• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by valpo4life, March 24, 2017, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 16, 2017, 07:19:31 PM
Looks like we missed out on Shaq Calhoun.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaqcalhounnn

His twitter picture shows Tennessee Tech bball court and he makes comments sounding like a decision.

WE missed out, or HE missed out?

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 16, 2017, 07:19:31 PM
Looks like we missed out on Shaq middle

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaqcalhounnn

His twitter picture shows Tennessee Tech bball court and he makes comments sounding like a decision.

I can see why he might go in that direction. I went to their athletic site.  Impressive facilities for BB. The campus is large and athletics have a high profile (again, based on the facilities and an aerial view on google maps). He had choices to make:  bigger vs. smaller, facilities vs. nationally growing brand, middle of the OVC vs. HL leader.   From those perspectives I wish him all the best, because, as he tweeted, it is about comfort.

BTW, don't take this as sour grapes, but if you look at the satellite view, TTU has more parking lots than grass on their main campus. Actually, I would go so far as to say there is more asphalt on that campus than any HL campus, but I digress.  I remember when my son was checking out campuses and soccer programs, he always came back to "the grass factor" and I knew exactly what he meant. That, in part, drew me to Valpo.

valpotx

We wouldn't have much playing time available for him, so it makes sense
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on April 16, 2017, 08:30:22 PM
We wouldn't have much playing time available for him, so it makes sense

I have to think this is about playing time. If playing time was the most important thing for him then he probably made the best decision for himself. He was to be competing for minutes between. Tevonn, Burton, Bakari, Golder Micah & Max. That is some tough competition. I could see why the coaching staff wanted a 1yr depth wing player. Also don't discount that losing maybe one of Coach Warner or Coach Manuel hurt Valpo's chances because they may have been the primary recruiter. I believe one of Coach Warner's job title was recruiting coordinator.

Not really concerned with not landing him. It was going to be a nice depth move but he was only going to take up a scholarship for one season which was nice because I know the coaching staff is recruiting a group of HS wing players for the 2018 class. They most likely don't want to lose a scholarship and they also want open spots in the guard position to be able to give freshman that year some playing time.

If I were Shaq Calhoun I'd be more concerned with getting most out of my education in that last year of eligibility then looking where he can get the most playing time. It really depends on priorities. If he truly thinks he can play pro ball overseas then go play at Tennessee Tech I guess. This is where young men need to surround themselves with High School Coaches or mentors that can advise them on whats really best for his future. Wish him the best of luck.

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 16, 2017, 07:19:31 PMLooks like we missed out on Shaq Calhoun. https://mobile.twitter.com/shaqcalhounnn His twitter picture shows Tennessee Tech bball court and he makes comments sounding like a decision.

From what video I saw of him, he was not very impressive. My personal opinion is I'd rather get a Power Forward.

valpo4life

Figured I would put all the Horizon league transfers into one post to make it easy for everyone to see a summary of what's happened so far:

Players Leaving:
Mark Alstork (WSU)
Jibri Blount (CSU)
Noah Dean (YSU)
Rob Edwards (CSU)
Aaron Foster-Smith (Detroit)
Jaleel Hogan (Detroit)
Kareem Kanter (GB) -----> Xavier
Michael Kolawole (UIC)
Andy Lucien (CSU)
Brandon Maxwell (NKU)
John Middleton (VALPO) -----> Palm Beach State College
Derek Rongstad (Milwaukee) -----> UW-Whitewater
KJ Santos (UIC)
Blake Spellman (NKU) -----> Central Missouri
Hassan Thomas (UIC)
Lexus Williams (VALPO)

Players coming in:
Sandy Cohen III (GB) <----- Marquette
Cole Gentry (WSU) <----- South Dakota St
Dontel Highsmith (CSU) <----- Northern Illinois
Roschon Prince (Detroit) <----- Long Beach St
Cody Schwartz (GB) <----- San Jose St

Got all of this from Verbal Commits.

VULB#62

Thanks for the updated compilation.  A quick sort and comparison indicate the following net results per team (so far):

CSU - down 2
Detroit - down 1
UWGB - up 1
UWM - down 1
NKU - down 2
UIC - down 3
VU - down 2
WSU - even
YSU down 1

Can't comment on the quality of all of those departing (although Alstork and Kanter are certainly difference makers).  Yes, we lose Lexus, but Middleton never suited up, so it's really only a -1 for us. Obviously, UIC took the biggest transfer hit, but they still have their nucleus and I assume some recruits coming in.

