• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME - Exhibition Valpo v. UIndy 11/1 7:00

Started by VULB#62, October 29, 2018, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

vu72

Is this game going to have tv or radio coverage as it is only an exhibition?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

It is not a "secret scrimmage" and I suspect they will sell tickets to the game, so there should at least be radio and GameTracker stats, no?  We spent >$600K on new video capability last year and this should be a tuneup run for the regular season opening on the 6th, right?

M

Valpo by 32 points.

Anybody from the region here might remember Tye Wilburn. I believe he was on the Lake Central team that played for the state title with the kid who went to Butler. He is on his 4th or 5th school and is now at U of Indy to wrap up his career.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2018, 10:44:45 AM
Is this game going to have tv or radio coverage as it is only an exhibition?

This doesn't affect me since I'll be there. I would, however, post an answer in a heartbeat if I did know because I recognize how important it is to so many fellow posters. This seems to happen every year and finally someone chimes in, while there are people from the athletic dept., Todd, Paul and others who regularly follow the message board who almost certainly know the answer all along and never bother to post it.

VUBBFan

Quote from: wh on October 29, 2018, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 29, 2018, 10:44:45 AMIs this game going to have tv or radio coverage as it is only an exhibition?
This doesn't affect me since I'll be there. I would, however, post a answer in a heartbeat if I did know because I recognize how important it is to so many fellow posters. This seems to happen every year and finally someone chimes in, while there are people from the athletic dept., Todd, Paul and others who regularly follow the message board who almost certainly know the answer all along and never bother to post it.
It appears that the exhibition game will only have audio (radio) and it is a pay to get in game. For all the rest of the home games you will be able to live stream them on-line.
Of those, 2 will also be available on network TV.
Of those home games live streamed 7 will be on ESPN3 (free) and 7 will be on ESPN+ (subscribe/pay). The last game against Evansville hasn't been decided yet.
The away games are going to be: 6 on ESPN3, 3 on ESPN+ and the rest on various cable networks.

talksalot

Only 5 returning players for the Greyhounds... Gone are their top 3 scorers...19-9 last year...we haven't played them in 40 years, our last year in the ICC, but we do have a 2-game winning streak against them.

3    MARCUS LATHAM   GUARD 6'3" 175 LBS   JUNIOR ALTON, IL ALTON PARKLAND CC
5    TYE WILBURN   GUARD 6'0" 183 LBS   REDSHIRT SENIOR GARY, IN LAKE CENTRAL WRIGHT STATE
10    JESSE KEMPSON   FORWARD 6'7" 240 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN HERITAGE CHRISTIAN  12.2 ppts 5.5 rbnds 19 blocks to lead team
11    JIMMY KING   GUARD 6'4" 175 LBS   REDSHIRT JUNIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN RONCALLI
14    CJ HARDAWAY JR.   GUARD 6'2" 175 LBS   SENIOR INDIANAPOLIS, IN WARREN CENTRAL SAINT JOSEPH'S COLLEGE  8.7 ppts  59% FTs
20    JAYLIN CHINN   GUARD 5'11" 170 LBS   FRESHMAN EVANSVILLE, IN BOSSE
21    MILES WAYER   GUARD 6'1" 170 LBS   JUNIOR MCCORDSVILLE, IN MT. VERNON (FORTVILLE) HIGH SCHOOL  0.3 ppts 46 season minutes
22    JORDACHE MAVUNGA   GUARD/FORWARD 6'4" 200 LBS   JUNIOR BROWNSBURG, IN BROWNSBURG PARKLAND CC
24    RADWAN BAKKALI   CENTER 6'11" 250 LBS   SENIOR LONDON, ENGLAND BARKING ABBEY JACKSONVILLE
30    GUNNER WILDER   GUARD 6'3" 180 LBS   FRESHMAN CAMERON, WI CAMERON
31    TREVOR LAKES   FORWARD 6'7" 230 LBS   SOPHOMORE LEBANON, IN LEBANON HIGH SCHOOL   5.6 ppts 45% 3pts
32    JACOB POLAKOVICH   FORWARD 6'9" 245 LBS   FRESHMAN GRAND RAPIDS, MI GRAND RAPIDS CATHOLIC CENTRAL
33    KEEGAN NORTHERN   FORWARD 6'8" 210 LBS   REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE MARTINSVILLE, IN MARTINSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
34    DEMARRE SIMS   GUARD 5'11" 163 LBS   JUNIOR JEFFERSONVILLE, IN JEFFERSONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL - played in 4 games, did not score

