• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARCInsider

Very glad this is staying in-house.  You all will be happy with the hire when you hear from ml at the presser.  Players are staying, looks good for Alec too.

valpotx

I get why it would make sense, but I am more thinking about from a kid in HS being recruited by Valpo.  How involved has Gore been in getting these awesome recruits over the last 4-5 years?  It seems like the real up-tick was once Powell and Lottich came on board.  We always had some talented under-the-radar guys before these two, so I am sure Gore can do it, but a Stanford/pro-playing coach seems that much more impressive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ARCInsider

Again, I think you will be satisfied with the explanation of who they choose.  Everyone is on board.

vu72

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 07, 2016, 01:36:25 PM
Again, I think you will be satisfied with the explanation of who they choose.  Everyone is on board.

Homer is coming back!!  You heard it here first!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Streaming on facebook:

facebook.com/ValpoAthletics   3:30 Central Time

Vale O. Paradise

Oren says Lottich has been confirmed by "sources"

NativeCheesehead

More I read on Lottich, more people I talk to about him, more convinced this is the right hire.

crusader05

Oren just tweeted Lottich was primary recruiter behind Bradford.

Seems like a players coach and honestly, when you're a mid major that can't spend the money to woo away the type of coach that keeps people on name alone, why risk a personality clash for the remaining teams. Relationships are what's going to keep this team on it's feet since we know the talent is there.

valpopal

After it was clear Powell was moving to Vandy with Bryce, all indications were that Matt Lottich would be the choice. Matt has a strong background as a player, but more importantly he has recruiting connections in the Chicago region from his New Trier roots and overseas (both Europe and Australia/New Zealand) from his time abroad. In addition, during all the times I have seen him off the court interacting with the players, fans, and his family, he has revealed himself to be a personable presence. In fact, I would suggest his comfort with media could be greater than that of Bryce, who at times still seems a bit reluctant as a public figure.

ValpoDad89

I see this as a possible Bryce 2.0 hire. Hopefully he vaults the Crusaders to higher heights. Both played under extremely cerebral and excellent head coaches in college, both have made a big shot (one a little played than the other), both have played abroad professionally, both seem to have held or still hold Valpo in very high regard. The main difference is one is here and the other is not. #UGottaLoveTheOneYou'reWith

talksalot

Homer, Scott and Bryce have something in common at Valpo...

All three of them lost their first and last games as head coach here.

Tom Smith won both his first and last games as head coach here.

talksalot

I like Jerry Palm's post on FB:

At 3:30, Valpo will announce that it has promoted assistant coach Matt Lottich to head coach. Lottich was a star at New Trier and Stanford. In related news, Homer Drew announced he has adopted Lottich.

VU2014

Micah Bradford's dad just posted 40 min ago. This could be a positive sign of Micah staying with the team. https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/718161128099094528

vu72

Isn't it a bit odd that there is no announcement about the news conference on either Valpo Athletics or Valpo.edu?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

My guess is they are putting the streaming on Facebook to grab more traffic to the facebook page and hopefully get people to like the page.

valpotx

I like that Gore is staying on staff.  I am very surprised that Bryce isn't taking him with him, but it shows even more continuity that will keep players around (hopefully).
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Didn't Smith lose in the MidCon tourney in his last game?

But he also lost a buttload of game in between!

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 07, 2016, 02:49:35 PM
After it was clear Powell was moving to Vandy with Bryce, all indications were that Matt Lottich would be the choice. Matt has a strong background as a player, but more importantly he has recruiting connections in the Chicago region from his New Trier roots and overseas (both Europe and Australia/New Zealand) from his time abroad. In addition, during all the times I have seen him off the court interacting with the players, fans, and his family, he has revealed himself to be a personable presence. In fact, I would suggest his comfort with media could be greater than that of Bryce, who at times still seems a bit reluctant as a public figure.

At the press conference and Matt did not disappoint. Excellent first impression as head coach. I especially appreciated the sincere nod to Luke Gore!

govalpogo

Guy is funny, competitive, passionate and I don't think he said "um" or "ya know" once!  Welcome, Coach Lottich go "get after it!"

valpotx

I thought that was a great press conference, and it was fantastic to see that he gave Gore his recognition, as I am sure that Luke was disappointed to not be selected.  That is a class act thing to do, and I am fully onboard the Head Coach Lottich train, as he keeps our team intact!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Congratulations, Matt!  We are all looking forward to next season.

justducky

Onward and upward! Coach Bruce now nothing but a distant memory.

atkins

I appreciated the realistic goal articulated by our new coach as part of the announcement -- i.e., To win at least a couple of games in the NCAA tourney (which he acknowledged we have not done for a long time). 

Contrast that with Bryce's goals at Vandy -- i.e., To make it to the Final Four and "We will play in the national championship game."  According to Vandy's AD, Bryce made the latter statement during his job interview, and it apparently had quite an effect on the AD! 

Who is more likely to achieve his goal?  With all due respect to Bryce, he might want to lower his sights a bit, perhaps on winning an NCAA tourney game or two before aspiring to the national championship game.  Brad Stevens made it look easy, but he caught lightning-in-a-bottle, which is unparalleled in the sport. 

crusader05

I enjoyed the comment about the time outs. As well as his seeming focus on competitiveness and drive. A common woe has been what has seemed a lack of a killer instinct in the team at moments that matter. It will be good to see if Lottich can pull that out in a way that doesn't challenge team cohesiveness.

Dave_2010

Truth be told, I would expect Bryce to make a Final Four before Lottich makes a Sweet Sixteen...we have had two legit opportunities to make the sweet sixteen since moving up to D1. Each time it took a once in a generation type talent. Bryce is a great coach with a power 5 budget behind him at a university known for giving its coaches a long leash.

Depending on what happens with Peters and Carter, we could be looking at a pretty big rebuild over the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk