• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I'm not too optimistic about this teams chances, but the program might be in a healthier spot then it was last season in terms of chemistry and the players within it. If you listened to the podcast with eron Gordon, he eluded to guys pretty much having one foot in and one foot out of the program last season... a bunch of our kids were being recruited by other programs midseason. Cough... smits... bakari...cough....

We are better off without them long-term, especially with so many young players.

I'm fairly concerned about our interior defense... we need guys to play team defense to get stops. This team has the potential to possibly pull off surprise wins but I think it will be definitely up and down. I'm expecting a bottom half of the Valley finish, but for the arrow to be pointing up at the end of the season, as long as we don't suffer any key transfers, the future will be fine. Just my  :twocents: for whatever it's worth. I'm excited for the season to start.

VUGrad1314

But what does that mean for Matt's future? If we have another bottom half finish even with the arrow pointing up does the program commit to a contract extension? I would be concerned that another bottom half finish will make the fans even more restless and that they will demand change even if the seeds of progress have been sown. Will the administration remain patient? Is it prudent to do so? I'm raising these questions without answers because I don't know them. I wouldn't want to see any forward momentum for the program get squashed especially since I believe that this team has the potential to be good as it matures and comes together but at the same time how much progress is enough progress for a coach that has shown absolutely nothing without Alec Peters? (Sorry to be so blunt and harsh but it's true).

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 28, 2019, 01:01:24 AM
But what does that mean for Matt's future? If we have another bottom half finish even with the arrow pointing up does the program commit to a contract extension? I would be concerned that another bottom half finish will make the fans even more restless and that they will demand change even if the seeds of progress have been sown. Will the administration remain patient? Is it prudent to do so? I'm raising these questions without answers because I don't know them. I wouldn't want to see any forward momentum for the program get squashed especially since I believe that this team has the potential to be good as it matures and comes together but at the same time how much progress is enough progress for a coach that has shown absolutely nothing without Alec Peters? (Sorry to be so blunt and harsh but it's true).

First off, I expect a top half finish.  What if it doesn't happen and, say, we finish 6th or 7th having lost three games by single digits?  If Matt is let go expect the transfer gates to open WIDE  Matt has now put together a squad that at least op the surface appears to be "his type of players".  They seem close and probably feel as close to the coaches as to each other.  If he is gone then probably so is Coach Gore and probably so is five or six of the team.  It would be a last place finish again for several years and the collapse of the program.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2019, 08:20:00 AM

First off, I expect a top half finish.  What if it doesn't happen and, say, we finish 6th or 7th having lost three games by single digits?  If Matt is let go expect the transfer gates to open WIDE  Matt has now put together a squad that at least op the surface appears to be "his type of players".  They seem close and probably feel as close to the coaches as to each other.  If he is gone then probably so is Coach Gore and probably so is five or six of the team.  It would be a last place finish again for several years and the collapse of the program.

I'm with 72 on this.  A coaching change would also stop the recruiting momentum that's been picking up.  I really doubt a change gets made unless this season goes south in a big way.

crusader05

For better or worst, Matt made it clear where he thought the issues with last team lay. Team cohesion and players that didn't fit in the dynamic he wanted. That will not be available to him this year so if we see the same issues emerge you're gonna have a hard time not looking direct at coaching. Now, if they still struggle but it's clearly due to a young team and not whatever mental collapse happened last year than I say you keep him on and give him more time but if we have a pretty clear repeat of last year than it's gonna be hard to not say he's not ready for this level.

SanityLost17

I would say extend him on a short term contract.   I want to see where he is going with this team all the way through JFL and Sackey's senior seasons.   If we are not on an upward trajectory by that point then it is never going to happen.

Somebody said, "he hasn't done anything" since Alec Peters.    I don't know about all that.  Before the injury bug last year we were really coming together the 1st half of the conference season.   We had a few home games there with a skeleton crew that we barely lost that would have kept us out of Thursday.