VU2014

Apparently Bryce is targeting: Mark Donnal, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fazekas. All potential transfers that we've at least mentioned or speculated as potential Valpo targets on this board. Ironic I guess.

Vandy still has 4 scholarships available.

https://twitter.com/VU365/status/852946786343944192
https://twitter.com/CoachDavidSisk/status/853272430395224065

NativeCheesehead

Yeah really looking forward to a year or two from now when we're not after the same players as Bryce. Wish him well but it would be really frustrating to see players that began their relationship with him when he was at Valpo end up at Vandy.

VUOR63

If I'm a Vandy fan, I find it troubling that my coach is targeting the same players as a team in the Horizon league.

FWalum

Quote from: VUOR63 on April 18, 2017, 11:21:59 AM
If I'm a Vandy fan, I find it troubling that my coach is targeting the same players as a team in the Horizon league.
Ryan Fazekas, after a very fast start, had some health issues his Freshman year that seemed to affect his time on the court and perhaps his confidence even going into his sophomore year.  I wouldn't really have an issue as a Vandy fan with Bryce bringing him into the program especially since he will get an additional year to mature.
Quotefrom Friar Basketball "Fazekas to Transfer and the Class of '15"

Early in his freshman season it looked as though Fazekas would be a solid four year player for the Friars. He scored 17 points on 5-8 shooting from 3 in just his third game at PC, and he was a starter in his first game (a win over Illinois in which he played 36 minutes and scored 10 points).

Providence probably doesn't come back against Arizona in November 2015 without Fazekas' momentum-shifting 3 pointer late in the second half, and a few games later he played 35 minutes in a buzzer beating win at Rhode Island.

A bout with mononucleosis derailed the rest of Fazekas' freshman season. He missed nearly a month and never seemed to find his form.

Fazekas started his sophomore season shooting the ball well, making nine 3-pointers in PC's first four games, including 3-6 in an opening night win against Vermont. He eventually fell behind more versatile players in Alpha Diallo and Isaiah Jackson, making just two two field goals from Feb. 1 until the end of the season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Just wondering about Fazekas and a fit at Vandy purely from a culture/comfort standpoint. 

Here's why: He Graduated from Marquette Catholic with somewhere around 200 students.  He then went to PC in Providence, and although it is D-I and a Big East member, it has a small campus set in a neighborhood of single family homes and some triple deckers, and a TOTAL enrollment of 4735. 

Since announcing his transfer, he has visited Valpo and he has also visited Fordham.  Fordham is a very urban school in the Bronx, NY with a 15,000 enrollment. They play MBB in the A-10 but in Rose Hill Gym (built in 1925 with only 3,200 capacity).  His final visit is Vandy with a total enrollment of over 12,000 on a 330-acre campus just outside the main business district of Nashville. However, once you get on each of the three campuses, there is no doubt that each is beautiful in its own right. But to me, both Fordham and Vandy depart from his earlier pattern of choices. 

This not saying that he isn't eager for change, but we are still talking going a long way from Michigan City.  Vandy is 464 miles and to fly out of South Bend takes 3:10.  Fordham is 745 miles and is a 2:10 flight from South Bend to probably Laguardia, but then it is at least another hour to campus in NYC traffic.  (Providence was 922 miles and a 3:55 flight).

THEN THERE IS THE QUESTION OF HIS IMPACT:  Where would his contribution have more impact?  Would he be a major player, once eligible, at Valpo, vs. a role player at Vandy? Fordham's record is a losing one; could he make a bigger impact there?

Valpo89

Fazekas is actually from Chesterton. He was part of a class with Chris Palombizio and Matt Holba that dominated at the middle school level. But instead of staying together at Chesterton, Fazekas went to MCM and Holba moved to Guerin Catholic because his dad changed jobs or was transferred. Very good article in the Times a couple months ago by Jim Peters that spelled it all out.

I think Fazekas would make a huge impact at VU. The question is, does he really want to "come home" for college? It's the question that a lot of Valpo High kids have to contemplate. Most local kids want to get the heck out of town. But since he's been gone for two years, maybe he's gotten that out of his system and sees the benefits of Valpo and possibly being a star close to home.

