• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mexico at Valpo Sat Dec 6 7:05 pm CT

Started by justducky, December 03, 2014, 12:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Looking forward to tonight! Won't be there but will be watching! Both teams seem to be looking for a quality win, NM is looking to find themselves and say they are back as a high-major this season. While Valpo is looking to say they are no fluke and could beat anybody they play.

Bold prediction: Alec will have one of the greatest Crusader performances tonight, going 11/17 from the field 7/11 from 3, 8/9 from the FT line for a total of 37 points, with 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and 2 turnovers.

agibson

Was pleased to hear somebody else on my soccer team at the Y this morning bring up the game.  Was familiar with their record, Missouri, etc.  coming to the game with his son.  His son came up to me, "Guess what - we're going to the basketball game tonight."  We seemed to get another family pretty interested as well.  If not tonight, maybe down the road.

Valpower

Quote from: classof2014 on December 06, 2014, 10:56:57 AM
While Valpo is looking to say they are no fluke and could beat anybody they play.

Bold prediction: Alec will have one of the greatest Crusader performances tonight, going 11/17 from the field 7/11 from 3, 8/9 from the FT line for a total of 37 points, with 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and 2 turnovers.

This will be the statement game of the season, in spite of their being favored and having the home-court advantage, and it will be the highest pressure OOC game because of it and because of the quality of the opponent. However, I look forward to seeing whether they can respond to a "normal" game from Alec as he'll undoubtedly have them and there'll be no greater confidence builder than knowing that others can step up. I'm hoping for a win with less dependence on perimeter shooting or, at least, less from Alec and the emergence of another potential go-to option offensively. Of course, a defensive clinic would be reassuring as well.

Donjon VU07

Quote from: Valpower on December 06, 2014, 12:03:23 PM
While Valpo is looking to say they are no fluke and could beat anybody they play.

This will be the statement game of the season, in spite of their being favored and having the home-court advantage, and it will be the highest pressure OOC game because of it and because of the quality of the opponent. However, I look forward to seeing whether they can respond to a "normal" game from Alec as he'll undoubtedly have them and there'll be no greater confidence builder than knowing that others can step up. I'm hoping for a win with less dependence on perimeter shooting or, at least, less from Alec and the emergence of another potential go-to option offensively. Of course, a defensive clinic would be reassuring as well.

Ugh.  Don't remind me of a "normal" Peters performance.  I attended the Mizzou game.  I predicted 6-1 out of fear such a performance might happen ONE time this month--but I really hope I'm wrong.

So um. Anyone know some sort of back-door way to see ESPN3 games?  Or anyone willing to give up their login info?
The jerks at my cable company told me I'd have to call back on Monday and upgrade to the sports package to get ESPN3.  The upgrade is fine--the issue is "Monday."

justducky

Quote from: Valpower on December 06, 2014, 12:03:23 PMHowever, I look forward to seeing whether they can respond to a "normal" game from Alec as he'll undoubtedly have them and there'll be no greater confidence builder than knowing that others can step up.
Wouldn't be shocked if the New Mexico game plan is to shut down or at least contain Alec and make somebody else beat them. They may be better able to match up with him than anybody we have so far faced. So yes there would be no greater confidence builder than to see the others step up to the challenge but with any young team you can never be sure if or how that challenge might be met. I kind of expect to see some open looks allowed to some of our less reliable shooters. This should be interesting!

vu72

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on December 06, 2014, 01:10:10 PM
Quote from: Valpower on December 06, 2014, 12:03:23 PM

Ugh.  Don't remind me of a "normal" Peters performance.  I attended the Mizzou game.  I predicted 6-1 out of fear such a performance might happen ONE time this month--but I really hope I'm wrong.

So um. Anyone know some sort of back-door way to see ESPN3 games?  Or anyone willing to give up their login info?
The jerks at my cable company told me I'd have to call back on Monday and upgrade to the sports package to get ESPN3.  The upgrade is fine--the issue is "Monday."

The "average" performance against Mizzou was due to the refs, not Alec.  He had three before half and basicly was taken out of the game.  If that was typical of him then fine, but we know he isn't foul prone.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpofan00

Green Bay just knocked off #15 Miami 68-55...

historyman

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on December 06, 2014, 01:10:10 PMSo um. Anyone know some sort of back-door way to see ESPN3 games?  Or anyone willing to give up their login info? The jerks at my cable company told me I'd have to call back on Monday and upgrade to the sports package to get ESPN3.  The upgrade is fine--the issue is "Monday."

Okay, remember this is for sure the back door way. Be very careful that you have good anti-virus software installed before trying this.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=296157&part=sports

To get rid of the ads that will pop up you click on the tiny "x's" on the ads. Then you can enlarge the video screen to cover your whole computer screen.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Donjon VU07

I appreciate it.  But I should have thought this through.  My laptop is technically owned by my employer so I don't want to be exposing it to viruses--or for that matter doing anything illegal on it (all these methods almost certainly violate copyright laws).

I'm going to opt for the Ickow-cast tonight.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Pgmado

Fair to say that everyone should likely take a two hour break before posting reactions to this one? Haha.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

That was terrible. Couldn't get a rhythm all night. Peters disappeared. Couldn't hit a shot. Blech

Valpofan00

What a joke, not sure what to think about his team anymore. If we can't beat a big name school ever we will never make a run in the tournament.

rink

Utter trash.  A mediocre team from a mediocre conference comes to our court and outplays the hell out of us.  Not even competitive.  What a joke.  UWGB is out there beating real teams from real conferences.  Butler is out there beating real teams from real conferences.  Every time you turn around there are good mid-major programs out there making a little noise against legit opponents.  But unless we're playing some other anonymous, non-descript school, we'll just crap the bed and "oh shucks" our way to the next irrelevant victory.  Maybe pat ourselves on the back when we edge out some other small-time program in the occasional BracketBuster.

