• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

valpo64

I agree with you, vu72.  It is hard to believe some postings that think that Bryce's leaving means he should not take an asst. coach or 2 with him, that he shafted VU, etc.  Get a life folks!  This the way these things happen.  And now our program will go to hell in a hand-basket?  The program will continue on with or without the Drew Family.  Remember when Bryce got our job some said it was a poor choice, nepotism, etc because he had no head coaching experience, etc. Sure some adjustments will take place, but some of your postings are unreal!  I find it hard to believe that some of you seem to be bashing BD after all that he and his family have done for our school.  Good for Bryce!  Now let's move on!  Be positive and back our next coach!  Like "Annie" sang, the sun will come up, tomorrow.  Alot of you want us to be "big time"...well, this is big time...a young successful head coach advances to a bigger and better job.,  This is the way it works! 

valpotx

Watching it now.  I hope that he doesn't cater to the media there and talk up Vandy over Valpo...
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusader05

We definitely kind of hit a perfect storm at the university with the combination of the Recession and a lack of building maintenance. Our Past president would not build unless a project was fully funded which resulted in less building and settling for smaller than what we should have (I'm looking at you VUCA Theater) to come in at budget. The new President has been addressing this but it now means a tighter financial situation at a time when people are increasing skeptical about college really being worth the cost and changing demographics.
The purchase of the hospital grounds is definitely a step in the right direction but I'd imagine that there will be a desire on the University to find a way to make the new rec center possibly a community joint project to help alleviate the cost. I know the President has been vocal that he thinks the community could use a nice swimming facility and this could be a way to bring that to both the campus and the community.
Progress is slow and plodding right now at a time when people are hostile to any money being spent with the focus on student debt. I personally also blame the for-profits who are a large driver in student debt as well as state schools increasing their out of state student caps and fees making it harder for in state students to get in/afford and driving the need for potentially more need based loans at private schools as students who then lose more tuition money

Dave_2010

Losing Powell seems to imply to me that there are bigger issues at play than just the HC taking a better job and the star player grad transferring. I have it from several good sources that the university is struggling with some major debt issues right now related to Heckler's building spree. Budgets have been slashed across the board...that kind of institutional instability is the type of thing that would scare me away if I was a highly regarded coaching prospect with plenty of other options (like Powell).

I read quickly through this entire thread and don't recall seeing Chris Sparks mentioned by anyone. It keeps things in the Valpo family, we know that he can recruit (the big issues scaring people away from Donlon), and he has the legit D1 experience (the big issue scaring people away from Tonagel). Has the bridge between Sparks and the university been so thoroughly napalmed at this point that there is no hope for reconciliation?

VU2624

Quote from: crusader05 on April 06, 2016, 02:29:54 PMWe are about to find out if the Drews were good for Valpo or if Valpo was good for the Drews. I'm going to be watching 1. how much Bryce takes with him and 2. how much support the admin throws behind our new coach. We were very very lucky to have the Drews but at the same time, having our entire past almost 30 years be dedicated to one family is not a good strategy overall. I don't know what the other options are but Homer built, not just a team, but a platform that was very very helpful to his sons. Bryce is still a Valpo Alum and could always be a positive voice for our program out there even if he is a coach elsewhere. If this is the last we ever hear of the Drew family though I will be disappointed and feel very much like Valpo was used more than it was helped.

Do we then scrape Homer's name off the floor?

VU2624

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 03:37:12 PMWatching it now.  I hope that he doesn't cater to the media there and talk up Vandy over Valpo...

You're kidding?

crusader05

Not saying that, But family dynasty's are tricky and is maybe not the most stable way to hope to maintain your basketball programs success.

VU2624

Quote from: crusader05 on April 06, 2016, 04:05:21 PMNot saying that, But family dynasty's are tricky and is maybe not the most stable way to hope to maintain your basketball programs success.

I'm in agreement with you. I was just having a bit of a giggle.

valpotx

Quote from: VU2624 on April 06, 2016, 04:04:19 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 03:37:12 PMWatching it now.  I hope that he doesn't cater to the media there and talk up Vandy over Valpo...

You're kidding?

Not kidding at all.  I meant talk up Vandy over Valpo, by putting Valpo in a bad light.  He didn't do that, and handled it well when they tried to get him to do so. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on April 06, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
We definitely kind of hit a perfect storm at the university with the combination of the Recession and a lack of building maintenance. Our Past president would not build unless a project was fully funded which resulted in less building and settling for smaller than what we should have (I'm looking at you VUCA Theater) to come in at budget. The new President has been addressing this but it now means a tighter financial situation at a time when people are increasing skeptical about college really being worth the cost and changing demographics.
The purchase of the hospital grounds is definitely a step in the right direction but I'd imagine that there will be a desire on the University to find a way to make the new rec center possibly a community joint project to help alleviate the cost. I know the President has been vocal that he thinks the community could use a nice swimming facility and this could be a way to bring that to both the campus and the community.
Progress is slow and plodding right now at a time when people are hostile to any money being spent with the focus on student debt. I personally also blame the for-profits who are a large driver in student debt as well as state schools increasing their out of state student caps and fees making it harder for in state students to get in/afford and driving the need for potentially more need based loans at private schools as students who then lose more tuition money

Thanks for pointing that out.  In all the moaning about commitment to athletics, I don't recall anyone mentioning that acquisition before.  How many millions was that?  A bunch.  What possible other use for the property then athletics?  Look at the 20 year plan.  That property will greatly enhance Valpo's overall athletic posture as well as allow for the proper retrofit of the ARC.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

What happened between Chris Sparks and the University? I know he sort of left abruptly but never really knew why. Sparks could flat out recruit and worked his tail off on the recruiting trail. He's the one who discovered Ryan Broekhoff and Vashil I believe. I would hope the next coach would reach out to him and make him the lead international recruiter again because he truly did a great job in that category. But what happened with Sparks?

