• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

Valpo lost out on a mid season transfer in December because there was no available scholarship, so it might not be a bad idea to hold on to an open one rather then use it on  a marginal prospect.

valpo64

Regarding Parker Hazen compared to his brother Bracken...a few months ago I talked to a former Valpo grad  who lives in the Columbia City  area and has seen both of them play over the years. He felt, as some other people in the CC community felt, that Parker was just as good and perhaps better than Bracken.  On a side note, I believe that Bracken was also recruited by VU.

VU2014

QuoteRegarding Parker Hazen compared to his brother Bracken...a few months ago I talked to a former Valpo grad  who lives in the Columbia City  area and has seen both of them play over the years. He felt, as some other people in the CC community felt, that Parker was just as good and perhaps better than Bracken.  On a side note, I believe that Bracken was also recruited by VU.

Yep. Heard the same thing. Brachen's final few schools had Valpo in the mix.

I've been told the biggest difference in their game was that Brachen has a better shooting touch but Parker is a better athlete.

I wish Brachen a ton of success at Arkansas but wouldn't mind if he decided to transfer to Valpo to create a Hazen duo. It would be pretty cool team see them playing on the same college team for an Indiana school. He has only play 41 total minute (13 game) for Arkansas this season (not totally unexpected for a freshman).

He's listed as SF (Parker is listed as PF) at Arkansas. He is currently the only SF on the roster this season, but they signed a 3.5-Star SF that will be a Freshman in the HS2017 class and they already have a HS2018 SF that is 3.5-star verbal commit.

Their leading scorer is a senior Shooting Guard. Second leading scorer is a Junior SG. 3rd leading scorer a JR PG.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4066246/brachen-hazen

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arkansas

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/8

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 06, 2017, 10:18:05 AMYep. Heard the same thing. Brachen's final few schools had Valpo in the mix.

I've been told the biggest difference in their game was that Brachen has a better shooting touch but Parker is a better athlete.

I wish Brachen a ton of success at Arkansas but wouldn't mind if he decided to transfer to Valpo to create a Hazen duo. It would be pretty cool team see them playing on the same college team for an Indiana school. He has only play 41 total minute (13 game) for Arkansas this season (not totally unexpected for a freshman).

Watch this video from the Columbia City vs Bishop Luers 2016 Sectional final with both Brachen and Parker on the floor and I think it confirms what you have heard. Watch the 1st and 4th quarters.  The CC coach from last year had the luxury of playing the brothers together which opened the floor up, keeping teams from double or triple teaming.  Parker was the hero in this game with 22 pts and 6 reb. Based on this one game, I am glad we got the brother that we did.

Box Score Box Score CC vs BL 2016

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 05, 2017, 12:10:55 AM
2 scholarships left after the Marcus Golder commitment.

Kiser is going to get one of the 2 scholarships left. You don't start a walk-on in a Conference Tourney game (even with the very short bench) if you are not going to offer him. He was the guy who looked aggressive and really into it tonight and played solid D. There are things to like about Kiser. Not your average walk-on and the coaching staff clearly likes him.

1 more scholarship left. I've heard rumblings of a few guys their recruiting. I'll share after the Conf tourney is over or when we're done with the CBI, CIT or Vegas 16 (maybe NIT).

Can you elaborate on the rumblings?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 07, 2017, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 05, 2017, 12:10:55 AM
2 scholarships left after the Marcus Golder commitment.

Kiser is going to get one of the 2 scholarships left. You don't start a walk-on in a Conference Tourney game (even with the very short bench) if you are not going to offer him. He was the guy who looked aggressive and really into it tonight and played solid D. There are things to like about Kiser. Not your average walk-on and the coaching staff clearly likes him.

1 more scholarship left. I've heard rumblings of a few guys their recruiting. I'll share after the Conf tourney is over or when we're done with the CBI, CIT or Vegas 16 (maybe NIT).

Can you elaborate on the rumblings?