15 years.  15 years.  15 years since we've done anything relevant.

govalpogo

Oh dear old Valpo...why do you do this to our fragile hearts?  Classic form tonight and I feel the sentiments expressed above.  Our team feeds on momentum and every opportunity for momentum was immediately shut down either by NM or mistakes.  It's definitely getting to curse proportions, it's kinda figure out how since so many teams of varying make-ups have been effected by it.  I did predict 2 losses this month and this was one of them, but I was hoping to be wrong.  12-3 would still be a pretty good OOC record though. 

Chairback

I think we all let a string of wins against poor competition get into our heads (and also Vegas's at 8.5).  The truth and reality is those teams were bad teams we beat.  Tonight our athletes looked like second tier athletes.  It was more than missing shots.  Alec cannot do all of this on his own.  I was surprised to see how often Bryce took Alec out of the game during stretches.

I hand it to NM.  They had a game plan right when the game started to pound it down low.  They had our weakness pinned at the start.

Jabril appears to have taken 10 steps backwards.  His first 3 shots were badly blocked.  He is extremely slow and cannot get position down low due to it.  I question his drive.

I really like Keith Carter's D.  He had some key defensive plays in the first half to keep us in it.  We would have lost by 30 tonight if we didn't him out there.

DrewBLOOD

LOBOS just plain out killed it tonight in chilly Indiana!!
A mediocre team huh?!?  show some respect, UNM just shut it down ...   This board is weaker then the team! I'm out of here...

GO LOBOS! 

LaPorteAveApostle

Maybe this is the alcohol talking (I'm not sure what the jackass above's excuse is) but if you'd told me we'd be 8-2 10 games in, we'd have all taken it.

It's not a great way to get there, especially tonight, but we're there.  Our shooting % was due for a regression to the mean, certainly.   No one really played well.

You just hope that, like any good collegian, we were taking notes, and that it'll help next time.

justducky

For the first 30 minutes we were slightly out executed, slightly out defended and more than slightly out shot. But we were still in the game and all of us were still expecting that run that never happened. That last 10 minutes showed in spades the immaturity and complete frustration of a young group who have yet to reach the level of confidence that might have kept them within striking distance until the end.

We are still way ahead of where I thought we would be at this point, but with more of our vulnerabilities now exposed our metal is going to be tested game after game. We just lost badly to a team that currently has top of the HL type abilities so its back to the drawing board because there is much more to learn and to accomplish.

valpo64

We were a step behind, legs were gone which also means shooting will be off,  our worst shooting night at the ARC in I believe 15 years...30%.  I'm not sure how good NM really is, but they were ready for us and well coached.  Our young team obviously couldn't handle 5 games in 8 days and all the travel that went with it.  Young teams have nights like this...put it behind us and go forward.   While it is obviously very disappointing to everyone, these young guys will be back.   With the "JV" game next Wednesday,  let's go out and put it to BSU next Saturday.

historyman

Quote from: rink on December 06, 2014, 09:17:54 PMUtter trash.  A mediocre team from a mediocre conference comes to our court and outplays the hell out of us.  Not even competitive.  What a joke.  UWGB is out there beating real teams from real conferences.  Butler is out there beating real teams from real conferences.  Every time you turn around there are good mid-major programs out there making a little noise against legit opponents.  But unless we're playing some other anonymous, non-descript school, we'll just crap the bed and "oh shucks" our way to the next irrelevant victory.  Maybe pat ourselves on the back when we edge out some other small-time program in the occasional BracketBuster. 15 years.  15 years.  15 years since we've done anything relevant.

I think you should have waited for the full two hours to pass before commenting. On second thought you never say anything positive about this team so why comment at all?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: historyman on December 04, 2014, 06:35:36 PMWe are hoping we can beat the Lobos but are leery of a last minute letdown again. It should be a very entertaining game and close through out.

I should have been a lot more leery of losing than I thought. Valpo was not entertaining and not very close through out. On the offensive end Alec shot poorly and nobody else stepped up to pick up his scoring. Both Tavonn and Darien, the Walker bros, almost went scoreless until the last 10 minutes. Carter hit an early three but scored little after that. Tell me again why Adekoya plays so much. Put a bigger opponent on him and he becomes utterly useless. The Crusaders hit three 3's all game and it wasn't that great of defense by the Lobos. It was good but not totally awesome defense. Speaking of defense, what happened to Valpo's D? It wasn't nearly the lockdown defense we had seen in Mt Pleasant and Richmond, KY or the D we heard about on the radio from Nashville. 

We have to find some way to beat these more successful teams that seem to make us cr@p our pants.

IllinoisLobo

As an alumnus of UNM and a lifelong Lobo fan that made the drive from Chicago to see UNM play tonight, I want to pass along my thanks and respect to your school and your fans. Not every school and fanbase treats visiting fans well. However, my son and I had a great experience tonight with hospitable and gracious Valpo fans around us. Everyone, from the event staff to the concessions to the students where fantastic. Be proud of the way your people and team represented the best of the Valparaiso University community.

I wish you and your team the best of luck for this year and every game in the future (save for any future game vs
UNM  ;)).