• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 25, 2018, 11:40:25 AM
Any visible improvement is a step in a positive direction.  And the more the better. but even if they just replaced teh PA sound system this year, it would signal a continued investment

Reminds me of when my wife's lazy kid brother lived with us and at about the 6 month mark he started getting up before noon. Baby steps...

talksalot

Quote from: Pgmado on September 24, 2018, 10:55:19 PM
Quote from: talksalot on September 21, 2018, 04:19:19 PM
Personally, I just noticed the new "Opening Music"... :)

All good things must come to an end John. While I loved your opening, it's time for a new feel. Parker has moved to Florida, so the old opening didn't make much sense. People that listen know what USH is now and the intro was a bit long for my liking. I'm sure most people just skipped through it after a while. I've gone back and forth on a new co-host, but my preferred options haven't really come to fruition. Here's hoping people still enjoy the pod if it's just me and some random guests.

I told you after week 3 that I was already tired of the other one.  Maybe you can use go Cubs go...or Jack brickhouse yelling hey hey!  But you are winning time of possession.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: talksalot on September 25, 2018, 05:51:03 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on September 24, 2018, 10:55:19 PM
Quote from: talksalot on September 21, 2018, 04:19:19 PM
Personally, I just noticed the new "Opening Music"... :)

All good things must come to an end John. While I loved your opening, it's time for a new feel. Parker has moved to Florida, so the old opening didn't make much sense. People that listen know what USH is now and the intro was a bit long for my liking. I'm sure most people just skipped through it after a while. I've gone back and forth on a new co-host, but my preferred options haven't really come to fruition. Here's hoping people still enjoy the pod if it's just me and some random guests.

I told you after week 3 that I was already tired of the other one.  Maybe you can use go Cubs go...or Jack brickhouse yelling hey hey!  But you are winning time of possession.

Well you are both appreciated for your contributions!  Keep 'em Coming!!!

humbleopinion

I.T, assistance requested.  How do I get Alexa to play the podcast?  What request do I make?
Beamin' Beacons

bbtds

Quote from: humbleopinion on October 24, 2018, 05:30:04 AM
I.T, assistance requested.  How do I get Alexa to play the podcast?  What request do I make?

If it's "Alexa, play Valpoliberal" I know two guys who will never listen again.

VU2014

"It's the eve of the 2018-19 college basketball season and NWI Times beat reporter Paul Oren has released the Over/Under prop bets for Valparaiso's upcoming season.

Listen to the latest episode of Union Street Hoops as Paul sits down with the Voice of Valparaiso Athletics, Todd Ickow, to discuss the Over/Under props. Todd shares his picks for the upcoming season and you can too!"

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-the---over-under-episode/article_04c7f880-d95b-11e8-bf8e-37fa2177f384.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1055918814200762368

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on October 26, 2018, 06:59:32 PM
"It's the eve of the 2018-19 college basketball season and NWI Times beat reporter Paul Oren has released the Over/Under prop bets for Valparaiso's upcoming season.

Listen to the latest episode of Union Street Hoops as Paul sits down with the Voice of Valparaiso Athletics, Todd Ickow, to discuss the Over/Under props. Todd shares his picks for the upcoming season and you can too!"

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-the---over-under-episode/article_04c7f880-d95b-11e8-bf8e-37fa2177f384.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1055918814200762368

EXCELLENT episode Paul, thanks for doing such a great job for this little old Valpo program!  We are spoiled to have a guy that is this willing to donate his time and expertise to our program.  Keep up the good work.  You and Todd Ickow have great rapport, would be stellar having you two contribute with more frequency!

VULB#62

It gave me a great perspective on our kids and the season to come.

nkvu

Enjoyed Todd's insights on this year's team. With so many new players who are expected to be major contributors it helps to have someone with Todd's eye evaluating them. But like him, I wonder where the rebounds are going to come from. With our fives seeming to be likely under performers (Smits sounds like a potential major disappointment if McMillan ends up starting at the 5) we stand to get killed on the boards in a lot of games. But I will reserve final judgement until I see the team play.

