• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaner

Quote from: Pgmado on April 17, 2020, 12:34:02 AM
I was doing some database work on Union Street Hoops, trying to figure out how many episodes I've done since the first on Nov. 5, 2016.

There have been 114 episodes of USH. Parker Gatewood has co-hosted the most while Robbie Weinstein and Karl Berner have assisted along the way. There have been 84 guests on the show over the years, with Todd Ickow (7), Mark LaBarbera (6), Matt Lottich (5) and Mark Adams/Alec Peters (4) leading the way.

Throw out some names of guests you'd love to have on the show in the future?

Tracy Gibson & Curtis Stevens

wh

I would love to hear Commissioner Doug Elgin's thoughts about the social and economic impact the Coronavirus pandemic could have on the future of college athletics, especially our flagship sport, and more specifically on how the "new normal" may impact Missouri Valley Conference program budgets, attendance, NCAA tournament revenue sharing, scheduling philosophy, etc., etc.

VUGrad1314

And expansion prospects. Don't forget expansion prospects. (Still want Murray and or Belmont in the MVC)

4throwfan

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2020, 03:50:46 PM
I would love to hear Commissioner Doug Elgin's thoughts about the social and economic impact the Coronavirus pandemic could have on the future of college athletics, especially our flagship sport, and more specifically on how the "new normal" may impact Missouri Valley Conference program budgets, attendance, NCAA tournament revenue sharing, scheduling philosophy, etc., etc.

Could not agree with WH's request more.  I would simply add, that in discussions on the same topic, might be helpful to have someone from VU athletics, even if they have been on the show before.  I'm sure that, at this point, discussions on 20/21 sports is very speculative, and I think we understand that, but would still be nice to hear perspective.

As for past players, I think it might be interesting to hear from Ben Boggs, as he was part of a couple of different eras in different roles.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on April 17, 2020, 10:21:45 AM
John Wolfenburg

Darryl Ashby

Max Kipfer

Pete Schmelzer

Did a little research.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/state-champs-remain-larger-than-life/article_d912968f-1a98-505f-b416-27b5d1fa0f3e.html

This story on the South Bend Adams Eagles run to the state championship game in 1973 where they lost to New Albany happens to mention that in 2016 Ashby still lived in South Bend.

Austin remains the most tangible link to the old days as a 30-year high school head coach at South Bend St. Joseph, Richmond, Northridge, Edwardsburg (Michigan) and the last six years at Concord. Robinson and Ashby are around the South Bend area, but other team members have gone their separate ways.

John Wolfenburg is a retired school administrator in the Milwaukee area

http://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/hofmembers/HoFInductees/9798/john-wolfenberg/

https://www.facebook.com/john.wolfenberg

Max Kipfer is most likely in Northern Virginia

http://www.bbpmag.com/2010s/10bio/Kipfer-max-10.php

Pete Schmelzer seems to be an Osteopathic doctor in suburban Chicago

https://www.linkedin.com/in/pete-schmelzer-8346046

M

Mousse Mbaye, Vashil Fernandez, the old lady and her husband who sit in the back row of the lower bowl bleacher seats and do all the motions to the fight song.

EddieCabot

Latest episode with Howard Little is very good.  Provides a bunch of inside details, especially into the 2010-2011 season.  That team had so much talent, with Wood, Johnson, Broekhoff and Van Wijk.  It's shame they faced so much adversity at the end of the season.  They had the talent to make a run in the tourney had they gotten there.

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 22, 2020, 09:19:15 PM
Latest episode with Howard Little is very good.  Provides a bunch of inside details, especially into the 2010-2011 season.  That team had so much talent, with Wood, Johnson, Broekhoff and Van Wijk.  It's shame they faced so much adversity at the end of the season.  They had the talent to make a run in the tourney had they gotten there.

Really impressed by the reaction to Paul's last podcast.  Awesome that everyone loved it as much as I did.

New pod posted today.  Haven't listened yet, but guests are Brandon Wood and Bakari.  As always, lucky that Paul is such great buddies with the players and able to get them back for his podcasts.  #blessed

NativeCheesehead

I'm sure the latest USH is Paul's usual top notch work. We're lucky to have him covering the team. But I have no desire to listen to former players talk about why they left.

valpotx

Good episode with Howard Little.  I had completely forgotten about Beas Hamga!  Interesting enough, the below article referenced Mark Adams as an advisor to Beas.  Is this the same Mark Adams that announces some of our games, and is a huge proponent of Valpo?