VU2014

The purchase of the Hospital property was huge. I've seen the plans for area of the campus. Still... the administration (past admin) still deserves to get an ear full for the lack of investment for decades. We're on the right path though (I hope). I would love to be a fly on the wall hear the Board of Directors meetings pertaining to the 20 year plan and financing and actually taking a peak at the books.

but, Crusader05: I was not aware of the heavy amount of debt load that recently took on. I knew the 'Arts & Sciences' building was financed with bonds, but I assumed that most of the recent additions were donations. The addition to Chapel (donated), Engineering addition 'Fites Center'. I hear we're building a new science building and i'm not sure how that will be funded. I'm told science buildings are extremely expensive on college campuses.

crusader05

I believe the science building, beacon, sorority houses and Arts and Sciences are all financed from the same bond pull. The vibe I've gotten from what people have said is that while the debt is an issue the larger issue is that as we work to pull a higher level of students we are competing against schools with bigger endowments which means more money to lure them which means yearly budgets aren't as great as we'd like. Basically, we're trying to push up into another bracket of quality but that means significant financial investment in both buildings and scholarships at a more trying financial time.

NativeCheesehead

I hear men's basketball is a great marketing tool.....just sayin.

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on April 06, 2016, 03:25:32 PMThe ARC was built in 1939.
The ARC was built in 1984.  We had that school about 55 miles ENE of Valpo in for the dedication game.  Since 1984, both schools have the same number of NCAA final four appearances. 

The Hilltop Gym was built in 1939, and is still used by the University.

rogerwilco

Any reason to think that Valpo might be interested in either Jack Owens or Greg Gary of Purdue?

valpofan11

Here's somebody no one has brought up: Billy Gillespie. Former A&M, Kentucky, & Texas Tech coach now at Ranger JC. I know he left under pretty bad terms at Tech, but I'd love for LaBarbera to pursue Gillespie since he has the head coaching experience and is somebody we potentially could get.

rogerwilco

What about Greg Paulus of Ohio State?

valpofan11

Quote from: rogerwilco on April 06, 2016, 05:57:22 PM
What about Greg Paulus of Ohio State?
Paulus would be a good hire IMO. Him or Jon Scheyer would be fine with me.

Chairback

With Powell leaving to me the next logical coach if we are staying with someone in the current staff is Matt Lottich.  He's played pro and had a great college career.  Somewhere I read recently that he relates really well with the players.    He has the trust of the players and any of our current recruits out there.

I'm putting my money as Lottich as the next coach.  If so we need to support him fully.  I'd love to see the next coach beat a T25 team or win a game in the tourney.  Just maybe the next coach can get us over that hump we have had for 15+ years.

nkvu

If our top recruiting assistant coach follows Bryce to Vandy and thereby passes on a chance to be HC at Valpo, shouldn't we be looking at other schools best recruiting assistant coaches particularly those who recruit Chicago well?  Sure, look in house first but don't restrict it. There must be at least a few assistant coaches at other D1 schools who are ready and would be interested in being a head coach here. Maybe we would lose some current players who would transfer but it might be better in the long run to take the hit this year if we could pick up a potential star who can rebuild the program quickly. Just a thought.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 03:10:41 PM
Dan Dakich would be a lot of fun as a HC but I don't see it. He's said multiple times he's done with coaching because its too much work. He has a sweet gig with ESPN. I know he's from Indiana but I think probably makes slightly less then what Bryce was getting paid to just talk about basketball instead of having to do all the coaching and grind of recruiting. 

I would quit Valpo basketball if they hired Dan Dakich as head coach! Period! He's an A-1 jerk!

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 06, 2016, 04:22:58 PM
What happened between Chris Sparks and the University? I know he sort of left abruptly but never really knew why. Sparks could flat out recruit and worked his tail off on the recruiting trail. He's the one who discovered Ryan Broekhoff and Vashil I believe. I would hope the next coach would reach out to him and make him the lead international recruiter again because he truly did a great job in that category. But what happened with Sparks?

He was a color commentator on the American Sports Network this past season and did the Valpo/Wright St game in Dayton, I believe. I'm not sure he would be interested in the Valpo job. He seemed to be the odd man out when Bryce was put in charge and wanted Powell instead of Sparks. I believe it showed a change in recruiting from internationals to Chicago area talent.

ARCInsider

Quote from: crusader05 on April 06, 2016, 02:29:54 PM
If this is the last we ever hear of the Drew family though I will be disappointed and feel very much like Valpo was used more than it was helped.

This is crazy talk.