VULB#62

I am happy that Mileek has shown much improvement over the off-season according to all reports and in listening to Todd on the podcast. Now he is rumored to be our starting 5. But wait. Isn't this the same kid who most times last year when inserted into a game picked up 3 fouls in an eye blink because he couldn't match his opponent's quickness or something like that?  As I recall from last year, posters on this board were concerned about him being a defensive liability. What may have changed?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 27, 2018, 09:10:21 AM
I am happy that Mileek has shown much improvement over the off-season according to all reports and in listening to Todd on the podcast. Now he is rumored to be our starting 5. But wait. Isn't this the same kid who most times last year when inserted into a game picked up 3 fouls in an eye blink because he couldn't match his opponent's quickness or something like that?  As I recall from last year, posters on this board were concerned about him being a defensive liability. What may have changed?

Nothing of substance, it has to be proven in game.  Practice can only illustrate so much growth.  IMO his top priority is controlling his aggression level...

tiny707

Looks like starters will be Javon, Deion, Bakari, Ryan and Mileek.

justducky

Quote from: tiny707 on October 27, 2018, 03:48:35 PM
Totally from my gut but I will put the number of starts for each at Javon 20, Deion 12, Bakari all, Ryan all, and Mileek 8. The entire bench has started or could start situationally. This is good because the more options we have the better.

FieldGoodie05

That's (arguably) 4-players that had insignificant to NO minutes on last years VU team . . .

Mileek must've really made strides if coach supplants Smirolla at Center.  I know "starter" is no guarantee of having the minutes lead at that position but it's a significant statement to Smits.  I previously thought Chef's post about Mileek playing C was more of a matchup driven option rather than season starting option.  It is noteworthy that Sorolla being injured to start the season was likely the reasoning behind Mileek getting the nod.  Has Smits really fallen to 3rd string Center?

Key Takeaways from Union Street Hoops:
-Why are our coaches asking Todd Ickow at practice "if this team is better than last years"?  Maybe it's because 50% of them were not around last year . . . still felt like a really odd thing to ask of Ickow.
-Deion Lavender "right up there as the biggest surprise, really really solid with the basketball.  He's a true PG and can get to the basket while Bakari will play off the ball" (Ickow)
-Javon Freeman is beyond a normal mid-major recruit, as is Daniel Sackey (Ickow)
-Daniel Sackey is Buggs with a quality shot.  But the "coaches are working with him to limit his TOs" (Ickow)
-Fazekas "is beyond most MVC type players" (Ickow)
-Gordon looks tremendous, "he looks like a Big East player"
-Markus Golder, I was really hoping to hear Ickow and PO talk about his ball handing improving but no mention, that alone will limit his season success IMO
-"We will be a better Free Throw shooting team this year.  Your top guys shooing FTs will be Fazekas, Bakari and Golder, all excellent FT shooters" (Ickow)

Bring on the season already, I know many of us are ready to see some college basketball again!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on October 27, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
Totally from my gut but I will put the number of starts for each at Javon 20, Deion 12, Bakari all, Ryan all, and Mileek 8. The entire bench has started or could start situationally. This is good because the more options we have the better.

They harped on the podcast that coach plans on keeping players at one position for much of the season.  If I read between the lines correctly, our coaches felt that last years team hadn't a clue what they were supposed to be doing in the musical chairs (position) that was going on.  So if that is the case, I think what we are seeing is Coach Lottich learning from last years "throw ___ at the wall approach".

If I can borrow an example, University of Michigan football (last year) really bit themselves in the ____ by not starting the season with set rolls within the team (in particular QB).  Their HC made a concerted effort his year to name starters and get players comfortable in their roles and there is a noticeable change in execution by this years Michigan football team.  I think the same can be said about Coach Lottich's possible mindset here.  Although I know that we had adversity, there was still a lot of position swapping going on throughout our losing streak around Christmas and in January.  Some of that was us reeling from the gut shots of mono and losing Burton, but also a lot was players moving all over the position depth chart and being asked to do very different things.  I felt during those early MVC games that we were running around the court aimless.

Again, this was a small excerpt from the Podcast and I am reading between the lines but I don't think that the starters will change as much as last year.  I also think that players will mostly stay "in position" for the majority of their minutes. 

tiny707

Also, a third place finish is a possible....