If you think a fully healthy Valpo team would have still played on Thursday last year you are ABSOLUTELY stupid....and that is with a team whose minutes consisted mostly of freshman and upperclassman who didn't want to play here anymore.   

elephtheria47

It may hurt short term, as noone wants to commit to a coach in limbo, but I agree that ML should get a short term extension unless he blows this season's doors off and then make it long term. ML is behind an 8 ball with our facilities and our higher academic standards, he needs to find niche players. High school players now have physical evidence what style of basketball ML plays and how they will fit into it. I too would like to see Sackey and JFL mature and get through their senior years. It's a guard's game and they are two young great ones. I believe this year will be around 500 (too many question marks at the 5, not enough consistency from returning players) but it's certainly easy to see this team moving to the upper echelon in the next few years as the team grows. We have young talent. Does that happen a year early? It's possible, and it's also possible this team falls off the rail like last year, not that I expect either scenario to actually happen. We'll be in for a fun season and after what we went through last year, that will be enjoyable.

valpolaw

If we have another mediocre/bottom half finish, then what would be the reason for extending ML to a short term contract?  Bryce and Alec Peters have been gone for quite some time and we haven't exactly torn it up since then.  Are we going to accept being mediocre?  I certainly hope not. 

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpolaw on October 29, 2019, 12:00:07 PMIf we have another mediocre/bottom half finish, then what would be the reason for extending ML to a short term contract?  Bryce and Alec Peters have been gone for quite some time and we haven't exactly torn it up since then.  Are we going to accept being mediocre?  I certainly hope not.

Instant fix to not being mediocre - go back to Horizon league and pick up 3 to 5 more wins per season.

valpo64

Bryce and Alec did not compete in the MVC either so lets not start comparing success stories based on that fact.  We are not really going to start speculating on a new contract for Coach Lottich already, are we?  We haven't even played our first game yet!  Lets go back to the to the Summit League for instant success then maybe everybody will be happy.

VUBBFan

Another entertaining Pod-Cast. The years over/under episode. Trying to make my choices, but probably always feeling overly optimistic like Todd.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1189246797992136707

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 29, 2019, 04:56:20 PM
Another entertaining Pod-Cast. The years over/under episode. Trying to make my choices, but probably always feeling overly optimistic like Todd.

I listened and tried to track the questions and responses.  I feel like Todd went on record for each over/under, but I have 4 or 5 where I don't think Paul responded.  Maybe he can clarify when he posts the over/under to the board.

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 29, 2019, 04:56:20 PM

Todd and Paul were great.

FieldGoodie05

I was under the impression the closed door scrimmage/game against UIC was to take place yesterday (10/29).  Any word on how the team faired?  I know that PO mentioned on USH that one of the players tweaked an ankle in practice but played in the scrimmage (therefore likely not a bad sprain).  Thought that was a little confusing because PO said he recorded the podcast on Monday (10/28) so the scrimmage obviously was on Monday???

Just trying to fill time before the game . . .

Pgmado

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 30, 2019, 08:33:05 AM
I was under the impression the closed door scrimmage/game against UIC was to take place yesterday (10/29).  Any word on how the team faired?  I know that PO mentioned on USH that one of the players tweaked an ankle in practice but played in the scrimmage (therefore likely not a bad sprain).  Thought that was a little confusing because PO said he recorded the podcast on Monday (10/28) so the scrimmage obviously was on Monday???

The scrimmage was on Sunday. Siggy didn't play because of an ankle. Sounds like he's good to go now. I don't know many details about Sunday and those that I do know were embargoed.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on October 30, 2019, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 30, 2019, 08:33:05 AM

The scrimmage was on Sunday. Siggy didn't play because of an ankle. Sounds like he's good to go now. I don't know many details about Sunday and those that I do know were embargoed.

