• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Any chance of a new USH podcast coming out soon?

VU2014

O Oren, Oren, wherefore art thou Union Street Hoops?

Quite a bit of relevant news the last few days with schedule news and a very important recruiting visit this weekend. Could make for a good episode.

VU2014

"Valparaiso released its 2018-19 non-conference schedule and beat reporter Paul Oren is here to breakdown each game, including a pair of contests against Sweet Sixteen participants West Virginia and Texas A&M.

Purdue Northwest men's basketball coach Boomer Roberts joins the pod to talk about having the opportunity to play Valparaiso.

Former NWI Times reporter Sean Hayden also joins Union Street Hoops on the 15-year anniversary of Scott Drew leaving the Crusaders for Baylor. Hayden shares some of his memories from the sudden coaching change."

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-the-schedule-episode/article_ff9ef152-a7e5-11e8-8343-d3349fc364be.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1033109683509370880

Chairback

I think what you are missing Paul is we are all worried about attendance declining.  This non conf home schedule does nothing to help that.  This home non conf schedule just hurts it.  That is our only beef, or at least mine.  It can be better and I question those in charge of making the schedule. 

I love your podcasts but disagree with your view in his one. It just can't be justified.  Plus way too long of a focus with PNW. 

Pgmado

Quote from: Chairback on August 24, 2018, 09:46:53 PM
I think what you are missing Paul is we are all worried about attendance declining.  This non conf home schedule does nothing to help that.  This home non conf schedule just hurts it.  That is our only beef, or at least mine.  It can be better and I question those in charge of making the schedule. 

I love your podcasts but disagree with your view in his one. It just can't be justified.  Plus way too long of a focus with PNW. 

Definitely fair points. Thanks for listening!

VU2014

"The 2018-19 basketball season is here! (Kind of) The Missouri Valley Conference held its annual Media Day event in St. Louis on Wednesday, Sept. 19. NWI Times beat reporter Paul Oren was on hand for the festivities.

Guests of the pod this week include Valparaiso coaches Matt Lottich and Mary Evans, players Bakari Evelyn, Markus Golder, Grace Hales and Meredith Hamlet, as well as Valley commissioner Doug Elgin."

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-media-day-musings/article_c2a97f5e-bd1d-11e8-a262-bf2e44623b8d.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1042894974889676805

Chairback

Couple of interesting things stood out in this podcast. 

1) the commish says an upgrade to the ARC is coming.  Nothing from the Valpo side but the commish speaks to it. 
2) no mention of Bradford whatsoever
3) scheduling, no one is asking for P5 for home OOC.  But we should be able to get in decent to above average mid majors.

I like that the women's team was included.  I agree with Paul that the program appears to be on the rise.   

VULB#62

There is something about Evans that speaks success I think she wiil be  a winner

wh

In noting that the conference has great facilities around the league, Commissioner Elgin added,

"Valpo is in a position now where they're going to upgrade their facility. We know that's coming."

From a Valpo perspective this is the most significant, revealing comment made at the entire event.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2018, 07:19:28 AM
In noting that the conference has great facilities around the league, Commissioner Elgin added,

"Valpo is in a position now where they're going to upgrade their facility. We know that's coming."

From a Valpo perspective this is the most significant, revealing comment made at the entire event.

I'm thinking the facility improvements he might be referring to is the ongoing work on the Hilltop gym (practice facility).

If he's talking about a real renovation to the ARC I'd be pleasantly surprised.

crusader05

I have heard that there has been a shift from "new rec center first" to "basketball arena improvements first" in regards to what they asking donors to contribute to and fund.

Hopefully this is another piece to show that improvements are top of the list.

FWalum

I guess I am a little confused.... I thought that the Missouri Valley Conference basketball media day was a large event with streaming media interviews of coaches, players and other MVC staff interviews and announcements.  Didn't I watch something like that last year??? I go to the MVC basketball news page and there literally is only 2 references to the media day, the most recent is an Adobe Spark page called "#The Valley Runs Deep".  Did I miss it??? Am I looking in the wrong place?? Is it still coming?? Whats the deal?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on September 21, 2018, 08:38:05 AM
I guess I am a little confused.... I thought that the Missouri Valley Conference basketball media day was a large event with streaming media interviews of coaches, players and other MVC staff interviews and announcements.  Didn't I watch something like that last year??? I go to the MVC basketball news page and there literally is only 2 references to the media day, the most recent is an Adobe Spark page called "#The Valley Runs Deep".  Did I miss it??? Am I looking in the wrong place?? Is it still coming?? Whats the deal?

