F- Ivan Vujic
F- Goran Viscokic
G- Lubos Barton
G- Bryce Drew---that guy was out of this world!!!  JK, Tony Falu

I presume that you mean Zoran Viskovich, who would have been a bit out of position at forward.  I always liked the play of Stalin Ortiz and Shawn Huff at forward, and Tony Vilcinskas is worth a mention when discussing international players.
Beamin' Beacons

dcvalpo

Yes, Zoran...just couldn't leave him out...I know he was a 5 or a really big 4.  If I took him out of the lineup, I'd go with Haanpaa.

cornonthe

I'm not even going to try this one...too many great international players to narrow down to just 5!!! ??? I'll be interested to see the teams that people come up with though...

valpo84

Anybody want Ali at the point?
Broekoff at the 3
Zoran at center
Grafs at the 4
Barton at the 2

Gomes, Ortiz, Vujic and Tony V off the bench. And yes we have had great success with players from around the world. Falu would need an *.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum