• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

Also I don't think they meant they thought someone make Freeman leave. It was only one sentence but I thought he was drawing a distinction between those that are leaving cause they are disgruntled with the program and Javon who, maybe, was just making a basketball as business decision to try to get to a bigger program.

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusader05 on April 30, 2019, 06:07:33 PM
Also I don't think they meant they thought someone make Freeman leave. It was only one sentence but I thought he was drawing a distinction between those that are leaving cause they are disgruntled with the program and Javon who, maybe, was just making a basketball as business decision to try to get to a bigger program.

A number of us have conjectured on what they meant when they said that he didn't want to leave (I can't remember the exact words).  I hope that either Chef or Pgmado can expand on the brief statement.
Beamin' Beacons

VUBBFan

Here's my take on Javon. He verbal committed early and to his credit stayed firm when some bigger schools sniffed around.

He was used to winning in high school and comes to a College that ends up with a losing record. While he is here in the Valley he gets all these accolades, praises and talk of possible freshman of the year award.

Now I think he has second thoughts about his quick decision for Valpo and gets a little buyer's remorse. Thinking about what might have been going to a bigger school with a winnable record. He has a ton of followers on Twitter so I am sure he was getting a lot pressure from them too, saying he's wasting time at a small school.

Bottom line if we would have had a good winning record and had gone farther in the MVC tourney, I think he might have stayed.   

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2019, 04:36:32 PM
Quote from: ValpoFan on April 30, 2019, 01:46:31 PM
I enjoy the podcast and I really appreciate Paul and all he does for us as fans. One of his best attributes is the ability to say it like it is. No sugarcoating!

Ickow is not in the same boat. He is a university employee and it is his job to market the programs and drum up interest. Therefore, I know what to expect from him. Every recruit we bring is unbelievably awesome and every team we put on the court is amazing!!! I have nothing against the guy...I can't blame him for doing his job. But I don't have to believe what he says.

I am a little surprised to read some of the reactions re: JFL not wanting to leave. So the kid is in an exit interview and he does not want to burn any bridges, so he tells the coaches, AD, and whoever else is there that he really liked Valpo and did not want to leave but he has to. This is like a BF/GF using lines such as: "it is not you, it is me" or "you deserve someone better than me".
If JFL did not want to leave, he doesn't have to leave. He is an adult and has a full ride scholarship with his name on it.

I have to agree. Unless he had a "sponsor" (like Skara had that blackmailing clown Dave Marcella), such an idea doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dave Maravilla

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0305-20170304-column,amp.html

wh

A fun listen and good trip down memory lane!

VUBBFan

Good interview with AD Mark. Nothing earth shaking but some good information. Touched on the direction of ARC improvements. Sounds like there is a plan but gave no particulars. The best part of the interview was the explanation of the schedule buyouts and what they are using the money for. They also talked more about scheduling games.

VUGrad1314

A plan but no specifics is tantamount to no plan... How are we supposed to get behind a project and support it or get hopeful for one when we don't even know what is in the works? Why so secretive about everything? If you've got a plan show us and tell us how we can help. If you don't have a plan then just be honest enough to tell us you've got nohting and then deal with the fan reaction. It won't be good but at least we'd appreciate your honesty.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 15, 2019, 09:40:07 PM
A plan but no specifics is tantamount to no plan... How are we supposed to get behind a project and support it or get hopeful for one when we don't even know what is in the works? Why so secretive about everything? If you've got a plan show us and tell us how we can help. If you don't have a plan then just be honest enough to tell us you've got nohting and then deal with the fan reaction. It won't be good but at least we'd appreciate your honesty.

We announced the "specifics" of the George Washington game....how'd that end?  I get your enthusiasm but if it's premature to announce then I think it's reasonable to only hint.  He's also using the media to his advantage by drumming up excitement on a significant project.  I'm ok with his wording because it's not as if he's teased this "donor" before...

VUGrad1314

Interesting comments on MH's leadership and his role in getting us to the MVC. Disappointing a bit to hear them say that "We are not in the MVC without Mark Heckler because of how that makes the VU Board look. Also good perspective on  the difficulty of the HL transition and knowing that especially in all sports this is actually a tougher transition than our transition to the HL. Fair and inarguable point.  However small point of order The MVC actually fielded 3 teams in the baseball tournament this past year. Tournament Champion (Indiana State) and at larges Illinois State and Dallas Baptist (Associate Member for Baseball only)

NotBryceDrew

Anyone have any idea of Oren's status with the University after the release of those messages in the spring? Business as usual, beat the investigation, or did it just completely blow over?

Pgmado

Thanks all for listening to USH. Got a lot of good feedback and nice messages after this one.

The plan is to get some more players on future episodes once summer vacation ends in a couple days. Lots of people have split town before classes start up on Tuesday, then it's back to work for everyone.

