• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FWalum on February 15, 2020, 01:45:55 PM
I love how Sparks kind of danced around the question of JFL being a great defender. Yes, JFL has great anticipation, is quick and long, but he is not a great on ball defender and because of his natural tendency to anticipate the defenders reaction, often is not "in front" of his man to prevent the slash or drive to the basket. Tevonn Walker may not have had the "stats" that JFL has, but I would take him over JFL as an on ball defender who stayed in correct position and prevented the opening of that driving lane.

Happy it was breached by others first.  I hesitated saying this about a player that leaves it all on the court but it's a potential area for improvement.

GoldenCrusader87

Solid episode of USH. I appreciated the comments and perspectives by both guests.

VUGrad1314

So uh... New episode coming in advance of the Drake game? I hope so. Would love to hear your thoughts on these last two games: the defensive clinic against SIU and the comeback tonight and your thoughts on our chances to avoid Thursday\ previews of Drake and Bradley! So far we're doing everything right and the opportunity is definitely there! Maybe get Lubos Barton's perspective on the record if and when Javon breaks it. Would love an update on Lubos and what he's up to and his thoughts on the program. or maybe have Javon do an interview on it since it's such a big deal! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

VUGrad1314

Am I missing something or has it been awhile since we've had a new episode to listen to?  There's gotta be one coming up soon right?

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 02:17:52 AMAm I missing something or has it been awhile since we've had a new episode to listen to?  There's gotta be one coming up soon right?

Wasn't going to say anything and just wait it out, but Paul teased us a couple days ago he was releasing one yesterday. Didn't come, but am optimistic for later on today. The man is busy getting all this information we desire and lived for.  ;D

Pgmado

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 25, 2020, 12:05:16 PM

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 02:17:52 AMAm I missing something or has it been awhile since we've had a new episode to listen to?  There's gotta be one coming up soon right?

Wasn't going to say anything and just wait it out, but Paul teased us a couple days ago he was releasing one yesterday. Didn't come, but am optimistic for later on today. The man is busy getting all this information we desire and lived for.  ;D

Editing now. It's been tricky.

VUGrad1314

Here's the episode! Interviews from our seniors (Kiser Fazekas) and Coach Lottich! These were conducted before Senior Night with the podcast airing for the first time just before tonight's game!

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/podcast-union-street-hoops-the-senior-episode/article_058e97c4-5817-11ea-800d-f3fc1079ec9d.html

To answer your question, there is no difference between 3rd and 6th in the standings but there is a huge difference between 6th and 7th.

Your point on Javon's future is solid and well-taken. If he was going to leave he probably would have last year. You're right.

Good point on Lottich as well. If the team had quit and he had lost them they wouldn't fight and come back as well and as hard as they have this year. This team is clearly playing for him and he is getting results out of them. And you're right so much is about your perception of the team and the program.

VUGrad1314

Paul, you went to Logansport? I have family in that area. Did you eat at Mr Happy Burger or get some Bruno's Pizza? Both of those restaurants are very good if you're in the area! If I had known you were going  I would have told you in advance.

Pgmado

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 10:45:16 PM
Paul, you went to Logansport? I have family in that area. Did you eat at Mr Happy Burger or get some Bruno's Pizza? Both of those restaurants are very good if you're in the area! If I had known you were going  I would have told you in advance.

I wasn't there long enough to eat. I was coming in hot from swimming sectionals. I drove by both places and was definitely intrigued by Mr. Happy Burger. Next time!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Pgmado on February 25, 2020, 11:42:05 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 25, 2020, 10:45:16 PMPaul, you went to Logansport? I have family in that area. Did you eat at Mr Happy Burger or get some Bruno's Pizza? Both of those restaurants are very good if you're in the area! If I had known you were going  I would have told you in advance.
I wasn't there long enough to eat. I was coming in hot from swimming sectionals. I drove by both places and was definitely intrigued by Mr. Happy Burger. Next time!

Do it! Great burgers, pork burgers, tenderloins, fish sandwiches, and fries, and they always put a little bit of extra syrup in the cokes so they're just a little sweeter. :) :thumbsup:

truth219

My union apprenticeship school was in logansport. They put us in a hotel called the country view inn until it went out of business. The place was sketchy. I have fond memories of logansport and Mr happy burger. France park is cool to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

valpotx

I've said it for a few weeks, but it is good to hear someone else mention that they don't feel it likely that JFL would leave after this season.  Again, it completely changes things if the NCAA adds some BS rule that allows 1 free transfer, but if that doesn't happen, he is at least around until the end of his JR season.  I also get the feeling that Clay has a chip on his shoulder, much like Alec Peters did, in being under-recruited.  I think that the core of our team will be back next year, especially with increased success in conference this season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Your work is much appreciated.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

just catching up... listening to the Texas Eagle... you figured on a 6-2 or 8-3 seeded championship.  7-4 would have had me buying you a beer

FWalum

Thank you Paul for keeping me sane during this time of complete basketball withdrawal. This sounds like an excellent show, I will be listening on my neighborhood walk tomorrow!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

Paul:  Thanks for the interview with Jacob as we all look forward to his debut this coming year.

wh

I see a couple of flaws in Brown's contention that he should have made 1st team instead of Javon. With Fazekas out until the very end of the season combined with Valpo's relative inexperience, Javon was the primary focus of every opponent's game plan. Stop Javon, stop Valpo. That was not the case with Brown, who had the good fortune of playing with a more experienced and talented team. And, let's not forget that Javon had mono that seriously affected his stamina down the stretch. Last, but certainly not least, for the season Brown shot 36%, Javon 44%. Case closed.

valpotx

Brown was not first team, regardless of being tournament MVP.  Your shot % comment is the biggest reason why. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

I was doing some database work on Union Street Hoops, trying to figure out how many episodes I've done since the first on Nov. 5, 2016.

There have been 114 episodes of USH. Parker Gatewood has co-hosted the most while Robbie Weinstein and Karl Berner have assisted along the way. There have been 84 guests on the show over the years, with Todd Ickow (7), Mark LaBarbera (6), Matt Lottich (5) and Mark Adams/Alec Peters (4) leading the way.

Throw out some names of guests you'd love to have on the show in the future?

valpotx

I don't remember if it already happened, but Phil Wille to talk about his punch!

How about Raitis Grafs and Kikas Gomes?  Ali Berdiel?  If you can track him down, Tony Falu? lol :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

My personal favorite Vilcinskas.

Somebody from the Rochlitz era like Mo Smith.

Someone from the Smith era like Jim Steuve.

tiny707

PLEASE get Harry Bell on. I think he played from 1984-1988. Would be great to get someone from that era. Not sure if you ever have? I think he played in Hungary and may still live there?

bbtds

John Wolfenburg

Darryl Ashby

Max Kipfer

Pete Schmelzer