• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 NIT?

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 08, 2017, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 13, 2017, 11:22:42 PM
Crazy prediction: Either this year or next, Scott ends up at Indiana.

Why would Scott Drew end up at Indiana?

covufan

I don't see Scott or Bryce leaving their current situations, unless it wasn't their decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_2010

Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2017, 08:13:26 AM
I don't see Scott or Bryce leaving their current situations, unless it wasn't their decision

Considering everything that has happened at Baylor over the last 12 months, I couldn't get out of there fast enough if I were in Scott's shoes.

As for Bryce, I've always thought he had his sights set on the NBA. Should things go well over the next few years at Vandy, I expect him to try making the jump.

VULB#62

Just Sayin

Nobody was murdered on the basketball team by another player covered up by the head coach so I guess in perspective, things are a little better at Baylor.

VU2014

If Scott got offered the Indiana Job I think that might be too enticing to turn down. The IU job is a top 5 job in the nation. It would be in his home state. Closer to Bryce/sister (brother-in-law) and his parents (all living in Nashville) and a pay raise. I think being at Private University where he is free "be more open" about faith based values is important for the Drews. Being that IU is an Indiana school, I think his style would be more "accepted" in Indiana as opposed to a public University in California, if you catch my drift.

I don't see Scott leaving Baylor unless the Football scandal starts to affect the Bball program which has been very principles based since Scott clean up the program and built it from the ground up after he left Valpo back in the day. If Indiana came calling it would be naive to say he wouldn't strongly consider that job because it doesn't get much bigger in College Basketball.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteThe IU job is a top 5 job in the nation.

Look, there are plenty of reasons why Scott would be interested in IU, and you did a good job of listing them. But let's dispense with this "Top 5" job stuff. Maybe it was 20-25 years ago, but I easily can name 20+ places that are better jobs, with better facilities, with either better or just-as-good opportunities to get to Final Fours/win titles these days. In fact, I'm not sure it's a top 5 job in the Midwest anymore - you can make the argument that Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin are all superior landing spots for a coach looking to win at the highest level right now. Heck, as much as it pains me to say it, the Butler job might have more upside (and certainly has more recent success) than IU right now.

IU fans need to face the fact that it's been 30 years since their last national title, and their "glory days" were built on some institutional advantages that they no longer have. IU was one of a handful of programs on national TV consistently back then. Now everyone in their conference is on TV just as much if not more. IU's basketball program was better funded than the rest of the Big Ten back then - now the whole league has every financial resource at their disposal. Every team has shiny, new facilities (or are renovating them) and all the bells and whistles any recruit would want. Basically, the world has caught up, and pointing at five banners (the most recent one being from a dozen years before current freshmen were born) isn't going to change that. Even the crazed IU fans, oft repeated why it's such an awesome gig, are a double-edged sword. The outsized, unforgiving expectations give no quarter and can be viewed by players and coaches alike as a headache as much as a blessing.

Does that mean IU can't win and win big again? Of course not! They have just as good of a chance to be at the elite level as all of those teams. But it will only happen with a clear-eyed assessment of the *current* college basketball landscape, not by simply repeating "because we're Indiana" over and over again and citing ancient history as the reason why you should be included with UNC/Duke/Kentucky/Kansas/UCLA, all programs that have consistently gone to Final Fours and won titles since IU's last championship decades ago. (As a frustrated IU fan friend of mine noted on FB recently: "UConn has won four titles since 1999. Time to quit pretending it's still 1987.")

78crusader

Not only is IU no longer a top-five national program, but I think a pretty good argument could be made it is Butler, not IU or Purdue, that holds the position as the top program in this state.

Paul

VU2014

I should have clarified that I kind of through out "Top 5" loosely. It's very debatable these days what is considered a Top job. I don't even like IU, but there is a lot of history there. Still a great job.

As for Louisville, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin, I'd say IU is still a "better job" then those schools. Those schools are great because of the coaches associated with the program. MSU was nothing before Izzo and a few years of Magic. Wisconsin has been a good program for a while now but I give more credit to Bo Ryan and we'll see what Greg Gard can do in a larger sample size. Ohio State is totally overrated. Thad Matta seems disinterested half the time. Not sure his heart is in it anymore. Michigan is a football school, that is good bball program but before this B10 Tourney run people were calling for John Beilein's firing. Louisiville is riding the corrupt/sleezy coat tails of Rick Pitino. Some history at Louisville but saw a "revitalization" under Patino.

