• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

Disappointing? Sure. Frustrating? You bet. But I think it's important to remember it's only ML third year as the head coach. Recruiting the first year was way behind since he got hired in April. He got Freeman, Fazekas, and the transfers who are sitting out this year....appears he can get talent. I think hes still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and it's frustrating. Next year is critical for the program, and it'll be interesting to see how he does since he'll have "his guys" who have been in his "program" for multiple years. Let's hope it works.

NativeCheesehead

Enough on Tonagel. He hasn't coached a day above NAIA. He can't sit down there and get mad if he doesn't get interviewed. (Not saying he is, but clearly some are.)

In reality, he has nothing left to prove there. If it's really his desire to be a DI HC, he needs to get experience on that level. He could easily get a #2 or #3 assistant's job with his resume.

Those advocating for Greg would have gone ballistic if we named a NAIA coach as our HC if his name was anything other than Greg Tonegal, so calm down a bit.

crusader05

I agree. Also, I don't think we need to go down another "hometown hero coaching his alma mater" road again.

The Drews have been good for Valpo Basketball but Valpo Basketball has also been very very good to the Drews but I don't know that's it's a model that was healthy for everyone involved.

IrishDawg

Joe Otis has forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know, but to act like it should just be automatic that kids should just shoot 75-80% when there's about 35 teams in a given year that shoot that well from the foul line is a little too "back in my day we did blah blah blah".

Free throw shooting at the NCAA level is actually better now across the country than what it's ever been.  The last 4 years have seen the highest free throw percentages than any years since Kenpom's got records for back all the way to 1948.  This year's Valpo team, if you look at the team's free throw shooting over the last 19 years is ranked 11th.  Not great, but not terrible either and they're about 1.5% off of being average nationally.

In terms of coaching, you guys are better versed in what Lottich does than I'll ever be, but I don't think he's done a terrible job.  Team has young talent that needs development, and ultimately I think if he's going to be successful, that's what needs to happen.

VUGrad1314

Honestly I don't think we would be nearly as upset if we hadn't lost in such an excruciating way so many times especially on our home floor. The two absolute no shows against Indiana State and Bradley on the road didn't help matters much either. 2 wins in the final 12 games doesn't sit well with anyone.

crusader05

I think for me it's less the blow outs (those happen to every team) vs the close losses that really are due to the team's tendency to go cold. If we played at consistent level, not even a better one, we win a lot more games.

I've said before I don't think the problem is coaching strategy as much as it's team development/mental and that's hard to address mid season, especially with the inconsistent line-ups we had. They need a reevaluation about how they prepare for the season and whether it's really getting them mentally prepared for the pressure of the games. Being a gym rat is great, putting in lots of effort and having great practices is good too but something intangible is still missing. I hesitate to say there's no "heart" to the team but I kinda feel like that's it. They feel like a hodge podge of talent and backgrounds that haven't figured out how the pieces make a whole picture.

GoldenCrusader87

Again, I'll never understand why some of you make these ongoing excuses. It's only his 3rd year as a head coach. Boo hoo. Greg needs D1 coaching experience first? Oh, right. So, it made more sense for us to hire a guy who had been an assistant coach at ONE mid-major D-1 school under ONE head coach who was a control freak. Who likely had next to no direct say on in-game decisions.

VS.

Someone who has won 3 national championships in 5 years as THE HEAD coach. Makes sense.

He should go sit under Matt for 3 years first. Then, he'll magically be ready?

Here's a 13-year old article on Greg:

https://www.heraldargus.com/news/opinion/my-pick-for-iu-hoops-coach-greg-tonagel/article_60b0fa5a-c9b1-594e-a45d-16599ad5c571.html

What was Matt doing 13 years ago?

crusader05

A different opinion than you on whether we should have hired another person is not an excuse.

M

It's been discussed more then a couple times why Lottich was hired and why he was probably the right choice at that time.

We get it...you hate Lottich, the AD, and anyone who disagrees with your posts.

Maybe you'll never understand...but give it more then a month.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on March 06, 2019, 04:16:58 PM
Joe Otis has forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know, but to act like it should just be automatic that kids should just shoot 75-80% when there's about 35 teams in a given year that shoot that well from the foul line is a little too "back in my day we did blah blah blah".

Free throw shooting at the NCAA level is actually better now across the country than what it's ever been.  The last 4 years have seen the highest free throw percentages than any years since Kenpom's got records for back all the way to 1948.  This year's Valpo team, if you look at the team's free throw shooting over the last 19 years is ranked 11th.  Not great, but not terrible either and they're about 1.5% off of being average nationally.

In terms of coaching, you guys are better versed in what Lottich does than I'll ever be, but I don't think he's done a terrible job.  Team has young talent that needs development, and ultimately I think if he's going to be successful, that's what needs to happen.

Agreed, at one point only two teams in the country were above 80%, I remember posting that after being surprised myself.  But he was a refreshing commentator and I hope he joins us again soon.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 06, 2019, 12:29:59 PM
Those of you who listen to Joe's comments regarding Matt need to listen closely. He's a professional.
And, it's not his first rodeo. He's not going to call for Matt to lose his job. But, if you listen closely - you will hear his concerns regarding Matt. And, the mention of his advocation for Tonagel is telling. Didn't even get an interview? What a joke. Makes me sick. And don't even tell me it's because of his religious views. Absurd. The man can flat out coach. We're the losers in this. As are our players. 3 national championships in how many years? 5??!!!??