2014....what's the rumors you speak of regarding recruiting?  The tournament is over, we're ready for speculation and good word!

vufan75

I would guess another 2 or 3 in terms of position? We have 4 guys at pg (Bakari, Micah, Max and Lexus). Really only Tevonn and maybe Markus Golder at SG.
Burton, Kizer at SF, Hazen, McMillan, Levingston-Simon at PF, and Sorolla and Smits at Center. That is 13 guys. If Kizer gets a schollie do we even have any left to offer? Wondering if Burton will play minutes at PF also, so we can mix vet with freshmen?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vufan75 on March 08, 2017, 09:01:15 PM
I would guess another 2 or 3 in terms of position? We have 4 guys at pg (Bakari, Micah, Max and Lexus). Really only Tevonn and maybe Markus Golden at SG.
Burton, Kizer at SF, Hazen, McMillan, Levingston-Simon at PF, and Sorolla and Smits at Center. That is 13 guys. If Kizer gets a schollie do we even have any left to offer? Wondering if Burton will play minutes at PF also, so we can mix vet with freshmen?

Levingston Simon = walk on

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on March 08, 2017, 09:01:15 PMReally only Tevonn and maybe Markus Golden at SG.

I really wish we would learn to spell a student/athlete's name from the beginning and not misspell it the whole time he is at Valpo. Markus last name is Golder.

vufan75

Knew that. Just typed it wrong and spellchecker did me a favor. Thx.

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on March 08, 2017, 11:36:38 PM
Knew that. Just typed it wrong and spellchecker did me a favor. Thx.

This is where the "Modify" button becomes your best friend.

vufan75

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on March 08, 2017, 09:01:15 PMMarkus Golden Golder

Two replies to me but yet you can't fix the misspelling with the "Modify" button? This is what I mean. You can fix the misspellings and should. This young athlete wants his name spelled correctly. Only you can do it.

vufan75

Do u have aaannnyything better to do than be the spelling police?
Here if it will quiet you. Markus Golder is his name spelled correctly. And fixed my original post so you can now rest easy. Can we move on now I hope?

FWalum

The NWAC tournament starts today if anyone is interested in watching Markus Golder and North Idaho.  If I have the time differences right the game should start at 12 noon CST and 1PM EST.  They won their region so they are the 1 seed in their pod of four teams.

Streamed Live here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxYCRIzqALw

NWAC Tournament Bracket
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Some interesting recruiting notes:

I asked a Illinois High School Scouting/Recruiting professional if he thought Valpo was going to offer Taylor Bruninga & he said he, "Very difficult to say at the moment." I then asked if the lack of an offer was coming from our end (in terms of interest), and mentioned how he's taken an unofficial and knows the coaching staff and Peters Family pretty well. He responded, "Not sure. Just know that Valpo staff is slow sometimes on extending offers, plus some schools want Bruninga to redshirt."

So to give a little context on the Taylor Bruninga interest it seems Valpo has a history of being very judicial with who we offer (going all the way back to Homer and definitely the Bryce days). Seems like we're interested and coaches have definitely been in contact. He seems like he'd be a great fit with Alec graduating and him having very similar style of game and height.

Also interesting that schools are trying to get him to red-shirt his freshman year. Means they like him a lot but no scholarships available. A lot of Bigger Schools do that a lot. I'm not sure the Valpo (or any mid-majors other then Gonzaga) have a program or cache to try and pull that stuff.

Another somewhat interesting note is that I was talking to him over twitter and Taylor's mom liked the tweet, asking specifically if Valpo would offer and pointing out the fit and connection... I may be reading too much into that situation with her liking that, but maybe the family would like an offer. Valpo was great for Alec's development and opportunity wise, and he and Alec are from the same area and same AAU program. Someone also mentioned that Taylor is Lutheran so maybe thats a sweetener with Valpo being a Lutheran University.

Another interesting recruiting note is we missed on a Lithuanian player. 6-7 SF, who plays at a academy in the state. Apparently he has the potential to become a dead eye 3pt shooter. I saw a few vids of him and he looked impressive. We were in his final 2. He chose University of Richmond over Valpo.
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/article_cdbda137-0fcf-51e4-89e9-0493d955e133.html

I heard about 1 more recruit that Valpo may be interested in. I can't remember his name but if I remember his name but I'll post if remember.

FWalum

North Idaho game has started.

EddieCabot

Quote from: bbtds on March 09, 2017, 01:42:23 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on March 08, 2017, 09:01:15 PMMarkus Golden

Two replies to me but yet you can't fix the misspelling with the "Modify" button? This is what I mean. You can fix the misspellings and should. This young athlete wants his name spelled correctly. Only you can do it.