I agree that the scales have leveled with every team being able to be seen on national TV/Streaming these days.

bigmosmithfan1

Well, if those programs are built upon singular coaches, um, doesn't that mean IU was elite solely because of Knight?

Louisville and MSU are built to be good for a long, long time. Ohio State has two Final Fours in the past decade and is one of the two richest athletic departments in the nation and none of the pressure from the fan base that an IU coach has to deal with. Ditto Michigan. You could apply the "overrated" tag to the entire Big Ten (1 championship in the past 25 years, vs. 8 for the ACC, 6 for the SEC, 6 for the Big East, and even 2 for the PAC-10).

Multiple Final Fours since IU's last visit (2002): UConn (4 - 3 titles), UNC (4 - 2 titles), Kansas (4 - 1 title), Kentucky (4 - 1 title), Michigan State (4 - 7 since 1999 with 1 title), Duke (3 - 2 titles - also won in 2001), Louisville (3 - 1 title), Syracuse (3 - 1 title), UCLA (3), Florida (2 - 2 titles), Villanova (2 - 1 title), Oklahoma (2), Ohio State (2), Butler (2), Wisconsin (2), Colonial Athletic Association (2).

That's *15* different programs who have gone to the Final Four more than once since IU's last visit. The. Landscape. Has. Changed.

VU2014

With IU job you definitely have more pressure. I kind of apply "Top" job tag because of the expectations attach to the job and the passion of Indiana basketball fans (not just IU fans, general Indiana fans). Indiana is a different State. I'm a Illinois native and it was really weird to me when I first came to Valpo and saw how much people from Indiana care about HS basketball. Indiana HS basketball is so "tribal". Towns really get behind their HS teams and get all hot and bothered about a bunch of amateur athletes losing to the next time. Its kind of hilarious but cool that people have that pride in their town and team.

I really don't have a bone to pick with the ranking of the IU job. I just think it will always be one of the Top jobs because of the Culture of basketball in Indiana and the expectations that come along with it.

Valpo89

VU2014, no offense but you're too young to be making some of your comments.
Michigan State wasn't nothing before Izzo. Jud Heathcote won the national title in 1979 and had good, tough teams throughout his tenure.
Michigan, while it may be a football school, has had good basketball teams since the 70s. You probably weren't born yet when the Fab Five came onto the scene. Watch the ESPN 30-for-30 if you haven't yet.
And yes, high school basketball in Indiana is pretty cool.

ml2

For those of us who are too young to have lived through some of the great coaches/dynasties of the past, a great way to get a quick sense of the history and tradition for various programs is a fun project that ESPN put together back in 2009.

https://www.amazon.com/ESPN-College-Basketball-Encyclopedia-Complete/dp/0345513924/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0/151-3647132-7188550?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VM8GJN3TRRC802DPB1S1

Unfortunately I don't think it's been updated since then. Still, the College Basketball Encyclopedia included an All-Time computer ranking from Jeff Sagarin that took into account all of a school's games going back to the 1930's. It also broke down who the top programs were for each decade. That info can still be seen online here:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1004/cbe1.pdf

It is pretty neat to see how some programs have risen and fallen over time - and an easy way to get a quick understanding of where things used to stand.

VU2014

QuoteVU2014, no offense but you're too young to be making some of your comments.

Don't you know nothing that happened before the millennial generation matters?  ;)

haha very valid point. Could be too young to have an educated opinion this one. 

crusadermoe

Speaking of "top jobs" that are overrated, Mizzou thinks they have a chance at Scott Drew. 

Why on earth would Scott want to leave Baylor for Missouri when Baylor has a better recent record in a better conference and he wouldn't have to play Bryce.

Also, there is a scandal brewing at Mizzou over a disgruntled tutor.  They are living in the past too.

