• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 17, 2017, 10:56:51 PM
It happens in a millennial world that you can be in good standing while being convicted.

And here I thought pre-trial detention was a long-standing American tradition.

JPEven

Quote from: agibson on January 17, 2017, 11:00:14 PMAnd here I thought pre-trial detention was a long-standing American tradition.

If you catch the right war or right federal agency, it's still possible get no-trial detention!

JPEven

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 03:34:22 PMuh... so i was just on twitter and typed in paul's twitter handle in the search bar and this came up...

This is my chance at internet fame!  Er, uh, social justice!

JPEven

Quote from: JPEven on January 17, 2017, 02:02:43 PMLet Jubril Play  Untitled.png (121.77 kB, 190x254 - viewed 13 times.)

I have a high res version of this if anyone wants it for publication... couldn't figure out how to get a big file attached here....

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on January 17, 2017, 03:34:22 PM
uh... so i was just on twitter and typed in paul's twitter handle in the search bar and this came up...

https://twitter.com/flinton_william/status/821451624979828736

some created a #LetJubrilPlay account and tweeted that meme at ML, Coach Lottich, Jubril and Alec lol

[tweet]821722586602151937[/tweet]

Vashil was left out of the initial tweet blast. Will be interesting to see if he picks up on it.

VU2624

Quote from: agibson on January 17, 2017, 10:20:36 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on January 17, 2017, 10:14:25 PMthere was no info provided by the NCAA, school or player. He just showed up in uniform ready to play at some point.
Is the tradition with the NCAA that when there are penalties, at least, there is some public explanation?

Not in the case I referenced.

M

You're right agibson...I removed my previous post.

JPEven

#LetJubrilPlay is growing on twitter.  Pick the meme up and share

Valpo88

I have heard through the grapevine that the NCAA is involved and that is what the hold up is.

Dave_2010

This stinks of a CYA in light of everything going on in Chapel Hill. We know how much the NCAA loves to take out its anger toward big schools like Carolina by bringing down the hammer on time programs like us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPEven

Quote from: Dave_2010 on January 18, 2017, 03:46:38 PMbringing down the hammer on time programs like us.

The Valpo death penalty!

valpo84

As Jerry Tarkanian once said: "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: Valpo88 on January 18, 2017, 03:41:28 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that the NCAA is involved and that is what the hold up is.

If true, this changes everything - for the worse. Not to sound like an alarmist, but not only might Jubril not return, we may be talking about vacating wins and suffering huge damage to the program's image.

Look what ND went through in an eerily similar situation:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/11/23/notre-dame-appeals-ncaa-sanctions-over-academic-misconduct

agibson

Good link. 

I think the NCAA possibility was always part of the rumor mill, but increasing in prominence as the process dragged on.

The case seems even more similar to the Notre Dame case than to the East Carolina case (but student manager, allegedly, instead of trainer or tutor). And Notre Dame is appealing.

I wonder to what extent their "vacating wins" penalty hinged on the students being retroactively ineligible. As we've discussed, even a couple of F's might not make a rising senior ineligible. (I don't know what measures Valpo itself, outside the honor code, could take...) And I don't known how much it changes for a graduating student who continued to play as a grad student.

A fine and probation seem fairly reasonable.

Complicated, interesting, a little scary.

What does vacating wins actually mean? I suppose official NCAA and probably conference records get changed? Perhaps a school could decide what to do with its own internal records. I suppose of it all got resolved mid-season it could affect tournament seeding and post-season possibilities (could make you thankful for "four games in Detroit"?).

And, obviously, a considerable stain on reputation.

In the silver (zinc?) lining department, for these cases with penalties it seems that details did eventually come out.

FWalum

Could it be that VU has exonerated Jubril in this issue?  That would make the most sense now that VU has made this statement:
Quote"Valparaiso University student athlete Jubril Adekoya has been sitting out games since Dec. 10, 2016, due to an academic matter. Adekoya continues to be a student in good standing at Valparaiso and a member of the basketball team."
To me their sudden breaking of the "cone of silence" (Get Smart reference shows how old I am) might indicate that they are waiting for the NCAA to respond and perhaps expected a response at the beginning of the second semester.  This VU statement could be interpreted as an "in your face" to the NCAA and makes sense of the Peters' and Adekoya's tweets not seeming to know what the problem is with the NCAA if the university has determined that "Adekoya continues to be a student in good standing at Valparaiso and a member of the basketball team."

