• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Press Conference

Started by Chuck A, April 12, 2023, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2023, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Chairback on April 12, 2023, 08:21:22 PM
What is Padilla's sons role at the university?  He mentioned his son was part of the interview process and had "spidey senses"

I think it points out the process Padilla was willing to go through to get the right hire.  He wanted to have his son involved--though not an employee of the university--because, among other reasons like a father/son understanding of what he wanted in a coach, but further that his son had been a head coach at the college level at a small private university and as a result at a very good understanding of how a coach needed to fit in or have the personality to fit in.

Yup, "spidey senses" counted with this hire. Both Padilla and Small knew that this was a major decision that could well have positive or negative ripple effects for the entire sports program and even the University at large.

I read Paul's Victory Bell piece this morning and came away very impressed by the systemic way in which Small, in particular, handled this hiring process. And when it came down to finalists, I'm sure the key decision makers had to search even deeper for the intangibles beyond the resume and overall interview impressions.

Of course, this only a first step, and time will tell if it was the right one, blah blah blah. But for a bunch of reasons, Valpo needed a "win" institutionally, and this is exactly that.

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on April 13, 2023, 10:41:31 AMThat was my initial thought. At the very least it seems there has been outreach/conversation unless his concept of hometown spreads out to Chicago.
I was just about to post that, based on the PC, Coach Powell's 'home' stretches certainly to Chicago. I think that was his reference.

Chairback

Were they any players at the press conference other than Ibra? 

He is the only one they showed from the stream. 

wh

I appreciate that Roger doesn't subscribe to the standard "under promise, over deliver" approach for managing expectations.  He has an incredible vision of what success at Valpo could look like and throws it out there for the world to hear. THAT'S visionary leadership.

humbleopinion

Quote from: Chairback on April 14, 2023, 08:38:44 AM
Were they any players at the press conference other than Ibra? 

He is the only one they showed from the stream. 

He was the only one that I saw.
Beamin' Beacons

tiny707

The Rev mentioned at the press conference he hoped to announce his staff by the end of the week. Hope that is still true. Maybe today?

beacons23

Quote from: David81 on April 13, 2023, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2023, 08:15:16 AM
Quote from: Chairback on April 12, 2023, 08:21:22 PM
What is Padilla's sons role at the university?  He mentioned his son was part of the interview process and had "spidey senses"

I think it points out the process Padilla was willing to go through to get the right hire.  He wanted to have his son involved--though not an employee of the university--because, among other reasons like a father/son understanding of what he wanted in a coach, but further that his son had been a head coach at the college level at a small private university and as a result at a very good understanding of how a coach needed to fit in or have the personality to fit in.

He was fired from a lacrosse job-how does that translate to basketball?  wtf

Yup, "spidey senses" counted with this hire. Both Padilla and Small knew that this was a major decision that could well have positive or negative ripple effects for the entire sports program and even the University at large.

I read Paul's Victory Bell piece this morning and came away very impressed by the systemic way in which Small, in particular, handled this hiring process. And when it came down to finalists, I'm sure the key decision makers had to search even deeper for the intangibles beyond the resume and overall interview impressions.

Of course, this only a first step, and time will tell if it was the right one, blah blah blah. But for a bunch of reasons, Valpo needed a "win" institutionally, and this is exactly that.