You may have also noticed a change in leadership at The Times sports department. Thrilled to have Mike Clark running the show. Robbie and I will continue to cover VU as well as a host of high school sports. This should be an exciting year!

oklahomamick

Good podcast, thanks Paul.

Mvc transition is a bigger jump than the HL when considering all sports.

I don't think so in men's hoops.  When we entered the hL there multiple bids and teams winning games in the ncaat.  Runner up national champ where in the HL.   
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Are you kidding?  Over all, the strength of the MVC is heads and shoulders above the HL.  And in the long run, for many years in the past and also for the future, there is no comparison.

VUGrad1314

In all sports, this is absolutely true. It is a massive step up. The at larges in volleyball baseball and womens basketball tell us all we need to know but in mens basketball specifically it was a comparable jump. Remember, when we joined the HL the league was operating at or close to its ceiling before dropping off precipitously after Butler left. Right after we joined the MVC, the league showed us what it can be and proved to have a higher ceiling than the HL. That should continue now as the Valley appears to be a wide open league where parity reigns. Wichita State for all the good that they did for the MVC as an individual program was not good for the competitiveness of the league as a whole because they had suppressed the other programs. Nobody wants to invest in a program that is guaranteed to be fighting for second place which was the case in the MVC for the previous like six or seven years before Valpo joined. Across the board there is no comparison between the MVC and the HL. In mens basketball there was some comparison at the respective times of Valpo's admission into the two leagues but there's no question now which league has the higher ceiling (and floor) in the flagship sport of mens basketball.

vu72

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on August 16, 2019, 08:00:34 AM
Anyone have any idea of Oren's status with the University after the release of those messages in the spring? Business as usual, beat the investigation, or did it just completely blow over?

As far as I know he is still a professor in the Communication Department.

https://www.valpo.edu/communication/about/faculty-and-staff/paul-oren/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

I've been thinking about Valpo's proposed strategy on dealing with the NET and while I get the logic of it on its face I'm dubious as to whether or not it will actually work. If they take a bunch of games to artificially goose their offensive and defensive efficiency ratings the committee is going to see right through that and skip right to the next middling P5 school with a comparable NET rating. Maybe there's some room for this strategy but SOS still matters. You need good series and good wins. You need to win some of your buy games (Belmont got in because they did this as well as sweeping Murray State and Jacksonville State in the regular season) AND you need good metrics. But you need good interesting non conference series for fan interest. Trotting out old conference rivals that aren't very good for easy wins isn't a very good long term strategy for fan interest and it won't likely have the desired effect for getting more bids or improving seeding unless the team also has some strong underpinnings to buoy its case.

VUBBFan

In classes offered this fall. Paul is listed as the Prof for at least 6 classes. I haven't heard of anything that would lead me to believe he would not be with the University.

Pgmado

Yes, I'm still there. Looking forward to a great year. Teaching a sports journalism class in the fall that we've got some great things planned for. There will be even more ESPN broadcasts this year as well.

VUGrad1314

Like real honest to goodness ESPN family of network TV games carried on cable or ESPN+ stream stuff?

VUBBFan

Quote from: Pgmado on August 16, 2019, 04:26:56 PMYes, I'm still there. Looking forward to a great year. Teaching a sports journalism class in the fall that we've got some great things planned for. There will be even more ESPN broadcasts this year as well.

I would be sad if you were gone.
You ARE the information God of Valpo Basketball

Pgmado

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 16, 2019, 04:28:21 PM
Like real honest to goodness ESPN family of network TV games carried on cable or ESPN+ stream stuff?

More sports will be covered. More grad students here for Sports Media. Excited to get more involved. Let's find the next Adam! Haha.

VUGrad1314

Hmmm That's still a good sign.

oklahomamick

From 1995 to 2011, the Horizon League has sent 24 teams to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament.  Those clubs have produced 22 wins in those 14 years, including five "Sweet 16" appearances, making the Horizon League the only non-BCS conference with Sweet 16 participants in at least five of the last nine tournaments (2003, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2011).
We arrived in the HL in 2008. 

Sweet 16 appearances - Butler (2003, 2007, 2010 and 2011), and Milwaukee (2005). Cleveland St. with a NCAAT win as well.
Butler appeared in the men's national championship game in both 2010 and 2011,

Bleacher reports also ranks 2011 Butler team as the 6th best mid major team ever. No MVC team appeared in top 10. 

For the MVC, just as I did with the HL I will only look at 13 years prior to Valpo's acceptance.  I will also include MVC's last two years in which we have participated. I will not include schools who are not currently in the MVC.

UNI sweet 16 in 2010.  2004-2006 mvc had two current members make the NCAAT each year.  2007 saw southern Illinois make the sweet 16.

You guys know as well as everyone that these MVC numbers don't look as good because they are missing two members.......That was not the case with the HL.   
CRUSADERS!!!