Having been UIndy's head coach for 10 seasons, Stan Gouard (pronounced juh-RARD) has lifted the Greyhound men's basketball program back to national prominence. That success has included six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances from 2010-2016, multiple All-America honors, a No. 1 ranking from his Division II peers (2014-15 season) and 2013-14 GLVC Coach of the Year honors.

Gouard has now spent over 20 years in college basketball. The stint includes four years as a student-athlete at the University of Southern Indiana and John A. Logan College (1992-1996); seven as an assistant coach at Southern Indiana (2001-02), UIndy (2002-05) and Indiana State (2005-08); and nine as a head coach of the Greyhounds (2008-present).

Gouard led the Hounds to 19-9 in 2017-18, finishing tied for third in the GLVC with a 12-6 record. After defeating Maryville in the first round of the conference tournament, the Greyhounds dropped a semifinal contest to Bellarmine. Despite 19 in-region victories, including ones over NCAA tournament teams Bellarmine and Drury, UIndy missed the national tournament.

EddieCabot

Quote from: talksalot on October 29, 2018, 01:07:42 PM
Only 5 returning players for the Greyhounds... Gone are their top 3 scorers...19-9 last year...we haven't played them in 40 years, our last year in the ICC, but we do have a 2-game winning streak against them.

Assume you're talking regular season play ... the teams met a few seasons ago in an exhibition game.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 29, 2018, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: talksalot on October 29, 2018, 01:07:42 PM

Assume you're talking regular season play ... the teams met a few seasons ago in an exhibition game.

... and, didn't they win that game, maybe even dominate? I'm also recalling (possibly incorrectly) that it was an exhibition game for us, but a regular season game for them. 

VULB#62

and for the record, our game and the one @ Ball State the very next night are both listed as exhibitions on the UIndy schedule.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: wh on October 29, 2018, 04:28:23 PMand, didn't they win that game, maybe even dominate? I'm also recalling (possibly incorrectly) that it was an exhibition game for us, but a regular season game for them.
We played them in 2015-won by 8
We played them in 2009-lost by 5
Both were exhibitions
They lost 3 starters from last year, we should win by 15+

vu72

Paul Oren Tweets:

Valparaiso's projected starters for Thursday's exhibition: Bakari Evelyn, Deion Lavender, Javon Freeman, Ryan Fazekas, Mileek McMillan. #MVCHoops

12:46 PM - 30 Oct 2018

Valparaiso's Jaume Sorolla rolled an ankle in practice earlier this month and is expected to miss at least the next two weeks. #MVCHoops

12:45 PM - 30 Oct 2018

Valparaiso's Micah Bradford has been sidelined with a back injury. He has not been practicing during the preseason and will not play in Thursday's scrimmage. #MVCHoops

12:44 PM - 30 Oct 2018

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2018, 02:52:13 PMPaul Oren Tweets: Valparaiso's projected starters for Thursday's exhibition: Bakari Evelyn, Deion Lavender, Javon Freeman, Ryan Fazekas, Mileek McMillan. #MVCHoops 12:46 PM - 30 Oct 2018 Paul Oren ‏ Verified account @NWIOren Following Following @NWIOren More Valparaiso's Jaume Sorolla rolled an ankle in practice earlier this month and is expected to miss at least the next two weeks. #MVCHoops 12:45 PM - 30 Oct 2018 Valparaiso's Micah Bradford has been sidelined with a back injury. He has not been practicing during the preseason and will not play in Thursday's scrimmage. #MVCHoops 12:44 PM - 30 Oct 2018

I know its an exhibition and the start of a very long season, but some takeaways from that somewhat surprising starting line up...

