• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Suggestion Box on how to boost Student Attendance & Enthusiasm at Games

Started by Billy Co, January 23, 2018, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2010

Great points brought up by many. As an alum and season ticket holder, it's truly a shame how much the culture has changed. We have talent and great recruits coming in next year, along with our transfers. We're in a much better conference. Can't just be us older fans. Just a few years ago, it was ELECTRIC! We need to push for the Athletic Department to host a gathering after the season where we can bring up these concerns but more importantly work together to brainstorm ways to make the gameday experience buzzing again. Please????

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on February 11, 2018, 10:18:06 PMOne of them was at home in Maryland this weekend. It sounds like his flight got delayed and he couldn't make the game. I'm not sure about the other 2. https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/962735931928334336

Well then I apologize for my rant on them, but not for the students who were on campus.

wh

IMO labeling the student situation as a "leader" problem is kind of a straw man argument. 

Prior to Thanksgiving break, we had played only 2 home games, both of which were against non D-1 opponents. What followed was an 8-week, 2-day dry spell, during which we played only 1 home game when the students were on campus. Making matters worse, our W-L record fell off the table during the "dry spell."

Working through long holiday breaks in shutdown mode is nothing new, of course. What's different was going the entire month of December with 0 home games when the students were on campus. It prevented the students from connecting with the program during the early stages of the season  while the team was playing exciting basketball and winning games. Now we're 2/3 of the way through the season and that ship has sailed.

Just add this to the ever popular failure with a good excuse file.

vu72

For what's worth and not much, I posted a complaint about the student attendance on Facebook and received a response saying that because of the school being closed on Friday and Saturday due to weather, many students went home for a long weekend and, many others were suffering from the flu that was going around campus. 

My response:  Horse Hockey   >:( :censored: :banghead:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on February 12, 2018, 06:47:52 AM
For what's worth and not much, I posted a complaint about the student attendance on Facebook and received a response saying that because of the school being closed on Friday and Saturday due to weather, many students went home for a long weekend and, many others were suffering from the flu that was going around campus. 

My response:  Horse Hockey   >:( :censored: :banghead:

Back in 2001 they had Midnight Madness which was awesome.  It was a huge success by acclimitizing freshmen to the b-ball team from early on. 

Light shows, music, a scrimmage + a dunk contest.  What can possibly do a better job introducing new students than a fun event in October like that. Was that outlawed by the NCAA?

None of us are on campus that I know, but where and how do freshmen get acclimatized to the b-ball team?  Signs in the student union are worthless, if that's all that's done.

Was at the game with a buddy yesterday and everyone walking out was talking about the lack of student attendance.  It's quite embarrassing I'd agree, but it gets old talking about.  Does anyone know the facts pertaining to what the sports administration HAS done this year to market their brand with the students?

vu72

I think part of the problem is Matt's personality which, it appears, is soft spoken and unassuming.  He needs to get out, or have other coaches and players out and mingle with the students or at least let his players go into the student crowd ( ???) and thank them for attending as did Vashil and others.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Billy Co

I sent a tweet to the Valpo Torch and the Sports Editor to do a investigative report on the declining student attendance the last 2 seasons. I'd be very interested to hear a students perspective on this and I'd like it to be in writing. I encourage others to encourage the Torch to write this piece. It's important and I know many on this board would read it.

Email: torch@valpo.edu
Office Phone: (219) 464-5426
http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/

https://twitter.com/Bill_C_Valpo/status/963072336932098049

valpopal

Quote from: Billy Co on February 12, 2018, 09:35:26 AM
I sent a tweet to the Valpo Torch and the Sports Editor to do a investigative report on the declining student attendance the last 2 seasons. I'd be very interested to hear a students perspective on this and I'd like it to be in writing. I encourage others to encourage the Torch to write this piece. It's important and I know many on this board would read it.

[tweet]963072336932098049[/tweet]

The current issue of The Torch has an article about yesterday's game by its sports editor. He doesn't mention anything about the lack of student attendance, but the piece is accompanied by a photo of Golder's dunk that unfortunately shows an almost empty student section in the background: http://www.valpotorch.com/eedition/page_e7ef5792-e477-53c7-bdf5-dca0021e9d91.html#page_11

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
IMO labeling the student situation as a "leader" problem is kind of a straw man argument. 

Prior to Thanksgiving break, we had played only 2 home games, both of which were against non D-1 opponents. What followed was an 8-week, 2-day dry spell, during which we played only 1 home game when the students were on campus. Making matters worse, our W-L record fell off the table during the "dry spell."

Working through long holiday breaks in shutdown mode is nothing new, of course. What's different was going the entire month of December with 0 home games when the students were on campus. It prevented the students from connecting with the program during the early stages of the season  while the team was playing exciting basketball and winning games. Now we're 2/3 of the way through the season and that ship has sailed.

Just add this to the ever popular failure with a good excuse file.

I agree that the poor scheduling has likely had a significant effect on attendance and enthusiasm. As I mentioned in another post, I would recommend that the MVC schedule two conference games in early December for every team (one home and one away) and remove conference games from the week between Christmas and New Years.

VU2014

Quote from: Billy Co on February 12, 2018, 09:35:26 AM

I'd be all for this.

ValpoHoops

Having been heavily involved with the student section during one of the most "prosperous" times that we have seen, I would welcome any questions anyone has for those who have been the "leaders" in the past. I can assure you that running an organization such as the student section takes a lot of time and a lot of work. It is a large group, and by its very nature is transitive and inconsistent.

