• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

It might be worth reviewing what Has been witnessed.

Max and Jubril both sat for a game.
Max came back to play; Jubril did not.
Jubril continued to practice with the team and attend the games.
Last week Jubril practiced with the starting team.
Last week Jubril's dad started to post on the board after quite a hiatus.
At Thursday's game Alec donned Jubril's jersey and was lauded by others including his coach while Jubril continued to sit on the bench.
Social media posts from those close to the situation reflected frustration.
Jubril continues to practice with the team and sit on the bench.

This is all information that is not based on leasks or hearsay.  Did I fail to list anything that is relevant? I think we can figure what's been happening from what we have seen. 
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Speculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.  We really have zero idea of what is being done and I doubt Alec's dad has full knowledge of what is going on as well.

As for the Administration not caring about the program--nonsense.  You don't pay your coach apx.$500,000 and make him the highest paid coach in the conference and the highest paid employee at Valpo because you don't care.  Expecting the University to ignor needed STEM projects, dorms built in the 60's and a battle to compete for top flight students, while schools like St. Joes are going under, to build a new or remodeled ARC is also self centered nonsense proposed by people with aging bladders who can't quite make it to the can. Come to a Northwestern game sometime.  They have a somewhat larger endowment and have a basketball arena where you sit on wooden benches and wait in long lines for a beverage.  Get over it.

Why the personal attack, '72?  I expected that from the snotty kid with the cloud cartoon, but not from someone who is my senior, who took the time to look me up at a game a few years ago, and who has communicated with me via private mail.  Oh, well.

As to the issue, I know you're a fierce defender of anything and everything Valpo, and I get that. I'm a pretty fierce defender of 2 alma maters that I have my name forever attached to.

That said, and in all due respect, you don't know anything yourself. You could be right.  On the other hand, I can't think of one discussion that we've ever had on this board where you didn't vehemently defend every decision made and action taken by Valpo's administration and Board, past and present. So there's that.

As to questioning what Alec's Dad knows, hopefully you would be willing to admit that he knows about a thousand times more than you or I. And if you're willing to go that far, you might even consider that assuming that Alec is close with his Dad (and I believe he is), his Dad probably knows everything Alec knows. And since Alec and Jubril are best friends, we might expect that Alec knows everything Jubril knows, thus through osmosis Alec's Dad knows everything both Alec and Jubril know. He's starting to sound like a pretty credible source, wouldn't you say?

I apologize.  My comment was uncalled for and no doubt the result of the same frustrations expressed by others in different ways.  My guess is the Mark and Matt or Kim Smith or Jamie Anthony or even Darron Farha or Mark Biermann may be in negotiations with the NCAA and if so, certainly aren't telling the players about those discussions. Again, more speculation, this time on my part.

Sorry.   :-X
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

The whole problem here is that this is all speculation. I would also be extremely upset with VU if they didn't do everything in their power to get Jubril back out there. The basketball team gets the university so much publicity and that's really the only reason people outside of Indiana know of it.  My other thought is that if the ball was really dropped somewhere in the handling of this situation, then why don't those close to the situation let the public know what happened. As far as I know, there's nothing stopping Alec's dad or Jubril's dad from letting it out, but maybe I'm missing something. Once the season is over and he sat out the remainder of the season, there's no going back.

M

If they're confident that the amount of time he has missed is sufficient for whatever his "crimes" were why not just play him? Really hope to hear he's in uniform for tomorrow night.   >:( :-X :'(

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 16, 2017, 07:24:12 AM
Quote from: wh on February 15, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Speculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.  We really have zero idea of what is being done and I doubt Alec's dad has full knowledge of what is going on as well.

As for the Administration not caring about the program--nonsense.  You don't pay your coach apx.$500,000 and make him the highest paid coach in the conference and the highest paid employee at Valpo because you don't care.  Expecting the University to ignor needed STEM projects, dorms built in the 60's and a battle to compete for top flight students, while schools like St. Joes are going under, to build a new or remodeled ARC is also self centered nonsense proposed by people with aging bladders who can't quite make it to the can. Come to a Northwestern game sometime.  They have a somewhat larger endowment and have a basketball arena where you sit on wooden benches and wait in long lines for a beverage.  Get over it.

Why the personal attack, '72?  I expected that from the snotty kid with the cloud cartoon, but not from someone who is my senior, who took the time to look me up at a game a few years ago, and who has communicated with me via private mail.  Oh, well.

As to the issue, I know you're a fierce defender of anything and everything Valpo, and I get that. I'm a pretty fierce defender of 2 alma maters that I have my name forever attached to.

That said, and in all due respect, you don't know anything yourself. You could be right.  On the other hand, I can't think of one discussion that we've ever had on this board where you didn't vehemently defend every decision made and action taken by Valpo's administration and Board, past and present. So there's that.

As to questioning what Alec's Dad knows, hopefully you would be willing to admit that he knows about a thousand times more than you or I. And if you're willing to go that far, you might even consider that assuming that Alec is close with his Dad (and I believe he is), his Dad probably knows everything Alec knows. And since Alec and Jubril are best friends, we might expect that Alec knows everything Jubril knows, thus through osmosis Alec's Dad knows everything both Alec and Jubril know. He's starting to sound like a pretty credible source, wouldn't you say?

