• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpolaw

Does anyone recall a suspension of anyone else at another school where there was absolutely no announcement made regarding what happened and how long the player would be out?  I know Sindarius Thornwell was suspended earlier this season at South Carolina and I don't think they said how long or why but it was leaked that it was for marijuana and then he returned after a short suspension.  Jubril's situation is so strange because it seems even Jubril and Alec don't understand it by their tweets.  I can still only assume he will be back at some point this year but the longer it drags on the stranger it gets.     

agibson

I don't know how much of this story was public as it unfolded:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18522157/allonzo-trier-arizona-ruled-eligible-return-drug-test-comes-negative

A student athlete at Arizona informed in early October that he was suspended for a failed drug test. Something on the banned drug list, maybe some kind of pharmaceutical, not sure if performance enhancing or not.

He appealed "family friend gave it to me when I was recovering from car accident injuries, no one with the team, I didn't know what it was". The NCAA agreed with his story, but said all of the substance had to be gone from his bloodstream before he could play.

He was allowed to practice (and travel - but that may be an issue of team policy for non-players) with the team.

But, he sat out half the season. Maybe waiting on the appeal, not sure when that came through, then waiting for his body to eliminate all detectable amounts of the substance.

He's just preparing now to make his season debut.

Obviously these details are different than the Jubril rumors. But, there are certain similarities.

One assumes that we're not waiting on a designated, very long, Jubril suspension. But rather that we're waiting on some investigative or judicial or apellate body (NCAA? University?). And that Jubril's being held out in the mean time. Perhaps to avoid forfeiting games if he were to be ruled retroactively ineligible.

But it sure would be easier to swallow with some transparency. I dearly hope that Jubril, his family, and the team understand what's going on, and the timeline. Even if they don't like it, agree with it, or fundamentally "understand" it. Less than that would seem like a real disservice.

It's harder to say what anyone "owes" fans or alumni or similar such constituencies. Maybe somebody with the AD's ear could learn something. Maybe any fan could, if they asked directly. It seems clear that the team's decided not to say much publicly to the media - but they should of course keep asking. And presumably they continue their reporting (do you ask family members? Makes you wonder where the line is).

I think some fan advocacy could certainly be warranted, or at least seen as a kind of support for a player and team who maybe (we don't really know, without details that aren't being provided) are being treated very unfairly.

#LetJubrilPlay

FWalum

I also, along with many of you, thought that something would happen after VU's announcement and the short lived social media exposure.  Why issue a STATEMENT in this situation unless you are trying to make one that counts!  It certainly seemed as if VU was applying some kind of pressure towards a decision that seemed to be out of their hands.  As I said in an earlier post, the use of the word "continues" indicated that there was a resumption after some sort of interruption. So let him resume already!!!

I know that Jubril is in a masters program so maybe this is an inaccurate assumption, but I would have thought he would seek a basketball playing career at some level after his playing days at VU were over and this suspension certainly is not helping him get the exposure he might need to pursue that endeavor.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpolaw on January 25, 2017, 08:42:52 AM
Does anyone recall a suspension of anyone else at another school where there was absolutely no announcement made regarding what happened and how long the player would be out?  I know Sindarius Thornwell was suspended earlier this season at South Carolina and I don't think they said how long or why but it was leaked that it was for marijuana and then he returned after a short suspension.  Jubril's situation is so strange because it seems even Jubril and Alec don't understand it by their tweets.  I can still only assume he will be back at some point this year but the longer it drags on the stranger it gets.     

Did anyone post what Alec said on twitter?  I think most of us only day Jubrils tweets because he doesn't protect them like Alec does.

agibson

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 25, 2017, 11:39:22 AM

Did anyone post what Alec said on twitter?  I think most of us only day Jubrils tweets because he doesn't protect them like Alec does.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2718.msg78325#msg78325

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on January 25, 2017, 11:32:09 AMand the short lived social media exposure.

Keep it going! Has it been circulating on facebook?

I made small efforts at a revival on twitter during the last game. But, the VUMBB fan twitter game was soft, generally, for that game. Too many football fans, perhaps.