I have now joined the ranks of the speculators, but to me this answers seems to make the most sense now that VU has made a public statement that would make them look really silly if they had to backtrack and say at some later date that Jubril was guilty.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Interesting. Could be.

But I think you -can- be a student in good standing while under investigation. Complaints, very possibly legitimate ones, about the honor council aside you are innocent until proven/decided guilty.

And you could be made to sit out, cautiously trying to avoid the wrath of the NCAA, if your university decides "not guilty", or is still investigating.

Im hoping for FW's version, of course, and a speedy acquittal and restoration to the court.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on January 19, 2017, 09:13:11 AMAnd you could be made to sit out, cautiously trying to avoid the wrath of the NCAA, if your university decides "not guilty", or is still investigating.
Agreed, I believe this is what the crux of the matter might be and that VU is being cautious. 

I was helped in coming to my conclusion by VU's use of the word "continues" in the statement, meaning to persist in an activity or process / to recommence or resume after interruption, rather than the words "is currently" which would indicate that something might still be coming in the future.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Smj

I really thought the twitter chatter the other day was going to come to something....   guess not.

It just seems like something the team would comment on and I would think that some of the bigger sports reporters would be asking now that Alec got national recognition for overtaking Bryce's records.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

wh

Our bigs are starting to dominate play in the low post at both ends. IMO we're playing as well as a team as we did at any point last year. If Jubril comes back, we will be even better.

valpolaw

Can anyone confirm whether Jubril is still practicing with the team?  I figured he is but don't recall if that was ever confirmed. 

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpolaw on January 24, 2017, 08:40:36 AM
Can anyone confirm whether Jubril is still practicing with the team?  I figured he is but don't recall if that was ever confirmed. 
He has been credited for making the bigs better, so that would imply he is practicing with them.
Beamin' Beacons

Valpo89

As frustrating as this situation has been, with the lack of actual news or acknowledgment of what has caused this situation, it could all end up being the proverbial blessing in disguise.

Why? Smits and Sorolla no longer have the "deer in headlights" look as they did against Oregon. They are solid and I don't cringe when they try to do anything.

AND, Jubril is certainly going to be well-rested when/if he is allowed to play in games again.

wh

Jubril last played in the Kentucky game on December 5th. He has missed the last 11 games, over a third of the season. The university issued a statement that he is a student in good standing, yet he continues to sit. Our consensus thought is that the NCAA is holding this up, but none of us knows for sure.

This situation has gone from strange to bizarre. Cheating is a serious offense, especially if it were found to be systemic within an athletic program. I can only guess that the NCAA is trying to make that determination, because the amount of time that has passed is otherwise ridiculous, even by the NCAA's lazy, indifferent time standards.

If only he had punched out his girlfriend, or had a "consensual" 3-some on a road trip, or gotten drunk and led cops on a high speed chase, or was in illegal possession of a loaded firearm, or got caught shoplifting, he would have been back long ago. But, of course, in those incidents the perpetrator is also perceived as a victim worthy of a second chance (sometimes more) after a slap on the wrist. I'm not arguing against it. I'm just wondering where cheating fits in here, and why it apparently is a much worse offense.

Smj

Glad to get some responses on this thread.   I just think that a couple games you can leave everyone in the dark.   However, this long and it might be time for someone to make some noise.

Before I thought maybe Jubril wanted to keep it quiet but his recent (deleted) tweet makes that assumption flat out wrong.   At a third of the season it is time to make an announcement.

Reporters should be pushing now....   (again - I think Jubril wants it pushed or he would not have tweeted.)  Also - I rarely do this but I just researched suspensions and this is quite long when reviewing other infractions...

I think about the attention teams get when they band together for a player.   Even if he did something wrong he deserves to know the penalty and again the recent tweet sounded like he does not know and other players did not know.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

crusader05

I think the reason Cheating gets such a strong response is because it undermines the the "Student-Athlete" shield that big universities and the NCAA like to use whenever issues payment, insurance, or other excessive requirements of these athletes come up. How can you claim they are students first and are there to get a quality education if your university/athletic programs are looking away/allowing cheating.

It blows a hole in the door that the bigger schools aren't all about money and prestige and we can't have that. Not saying Valpo did any of those things, it seems to be a case of students/friends making a dumb mistake from all I can tell. But, it's about protecting the bottom line at all cost.