VU2014

Thought this is worth sharing:

Wish they'd create a committee to address transfer poaching...
https://twitter.com/WongSportsLaw/status/854386639929475073

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-creates-division-transfer-working-group-review-transfer-rules-203900929.html?platform=hootsuite

NCAA creates Division I Transfer Working Group to review transfer rules

By: Matt Fortuna
Date: Apr 17, 2017, 3:39 PM

In light of an increasing number of student-athletes switching schools in recent years, a new NCAA group has been formed to study Division I transfer rules and consider improvements.

South Dakota State athletic director Justin Sell will chair the Division I Transfer Working Group, which the NCAA says will focus on supporting academic success of students as its primary goal. Jane Miller, Virginia's faculty athletics representative, will be the vice chair.

From the release:

"Transfer issues can be very complex. This group is comprised of experienced leaders who will examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind," Sell said. "We look forward to collaborating on this issue with the more than 50 presidents and chancellors who serve on both the DI Board of Directors and the Presidential Forum, who will offer their top-level perspective."

The 19-person group includes familiar names such as Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher, Iowa AD Gary Barta, Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork, Colorado AD Rick George and USF AD Mark Harlan.

Boise State's Bryan Harsin and St. Joseph's Phil Martelli are the only head football and men's basketball coaches in the group. Coastal Carolina defensive back Nicholas Clark and Western Illinois basketball guard Garret Covington are the only student-athletes in the group.

This is third group formed since 2012 to examine transfers, and the latest group will, according to the release, "aim for a uniform experience for all student-athletes, unless data justify a different standard for certain groups."

Legislative recommendations are expected to be finalized before the June 2018 Council meeting.

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on April 18, 2017, 11:56:42 AM
Ryan Fazekas, after a very fast start, had some health issues his Freshman year that seemed to affect his time on the court and perhaps his confidence even going into his sophomore year.  I wouldn't really have an issue as a Vandy fan with Bryce bringing him into the program especially since he will get an additional year to mature.
Quotefrom Friar Basketball "Fazekas to Transfer and the Class of '15"

Early in his freshman season it looked as though Fazekas would be a solid four year player for the Friars. He scored 17 points on 5-8 shooting from 3 in just his third game at PC, and he was a starter in his first game (a win over Illinois in which he played 36 minutes and scored 10 points).

Providence probably doesn't come back against Arizona in November 2015 without Fazekas' momentum-shifting 3 pointer late in the second half, and a few games later he played 35 minutes in a buzzer-beating win at Rhode Island.

A bout with mononucleosis derailed the rest of Fazekas' freshman season. He missed nearly a month and never seemed to find his form.

Fazekas started his sophomore season shooting the ball well, making nine 3-pointers in PC's first four games, including 3-6 in an opening night win against Vermont. He eventually fell behind more versatile players in Alpha Diallo and Isaiah Jackson, making just two two field goals from Feb. 1 until the end of the season.

He's 6-8, 205 per 247Sports.  Sounds like he's a good outside shooter (those familiar with him can comment a lot better), but the "falling behind more versatile players" kinda stumps me.  Is he one dimensional? just a streak shooter? From his introduction to college level basketball as a freshman, it sounded like he was holding his own and had some key contributions against some tough teams.  Wonder what happened?

VULB#62

Quote from: crusader05 on April 18, 2017, 03:54:52 PM
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/854437907565862914

Aha!  He saw the role player writing on the wall at Vandy. 

Fordham: (40-54 Overall and 19-35 A-10 over the last 3 years with a slight slip backward this past season).

2016-2017
Overall    Pct.      Conf   Pct.               Streak   Home   Away   Neutral
13 - 19   .406      7 - 11   .389       L4            8 - 9   5 - 8         0 - 2

2015-16
Overall   Pct.       Conf      Pct.       Streak   Home     Away      Neutral
17 - 14   .548       8 - 10   .444      L2          14 - 5    3 - 7            0 - 2

2014-2015
Overall   Pct.       Conf      Pct.       Streak   Home   Away      Neutral
10 - 21   .323       4 - 14   .222       L1     8 - 8       1 - 11            1 - 2

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2017, 01:36:51 PMWould he be a major player, once eligible, at Valpo, vs. a role player at Vandy? Fordham's record is a losing one; could he make a bigger impact there?
Answer to question #1. Probably  Answer to question #2.   Certainly
Fazekas is somebody we want and somebody worth waiting on for a redshirt season. If he commits then I wouldn't want another red shirt transfer unless he would stand out as a "can't say no" option. Looks to me that we still could use another experienced, versatile, immediately eligible player to fill out our 17-18 active roster. Such a player might yield 2 or 3 extra wins vs another inexperienced freshman.