VU2624

Quote from: valpolaw on January 25, 2017, 08:42:52 AMDoes anyone recall a suspension of anyone else at another school where there was absolutely no announcement made regarding what happened and how long the player would be out?  I know Sindarius Thornwell was suspended earlier this season at South Carolina and I don't think they said how long or why but it was leaked that it was for marijuana and then he returned after a short suspension.  Jubril's situation is so strange because it seems even Jubril and Alec don't understand it by their tweets.  I can still only assume he will be back at some point this year but the longer it drags on the stranger it gets.

Chris Walker's suspension at Florida was similar. He ended up missing 12 games but while he was sitting out there was no comment on the reason or how long from any of the parties involved. The only difference I can recall was that the school acknowledged that the NCAA was making the eligibility ruling. None of the facts of why he was suspended were made public. Gator fans thought it was academics related while it was ongoing.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24423980/florida-freshman-chris-walker-cleared-by-ncaa

agibson

That link doesn't work for me.

But, this ESPN piece
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10371527/chris-walker-florida-gators-cleared-play-ncaa
Says that the NCAA eventually released a statement with findings in the Florida case.

His college debut was delayed, apparently because of amateurism issues related to impermissible payments during his recruitment.

wh

Let's see, cheating on a paper is an 11-game suspension and counting. What should the proper penalty be for witnessing the rape of a 16-year-old girl in your dorm and not stopping it or reporting it?  Not starting the next game?  Maybe a 1 game suspension?  The old Rob Jeter no suspension, just counseling (punitive bad/positive reinforcement good)?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-eight-most-impressive-first-year-coaches-in-college-basketball-this-season/

Five Kansas players interviewed as witnesses after alleged rape in basketball dorm
By Chip Patterson 2h ago • 1 min read
An investigation into the alleged rape of a 16-year old girl at Kansas was addressed by coach Bill Self heading into Saturday's clash with Kentucky in the Big 12-SEC Challenge.
According to the Kansas City Star, university police have been investigating the reported rape, which took place between Dec. 17 and Dec. 18 at McCarthy Hall, which houses the men's basketball team. The police report, obtained by the Star, listed five players as witnesses: Frank Mason III, Mitch Lightfoot, Lagerald Vick, Tucker Vang and Josh Jackson. Police have not filed charges nor released information about potential suspects, citing the ongoing investigation.
The athletic department has been cooperating with investigators and Self said "if there was an issue" with any individual player "they wouldn't be playing."
"There's an alleged incident that took place there and the people were listed that are potential witnesses in some way, and that could be a plethora of ways...what a witness potentially could be," Self said Thursday on the Big 12 coaches call. "That's all we know at this point and certainly it's not going to minimize it at all because it's such a serious potential allegation that took place in McCarthy Hall, but I'm also not going to draw something from it that in no way, shape or form have we been told that is there right now."
Still even with no personnel issues going into Saturday's game at Kentucky, Self acknowledged the investigation has been a distraction for the team.
"It certainly is a distraction without question," Self said. "The Kentucky game is a big game. It's probably as big a game for fans as it is for players, but certainly players. It's a game that you circle and you look forward to playing whenever the season begins and whenever we start practicing.
"Sure, it's a distraction, I mean how could it not be? But it's not a distraction from our guys' standpoint from a film standpoint. It's a distraction because you have to hear about it and go through it."

M

Those poor players having to hear about it and go through it....smh... >:( >:(

wh

And, what's the 1 concern important enough for Self to mention - how 6 of his players who got their rocks off watching the rape of a helpless young girl is negatively affecting their game prep for Kentucky.  This takes "Self"-victimization to a whole new level.

vu84v2

Please note that the article does not say that they actually witnessed or even knew it was happening. 'Witness" is a generic term that could include seeing the accused person or victim enter or exit the building. I agree that if players actually witnessed or knew of the event (and took no action), that there should be penalties - but that is not mentioned in the article (or any related articles).

Bill Self threw a starter off the team several years ago for doing something that was legal, but exhibited highly poor judgement and behavior (it is really seedy, so I won't describe it here). Players have been suspended for five or six games for not respecting a police officer. I would say that Self has a pretty good track record of penalizing poor behavior.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2017, 03:19:06 PM
And, what's the 1 concern important enough for Self to mention - how 6 of his players who got their rocks off watching the rape of a helpless young girl is negatively affecting their game prep for Kentucky.  This takes "Self"-victimization to a whole new level.

wh - This is an extremely rude comment in which none of the information presented supports your offensive conclusion. I would call on the board administrator to delete this rude comment from wh.

a3uge

After the Duke Lacrosse case, I'm going to withhold my judgement...

usc4valpo

And you never know if Nancy Grace is checking out our message board !

