• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

I thought it was 3/31, maybe it was 3/30 or even 3/29. It was towards the end of the show when Laurence Holmes comes on right before his show for like the last 10-15 minutes and they spitball stuff. I remember him mentioning Valpo's run and speaking to Bryce a few weeks earlier. he mentioned Valpo's run and they should've made the Tournament in hindsight.

I probably embellished the time of it as sitting in Chicago traffic on I 55 makes one feel like 5 minutes is 15.
And stlVUfan, if I made you listen to a whole day of Boers & Bernstein, my apologies. I owe you a beer or five because of that.

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 13, 2016, 07:06:48 PM
I thought it was 3/31, maybe it was 3/30 or even 3/29. It was towards the end of the show when Laurence Holmes comes on right before his show for like the last 10-15 minutes and they spitball stuff. I remember him mentioning Valpo's run and speaking to Bryce a few weeks earlier. he mentioned Valpo's run and they should've made the Tournament in hindsight.

I probably embellished the time of it as sitting in Chicago traffic on I 55 makes one feel like 5 minutes is 15.
And stlVUfan, if I made you listen to a whole day of Boers & Bernstein, my apologies. I owe you a beer or five because of that.

If you don't mention that Valpo hasn't won an NCAAT game since '98 that will make up for it.............oooops!

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 13, 2016, 07:06:48 PM

I had actually listened to at least one of the segments already.  I didn't actually sample the 5th hour yesterday, I just assumed I had already listened to it.

No worries.  I do enjoy them at times.  Who Ya Crappin' is must listen for me, as well as Friday Fung.  I like the way they do the 2nd Half, too.

StlVUFan

LOL, just listened to transition all 3 nights.  Nary a word about Valpo ;)

No big deal.  The last place I crave Valpo attention from is WSCR.  When it comes to College Basketball, the afternoon show is on my pay-no-mind-list.

ValpoDad89

StlVUfan, I have a friend that works over there (WSCR) and I'll see what I can come up with. Apparently Holmes did an interview with Bryce a few weeks earlier and talked about that and Bernstein in particular mentioned how sad a state of affairs Chicago college basketball was in that we recognize Valpo as being a Chicago team. He went onto say how well we were coached and that we should get more recognition had a had a yada. To the point I wanted to hold him to his commentary and do a "who you crappin" back at him. I too love that segment.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 16, 2016, 02:03:02 AM
StlVUfan, I have a friend that works over there (WSCR) and I'll see what I can come up with. Apparently Holmes did an interview with Bryce a few weeks earlier and talked about that and Bernstein in particular mentioned how sad a state of affairs Chicago college basketball was in that we recognize Valpo as being a Chicago team. He went onto say how well we were coached and that we should get more recognition had a had a yada. To the point I wanted to hold him to his commentary and do a "who you crappin" back at him. I too love that segment.
I still have the LoHo interview on my thumb drive, I do remember that.  After the interview was over he said he'd changed his mind a bit after talking to Bryce about Valpo's worthiness for an at-large bid.

I will say I do not find Bernstein to be a power-conference homer at all.  When he grouched about the 2010 title game he was just as dismissive Duke as he was of Butler.  He was also pointing out to everyone that Butler was no Cinderella (they spent much of the year in the top 15 and some time in the top 10).  He's also a Duke alum who can't stand Coach K (and can tell you insider stories from when he worked for the student newspaper).  He likes really high quality basketball and can't stand "bad" basketball.  As someone who has no room in his life for the NBA, I just have decided to reside in a different College Basketball universe than he does, which means I change the channel whenever they start talking basketball.

valpopal

This article by Mike Hutton should inspire further conversation. I wonder if Greg had become Bryce's assistant when asked in 2011 if he would have been hired as the head coach now. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0424-20160423-column.html

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on April 23, 2016, 09:41:00 PM
This article by Mike Hutton should inspire further conversation. I wonder if Greg had become Bryce's assistant when asked in 2011 if he would have been hired as the head coach now. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0424-20160423-column.html
The article would carry more weight if it was accurate. Beard and Ryan both had over 12 years of D1 assistant coaching experience. Not hard to find...

SanityLost17

AD's don't hire from the lower levels out of fear, not because of any data driven research that says that those with a D1 background are more successful.  Recruiting channels between the various levels are not nearly as different as many on this board perceive them to be.   

