• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

:popcorn:

We're getting a little far from Jubril, and this is a little less friendly than we usually are around these parts. But maybe it's in the bounds of reasonable discussion? Some mockery, some allegations, maybe the occasional violation of the second commandment (I almost typed 2nd amendment! Let's not even get started. And maybe it was OK because he said g-d [sic] with a lowercase g.).

vu84v2

Quote from: JPEven on January 27, 2017, 06:44:32 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThere are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.  I encourage the parties at be, whether they are the university or the NCAA, to investigate this as fast as possible - but I doubt that the basketball program is making poor judgements

As one of the promulgators of the #LetJubrilPlay movement, I would say I also trust the basketball program...  I don't trust the NCAA, or, necessarily, the university to go to bat for the kid...   I am especially suspicious of an organization that has strict amateurism standards when it comes to not paying players, but treats them basically like convicted adults while taking it's time figuring out their futures.  Even in issues that might not involve a moral laps, should it take months for guys like Vashil and Carter to hear back from the group on what they get to do with the next year of their lives?

Some excellent points. No one has ever accused the NCAA of being expeditious.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: JPEven on January 27, 2017, 06:44:32 AM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThere are many people who say "let Jubril play". They don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.  I encourage the parties at be, whether they are the university or the NCAA, to investigate this as fast as possible - but I doubt that the basketball program is making poor judgements

As one of the promulgators of the #LetJubrilPlay movement, I would say I also trust the basketball program...  I don't trust the NCAA, or, necessarily, the university to go to bat for the kid...   I am especially suspicious of an organization that has strict amateurism standards when it comes to not paying players, but treats them basically like convicted adults while taking it's time figuring out their futures.  Even in issues that might not involve a moral laps, should it take months for guys like Vashil and Carter to hear back from the group on what they get to do with the next year of their lives?

I agree with your statements.  Who is holding the University and NCAA accountable for a timely and quality review? 

Although this is a good lesson on life for Jubril, little to nothing in life is fair.  This is painfully demonstrated in congress where they continue to vote themselves benefits.  Here in IL I still firmly believe Blago thinks he did nothing wrong 😳

Where are the checks and balances for the mighty who are meant to judge the lay person!?!?

Jubril is likely to have done something wrong (based on rumors only) so he has a role in this, but is this indiscretion so great that he misses nearly 1/3 of his athletic year?  I keep trying to tell myself it's only been 6-weeks, but we have to consider that college seasons are fleeting and I'm starting to feel bad for what originally was a victimless "crime?" (his cheating).

I was severely disappointed in Jubril, but here we are, 1/3 of his season taken from him.  I've transitioned to strongly questioning the effectiveness of the bulky NCAA.  Could this ALL have been trusted to the HL Conference as an agent of the NCAA?

Is this not a great lesson for the NCAA.  Operate this more as States (conferences) working within the Federal system (US Fed) and we have a decision already.  Harsh or other...

VUOR63

Didn't the NCAA essentially give Valpo and Keith Carter the middle finger over the summer?  You would think they owe us on this Jubril matter.

usc4valpo

God Bless Jerry Tarkanian - he was always correct about the corruption of the NCAA. I am still peeved about the USC probation where the punishment was far worse than the crime.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 27, 2017, 10:19:47 AM
God Bless Jerry Tarkanian - he was always correct about the corruption of the NCAA. I am still peeved about the USC probation where the punishment was far worse than the crime.
Do you think Brian Bosworth can sell some of his t-shirts on campus?

usc4valpo

the 30 for 30 on the Boz was excellent and he has turned his life around for the better. We need Ed O'Bannon inthe conversation too.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThey don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.

This is my first comment on the Jubril situation since it started and I totally agree with this comment above. How can any of you make any judgments at all on this situation when you know nothing of the facts or evidence? The only thing any one could possibly make a legitimate comment on is the length of time it is taking to come to a conclusion and fans being left in the dark.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on January 27, 2017, 12:04:44 PMThe only thing any one could possibly make a legitimate comment on is the length of time it is taking to come to a conclusion and fans being left in the dark.

We have a couple of other hints. It seems maybe not to be an honor council matter. Maybe not even a university matter. We've had hints that team members, even one of the named individuals, are confused by, or uncertain of, the situation. We've had hints that the team may not entirely understand the process, or at least the timeline.

So, a lot of that doesn't smell good.

But, absolutely, we should remember that there may be individuals or groups here that are guilty of some offense. And we should remember that even criminals deserve due process. Including, I should think, something like a speedy trial.

#LetJubrilPlay

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on January 27, 2017, 12:04:44 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on January 26, 2017, 09:36:16 PMThey don't know the facts and evidence, and nor do I.

This is my first comment on the Jubril situation since it started and I totally agree with this comment above. How can any of you make any judgments at all on this situation when you know nothing of the facts or evidence? The only thing any one could possibly make a legitimate comment on is the length of time it is taking to come to a conclusion and fans being left in the dark.

