• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

To me, the big news in the broadcast was Todd's comment that he would be totally shocked if Bradford is seen in a Valpo uniform again. I hope this means another spot opens soon for an additional recruit or transfer.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on April 28, 2019, 08:11:19 AM
Let's be honest. Jay is a bad offensive player, borderline terrible. I hope we find someone else.

I wouldn't say terrible but more or less, "limited". This is just my opinion but I don't think next season needs a stud offensive center. We need an experienced big who could eat minutes and play solid-good defense and Jay offers that. Not to mention he also has experience playing with some of these guys. Is he a perfect player? No, but he's what this team needs. You also need to factor that the market for quality experienced bigs is extremely thin. Nobody we can land on the grad-transfer market is going to be a guy we want to run the offense through.

I hope Jay comes back to Valpo because I think he could play a role that would have a "big" impact on the court. He'd also have the chance to be "the" guy at center and get to show international scouts how good he can be.

VU2014

It sounds like UNCW is pursuing Jay. Former Valpo assistant Jackie Manuel is on that staff. He also lured away Marty Linssen after his freshman season. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on April 28, 2019, 10:56:01 AM
To me, the big news in the broadcast was Todd's comment that he would be totally shocked if Bradford is seen in a Valpo uniform again. I hope this means another spot opens soon for an additional recruit or transfer.
I seem to remember saying, months ago, that MB will never play at VU again.

VU2014

Quote from: valpospartan on April 28, 2019, 03:03:01 PM

I think Micah was fully anticipating on playing at VU until it no longer became his choice. Well it was his choice but he made a pretty dumb mistake and risked his scholarship/roster spot.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on April 28, 2019, 03:03:01 PM

You deserve a kudos.

GoldenCrusader87

I was perturbed to see that Micah was speaking at a camp or something the other day. He's not (or shouldn't be) an ambassador of our program.
And, if he is ... we've got bigger problems on our hands. Nothing spells out a "me mentality" than getting in trouble for something and then getting in trouble for it again. Jeopardizes your team. That's as "me-oriented" as it gets.
Sorry.

M

It wasn't a VU camp. Pretty sure he was there as a favor to the guy who ran the camp.

SanityLost17

I was also very interested by the "Javon didn't want to leave" comment.  I have a feeling the family wasn't happy with him playing on the 9th place MVC team given how well he played and what his potential is.   I can understand that.   Goes back to my comment months ago that said if we could manage 11 wins in conference we would have Javon back.   

Oh well.  Too late now. 

I also liked the fact they compared Zion Morgan to a poor man's Javon.   Zion was highly touted out of HS, had injury problems in college and sounds like he is just not getting back to normal.  With his age and if he is indeed back to full speed, "keeping Sackey in front of him" we might just survive the loss of JFL. 

I will mimic others on the board.   I wouldn't hate if Sorolla came back, but if we could get a grad transfer with more offense I would be happy.  I am really not opposed to 6-8 or 6-9 guys playing center that can step out and shoot the 3.   Not sure we need a true big man.   Look at Da Silva from Mo-State.   A guy like that and I do think we will legitimately be more competitive next year. 

It is almost like Lottich struck out in his first round of team building and now gets a 2nd chance (whether he deserves it or not).  Will he learn from his mistakes?   Hopefully he knows more about exactly what players he needs to build a winner.   

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 29, 2019, 07:28:00 AMwe might just survive the loss of JFL. 

You would think we lost Alec Peters or Bryce Drew.  JFL was a good player but didn't even make 2nd team all League.  He was a tremendous defensive player who scored 10.6 ppg in conference play and shot 26.4% from the 3.  10.6 ppg on a terrible shooting team while playing far and away the most minutes.

I think once you see Donovan and Zion play defense (and they are both taller), I think the memory of JFL and Golder will soon fade.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 29, 2019, 08:17:29 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 29, 2019, 07:28:00 AMwe might just survive the loss of JFL. 

You would think we lost Alec Peters or Bryce Drew.  JFL was a good player but didn't even make 2nd team all League.  He was a tremendous defensive player who scored 10.6 ppg in conference play and shot 26.4% from the 3.  10.6 ppg on a terrible shooting team while playing far and away the most minutes.

I think once you see Donovan and Zion play defense (and they are both taller), I think the memory of JFL and Golder will soon fade.

This Scouting report from the Jeff Goodman article about the best remaining available transfers says it pretty accurately for JFL.
QuoteScout's take: "Long, athletic slasher who is very good in the open court and good at getting into the paint on drives. Gets a lot of steals on defense, but also because he gambles. Needs to improve his perimeter shot."
Would have been difficult for Javon to ever become a Bryce, Alec or Ryan because of his lack of an overall offensive game. JFL will be a very good player and would have been a great for us... if he could have developed a more consistent outside and midrange shot. Javon was great at getting steals, but Tevonn Walker was a better on ball defender. Javon had the occasional "olé" moment when he gambled and then watched his man go uncontested to the rim.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

It doesn't matter whether a player scores/shoots  a lot or very little, at the D-1 level you have to be able to shoot well.

EddieCabot

I know Morgan can shoot from 3, but haven't heard much about Clay.  Does he shoot well from the perimeter or is he a slasher like JFL was?

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 29, 2019, 10:59:02 AM

I know Morgan can shoot from 3, but haven't heard much about Clay.  Does he shoot well from the perimeter or is he a slasher like JFL was?

His shooting stats are nothing short of spectacular:  2PT FG 69%  3PT FG 39%  Combined 63%

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/basketballboys/stats/teamstatplayer.php?t=3&s=746&p=880920

Note: I had to add up the game-by-game stats to get season totals.  6 games didn't have shot attempts, so I excluded those. 