Golder not starting - I don't agree with it, but I suppose coming off the bench as 6th man is the way the want to use him... Even if he winds up with starter minutes, he should be starting IMO.
Freeman in starting lineup game 1 - Must have shown enough in practice to warrant this, which is a very good sign. I didn't expect him to start off the bat.
Neither big in the starting lineup, McMillian playing center - Obviously Sorolla is injured, but would have assumed Smitts would get the start. Bad sign for growth of the bigs AND great sign for the development of McMillian.
Lavendar in starting lineup - Hopefully his veteran leadership can be a positive role on the team. I didn't expect much of him this year, but hopefully that proves wrong.
Fazekas - no surprise here but we all said he needs to be a big contributor for the team to do well, him not being in starting lineup would have been a huge red flag.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vuny98 on October 30, 2018, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 30, 2018, 02:52:13 PMPaul Oren Tweets: Valparaiso's projected starters for Thursday's exhibition: Bakari Evelyn, Deion Lavender, Javon Freeman, Ryan Fazekas, Mileek McMillan. #MVCHoops 12:46 PM - 30 Oct 2018 Paul Oren ‏ Verified account @NWIOren Following Following @NWIOren More Valparaiso's Jaume Sorolla rolled an ankle in practice earlier this month and is expected to miss at least the next two weeks. #MVCHoops 12:45 PM - 30 Oct 2018 Valparaiso's Micah Bradford has been sidelined with a back injury. He has not been practicing during the preseason and will not play in Thursday's scrimmage. #MVCHoops 12:44 PM - 30 Oct 2018

I know its an exhibition and the start of a very long season, but some takeaways from that somewhat surprising starting line up...

Golder not starting - I don't agree with it, but I suppose coming off the bench as 6th man is the way the want to use him... Even if he winds up with starter minutes, he should be starting IMO.
Freeman in starting lineup game 1 - Must have shown enough in practice to warrant this, which is a very good sign. I didn't expect him to start off the bat.
Neither big in the starting lineup, McMillian playing center - Obviously Sorolla is injured, but would have assumed Smitts would get the start. Bad sign for growth of the bigs AND great sign for the development of McMillian.
Lavendar in starting lineup - Hopefully his veteran leadership can be a positive role on the team. I didn't expect much of him this year, but hopefully that proves wrong.
Fazekas - no surprise here but we all said he needs to be a big contributor for the team to do well, him not being in starting lineup would have been a huge red flag.

Valid points, I agree with most.  One thing that I did expect was Lavender getting starters type minutes.  Not saying all graduate transfers are thoughtful in the decision making process, but why transfer if you aren't likely to get key contributor minutes?

VULB#62

I have one concern about Matt's coaching approach last year and going into this 2018 season. For some reason, a freshman is promoted to starter before the first whistle is blown. Hasen suffered a lot of disappointment as a result and never recovered. Now Javonn gets the same treatment. The basic rule of thumb is to start an experienced lineup and let underclassmen, no matter how good, wait their time and work their way into a role and the lineup. Why rush this? We know Javonn will be a key in the long-term this season. But just because he is our prize  2018 recruit does not mean he must be rewarded before the season even begins. He has never played a D-I basketball game. I just believe it sends the wrong message at this very early point.

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 30, 2018, 07:54:17 PM
I have one concern about Matt's coaching approach last year and going into this 2018 season. For some reason, a freshman is promoted to starter before the first whistle is blown. Hasen suffered a lot of disappointment as a result and never recovered. Now Javonn gets the same treatment. The basic rule of thumb is to start an experienced lineup and let underclassmen, no matter how good, wait their time and work their way into a role and the lineup. Why rush this? We know Javonn will be a key in the long-term this season. But just because he is our prize  2018 recruit does not mean he must be rewarded before the season even begins. He has never played a D-I basketball game. I just believe it sends the wrong message at this very early point.

We never got an answer of why Parker started those first handful of games. I was thinking that he wanted to get him some confidence early on (never materialized) and maybe they were hoping he thought he'd be less of a liability with the starters lineup as opposed to the bench. I don't know what to make of that of situation. He looked completely over his head.

If he can play solid defense and contribute, why not start him? You don't need to play your best 5 player at the beginning of the game, hence Golder being the spark off the bench but playing starter minutes. Also something to consider is that these exhibitions and non-d1s allow coaches to experiment with different lineups.