Yeah it's generally streamed live on espn3, but maybe it shifted once espn+ started. It's earlier this year than past years. Comcast SportsNet Chicago puts together a hour long show of the highlights/interviews from the event and airs it on live TV closer to the start of the season.

Pgmado

Quote from: FWalum on September 21, 2018, 08:38:05 AM

They retooled the event this year and pushed it up several weeks. Yes, it was odd to have a Media Day without a preseason poll of All-Conference teams. Talking to Media was one small part of the day. The Valley filmed a lot video content with the coaches and players that will be used on broadcasts later on this year.

EddieCabot

I really enjoyed this podcast, especially the format of multiple short interviews instead of one primary guest.  My observations (many are repeats of comments above):

1.  I don't follow WBB closely, but was very impressed with the players and new coach.  Looking forward to the season!
2.  Good to hear Coach Lottich's view on scheduling.  Sounds like they work very hard at it, so I expect it will continue to improve.
3.  Disappointed that Commish Elgin didn't have any solutions for replacing the MVC/MWC challenge series.  That's now another hurdle that MVC teams have to face in non-con scheduling.
4.  Good to hear Elgin recognize and praise Valpo's post-season tournament success ... this sounds like a key factor in Valpo's selection.
5.  Thrilled to hear that Valpo will be making facility upgrades.  I'm not sure the university feels the same way, since they would probably like to make that announcement once the upgrade plans are more concrete. 

I've been critical of some posters here who are already pointing to '19-'20 as "the year" for Valpo ... I'm thrilled that the coaches/players are convinced that this should be the year they climb to the top of the Valley.  Valpo is every bit as talented and experienced as any other team ... why not them and why not now?

VULB#62

And did my ears deceive me, or did Elgin mention facilities improvements twice in his interview?

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 21, 2018, 10:38:35 AM
I've been critical of some posters here who are already pointing to '19-'20 as "the year" for Valpo ... I'm thrilled that the coaches/players are convinced that this should be the year they climb to the top of the Valley.  Valpo is every bit as talented and experienced as any other team ... why not them and why not now?

This is the only team I follow where the fans and local press have lower expectations than the players and coaching staff.

vu72

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2018, 02:32:41 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on September 21, 2018, 10:38:35 AM

This is the only team I follow where the fans and local press have lower expectations than the players and coaching staff.

It's kinda like we are expecting the other shoe to drop ala last year with Joe Burton and Tevonn and the previous year with Alec and Jubril.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Personally, I just noticed the new "Opening Music"... :)

VUGrad1314

If possible I'd love for you to get an interview with Mark Adams to discuss this new scheduling alliance he's putting together and his scheduling strategies. Do you know if Valpo-- or any MVC institution for that matter-- is or plans on becoming a member of this? Personally I think it's a great idea.

Pgmado

Quote from: talksalot on September 21, 2018, 04:19:19 PM
Personally, I just noticed the new "Opening Music"... :)

All good things must come to an end John. While I loved your opening, it's time for a new feel. Parker has moved to Florida, so the old opening didn't make much sense. People that listen know what USH is now and the intro was a bit long for my liking. I'm sure most people just skipped through it after a while. I've gone back and forth on a new co-host, but my preferred options haven't really come to fruition. Here's hoping people still enjoy the pod if it's just me and some random guests.

wh

PO - Clearly, Elgin is inferring that a facility improvement plan is in the works at Valpo. This is a huge news item for Valpo fans. If MH is aware of what Elgin said, Im sure he has a response prepared. Will you or your compadre Be following up with him about it?  If not, I guess I'll try to ask him myself at the open practice event for season ticket holders.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on September 25, 2018, 09:30:20 AM

PO - Clearly, Elgin is inferring that a facility improvement plan is in the works at Valpo. This is a huge news item for Valpo fans. If MH is aware of what Elgin said, Im sure he has a response prepared. Will you or your compadre Be following up with him about it?  If not, I guess I'll try to ask him myself at the open practice event for season ticket holders.

I'm wondering if they are planning a full scale Reno or improve bing smaller things?

He was very vague.

VULB#62

Any visible improvement is a step in a positive direction.  And the more the better. but even if they just replaced the PA sound system this year, it would signal a continued investment