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 06:50:34 PM
Quote from: wh on January 26, 2017, 03:19:06 PM

wh - This is an extremely rude comment in which none of the information presented supports your offensive conclusion. I would call on the board administrator to delete this rude comment from wh.

Here's (1) vote that's not the least offended.

VU2624

Quote from: agibson on January 25, 2017, 03:35:14 PMThat link doesn't work for me. But, this ESPN piece http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10371527/chris-walker-florida-gators-cleared-play-ncaa Says that the NCAA eventually released a statement with findings in the Florida case. His college debut was delayed, apparently because of amateurism issues related to impermissible payments during his recruitment.

Correct but during the suspension there were a lot of comments from Gator fans which are basically the same comments being posted on this board regarding Jubril.

vu84v2

Bill Self just suspended Carlton Bragg indefinitely for an issue not related to the McCarthy Hall incident. As I mentioned before, Self will take action against players when the facts and evidence support it.

There are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.  I encourage the parties at be, whether they are the university or the NCAA, to investigate this as fast as possible - but I doubt that the basketball program is making poor judgements.

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThere are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.

To be clear, for me #LetJubrilPlay is the catchy slogan. The message is "Respect the parties involved, and finish this expeditiously."

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PM
Bill Self just suspended Carlton Bragg indefinitely for an issue not related to the McCarthy Hall incident. As I mentioned before, Self will take action against players when the facts and evidence support it.

There are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.  I encourage the parties at be, whether they are the university or the NCAA, to investigate this as fast as possible - but I doubt that the basketball program is making poor judgements.

Would you please stop trying to lecture everyone and just go to bed or something. People are entitled to their own opinions about the Jubril situation, the Kansas situation, or anything else discussed on the board. If people want to say "free Jubril" and express frustration about the situation, they have a perfect right to do exactly that - without someone on a high horse telling them it's wrong to prejudge. The truth is that it is perfectly logical that the more time that passes the more frustration that will be expressed, especially given the reputation of both the VU Honor Council and the NCAA of slow-playing investigations. If you want to wait until all the facts are in and put your faith in "the system," go for it. But for gods sakes stop with the obnoxious moral criticism of people you disagree with.

vu84v2

I guess that I am not entitled to offer my opinions with my own supporting arguments if they disagree with you or calls out your vulgar arguments (please refer to your post of 3:19 PM yesterday) that are based on inappropriate and offensive extrapolations.

JPEven

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThere are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.  I encourage the parties at be, whether they are the university or the NCAA, to investigate this as fast as possible - but I doubt that the basketball program is making poor judgements

As one of the promulgators of the #LetJubrilPlay movement, I would say I also trust the basketball program...  I don't trust the NCAA, or, necessarily, the university to go to bat for the kid...   I am especially suspicious of an organization that has strict amateurism standards when it comes to not paying players, but treats them basically like convicted adults while taking it's time figuring out their futures.  Even in issues that might not involve a moral laps, should it take months for guys like Vashil and Carter to hear back from the group on what they get to do with the next year of their lives?

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 27, 2017, 05:45:39 AM
I guess that I am not entitled to offer my opinions with my own supporting arguments if they disagree with you or calls out your vulgar arguments (please refer to your post of 3:19 PM yesterday) that are based on inappropriate and offensive extrapolations.

Are you referring to the post where you pleaded (insert whiny voice here) "Mr. Moderator (sorry for the sexist honorific)! Mr. Moderator! Bad! Bad! Censure! Censure!"  That post? lol

From the great Tom Petty, some liberating, possibly life changing, advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pxLRAo4os

Enjoy your day! :)

vu84v2

wh - So what are you claiming that the five players at Kansas were actually doing in that post? (I strongly doubt that you have the guts and character to address that question) You just made a rude and vulgar statement about what these five players did with no justification. Of course you never let facts or published information get in the way.

valpolaw

Can we get back to the Jubril issue at hand here.......and could someone please make my Friday better by leaking that Jubril will be playing tonight?   :)