https://www.zagsblog.com/2009/01/10/beas-hamga-to-valparaiso/
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on May 01, 2020, 04:38:15 AM
Good episode with Howard Little.  I had completely forgotten about Beas Hamga!  Interesting enough, the below article referenced Mark Adams as an advisor to Beas.  Is this the same Mark Adams that announces some of our games, and is a huge proponent of Valpo?

https://www.zagsblog.com/2009/01/10/beas-hamga-to-valparaiso/

This is a different Mark Adams.  He runs the Indiana Elite AAU program and the A-HOPE foundation that helps bring young players to the US (primarily from Africa).  As you can see from the article linked below, some people question his methods and motives.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6587668

IndyValpo

Interesting towards the end Paul asks Bakari about the future and he mentions waiting for NBA draft before deciding his next move!

bbtds

Quote from: truth219 on February 26, 2020, 01:11:31 AM
My union apprenticeship school was in logansport. They put us in a hotel called the country view inn until it went out of business. The place was sketchy. I have fond memories of logansport and Mr happy burger. France park is cool to

I'm sure Logansport would love to have any kind of recommendation now. The publicity they have now during the pandemic is going to hurt them for a while.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: truth219 on February 26, 2020, 01:11:31 AMMy union apprenticeship school was in logansport. They put us in a hotel called the country view inn until it went out of business. The place was sketchy. I have fond memories of logansport and Mr happy burger. France park is cool to Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I know it well. Right there on the road between Logansport and my grandparents' hometown of Royal Center if I'm not mistaken. This could just be childhood memories and nostalgia talking but Mr. Happy Burger serves some of the best burgers tenderloins and coca cola (with extra syrup) I've ever had in my life. Moreover, you'll be hard pressed to meet a nicer man than the owner. If my memory serves France Park is right by the river and is the park with the Carousel that I used to ride when I would visit my grandparents every Summer. That was always a great time with many happy memories. Bruno's Pizza (a little place near downtown that only does carry out orders) is good too for pizza and strombolis. Used to eat there a few times a year whenever I would be down there for a visit. It's very sad to see that the town has fallen on hard times recently with the decline of local industry and such and has now attracted this terrible publicity during the pandemic.

wh

Really enjoyed Paul's "inside baseball" description of how he scooped the Goodnews story, teased it, and went public with it. And, who benefits from his effort? We all do.

VUGrad1314

While I'm in the mood of praising people within and close to the Valpo program let me also add that we have a top-notch beat writer as well who consistently does great work for us during the season as well as in the offseason. Thank you very much for everything you do Paul!

EddieCabot

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 28, 2020, 09:02:50 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on April 22, 2020, 09:19:15 PM

Really impressed by the reaction to Paul's last podcast.  Awesome that everyone loved it as much as I did.

New pod posted today.  Haven't listened yet, but guests are Brandon Wood and Bakari.  As always, lucky that Paul is such great buddies with the players and able to get them back for his podcasts.  #blessed

The latest USH features an interview with Vashil, one of the most popular Valpo players ever.  Great episode, as always.

valpotx

Awesome to hear from Vashil.  Since he is now a businessman, like the rest of us, I just sent him a LinkedIn invite to see if my network can assist his future endeavors :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

A new USH with Coach Lottich!

Some very interesting nuggets in here. Especially talking about the roster this year.

An optimistic podcast.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1308151244264017921?s=21

VUGrad1314

I really hope this is the year we truly announce that we belong in the MVC. I think we can do it. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

vu72

I really enjoyed hearing about the players.  Very interesting that Emil has gained 25 lbs, presumably of muscle!  Another big man project that might just work out extremely well.  Also glad to have it confirmed that Jacob shoots the 3 as well as his high school stats (nearly 50%). Can't wait to see the guys in action.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 22, 2020, 10:53:40 PM
I really hope this is the year we truly announce that we belong in the MVC. I think we can do it. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

You might be thinking of Evansville, not Valpo.  Evansville basketball teams were a combined 0-36 last year. Valpo was 18-18.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

We need to stop being a Thursday team and start contending for\winning titles before we finally win respect from our new peers in my mind. As I said hopefully that starts this year.

VALPO LI

I personally feel Valpo got more respect last year being a Thursday team heading to the finals for a shot at the title over the one and done 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th seeded teams.
Shine on Vu

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on September 21, 2020, 10:38:52 PM
A new USH with Coach Lottich!

Some very interesting nuggets in here. Especially talking about the roster this year.

An optimistic podcast.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1308151244264017921?s=21

Listening to this, I felt like someone walking aimlessly through the desert in total delirium, and unexpectedly stumbled onto a life-saving water hole. I was drinking in every word, even bathing in it. Outstanding interview!