VULB#62

OK.  Time to Reflect.  Time to be Realistic.  Here's what we are:  Valpo is a mid-major leader in the 18+/- th rated conference.  We on this board talk like we are equivalent to Power 5s.  We are, but not the good ones.  Illinois proved that.  Does anyone think that having AP on the floor would have made a difference tonight?  Well, maybe 10 points in the overall scheme of things. But we still would have been crushed. 

We need power on the inside, sown low.
We need 3 pt shooters who hit their shots under pressure.
We need 7 guys who can match the size and athleticism that we saw tonight.
We need to at least win the DRB battle -- UOf LI had how many ORBs? 

I'm not down on VU BB.  I am, in my own mind, being realistic. 

We CAN do that.  But it will take Matt and the Athletic Department to put greater effort (Matt) and greater resources (AD) to make that happen.

BTW, the students at Champaign were great.  They showed up!

VU2014

I do think Alec would have made a major difference, maybe not win but better showing and a chance. Having not sick Shane would help too.

The roster that was to be had this season had very glaring holes. NO Power Fowards. Freshman Bigs. Sorolla looked completely run down at the end of the season (freshman wall). Smits just isn't reliable player at this point. Inconsistent PG play with Lexus and Micah.

Other then Alec we had no other reliable shooters... Thats unacceptable. Thats why Sasha was such an important recruit.

Bakari & Joe are guys who can potential create their own shots and shoot the ball. If I remember correctly Joe shot the ball well from 3 at Okie St. Marcus Golder had a decent 3pt% at Northern Idaho, but I'm not sure its a natural strength. I haven't seen enough. We need more pure perimeter threats.

The way the roster turned out wasn't exactly Coaches fault considering we all thought we'd be have K Carter, Skara, and Jubril this season. Just so many holes and Alec was the duck tape holding this team together and when he went down it just became too much.

VU2014

Tweet at Paul your questions. If you don't have a twitter account just post a question on the board and I'll tweet it out asking for you.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/841837428092608512

justducky

Great Oakland comeback (20 points down) and win without Hayes. If they play anything like that they could also win at Alabama or Richmond.

talksalot

Upsets were the norm in the opening day of the NIT...

#5 Ole Mis beats #4 Monmouth
#7 Oakland beats #2 Clemson
#6 Georgia Tech beats #3 Indiana (at GaTech)
#6 Richmond beats #3 Alabama
#6 Boise State beats #3 Utah (and gets to go to Illinois)
#8 CSU Bakersfield beats #1 California

Only 1 OTHER higher-seeded team won:

#4 Colorado State beats #5 Charleston

covufan

Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2017, 08:13:26 AM

One correction:  I don't see Scott or Bryce leaving their current situations for another college job, unless it wasn't their decision.

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on March 14, 2017, 09:38:12 AMThe IU job is a top 5 job in the nation. It would be in his home state. 

Drew might take the Indiana job but the above is fantasy land or a post pulled from 20 year old archives.

As for Louisville, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin, I'd say IU is still a "better job" then those schools.

You can say it but you can also be wrong.

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 14, 2017, 02:11:22 PM
Speaking of "top jobs" that are overrated, Mizzou thinks they have a chance at Scott Drew. 

Why on earth would Scott want to leave Baylor for Missouri when Baylor has a better recent record in a better conference and he wouldn't have to play Bryce.

Also, there is a scandal brewing at Mizzou over a disgruntled tutor.  They are living in the past too.
There seems to be scandals brewing everywhere. The money and demands thrown at these top coaches can only be defined as corrosive. Is Scott as honest as I would like to think? Uhhhhh Don't know. As for Bryce his attempts or thoughts to push Nick Davidson out were pushing my limits.

Money and power and fan pressures could to varying degrees corrupt all of us. It is my hope that Scott, Bryce, Roger, Matt and others can avoid the worst of its temptations.

Ok. My annual sermon is over!  ::)

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 14, 2017, 01:47:35 PMAnd yes, high school basketball in Indiana is pretty cool.

"Clete, you tell him. Sectionals of '33, one point down. Five, four, three, two, one, let 'er fly... in and out. Yeah, well, I was fouled..."

Wilbur Shooter Flatch, Hoosiers

NativeCheesehead

Yeah because that's what we want to tell someone who was assaulted, "Well, at least you weren't murdered......."