I apologize.  My comment was uncalled for and no doubt the result of the same frustrations expressed by others in different ways.  My guess is the Mark and Matt or Kim Smith or Jamie Anthony or even Darron Farha or Mark Biermann may be in negotiations with the NCAA and if so, certainly aren't telling the players about those discussions. Again, more speculation, this time on my part.

Sorry.   :-X

Apology accepted.  Disagreement forgotten. :)

FWalum

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 16, 2017, 06:34:51 AM
It might be worth reviewing what Has been witnessed.

Max and Jubril both sat for a game.
Max came back to play; Jubril did not.
Jubril continued to practice with the team and attend the games.
Last week Jubril practiced with the starting team.
Last week Jubril's dad started to post on the board after quite a hiatus.
At Thursday's game Alec donned Jubril's jersey and was lauded by others including his coach while Jubril continued to sit on the bench.
Social media posts from those close to the situation reflected frustration.
Jubril continues to practice with the team and sit on the bench.

This is all information that is not based on leasks or hearsay.  Did I fail to list anything that is relevant? I think we can figure what's been happening from what we have seen. 
I would have included VU's statement about Jubril being a student in good standing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Another "has been witnessed":

A certain iconic gold wig disappeared from the student section (and, incidentally?, the student section has had some weak showings).

valpolaw

Someone should give the AD or President Heckler a call on this Jubril issue and tell them our collective concerns.  Probably someone more senior on the board  ;D and see what they say......or maybe a ton of us should call and show our concern.  Someone earlier referred to fans as the constituents so this would be akin to calling our local congressman aka AD/University President.

VU2014

Union Street Hoops podcast talks about the Jubril situation right in the beginning. They talk the Alec wear #23 jersey, etc.

Paul mentioned if Jubril doesn't play in tomorrows game then he is likely not coming back this year.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_a98c31fc-f487-11e6-9342-77a5e2be6cc9.html

M

Yeah that statement didn't seem to be anything more then a hot take...not sure where he gets off saying that.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on February 16, 2017, 03:58:14 PM
Union Street Hoops podcast talks about the Jubril situation right in the beginning. They talk the Alec wear #23 jersey, etc.

Paul mentioned if Jubril doesn't play in tomorrows game then he is likely not coming back this year.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_a98c31fc-f487-11e6-9342-77a5e2be6cc9.html
Quote from: valpolaw on February 16, 2017, 11:44:55 AM
Someone should give the AD or President Heckler a call on this Jubril issue and tell them our collective concerns.  Probably someone more senior on the board ;D and see what they say......or maybe a ton of us should call and show our concern.  Someone earlier referred to fans as the constituents so this would be akin to calling our local congressman aka AD/University President.

As I resemble that remark, I'll do it via an email which I will post.  President Heckler is very good about responding to concerned alumni. Wish me (and Jubril) luck.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Here ya go:

Dear Mark,

As I'm sure you are aware, Jubril  Adekoya has been in a state of limbo for quite some time.  As a member of the Valpo Fan Zone Forum, I volunteered to contact to you express our concern for this young man as his suspension has now reached 17 games with the remaining games of his Valpo career now fleeting  bye.

I'm not sure if you have ever stopped by the Forum but you should take the time to see the many issues discussed.  Truly "all things Valpo".  At the present time there are 682 members and just today 63 different people logged on, many or more likely all to check on news concerned Jubril's status.

There have been reports of academic issues.  Whatever the cause of the suspension, it would seem that he has paid a severe price in the form of missing 17 games knowing the added pressure he has put on his teammates because of his not playing.

At this time no fan of Valpo has any idea what is going on.  Frustration has set in as the season is coming to a close with much on the line for the team and Valpo given the national exposure gained should we make the NCAA tournament.

No doubt there is much going on behind the scene.  Some information, if allowed, would go a long way toward keeping the fan base informed.  At present, lack of information leads only to speculation or worse, misinformation.

As always I very much appreciate all you are doing for Valpo and wish you all the best,

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 16, 2017, 05:03:42 PM
Here ya go:

Dear Mark,

As I'm sure you are aware, Jubril  Adekoya has been in a state of limbo for quite some time.  As a member of the Valpo Fan Zone Forum, I volunteered to contact to you express our concern for this young man as his suspension has now reached 17 games with the remaining games of his Valpo career now fleeting  bye.

I'm not sure if you have ever stopped by the Forum but you should take the time to see the many issues discussed.  Truly "all things Valpo".  At the present time there are 682 members and just today 63 different people logged on, many or more likely all to check on news concerned Jubril's status.

There have been reports of academic issues.  Whatever the cause of the suspension, it would seem that he has paid a severe price in the form of missing 17 games knowing the added pressure he has put on his teammates because of his not playing.

At this time no fan of Valpo has any idea what is going on.  Frustration has set in as the season is coming to a close with much on the line for the team and Valpo given the national exposure gained should we make the NCAA tournament.