You're crazy if you think that Greg wouldn't have this team performing better. I'm 1,000% confident he would.

And stop talking about Matt's playing career. I could honestly care less how "good" of a player he was. Honestly. Just like when I hear he runs the point guard for the scout team.

Cool. Have fun. Glad you can play. But my goodness. Increased winning % next year will be a result of transfers more than coaching. Which he can get credit for since he seemingly played a role in getting them to transfer. But, the man is stubborn. And will not get better without his willingness to humble himself and learn.

(Sound of deep breath inhaling)
(Sound of long exhalation)

GoldenCrusader87

I don't hate any of them. I want to support a well-run program. I want that more THAN believing in a pipe dream. When you check your spelling, then you can explain your ability to read my mind.

M

Oh goodie or goody...another grammer nahtzi

GoldenCrusader87

How's this for a spelling lesson ...

Give me a G - G!
Give me an R - R!
Give me an E - E!
Give me a G - G!

What's that spell? WIN!

Louder! WIN!!!!

FieldGoodie05

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 06, 2019, 08:03:05 PMWhen you check your spelling, then you can explain your ability to read my mind.

bravo!

VULB#62

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 06, 2019, 06:55:59 PMAgain, I'll never understand why some of you make these ongoing excuses. It's only his 3rd year as a head coach. Boo hoo. Greg needs D1 coaching experience first? Oh, right. So, it made more sense for us to hire a guy who had been an assistant coach at ONE mid-major D-1 school under ONE head coach who was a control freak. Who likely had next to no direct say on in-game decisions. VS. Someone who has won 3 national championships in 5 years as THE HEAD coach. Makes sense. He should go sit under Matt for 3 years first. Then, he'll magically be ready? Here's a 13-year old article on Greg: https://www.heraldargus.com/news/opinion/my-pick-for-iu-hoops-coach-greg-tonagel/article_60b0fa5a-c9b1-594e-a45d-16599ad5c571.html What was Matt doing 13 years ago?
Dude...or Dudette.....

JD24

Quote from: crusader05 on March 06, 2019, 05:21:18 PMI think for me it's less the blow outs (those happen to every team) vs the close losses that really are due to the team's tendency to go cold. 
Agreed that flat games (i.e. blowouts) occur to every team. The close game issue, I think, is due to the lack of a real go to guy who is a lock to score or at least make a play resulting in a score in most situations.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on March 06, 2019, 03:41:33 PM
I agree. Also, I don't think we need to go down another "hometown hero coaching his alma mater" road again.

The Drews have been good for Valpo Basketball but Valpo Basketball has also been very very good to the Drews but I don't know that's it's a model that was healthy for everyone involved.

I think it's more accurately "Valpo basketball was also been very, very good FOR the Drew's. It was the right fit at the right time - a university with a fledgling D-1 bb program, which provided a unique opportunity for Homer to move up in the coaching world. I suppose you could say they were very good TO him (not sure about "very, very") by staying with him during the lean years at the beginning. Other than that, Valpo was like any other employer, was it not?

crusader05

I mean to because of the fact that they hired both sons, as well as rehiring homer after the first left, so that he could hold the reins until Bryce was ready to take over coaching.

I know they were't always happy with how little money was spent. BUT Valpo basketball is the reason both sons have a very lucrative coaching career right now, and that wouldn't have happened if Valpo hadn't stuck by Homer during really rough times in the beginning and chose to allow Valpo Basketball be their stomping grounds for so long.

oklahomamick

Just because a coach can recruit doesn't mean he will have success.  On this board, we have ripped the Steve McClain and Ray McCallum of the HL for the very same thing. 

Bring in King Kampe.  I'm kidding.  Kind of.  Anything is better at this point.
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Arguments could be made both Bryce and Scott would have had good careers without Valpo. Scott has clearly proved he can coach with the big boys, and though it may have taken an extra few years, cream rises.

Bryce would have ended up at a different college as a player, and of course who knows how that would have turned out, NBA pension, etc.

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 07, 2019, 05:09:59 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on March 06, 2019, 03:41:33 PM

I think it's more accurately "Valpo basketball was also been very, very good FOR the Drew's. It was the right fit at the right time - a university with a fledgling D-1 bb program, which provided a unique opportunity for Homer to move up in the coaching world. I suppose you could say they were very good TO him (not sure about "very, very") by staying with him during the lean years at the beginning. Other than that, Valpo was like any other employer, was it not?

Perhaps.  But it wasn't like Valpo was just providing a job.  The Drews (Homer and Bryce) were, at their peak, the highest paid employees at Valpo--including the President.  If there wasn't a commitment to basketball, the high salaries would have been the reason they let them go to another mid-major program and then bring in another coach who would be around for a few years until something better came along.  Valpo paying and keeping Bryce, as they did, put him in a position to wait for what he deemed to be a perfect fit.  We'll see about that.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Looking forward ML's podcast with Paul. Many things to discuss.