ValpoFan

If Tonagel was really interested in being a D1 coach, he should have accepted Lottich's invitation to join the staff.
If he can really recruit and things go well, Lottich will move up in a few years and Tonagel will be HC. Otherwise, people will always wonder if he can recruit D1.

ValpoDad89

Valpo fan, you are a spot on. Unfortunately, guys from NAIA D2 to D1 jobs are not happening anymore. Especially with a team that had Valpo's RPI and run in the NIT. What would behoove them is to step down and assist at a higher level and cut their teeth to be positioned to get a better gig. If Tonegal thought, with Valpo's recent success, he was getting rolled a red carpet for the gig he's terribly shortsighted.

Not sure his career ambitions but had he took an assistant gig here, when Lottich leaves in 4-5 years, he'd be poised to take over the program.

wh

Had Greg accepted Bryce's offer 5 years ago, we'd be referring to Coach Greg right now. He made a different decision; now he has to live with the consequences. He wasnt left out in the cold. He chose to stay outdoors. 

Can we stop feeling sorry for him now?

ValpoDad89

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 07, 2016, 01:28:56 PM
Very glad this is staying in-house.  You all will be happy with the hire when you hear from ml at the presser.  Players are staying, looks good for Alec too.

So are you saying Skara is staying now???

cmack

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 25, 2016, 06:22:38 PM
Very glad this is staying in-house.  You all will be happy with the hire when you hear from ml at the presser.  Players are staying, looks good for Alec too.

I certainly appreciate your activity on the board, especially with myself being a rare poster, but your quick jump at any completely unfounded rumors or misunderstandings is downright exhausting. Not to mention, the near constant references to DePaul. (Might I suggest a new drinking game where we drink each time ValpoDad refers to DePaul or mentions that his daughter is on the dance team.)

bbtds

Quote from: cmack on April 25, 2016, 06:45:58 PM

I certainly appreciate your activity on the board, especially with myself being a rare poster, but your quick jump at any completely unfounded rumors or misunderstandings is downright exhausting. Not to mention, the near constant references to DePaul. (Might I suggest a new drinking game where we drink each time ValpoDad refers to DePaul or mentions that his daughter is on the dance team.)

Everybody's got their quirks. Look at me....................

VULB#62

Quote from: cmack on April 25, 2016, 06:45:58 PM

Whoa everyone!  Let's all take a deep breath. Dad's comments have been valuable and he makes sure to qualify most of his observations. For me, the DePaul references add a context that show us what could be our fate if we do anything close to the stuff DePaul has pulled. The fact that his daughter has an ear into the VU athletic world is a lot more than most of us have. That is part of his qualifications.  Face it, most of us are speculators, with few or no sources, on a lot of topics.

There is a vehicle for communicating more personal comments. It's called a PM and it allows for more in depth conversations that should be conducted with a little more privacy.

I have seen a couple of good contributors driven off because of personal comments, that IMO should have been shared privately, but were instead mentioned as a public post.

The fact of the matter is that we have a great group of enthusiastic and thoughtful members. We need to cultivate that asset.

cmack

With all due respect, his daughter is 0 for 2, so thus far she has as much insider info as me 12 hours away from campus!

Nonetheless, I do not want anyone to be driven off for any reason.  There's no doubt ValpoDad has contributed far more to the board in six months than I have in a decade.

Maybe I am the only one with these thoughts but I'm Just making a suggestion to all to try to avoid jumping too quickly on rumors and innuendo that have no credibility.

vufan75

My suggestion, and I am pointing fingers at nobody in saying this. CHILL out ladies  and gents. This forum s/b a fun thing, not a "he said-she said" type thing. What is a fan message board for other than to exchange ideas, thoughts, and opinions, I would hope in a reasonably civil manner? I love the passion shown by all posters who take the time to contribute. To me it shows just  how much Valpo and Valpo Athletics means to us all.

Like 62 said, the overwhelming majority of us (myself included) share what we think we know, hear, or read. Like Dad said, take it for what it is worth. I enjoy following the recruiting game within MBB, and try to share what I can there. As for me, when President Heckler, AD MLB, or the BOD makes an official announcement, then I will believe facility/venue building and renovation will happen and what is timetable envisioned.