No doubt there is much going on behind the scene.  Some information, if allowed, would go a long way toward keeping the fan base informed.  At present, lack of information leads only to speculation or worse, misinformation.

As always I very much appreciate all you are doing for Valpo and wish you all the best,

Excellent!

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on February 16, 2017, 05:03:42 PMHere ya go: Dear Mark, As I'm sure you are aware, Jubril  Adekoya has been in a state of limbo for quite some time.  As a member of the Valpo Fan Zone Forum, I volunteered to contact to you express our concern for this young man as his suspension has now reached 17 games with the remaining games of his Valpo career now fleeting  bye. I'm not sure if you have ever stopped by the Forum but you should take the time to see the many issues discussed.  Truly "all things Valpo".  At the present time there are 682 members and just today 63 different people logged on, many or more likely all to check on news concerned Jubril's status. There have been reports of academic issues.  Whatever the cause of the suspension, it would seem that he has paid a severe price in the form of missing 17 games knowing the added pressure he has put on his teammates because of his not playing. At this time no fan of Valpo has any idea what is going on.  Frustration has set in as the season is coming to a close with much on the line for the team and Valpo given the national exposure gained should we make the NCAA tournament. No doubt there is much going on behind the scene.  Some information, if allowed, would go a long way toward keeping the fan base informed.  At present, lack of information leads only to speculation or worse, misinformation. As always I very much appreciate all you are doing for Valpo and wish you all the best,

Well written.

We won't get anything.

78crusader

The anger/disappointment/hard feeling about JA's absence that is now being directed at VU by some is misplaced. JA is responsible for this mess -- no one else.

Paul

VULB#62

Quote from: 78crusader on February 16, 2017, 07:58:52 PM
The anger/disappointment/hard feeling about JA's absence that is now being directed at VU by some is misplaced. JA is responsible for this mess -- no one else.

Paul

Only to a point. This has gotten ridiculous.

valpolaw

Just because Jubril may have made a mistake or had a lapse in judgment, whatever it was, doesn't mean he shouldn't be entitled to a fair and speedy resolution, which clearly seems to be lacking here.

78crusader

Agree JA is entitled to a speedy resolution. Can't agree that VU is responsible for the lack of same -- I simply don't know what is going on.  Neither, I might add, does anyone else. VU is entitled to the same degree of fairness as JA.

Paul

M

Now her post makes me wonder if this is still a University matter and not the NCAA....really bizarre that I hope we get closure too (sooner rather then later).

I was on the JA has done this to himself and needs to accept his punishment side too....but if it is as minor as I've been led to believe then this amount of time got rediculous about 10 games ago.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 16, 2017, 08:16:05 PM
Now her post makes me wonder if this is still a University matter and not the NCAA....really bizarre that I hope we get closure too (sooner rather then later).

I was on the JA has done this to himself and needs to accept his punishment side too....but if it is as minor as I've been led to believe then this amount of time got rediculous about 10 games ago.

This has 0% chance of being a VU matter this late in the game?  Really?  I'd be dumbfounded...

VU2014

So I had no clue the Valpo's NCAA Compliance Office had a twitter account till now. Why would they have a twitter account? Who knows. But from there twitter account they tweeted out on February 7th this:
https://twitter.com/valpocompliance/status/829126160818827264

"Basically all day in the compliance office. #StillWaiting"

My guess is this was a shot at the NCAA for the Jubril hold up. This was last Tuesday.

Among the people who liked the tweet from their twitter accounts were:
-Mark LaBarbera (AD)
-Aaron Leavitt (Asst. AD/Media Relations)

Everything is pointing at the NCAA for this hold up. Maybe the University found out the bad new already and then the VU lawyers are appealing to the NCAA? Do you think the Valpo Administration has lawyers on this, fighting the NCAA?

sliman

Here's a theory I don't believe anyone has posed; if so, I apologize for having missed it.  If we can believe the original report that the issue relates to another student allegedly doing academic work for an athlete and this was brought to the attention of the university, it is likely that the university self-reported it to the NCAA. Then, the NCAA launches an investigation, not only of this alleged event but also a more thorough investigation to determine if this is an isolated incident or if there have been other such instances among student athletes which would show a lack of institutional control.  Such an investigation, crossing across all sports, obviously would be lengthy so perhaps the delay has nothing to do with punishment but is really a delay brought about by the complexity of the investigation.  Perhaps this is the type of case we've read about where a judgment is handed down on misdeeds that occurred more than a year earlier.  Perhaps the university has no control over the amount of time this is taking and is being wise to not comment if it would have to acknowledge an NCAA investigation is taking place which might foster a belief among the public that the university is guilty until proven innocent.  If the university is guilty of NCAA violations, I'm confident it will be admitted, but only after the NCAA completes its investigation (which I hope and believe it will find is an isolated case).

VULB#62

Based on what I have heard, this very well could be the scenario.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 16, 2017, 09:48:22 PM
Based on what I have heard, this very well could be the scenario.

I also had a person in a position of power at VU "not deny" that this scenario is a possibility.