• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanityLost17

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 20, 2019, 01:37:52 PM
This is what stood out to me: "You don't fire a coach after three years unless it's a complete disaster. And this is not a complete disaster. They're trending upward."

Wow. Potential back-to-back last-place finishes, not a complete disaster apparently.

I can make current emotional decisions based on "potential" futures as well.  In fact, I don't think I am going to leave the house today, somebody "potentially" could hit me with their car.   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 01:58:21 PM
This is what stood out to me: "You don't fire a coach after three years unless it's a complete disaster. And this is not a complete disaster. They're trending upward."

Wow. Potential back-to-back last-place finishes, not a complete disaster apparently.

I can make current emotional decisions based on "potential" futures as well.  In fact, I don't think I am going to leave the house today, somebody "potentially" could hit me with their car.

And boom goes the dynamite!  Well said haha

oklahomamick

Lottich doesn't deserve to get fired (nor will he).  Lottich does deserve much criticism.  Next year if Valpo doesn't finish top 3 or make it to the final, Lottich should be fired. 

We have the talent.....must be the coach. 

CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2019, 03:15:04 PM
Lottich doesn't deserve to get fired (nor will he).  Lottich does deserve much criticism.  Next year if Valpo doesn't finish top 3 or make it to the final, Lottich should be fired. 

We have the talent.....must be the coach.
I keep seeing posts that say we have a ton of talent. In reality, this team doesn't have much top-end talent. Smits is a starter on most teams and Javon will be great one day, but there's not a player of the year contender, and possibly even 1st team MVC player on the roster for the next few years. Beyond some nice role players, the talent drops off considerably, and that has been evident with a few injuries.

They're definitely in a better place than last year, and should be in the top half of the league next year, but they still lack a go-to player (like a Peters or Broekhoff) to seriously contend for a championship. I'm not sure Javon is that player, but maybe one of the new guys coming in next year will help Valpo take the next step.

oklahomamick

I wouldn't say we are an untalented team coached by a genius......
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

Quote from: a3uge on February 20, 2019, 05:26:22 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2019, 03:15:04 PMLottich doesn't deserve to get fired (nor will he).  Lottich does deserve much criticism.  Next year if Valpo doesn't finish top 3 or make it to the final, Lottich should be fired. We have the talent.....must be the coach.
I keep seeing posts that say we have a ton of talent. In reality, this team doesn't have much top-end talent. Smits is a starter on most teams and Javon will be great one day, but there's not a player of the year contender, and possibly even 1st team MVC player on the roster for the next few years. Beyond some nice role players, the talent drops off considerably, and that has been evident with a few injuries. They're definitely in a better place than last year, and should be in the top half of the league next year, but they still lack a go-to player (like a Peters or Broekhoff) to seriously contend for a championship. I'm not sure Javon is that player, but maybe one of the new guys coming in next year will help Valpo take the next step.
This is probably the best post I've seen on the talent level of the team. I find that some posters overvalue some of the guys on the roster.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JD24 on February 20, 2019, 09:28:28 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 20, 2019, 05:26:22 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 20, 2019, 03:15:04 PMLottich doesn't deserve to get fired (nor will he).  Lottich does deserve much criticism.  Next year if Valpo doesn't finish top 3 or make it to the final, Lottich should be fired. We have the talent.....must be the coach.
I keep seeing posts that say we have a ton of talent. In reality, this team doesn't have much top-end talent. Smits is a starter on most teams and Javon will be great one day, but there's not a player of the year contender, and possibly even 1st team MVC player on the roster for the next few years. Beyond some nice role players, the talent drops off considerably, and that has been evident with a few injuries. They're definitely in a better place than last year, and should be in the top half of the league next year, but they still lack a go-to player (like a Peters or Broekhoff) to seriously contend for a championship. I'm not sure Javon is that player, but maybe one of the new guys coming in next year will help Valpo take the next step.
This is probably the best post I've seen on the talent level of the team. I find that some posters overvalue some of the guys on the roster.

Hard to argue against this, maybe this more than most explains why (without strong defense) we are so very vulnerable to losing streaks.

oklahomamick

I would say Golder, Smits and Freeman would start for all other MVC schools (exception Smits at Loyola and Southern).  Freeman in time will be MVC player of the year candidate.
CRUSADERS!!!