These amazing numbers are supported by quotes from newspaper articles about Donovan, including from our own Michael Osipoff:

On the season, Clay is averaging 17.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists a game while shooting 40 percent from the three-point line and 63 percent from the field.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-notes-donovan-clay-st-0205-story.html

Clay was averaging 18 points and eight rebounds. He was shooting better than 60 percent, including above 40 from 3-point range.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-notes-donovan-clay-st-0205-story.html

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on April 27, 2019, 10:44:47 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 27, 2019, 09:45:03 PM
The apologetics for Lottich on this podcast are unsurprising but frustrating and disappointing. It isn't ALL his fault but it IS his responsibility ultimately.

Paul and Todd are not going to rip on our returning coach, nor should they. Their take is the same as mine (which is why I like it). Some of the guys who left are addition by subtraction, the guys replacing them are a better fit, and the team is now positioned for a successful season coming up, and hopefully beyond. As Todd said, "If it doesn't turn out that way, that'll be on Matt."  What more is there to say?

I finally had a chance to listen and thought the analysis was solid.  Paul and his guest seemed not surprised/disappointed by the departures and were really high on the talent level of the newcomers (both transfers and freshmen).  Looking forward to seeing how all these new guys mesh together.

I also had a chance to watch some video on Krikke and was really impressed.  He reminds me quite a bit of Belmont's Dylan Windler ... lanky lefty with great skills.

VU2014

If Paul can get Lottich on the podcast I hope he presses on questions like "what would you have done differently your first 3 years in hindsight?", "what have you learned from your first 3 years?" (Don't let him give you a canned answer, drill into him and ask for specifics), "why do you think so many guys left?", "what type of offense would like to run here? How will it differ from your last two seasons?"

Obviously there are so many questions. Just keep drilling for concrete/specific answers.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on April 29, 2019, 02:07:39 PM
If Paul can get Lottich on the podcast I hope he presses on questions like "what would have have done differently your first 3 years in hindsight?", "what have you learned from your first 3 years?" (Don't let him give you a canned answer, drill into him and ask for specifics), "why do you think so many guys left?", "what type of offense would like to run here? How will it differ from your last two seasons?"

Obviously there are so many questions. Just keep drilling for concrete/specific answers.

I don't think that will happen.

valpo64

Haven't we had enough of "get Lottich"?  There has been enough "stuff" thrown around on this subject on this Board recently that everyone should of had his fill of it.  But I guess some people never do get enough.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on April 29, 2019, 03:11:40 PM
Haven't we had enough of "get Lottich"?  There has been enough "stuff" thrown around on this subject on this Board recently that everyone should of had his fill of it.  But I guess some people never do get enough.

I'm not looking for Paul to play "gotcha" in a interview with Lottich. All I want is real and truthful answers to fair questions. I think the best example I could give was when Michael did his yearly big end of the season interview with Mark LaBarbera he asked the tough follow up questions. I think it's totally fair to ask those questions of Lottich. It's just a waste of time if he's going give the fluff answers to questions and not asked for specific. Matt is a man and has been in that head coaching position for 3 years, so he can take some deservedly hard and fair questions.

ValpoFan

I enjoy the podcast and I really appreciate Paul and all he does for us as fans. One of his best attributes is the ability to say it like it is. No sugarcoating!

Ickow is not in the same boat. He is a university employee and it is his job to market the programs and drum up interest. Therefore, I know what to expect from him. Every recruit we bring is unbelievably awesome and every team we put on the court is amazing!!! I have nothing against the guy...I can't blame him for doing his job. But I don't have to believe what he says.

I am a little surprised to read some of the reactions re: JFL not wanting to leave. So the kid is in an exit interview and he does not want to burn any bridges, so he tells the coaches, AD, and whoever else is there that he really liked Valpo and did not want to leave but he has to. This is like a BF/GF using lines such as: "it is not you, it is me" or "you deserve someone better than me".
If JFL did not want to leave, he doesn't have to leave. He is an adult and has a full ride scholarship with his name on it.

M

I think you have it backwards. Paul is a university employee...Ickow, I'm pretty sure, donates his time to do those play by play calls.

vu72

Quote from: M on April 30, 2019, 02:17:09 PM
I think you have it backwards. Paul is a university employee...Ickow, I'm pretty sure, donates his time to do those play by play calls.

No way Todd isn't on a salary.  He would need to be one heck of a poker player to support a family and be away from home as much as he is.  Remember he also does all the football broadcasts.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

I could be wrong, that has happened once before.

wh

Quote from: ValpoFan on April 30, 2019, 01:46:31 PM
I enjoy the podcast and I really appreciate Paul and all he does for us as fans. One of his best attributes is the ability to say it like it is. No sugarcoating!

Ickow is not in the same boat. He is a university employee and it is his job to market the programs and drum up interest. Therefore, I know what to expect from him. Every recruit we bring is unbelievably awesome and every team we put on the court is amazing!!! I have nothing against the guy...I can't blame him for doing his job. But I don't have to believe what he says.

I am a little surprised to read some of the reactions re: JFL not wanting to leave. So the kid is in an exit interview and he does not want to burn any bridges, so he tells the coaches, AD, and whoever else is there that he really liked Valpo and did not want to leave but he has to. This is like a BF/GF using lines such as: "it is not you, it is me" or "you deserve someone better than me".
If JFL did not want to leave, he doesn't have to leave. He is an adult and has a full ride scholarship with his name on it.

I have to agree. Unless he had a "sponsor" (like Skara had that blackmailing clown Dave Marcella), such an idea doesn't make a lot of sense.

ValpoFan

I stand corrected. I was too focused on Paul's role as a NWI Times writer, I forgot that he is also a university employee.
I should have been more precise and say that Ickow is an employee of the Athletic Department while Oren is not.