Thanks Paul.

vu72

I thought it interesting that Todd thought that Loyola would struggle because of the loss of two high major guards.  As it turns out Loyola just lost to D2 Indianapolis.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/loyola-mens-basketball-drops-exhibition-opener-to-d-ii-indianapolis/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Quote from: valpolaw on October 29, 2019, 12:00:07 PM
If we have another mediocre/bottom half finish, then what would be the reason for extending ML to a short term contract?  Bryce and Alec Peters have been gone for quite some time and we haven't exactly torn it up since then.  Are we going to accept being mediocre?  I certainly hope not.

I think our Freshman/Sophomore class might really be good here in a few years.   Lottich brought them in and I want to see what he can do with them.   I will be the 1st to admit that Lottich struck out in his 1st go around at recruiting, and we all know he has had some growing pains on the offensive side of the ball.

I am looking for 3 things this year. 
1. Improved offensive flow, and more elaborate set plays out of timeouts and out of bounce. 
2. Improvement of returning players to start the year AND improvement of freshman from beginning of year to end of year.
3. A relatively healthy season.  Injuries happen, but the last few years have been bad, Lottich needs to learn when to back-off practice intensity.   

I don't think we are going to be great this year, but I think we could finish 7th place and still call this season a success if our younger players are improving and our coach's offensive game plan is improving.   If that happens and Lottich can find a quality big to add to the team next year, we would be fools not to give him a short term extension to see what he can do.     

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2019, 10:04:18 AMI thought it interesting that Todd thought that Loyola would struggle because of the loss of two high major guards.  As it turns out Loyola just lost to D2 Indianapolis. http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/loyola-mens-basketball-drops-exhibition-opener-to-d-ii-indianapolis/

That's not good for league perception. Also makes me worry that that final four run was just a flash in the pan and they're back to being mediocre.

valpo64

I said it before...I believe their Final Four  run was a flash in the pan.  They were not good their first few years in the MVC and while they received a lot of publicity after that run, namely that they were building a powerhouse Mid-Major program, that was not really the case.  They are not the face of the MVC , at least not this year.  I think that they will always be in the top tier of contending teams in the MVC because of their location.   Porter Moser is way overrated as a Coach.  The Chicago press went "ga ga" when they made their Final Four run but after all, they have not had much to cheer about when it comes to Chicago area college basketball successes in recent years.  That run put them on the map like Bryce's shot put us on the map.

valpotx

Darn, is it only on Spotify now?  I cannot support that service.  I work for SiriusXM + Pandora :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on October 31, 2019, 05:48:29 PM
Darn, is it only on Spotify now?  I cannot support that service.  I work for SiriusXM + Pandora :).

No. Apple Pods, SoundCloud, Spotify. Pretty sure it's on GooglePodcasts as well. We're worldwide!

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2019, 12:17:04 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2019, 08:20:00 AM

I'm with 72 on this.  A coaching change would also stop the recruiting momentum that's been picking up.  I really doubt a change gets made unless this season goes south in a big way.

Wouldn't this be the same reaction we had last year when we saw many of the players transfer. It was all doom and gloom until we saw that ML could bring in a bunch of good recruits with the already promising red shirt players that had been waiting in the wings. If ML is fired shouldn't we reserve judgement to see who is hired as coach and what kind of players the new coach can bring in if not the first year maybe the second or third? Let's not call the cupboard bare when we don't even know what might be in the cupboard in the next few years.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2019, 10:04:18 AM
I thought it interesting that Todd thought that Loyola would struggle because of the loss of two high major guards.  As it turns out Loyola just lost to D2 Indianapolis.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/loyola-mens-basketball-drops-exhibition-opener-to-d-ii-indianapolis/

I don't think anyone should discount the annoyingly strong UIndy Greyhounds to upset Div 1 teams. They are a very powerful D2 program.

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on October 30, 2019, 10:45:05 AMImproved offensive flow, and more elaborate set plays out of timeouts and out of bounce. 

"Out of bounce" is what happens to my deflated friends by the end of the week.  ;)