GoldenCrusader87

Happy for the win. Truly. As concerned as I was before this gutted out win, I'm equally concerned. Though I think others have certainly said it well. Will be interesting to see how we perform down the stretch. How you end a season - esp with this many potential returning starters/players - can result in a motivated off season and kick off a good 19-20 season. As for USH, I guess I'll listen again but don't really care to voluntarily spend my time listening to Paul going "scorched Earth" on fans upset after losing 7/8 ... or now 7/9.

Then again, perhaps I'm like the fish ... tempted by the bobber ... only to be hooked once again into the master's plan...

VUGrad1314

He really wasn't that bad. I felt like I was heard as a fan and my concerns were addressed and also given fair expression. They were fair and levelheaded in their analysis in my opinion. I came into that episode concerned and came away satisfied.

crusaderboy

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2019, 01:58:21 PM

Who is making an emotional decision? Take all emotion out of it, if you can. Is this team trending upward? Do you see player development?

You are either growing or dying in this world. What do you see when you look on the court? It's not hard to see with your own eyes. What's hard is then admitting to yourself the team you love might not be working out.

GoldenCrusader87

Idk how you could feel concerned going into the podcast, listen to it, and then leave feeling satisfied. Again, that was as fair and balanced as mainstream news stations. As balanced as listening to a debate betweeen Bernie Sanders and AOC on a political topic. Gotta bring in a very very different POV. Like a Ted Cruz haha. NOT being political here. Just giving an illustration.

wh

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2019, 12:04:33 PM
My specific concern is why after 30 games into the season is there such inconsistency in player energy and effort from 1 game to the next, from 1 half to the next half, from the opening 10 minutes vs. the rest of the game, from 1 player to the next, etc. How did we recently blow out ILS and Muller said they were never ready to match our energy and intensity, then turn around and sleepwalk through parts of the next 2 or 3 games? How did we go from committing to a new hard nosed, "gritty" playing style before the PNW game, and using that "take no prisoners" style to get off to a great start in conference, then suddenly developing a sort of empty souled, zombie look? Why do we constantly have to make line up changes to motivate players to play harder?  How after all this time does the absence of a former walk-in become a primary reason we got off to a "slow start?" 

How frustrating it must be to lead a team whose energy and effort levels ebb and flow randomly like someone with severe biplolor disorder.  I don't know if this is a Matt problem or a player problem, but I do know that it has become so prevalent, so dysfunctional, that it is now part of the team's identity.

I did not get to see last night's game, nor was I able to listen to much of it. That said, maybe someone can respond to s couple of questions.

1. I noticed that once again Matt shook up the starting line-up with Jay starting and Derrik coming off the bench. Has anyone offered up a reason for it? Was it yet another attempt to send a message to Derrik that he needs to play hard at both ends of the court? Or, not take any plays off? Etc.?

2. Collectively, they had pretty good offensive stats. Any thoughts about whether Matt may stay with this, or should stay with it?

3. Any thoughts about the team's collective effort relative to other recent games?

justducky

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMIs this team trending upward?
No

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMDo you see player development?
Freeman and Sackey Yes- major -but with large game to game variations
Sorolla and Smits      Yes- slowly getting better-- painfully slow
Kiser                       Yes - small improvements
Golder and McMillan  Not nearly enough------ I had fooled myself into believing Mileek could make significant contributions. Markus also seems to have some limits to his upside.
Evelyn.                    No
Fazekas.                  Uncertain- I'll give him an injury pass with the hope he can return to early January form.

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMWhat's hard is then admitting to yourself the team you love might not be working out.

You could be right but the injuries have really muddied the water.

M

I kind've wonder if Smits was under the weather...he only logged 16 minutes.

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 21, 2019, 01:14:34 PM
Quote from: wh on February 20, 2019, 12:04:33 PM
My specific concern is why after 30 games into the season is there such inconsistency in player energy and effort from 1 game to the next, from 1 half to the next half, from the opening 10 minutes vs. the rest of the game, from 1 player to the next, etc. How did we recently blow out ILS and Muller said they were never ready to match our energy and intensity, then turn around and sleepwalk through parts of the next 2 or 3 games? How did we go from committing to a new hard nosed, "gritty" playing style before the PNW game, and using that "take no prisoners" style to get off to a great start in conference, then suddenly developing a sort of empty souled, zombie look? Why do we constantly have to make line up changes to motivate players to play harder?  How after all this time does the absence of a former walk-in become a primary reason we got off to a "slow start?" 