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 27, 2018, 05:06:53 PM-Deion Lavender "right up there as the biggest surprise, really really solid with the basketball.  He's a true PG and can get to the basket
If this proves true it is enormous. A senior point guard who can reliably deliver at both ends could make the difference!  :o I think I will need to see this to believe it!

Quote from: tiny707 on October 27, 2018, 06:04:03 PMAlso, a third place finish is a possible....
There are always some question marks but if Deion and our point play looks good in November then our entire season could be ratcheted up a notch.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 27, 2018, 05:06:53 PM
Key Takeaways from Union Street Hoops:
-Why are our coaches asking Todd Ickow at practice "if this team is better than last years"?  Maybe it's because 50% of them were not around last year . . . still felt like a really odd thing to ask of Ickow.

Doesn't Todd always get this level of insider access? Him being to able to observe practice probably helps him during his broadcasts of the game, as well as helping him ask the right questions in his weekly Valpo All-Access Coaches Show with Coach Lottich.

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 27, 2018, 05:15:30 PM
Quote from: justducky on October 27, 2018, 04:48:22 PM

They harped on the podcast that coach plans on keeping players at one position for much of the season.  If I read between the lines correctly, our coaches felt that last years team hadn't a clue what they were supposed to be doing in the musical chairs (position) that was going on.  So if that is the case, I think what we are seeing is Coach Lottich learning from last years "throw ___ at the wall approach".

If I can borrow an example, University of Michigan football (last year) really bit themselves in the ____ by not starting the season with set rolls within the team (in particular QB).  Their HC made a concerted effort his year to name starters and get players comfortable in their roles and there is a noticeable change in execution by this years Michigan football team.  I think the same can be said about Coach Lottich's possible mindset here.  Although I know that we had adversity, there was still a lot of position swapping going on throughout our losing streak around Christmas and in January.  Some of that was us reeling from the gut shots of mono and losing Burton, but also a lot was players moving all over the position depth chart and being asked to do very different things.  I felt during those early MVC games that we were running around the court aimless.

Again, this was a small excerpt from the Podcast and I am reading between the lines but I don't think that the starters will change as much as last year.  I also think that players will mostly stay "in position" for the majority of their minutes. 

The loss of Burton right before conference play really mucked things up and the Tevonn's case of mono threw a wrench in things. But the coaches were able to experiment a bit last season, which could pay dividends down the road. Bakari was forced to play more off the ball and he thrived there. Golder was forced into playing some PF last season and he actually played well against certain matchups. Bradford thought he could be Steph Curry during the first half of season and hopefully we'll never see that disaster ever again. I really want to know if he was given the green light to play that way in the first half. I hope not. I know we have been speculating an eventual Micah transfer for years but if he's just bench warmer this season it might become a reality.

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 27, 2018, 05:06:53 PM
Mileek must've really made strides if coach supplants Smirolla at Center.  I know "starter" is no guarantee of having the minutes lead at that position but it's a significant statement to Smits.  I previously thought Chef's post about Mileek playing C was more of a matchup driven option rather than season starting option.  It is noteworthy that Sorolla being injured to start the season was likely the reasoning behind Mileek getting the nod.  Has Smits really fallen to 3rd string Center?

What I really find interesting is that Mileek is going to be playing the 5 Long-Term and Sorolla was going to win the starting job, that would have put a minutes crunch on Smits this season. We are recruiting another true Center in Bediako for the 2019 class. Does that mean that the Coaches are accepting a potential transfer this offseason?

M

I don't think so. Mileek at 5 gives them the opportunity to go small and play fast. Smits and Sorolla are gone after next season. If they land Bediako he can develop that first year and be ready to step in as a bigger contributor as a sophomore.

EddieCabot

Latest episode of Union Street Hoops was posted yesterday at https://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-is-valpo-good/article_81a937be-f2a2-11e8-8bcf-a3a4cc75bc88.html

A good "pick me up" for anyone feeling down about the team.  Paul has a way of finding the positives and putting things in proper perspective.

VUGrad1314

Thanks Paul for this edition of the podcast. Sorely needed and greatly appreciated. I felt very encouraged after hearing it and feel much better now that we've beaten UNLV.