• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Tulsa is a top 100 academic school with more name recognition and a large endowment
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2010

Ya it's called ferpa pretty sure but I'm saying joe never said either... right? Just curious.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 18, 2018, 04:52:12 PMWith all due respect it's been 31 games now since Burton last played. That's a season's worth and ample time to have someone step into that role
With all due respect players don't generally "step" into that role, they are recruited for a role.  Joe Burton, an ESPN top 100 player, a kid who dominated at the high school level, was recruited to be the Alex Peters scoring replacement.  Leaving the program when he did completely screwed up the recruiting cycle.  With the exception of Lavender our recruiting for the 18-19 season was already essentially done when Burton unexpectedly left the program and while Freeman and Sackey have every indication of being very good players, freshman were not going to replace Burton. The cycle was interrupted and we are still dealing with the consequences.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on December 19, 2018, 10:35:26 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 18, 2018, 04:52:12 PMWith all due respect it's been 31 games now since Burton last played. That's a season's worth and ample time to have someone step into that role
With all due respect players don't generally "step" into that role, they are recruited for a role.  Joe Burton, an ESPN top 100 player, a kid who dominated at the high school level, was recruited to be the Alex Peters scoring replacement.  Leaving the program when he did completely screwed up the recruiting cycle.  With the exception of Lavender our recruiting for the 18-19 season was already essentially done when Burton unexpectedly left the program and while Freeman and Sackey have every indication of being very good players, freshman were not going to replace Burton. The cycle was interrupted and we are still dealing with the consequences.

Looking at our roster for a "go to" candidate reveals these insights. Player U- No way! Player V-Maybe. Player W-Over my dead body! Player X- Possibly under the right circumstances. Player Y- The team would have to create his shot opening. Player Z - Refer back to U and W! So I agree that our choices are limited with none being ideal.

For 2019-20 the job may still be open.  :o  Freeman was recruited to make plays and shots so he would be my early frontrunner. Gordon might also have that type of confidence. Evelyn ( My player V- maybe) will have to step forward now to grab and hold this honor.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on December 19, 2018, 10:35:26 AMWith all due respect players don't generally "step" into that role, they are recruited for a role.  Joe Burton, an ESPN top 100 player, a kid who dominated at the high school level, was recruited to be the Alex Peters scoring replacement. 

Whoever Alex Peters is he never played for Valpo. Alec Peters did play for Valpo before being drafted by the Suns.

oklahomamick

Bbtds, we have bigger problems than correcting a long time fan and poster in FWalum when hitting the "x" instead of the "c" when typing Alec. I think he knows it's alec. 

For record the c and x are next to each other on the keyboard. 

Stay on track. 

CRUSADERS!!!

VU2010

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 20, 2018, 07:31:51 AM
Bbtds, we have bigger problems than correcting a long time fan and poster in FWalum when hitting the "x" instead of the "c" when typing Alec. I think he knows it's alec. 

Stay on track. 

Thanks oklahomamick, I'm a relatively big guy and do have fat fingers.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Stay on track. 

If you were Alec or one of his relatives, who I know read the message board, you would be upset. If people called you oklahomamike even if by accident I know you wouldn't like it. I stand by my correcting people who aren't careful enough to even get our most awesome Valpo player's, except for maybe Bryce (you think he liked it when someone called him Bruce at Vanderbilt), name correct.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on December 20, 2018, 02:36:02 PM

Stay on track. 

If you were Alec or one of his relatives, who I know read the message board, you would be upset. If people called you oklahomamike even if by accident I know you wouldn't like it. I stand by my correcting people who aren't careful enough to even get our most awesome Valpo player's, except for maybe Bryce (you think he liked it when someone called him Bruce at Vanderbilt), name correct.

bbtds please get off your sp kick, go be a grade school teacher if it's that important to you.

VU2014

"Humbug! There's no Christmas cheer for Valparaiso as the Crusaders dropped a pair of non-conference games to Ball State and Texas A&M this week. NWI Times beat reporter Paul Oren tries to make sense of two disappointing defeats as the fan base is looking for their gift receipts.

Ball State assistant coach Matt Crenshaw joins the pod to discuss the 2003 Mid-Con title game when the former IUPUI guard knocked down a buzzer-beater to defeat the Crusaders. Crenshaw also talks about being in the Navy for six years and what it was like to play in the NCAA tournament the day the United States went to war."

https://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-coal-in-valpo-s-stocking/article_bc919a3a-04ac-11e9-8c55-3bfae0ee6c9a.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1075895394331172865

VUGrad1314

We got so caught up in the anticipation and aftermath of the MVC opener that... I think we all missed the fact that Paul dropped a new episode on us (I certainly missed it) so here it is if you haven't heard it.

https://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-mid-term-grades-valley-preview/article_22b14302-0ed4-11e9-92e4-6b8201df9430.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

VUBBFan

Hello? HELLO? Are you still there?

I NEED my fix of Union Street Hoops. I'm going through a hard withdrawal.

So much has happened since our last taste and I'm so hungry for more news and insight.

Can you help a fan out? Please?

M

You're just going to have to be gritty and persevere through this.

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 14, 2019, 12:04:38 PM
Hello? HELLO? Are you still there?

I NEED my fix of Union Street Hoops. I'm going through a hard withdrawal.

So much has happened since our last taste and I'm so hungry for more news and insight.

Can you help a fan out? Please?

Not positive, but didn't someone say Paul is down and out with the flu?

crusader05

He has been sick. I believe in said on twitter that it will be out today or tomorrow though.

bbtds

Quote from: crusader05 on January 14, 2019, 02:41:18 PM
He has been sick. I believe in said on twitter that it will be out today or tomorrow though.

Any substitute teachers available to do a podcast? We all promise to behave for the sub. Really, we do. Really!!

VUBBFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 14, 2019, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 14, 2019, 02:41:18 PMHe has been sick. I believe in said on twitter that it will be out today or tomorrow though.
Any substitute teachers available to do a podcast? We all promise to behave for the sub. Really, we do. Really!!

Ha ha ha, as we slowly reel them in unsusceptibly.

VUGrad1314

Would it be better at this point to just wait until after the Loyola game?

VULB#62

VUBBFan