How frustrating it must be to lead a team whose energy and effort levels ebb and flow randomly like someone with severe biplolor disorder.  I don't know if this is a Matt problem or a player problem, but I do know that it has become so prevalent, so dysfunctional, that it is now part of the team's identity.

I did not get to see last night's game, nor was I able to listen to much of it. That said, maybe someone can respond to s couple of questions.

1. I noticed that once again Matt shook up the starting line-up with Jay starting and Derrik coming off the bench. Has anyone offered up a reason for it? Was it yet another attempt to send a message to Derrik that he needs to play hard at both ends of the court? Or, not take any plays off? Etc.?

2. Collectively, they had pretty good offensive stats. Any thoughts about whether Matt may stay with this, or should stay with it?

3. Any thoughts about the team's collective effort relative to other recent games?

In the [resser Matt said thathe told the team that nobody was an automatic starter and that they had to prove it in practice.  I guess it was a message of sorts but they both played well.  Deion was really good as he was the last time we played SIU.  My guess is he will stay with this starting lineup.  As for collective effort, it was there on both ends of the floor. Clearly the score indicates that there was good defense on both ends and for once, we played better than they did in the second half which shows an adjustment at half.  Pippen was a beast in the first half,(six points 3 blocks) but then only had one point and 5 turnovers in the second.

I sensed a good vibe from Deion and Javon in the presser as they perhaps realized that they can actually win games and not just get close only to lose.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Quote from: justducky on February 21, 2019, 01:22:07 PM
Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMIs this team trending upward?
No

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMDo you see player development?
Golder and McMillan  Not nearly enough------ I had fooled myself into believing Mileek could make significant contributions. Markus also seems to have some limits to his upside.
Fazekas.                  Uncertain- I'll give him an injury pass with the hope he can return to early January form.

Quote from: crusaderboy on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 AMWhat's hard is then admitting to yourself the team you love might not be working out.

Agree on all counts of player development.   

For anybody who thinks the injuries haven't gotten to us.   Look at Duke last night without Zion.   Look at how Loyola was playing with a healthy Williamson compared to games without him.  Even Drake took a few games to snap out of it without Norton.   

The difference is all those teams have 1 major injury.  For us the hits just kept coming.   No way Golder has been at or near 65% since his injury.  Smits has games he looks really tight (back).  It wasn't just Fazekus, it was the whole of the injuries that really got us.   

GoldenCrusader87

I was waiting for someone to try and compare the impact of injuries at Valpo to the injury of Zion last night. I knew it would come up. Sure, enough - it did.

I 100% agree. The loss of Zion - a mediocre mid major player - is a completely analogous comparison to the injuries we've had this year. So thankful it was finally brought up! I finally feel so much better about the season and realize without the injuries we'd likely be a top seed in the tournament, playing on national tv for game day, and drawing the attendance of celebrities to our games. Tickets would be starting at $2,500 for a battle against the Salukis!

crusader05

it's not like it was Zion and a team of scrubs. They are all caliber players that should be able to play with UNC even without the best player in the NCAA. His point was, when you lose a pivotal point to your offense, you can struggle and we lost several and we did.
We still lost games we should have one and yes this is life and things aren't fair and you need to adjust my people can acknowledge the illness and that they created a weak spot for a team that wasn't ready to take these types of punches.

Look i'm sorry but can we stop treating every person who doesn't got all "burn it down and salt the earth" as idiots making excuses. You can disagree without immediately going to the dramatic "oh my god look at you and your ridiculous excuses, I must be so wrong for having expectations for this team" framing.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 21, 2019, 02:34:29 PM
I kind've wonder if Smits was under the weather...he only logged 16 minutes.

He sucks hard at defense, might have been time to start a player that was defensive minded.  I'm of the belief that ramming the ball down to Smits for most of MVC has been problematic to offensive flow and early regular TO.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 21, 2019, 05:51:19 PM
I was waiting for someone to try and compare the impact of injuries at Valpo to the injury of Zion last night. I knew it would come up. Sure, enough - it did.