Our biggest problem was pushing the leadership forward. There was a significant lack of involvement from those who were in the younger classes, and things fell off for a couple of years. It since jumped back up, and then fell...much like a roller coaster.

There are many reasons for the lack of attendance. Significantly among them (and this is a very incomplete list): Lack of connection between team and students, lack of quality/consistent scheduling, lack of student section organization/promotions. There are myriad reasons, but these are some of the most significant ones we faced, and it seems as if they are still there today.

As I did several years ago, I will be posting a post-season reflection on the year (see the old one here: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2533.msg72229#msg72229). One of the topics I have already written, re-written, deleted, re-written, etc. is on this topic. I think it is something that needs to be addressed at an administrative level. Its a huge undertaking for a student, or group of students. We shall see.

usc4valpo

Could declining attendance also be contributed to a subpar season?

I read an article about SMU basketball enabled fan engagement which was interesting. I think Mark Cuban wrote the article.

VU2014

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 12, 2018, 11:03:09 AM

Our biggest problem was pushing the leadership forward. There was a significant lack of involvement from those who were in the younger classes, and things fell off for a couple of years. It since jumped back up, and then fell...much like a roller coaster.

This fall is more like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMEk3THsxo

or this....

crusadermoe

Ok...a Torch story? . Fine.   But the horse has almost left the 2017-2018 barn in terms of a news story. Why not do the story next November and feature a picture of the near-empty bleachers on national TV we saw yesterday.  It might make more sense to do the story next November and show the bare empty bleachers in a photo. 

One last chance to be TV (though not ESPN) is the Northern Iowa game.  But with no real time to change, VU may need to just bite the bullet and close it down. 

E-mail to students:  For our national TV games, the student section will be closed off unless a full pep band plans to be there and at least 50 kids show up in Valpo wear agreeing to stand for half of the game,.  (no requirement that they clap their hands or yell a few times.  That will be a nice plus though.)

Can someone re-post those Northern Iowa student section photos again?

M

I think the pep band does a fine job with what they're given to work with...I do miss the the drummers during the introductions though.

VULB#62

Quote from: M on February 13, 2018, 08:49:32 AM
I think the pep band does a fine job with what they're given to work with...I do miss the the drummers during the introductions though.

That.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 13, 2018, 09:23:32 AM

That.

Agreed. I hope the Athletics Department reaches out to the music department this offseason and works something out. Someone mentioned the Music Department basically "sabotaged" the pep band in the past which is a shame. That's where I'd go to the higher ups to put the kibosh on their bs. I think the half-credit idea would get the job done as well as maybe getting a GA to become a instructor.

VULB#62

A lot of ideas have been thrown around here regarding the need to organize and coordinate the student body's participation and support  as well as reinforce a positive culture (including the pep band).  I have a question:  Is there a position in the Athletic Department designated with that responsibility (and I mean beyond setting up Tee shirt giveaways and free pizza)?  If there is, it might be good to reevaluate their charter and performance or give that position more resources.  If there isn't, why not?

crusadermoe

I forgot to ask where the President usually sits during games. 

As chief spokesperson and fund-raiser for the University, how does he view national television exposure versus music performances which are never televised or shown in the news media?   

That might enlighten us on the pep band and student attendance etc.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 13, 2018, 10:57:32 AM

As chief spokesperson and fund-raiser for the University, how does he view national television exposure versus music performances which are never televised or shown in the news media?   

Excellent question, he is chief amongst the public face of the university.  If he delegates the majority of home games to the AD then that says much.

Missing a game due to important university events, board meetings etc will happen.  I'd really like to hear from those plugged in on this subject.

Great point!

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on February 13, 2018, 09:29:30 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 13, 2018, 09:23:32 AM

That.
Agreed. I hope the Athletics Department reaches out to the music department this offseason and works something out. Someone mentioned the Music Department basically "sabotaged" the pep band in the past which is a shame. That's where I'd go to the higher ups to put the kibosh on their bs. I think the half-credit idea would get the job done as well as maybe getting a GA to become a instructor.

This situation has continued so long without a remedy that we now have a new generation of Crusader fans suggesting the same common sense solutions that older fans proposed 5, 10, 15 years ago. How sad is that?

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 13, 2018, 11:46:20 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 13, 2018, 10:57:32 AM

Excellent question, he is chief amongst the public face of the university.  If he delegates the majority of home games to the AD then that says much.

Missing a game due to important university events, board meetings etc will happen.  I'd really like to hear from those plugged in on this subject.

Great point!
This is brilliant! So at our next opportunity (hopefully Sat night vs Bradley) we surround them and implore, engage, poke, prod, needle and cajole until at half time we are "en masse" relocated by security into section D directly behind Brian Wardle where we can use our talents to annoy the opposition.  :thumbsup: I'm in!

valpo64

President Heckler was across the aisle from us in the chairback section at the IL St game.  He was not in his seat the second half.  Mayber the poor showing from the Student Body embarrassed him.     :)

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on February 13, 2018, 12:36:11 PM
President Heckler was across the aisle from us in the chairback section at the IL St game.  He was not in his seat the second half.  Mayber the poor showing from the Student Body embarrassed him.     :)

I know he is often in the hospitality room entertaining guests and donors.