I would be more concerned with Sackey starting out of the gates because playing PG comes with a lot more responsibilities. PGs need to be groomed more than SG, imo. Hopefully Javon isn't overwhelmed by being a starter and if he is, then at least we tested it out against lesser competition.

VULB#62

To me it is about establishing a solid, long lasting culture. When underclassmen know they have to work their way into the lineup as a rite of passage, it says something about the culture. And doing so is done in games, not practice. It doesn't have to be years or months, maybe just weeks, but the concept needs to be instilled from day one. In my mind no freshman, no matter how good, gets to feel entitled.

The other aspect of this is, if a freshman is that good, holding back the reins a bit only makes him hungrier to excel.

That's my philosophy, but every coach has their own approach.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 30, 2018, 08:35:56 PM
To me it is about establishing a solid, long lasting culture. When underclassmen know they have to work their way into the lineup as a rite of passage, it says something about the culture. And doing so is done in games, not practice. It doesn't have to be years or months, maybe just weeks, but the concept needs to be instilled from day one. In my mind no freshman, no matter how good, gets to feel entitled.

The other aspect of this is, if a freshman is that good, holding back the reins a bit only makes him hungrier to excel.

So does a 10/10 finish last year still mean no freshman start the following year?  I'd say every single player from last years team has to prove something, as if they are ALL freshmen in pre-season camp.

While I understand the philosophy, I also understand we had our worst conference finish since _______?

wh

With only 9 scholarship players dressing, there will be plenty of minutes to go around. It's always fun to watch new players for the first time and compare returning players to how they looked a year ago.

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 30, 2018, 08:48:26 PM

So does a 10/10 finish last year still mean no freshman start the following year?  I'd say every single player from last years team has to prove something, as if they are ALL freshmen in pre-season camp.

While I understand the philosophy, I also understand we had our worst conference finish since _______?

Basically, yes. The kids who have seniority, while maybe even of lesser talent deserve the respect of the initial starts until the rookies establish their creds coming off the bench in games. Don't get me wrong, the rite of passage I mentioned is not a year long ritual. It could be after game two or five. And it could be evident in game one in terms of minutes played despite not starting. But something bothers me about just handing a starting role to someone who has not played a DI game in his life. Again, what's the flippin rush this early in the season?  It's an exhibition for goodness sake.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 30, 2018, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 30, 2018, 08:48:26 PM

Basically, yes. The kids who have seniority, while maybe even of lesser talent deserve the respect of the initial starts until the rookies establish their creds coming off the bench in games. Don't get me wrong, the rite of passage I mentioned is not a year long ritual. It could be after game two or five. And it could be evident in game one in terms of minutes played despite not starting. But something bothers me about just handing a starting role to someone who has not played a DI game in his life. Again, what's the flippin rush this early in the season?  It's an exhibition for goodness sake.

You mentioned Parker Hazen as an example.  Were you proposing John Kiser started since the other (3) options were freshmen too?

tiny707

Javon is no Parker. I trust Coach is putting the best five out there regardless if they are a freshman, sophmore, junior, senior or grad transfer. Does anyone remember the Fab Five? Do you think Duke or Kentucky benches kids just because they are freshman? It sends the right message to top recruits that they will get playing time at Valpo right away if they prove themselves versus riding the bench at a P5 school and then having to transfer. AP and Bryce started all four years. I put Javon in same class as them.

crusader05

Isn't Micah out with a back injury right now? He probably would be who started, correct? Unless you would start Kiser. It's pretty clear they want Golder as an off the bench guy.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on October 31, 2018, 08:53:54 AM
Isn't Micah out with a back injury right now? He probably would be who started, correct? Unless you would start Kiser. It's pretty clear they want Golder as an off the bench guy.

I get the feeling that Micah was not on track to start based on his tumultuous previous year.  Albeit much much better than his freshmen year.  But it's possible.  Based on Todd Ickows comments about Deion Lavender, he was a pleasant surprise to the coaching staff at PG so I think he's been spotted at stating PG for weeks if not more.

crusadermoe

I concur with starting Jevon if he is clearly the better player.   

Or on the other hand..... it could be a false signal.  It could keep Concordia off balance and helps us withstand their onslaught on November 6.