If we were NCAA Investigators your statement would hold water.  But since we are not directly responsible for the decision on his eligibility, academic or otherwise, forgive us for entertaining thoughts and OPINIONS.  Of which, both of you scolding this Forum is that right to an opinion.  It's respected, but I will keep looking for insight and entertainment.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 27, 2017, 12:04:44 PM

If you don't know the facts surrounding the issue either you have been out of the country for a month or you don't believe chef. He has confirmed the original information provided by Valpofan1000 as follows:

uote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 16, 2016, 08:31:43 PM
Basketball manager caught stealing from baseball team, kicked off of team, comes back later and asks lottich for a letter of recommendation, lottich says no, basketball manager begins to black mail jubril and max because he did some of their work, lottich questions max and jubril. Jubril admits, max does not.

you can't be any closer to the team without being a coach or player.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2017, 01:40:39 PMIf you don't know the facts surrounding the issue either you have been out of the country for a month or you don't believe chef.

I'm not trying to disparage him but chef has been incredibly wrong about statements on this board before. That is why I think it is so important not to jump to any conclusions at all about this situation. It could be that the information given to chef does not include all the facts. None of us know for sure. Everybody on this board seems to be guessing way too much. And we may never know the true facts for the reason that it is probably best for Jubril's sake that the situation would be mostly forgotten when it is concluded.

How does anyone here have any proof this statement is true?

QuoteBasketball manager caught stealing from baseball team, kicked off of team, comes back later and asks lottich for a letter of recommendation, lottich says no, basketball manager begins to black mail jubril and max because he did some of their work, lottich questions max and jubril. Jubril admits, max does not.

M

VU2014

QuoteWhere is ValpoDad when we need him?!

I've also been wondering where the heck ValpoDad has been this season

VU2624

Quote from: M on January 27, 2017, 02:19:58 PMWhere is ValpoDad when we need him?!

Shoveling the dirt for the new ARC?

VU2624

One issue which I've thought of over the last few days is what the NCAA might be investigating. Student managers (I think the rumor in this case) are not permitted to provide "extra benefits" to athletes. What the definition of "extra benefits" is may be open to interpretation. I would think the academics issue would be solved fairly quickly in terms of the NCAA...they are likely to go by what the school reports. However a potential violation of NCAA rules? That can and has taken a lot of time in other situations.

Unfortunately, this could be a situation in which I tell people. If you want justice to move fast, then don't get involved with the justice system because it absolutely doesn't. Same thing with the NCAA.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2624 on January 27, 2017, 04:25:40 PM
One issue which I've thought of over the last few days is what the NCAA might be investigating. Student managers (I think the rumor in this case) are not permitted to provide "extra benefits" to athletes. What the definition of "extra benefits" is may be open to interpretation. I would think the academics issue would be solved fairly quickly in terms of the NCAA...they are likely to go by what the school reports. However a potential violation of NCAA rules? That can and has taken a lot of time in other situations.

Unfortunately, this could be a situation in which I tell people. If you want justice to move fast, then don't get involved with the justice system because it absolutely doesn't. Same thing with the NCAA.

Well said.  I can't shake it that Jubril did this to himself.  The fact that he hurts his teammates has us all anxious because we want to see our best product on display.

Excited for tonight's game, just hope our bigs aren't a liability against small ball shooters...

VU2624

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 27, 2017, 04:37:39 PMI can't shake it that Jubril did this to himself.  The fact that he hurts his teammates has us all anxious because we want to see our best product on display.

If academics and someone doing his work for him is in play, how does this fit into the equation:

Quotemember of the Horizon League Academic Honor Roll ... attended the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum

He's been on the League Honor Roll a few times. NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum?

If the rumor is true, not a good look at all.

wh

M

I'm not convinced it's not an honor code thing yet...happens during finals week, everybody back now 2 weeks or so...i don't know what a normal amount of cases would be, but I bet it jumps at finals time. Assuming they can't push Jubril to the front of the line he might still be waiting for his number to be called.

valpolaw

If this is a kangaroo court honor council hold up, then what a joke. I'm thinking it's the NCAA though.

agibson

Quote from: M on January 28, 2017, 08:52:20 AM
I'm not convinced it's not an honor code thing yet...happens during finals week, everybody back now 2 weeks or so...i don't know what a normal amount of cases would be, but I bet it jumps at finals time. Assuming they can't push Jubril to the front of the line he might still be waiting for his number to be called.

Long delays have sometimes been a thing historically, it's true.

Not sure the honor council stuff aome could make such a student ineligible (grad student? Simultaneous offenses? Past convictions?).

Also not sure what interaction an honor council decision could have with Athletics own decisions, or NCAA.

So, maybe. But my hunch is still NCAA.

VU2624

At this point, this fits much more into the NCAA MO than any Honor Council hold up.

NativeCheesehead

And I don't suppose we can expect the conference to come to our aid with our wonderful Deputy Commish and her past with the enforcement arm of the NCAA. I'm really surprised more was not made of that hire, and of the fact she's double dipping as an outside attorney.

usc4valpo

I agree with that Valpo is waiting for a decision from the National Communists Against Athletes, which are the worst corrupt,  non for profit procrastinators of all time.