I 100% agree. The loss of Zion - a mediocre mid major player - is a completely analogous comparison to the injuries we've had this year. So thankful it was finally brought up! I finally feel so much better about the season and realize without the injuries we'd likely be a top seed in the tournament, playing on national tv for game day, and drawing the attendance of celebrities to our games. Tickets would be starting at $2,500 for a battle against the Salukis!

You remind me of my son when he's tired and hungry.

He's 7.

Make a real argument about why the analogy is flawed, or go be sarcastic somewhere else. This is a remarkably civil board on an internet full of cr@p. Please don't be that guy.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on February 21, 2019, 07:05:12 PM

He's 7.

Make a real argument about why the analogy is flawed, or go be sarcastic somewhere else. This is a remarkably civil board on an internet full of cr@p. Please don't be that guy.

Zion 21.6 ppg (25% of team points)
Duke 85.9 ppg

Fazekas 13.3 ppg (almost 20%)
Valpo 68.4 ppg

You really cannot make an argument on anything other than % of contributions.  Who gives a crap if Zion is the next MJ, it really only matters what % of team offense he was at time of the injury.  Take out Zion and insert Player A....

Fact is we are likely better than .500 team with all guys healthy and continuous continuity...end of story.

crusaderboy

Quote from: justducky on February 21, 2019, 01:22:07 PM
No

Freeman and Sackey are freshman. We will get a better feel for true development next season. Does Sackey learn to raise his release point in the lane to decrease the likelihood of a blocked shot? Does he work on free throws and look for contact? Does Freeman work on an outside shot and to tighten his handle?
Sorolla Smits -- no and hell no.
Kiser -- it doesn't matter
Mileek -- nope.
evelyn and fazekas -- no.

The only guy I really feel bad for is Golder. It is obvious he worked really hard to develop that fallaway jumper that had become such a weapon for him.

I don't know. I just expect more.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 21, 2019, 07:18:04 PM

He's 7.

Zion 21.6 ppg (25% of team points)
Duke 85.9 ppg

Fazekas 13.3 ppg (almost 20%)
Valpo 68.4 ppg

You really cannot make an argument on anything other than % of contributions.  Who gives a crap if Zion is the next MJ, it really only matters what % of team offense he was at time of the injury.  Take out Zion and insert Player A....

Fact is we are likely better than .500 team with all guys healthy and continuous continuity...end of story.

[/b]

Likely?  The understatement of quite some time.  We   ARE at .500 overall and were 20 points away from four other wins in the Valley. That would put us in first place.  We are close...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 21, 2019, 07:18:04 PM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 21, 2019, 05:51:19 PMI was waiting for someone to try and compare the impact of injuries at Valpo to the injury of Zion last night. I knew it would come up. Sure, enough - it did. I 100% agree. The loss of Zion - a mediocre mid major player - is a completely analogous comparison to the injuries we've had this year. So thankful it was finally brought up! I finally feel so much better about the season and realize without the injuries we'd likely be a top seed in the tournament, playing on national tv for game day, and drawing the attendance of celebrities to our games. Tickets would be starting at $2,500 for a battle against the Salukis!
You remind me of my son when he's tired and hungry. He's 7. Make a real argument about why the analogy is flawed, or go be sarcastic somewhere else. This is a remarkably civil board on an internet full of cr@p. Please don't be that guy.
Zion 21.6 ppg (25% of team points) Duke 85.9 ppg Fazekas 13.3 ppg (almost 20%) Valpo 68.4 ppg You really cannot make an argument on anything other than % of contributions.  Who gives a crap if Zion is the next MJ, it really only matters what % of team offense he was at time of the injury.  Take out Zion and insert Player A.... Fact is we are likely better than .500 team with all guys healthy and continuous continuity...end of story.
The issues with Zion Williamson and Valpo's injury situation are only somewhat related. The Duke situation was one of in game....very early in a game....losing one of your two best players. That can be very rattling to a team and I thought it showed considering the opponent. Valpo's injury issues have been more of a drip drip drip situation in which the roster has never seemed healthy.

The roster isn't great and I don't think it has a lot of depth which injuries eat into.