As badly as I want to see a renovated ARC for selfishly my passion MBB, I think at a private school like Valpo given $$ involved to renovate, and fundraising needs for that and other projects, things take some time. Do I wish the BOD moved up our Athletics facility needs to higher priority....you bet I do! The FITT Athletics fundraiser began  about 10 years ago and took what, about 7-8 years to happen in terms of building, with monies short for completing the track portion until a donor stepped forward. We all either need to wait patiently, or hope a mega million dollar donor (corporate or private party) comes along willing to donate millions toward Valpo ARC reno. #GoValpo

ARCInsider

Ask your daughter. ;)

ValpoDad89

Nice bro. But I guess you missed the Skara INSIDER info because he's GONE. I'm sure you make your parents proud being the ArcInsider and whatnot. And CMack what "rumors" did I provide that were unfounded, I posted what I heard and said TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH??? Did I say they were true???? The answer is a resounding NO. I'm 0-2 too by whatever metric you judge my posts. If I insult your intelligence so much skip past what I write, 'nuff said and pretty easy, isn't it? And ArcInsider, are you ticked that Drew was looking for a job while employed by Valpo or are you ticked at those that may be ticked that he left? Your posts paint a conflicting picture. I can't follow man. And being the "insider", how did you not know that Vujic was interviewing and may possibly take Skara with him if he didn't land the job. Inquiring minds want to know but I already know the answer, "ask my daughter." So much for "insider" info.

To those that appreciate what I say, thank you. For those that cannot stand that I invoke who my daughter is, well, take a flying leap. I love her and love the fact she chose this university as her destination for further studies. I loved this school the minute I came for a Game back in 2008. Way to rid me of something that I enjoyed, this board, but oh well. I try and justify my commentary and always caveat it by saying take it for it is for what is worth. I'm not sure who is reading so I try and justify where the info comes from. Valpo is a very tight knit and low student population, my daughter is good people. She hangs out at the trainers table with the athletes, she hangs out with some of these said athletes on campus and at parties. I only comment what she says because I assume many are alumni who aren't as close to the program then when they were on campus. Shoot me.

I invoke DePaul as that is where I came from and grew up with. Comparisons to the Valpo program are justified because they suck at what they're doing, are in the logistics of where Valpo is and Valpo has so much potential and every one of my posts enforces that. They play in a bigger conference that Valpo aspires to be in and it ticks me off that they collect checks for the sake of money rather than developing a program which I hope and think Valpo is doing. I've never said anything that points at DePaul being better than Valpo, Never.

ArcInsider, how can I argue with your great inside information and ability to discourse by saying "ask your daughter", you are truly a men amongst us posting boys. And CMack, you win, I will choose to watch my daughter, talk with her and enjoy Valpo basketball without ever posting a darn thing ever again. Enjoy the ride fellas, I'm out and done with dealing with crap like this. My bad, I just assumed from the people I encountered at this fine institution and had the pleasure to meet that this board (and there are so many darn good Indivduals here) would be much the same but it isn't as it seems some have their own agendas. Peace out, I wish everyone the best, no more words, Valpodad89

rogerwilco

Hey pals, things have escalated too much in this thread. We've turned it to 11 when it should be at 6.
Let's take a couple of Brown and Gold chill pills and simmer down. It's the off-season.

wh

Dad89 -
As '62 indicated, the personal criticism directed your way was unfair and unnecessary.  That said, if I let a couple of negative comments from other posters run me off the board, I'd have been gone years ago. lol

Here's the truth. You have quickly become one of the best posters on the board - flat out. Don't change a thing. Period. End of story.

Now, get back on that horse.  :)

a3uge

Guys, VD89 is LAA. Thought that was pretty obvious. Glad to see him back though.

Valpo89

Quote from: a3uge on April 26, 2016, 07:01:50 AM
Guys, VD89 is LAA. Thought that was pretty obvious. Glad to see him back though.

No it isn't.
LaPorte Avenue Apostle is not old enough to have a freshman daughter at VU.
I like ValpoDad89 because we share almost the same identification. Don't go, you're entertaining!

a3uge

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 26, 2016, 08:11:50 AM
Quote from: a3uge on April 26, 2016, 07:01:50 AM

No it isn't.
LaPorte Avenue Apostle is not old enough to have a freshman daughter at VU.
I like ValpoDad89 because we share almost the same identification. Don't go, you're entertaining!

LAA has had a variety of alter egos.