As for Calhoun he would have met some of our 17-18 needs, but I suspect we can do just as well or better. Time for Matt to return to bloodhound mode and get his nose back to the ground.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 02:42:23 PMIn light of an increasing number of student-athletes switching schools in recent years, a new NCAA group has been formed to study Division I transfer rules and consider improvements.

South Dakota State athletic director Justin Sell will chair the Division I Transfer Working Group, which the NCAA says will focus on supporting academic success of students as its primary goal.
You have to love their choice of words.  "Will focus on supporting academic success of students as its primary goal." I mean when you read that you think the NCAA is so noble and enlightened.

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 02:42:23 PM"Transfer issues can be very complex. This group is comprised of experienced leaders who will examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind," Sell said.
Of course they will "examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind". I mean its ALL about the student athlete. What else is there?

Back to reality. How about some mechanism for compensating any injured parties particularly for graduate transfers. This could and should be doable if only the NCAA would drop the pretext that it is all about the student athlete.

NCAA Div 1 mens basketball is all about consolidating power to the already powerful. As they take a fresh look at these issues how come I am feeling the need to watch my backside?

VULB#62

SO..................... What if they were to just eliminate the graduate transfer possibility?  Play 4 years as an undergraduate OR graduate in 3 and earn a friggin living in the real world. Basic choice. Simple. And if you do graduate in 3, and are serious about a career, go ahead and go  to graduate school on the rest of your scholarship but don't play basketball - earn a friggin living in the real world.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 18, 2017, 09:37:52 PM
SO..................... What if they were to just eliminate the graduate transfer possibility?  Play 4 years as an undergraduate OR graduate in 3 and earn a friggin living in the real world. Basic choice. Simple. And if you do graduate in 3, and are serious about a career, go ahead and go  to graduate school on the rest of your scholarship but don't play basketball - earn a friggin living in the real world.

Scholarship  players have an amazing opportunity that regular students could only dream of. In the case of Vapo they're privileged to attend a high-profile, private university free of charge. They stay on campus in the summer attending classes and working on their basketball skills, while their peers are home working summer jobs. They're provided tutors and study tables to help stay on the straight and narrow. They can fairly easily graduate in 3 years - and then get the first year of grad school completely paid for. When it's all over they walk out the door with a degree (or 2) in hand and no student debt to contend with for the next 10 years (longer if it gets deferred somewhere along the way).

Isn't that a big enough benefit in and of itself, without having to add some basketball-related, transfer gimmick to it?

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 18, 2017, 02:42:23 PM
Thought this is worth sharing:

Wish they'd create a committee to address transfer poaching...
https://twitter.com/WongSportsLaw/status/854386639929475073

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-creates-division-transfer-working-group-review-transfer-rules-203900929.html?platform=hootsuite

NCAA creates Division I Transfer Working Group to review transfer rules

By: Matt Fortuna
Date: Apr 17, 2017, 3:39 PM

In light of an increasing number of student-athletes switching schools in recent years, a new NCAA group has been formed to study Division I transfer rules and consider improvements.

South Dakota State athletic director Justin Sell will chair the Division I Transfer Working Group, which the NCAA says will focus on supporting academic success of students as its primary goal. Jane Miller, Virginia's faculty athletics representative, will be the vice chair.

From the release:

"Transfer issues can be very complex. This group is comprised of experienced leaders who will examine the issue with the best interest of student-athletes in mind," Sell said. "We look forward to collaborating on this issue with the more than 50 presidents and chancellors who serve on both the DI Board of Directors and the Presidential Forum, who will offer their top-level perspective."

The 19-person group includes familiar names such as Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher, Iowa AD Gary Barta, Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork, Colorado AD Rick George and USF AD Mark Harlan.

Boise State's Bryan Harsin and St. Joseph's Phil Martelli are the only head football and men's basketball coaches in the group. Coastal Carolina defensive back Nicholas Clark and Western Illinois basketball guard Garret Covington are the only student-athletes in the group.

This is third group formed since 2012 to examine transfers, and the latest group will, according to the release, "aim for a uniform experience for all student-athletes, unless data justify a different standard for certain groups."

Legislative recommendations are expected to be finalized before the June 2018 Council meeting.

Does anyone really believe that the NCAA which punished Jubril for his infractions with over a 1/2 year of ineligibility but let the North Carolina team that basically faked their education and win a national MBB title will give enough power to this committee to make real changes?

I just can't believe it.