I agree.  vufan75 has now complied with your request, but his misspelling lives on because you quoted it twice.  You should edit your posts to remove this.

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on March 09, 2017, 10:17:22 AM
The NWAC tournament starts today if anyone is interested in watching Markus Golder and North Idaho.  If I have the time differences right the game should start at 12 noon CST and 1PM EST.  They won their region so they are the 1 seed in their pod of four teams.

Streamed Live here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxYCRIzqALw

NWAC Tournament Bracket

I'll just say that I presume the coaches know what they are doing... ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vufan75 on March 09, 2017, 03:14:51 AM
Here if it will quiet you. Markus Golder is his name spelled correctly. And fixed my original post so you can now rest easy. Can we move on now I hope?

If it was your name and it was continually being spelled incorrectly you would object to it also. We all know that the players' families read this board and to see a good player's name spelled incorrectly even when it could be corrected shows a great deal of disrespect. Think of how much this board objects when Valparaiso is mispronounced. It is extremely disrespectful.

How do you think Mrs. Peters felt when she saw Alec's name misspelled so often?

Valpo89

You mean Alex Peters?
How about Shane Hamnik? Son of Al. :)
Treyvonn Walker could also be added to the list.
Maxx Joseph became a pretty good player this year.
I hope Derrick Smiths improves next year.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on March 09, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on March 09, 2017, 03:14:51 AM

If it was your name and it was continually being spelled incorrectly you would object to it also. We all know that the players' families read this board and to see a good player's name spelled incorrectly even when it could be corrected shows a great deal of disrespect. Think of how much this board objects when Valparaiso is mispronounced. It is extremely disrespectful.

How do you think Mrs. Peters felt when she saw Alec's name misspelled so often?

Is this a joke thread? 

valpo84

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2017, 11:26:10 AM

Also interesting that schools are trying to get him to red-shirt his freshman year. Means they like him a lot but no scholarships available. A lot of Bigger Schools do that a lot. I'm not sure the Valpo (or any mid-majors other then Gonzaga) have a program or cache to try and pull that stuff.

Just to clarify here, if they want a player to "redshirt," that means he would still receive a scholarship (unless specified as a non-scholarship/walk-on when recruited) but would sit next year to get bigger/stronger/more skilled with the coaching staff and because the position is currently filled.  Derrick was a medical redshirt last year but Valpo has redshirted in the past for various reasons, including transfer.  Generally, you then have 5 years to play 4 (certain rules and exceptions apply, consult NCAA manual for details, void where prohibited).  What may also be offered to a player is that he go play at a HS academy/prep school for a year to improve his skill set or because the school doesn't have the necessary scholarship or in the past couldn't pass prop 48.  He continues playing against higher level competition and then has 4 years of scholarship eligibility.  Valpo has rarely done this because they have usually needed the bodies right away or they just have the player redshirt so he can practice and learn and be coached up by our staff.  Bigger schools will "stash" some players this way if they are late growers or bloomers.  The pros include the player knows he has a home in a year.  The negative for the school is he could open up his recruiting.  The other thing is to have them go to JUCO.  Valpo had some center do this a few years ago now (Moussa?) -- he went to JUCO and reopened his recruiting, went to Alabama(??) and then came back.  There also was some weirdness with a center from UNLV Beas Hamga?  But, I think he was just a multiple transfer guy.  Anyway, redshirts are on scholly.  Next time we can discuss walk-ons and preferred walk-ons.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

There is also a "gray shirt" which VU2014 was probably referring to. 

A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don't take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows college athletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.  When a grayshirt puts off his enrollment, he's extending his eligibility past his senior year for another term. Power5s do this to stockpile players.  But it is more frequently used in football because the extra semester of eligibility extends into the fall of the 5th year.  No need to redshirt.  No scholarship funds utilized.  Sweet deal. 

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 09, 2017, 02:58:40 PM
You mean Alex Peters?
How about Shane Hamnik? Son of Al. :)
Treyvonn Walker could also be added to the list.
Maxx Joseph became a pretty good player this year.
I hope Derrick Smiths improves next year.

You are so correct, Poul Paul.