• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at UNLV Nov 28 9:30 CST

Started by justducky, November 25, 2018, 01:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Suddenly, Smits is the team leader in grit and toughness. After the first half he has 10 points, 5 rebounds, and an assist, plus a lump on his forehead, a bloody lip, and redness around one eye. In fact, for a change Valpo leads in offensive rebounds 9-1 and 2nd-Chance Points 10-0! He's also been vocal with others on the court.

The refs have swallowed their whistles on the Valpo end of the floor, calling only 3 fouls on UNLV despite some obvious hard fouls. Even the UNLV announcers noted Golder was clearly fouled on the last shot of the half. Need to hit 3-pointers.

vu72

Quote from: sliman on November 28, 2018, 09:56:59 PM
Have picture and sound.  Good quality both.   On the floor, UNLV quickness is an issue but they've made enough TOs that we're staying even with them.  Clearly won't get any breaks from the officials.

on tv or internet?

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2018, 10:40:01 PM
Quote from: sliman on November 28, 2018, 09:56:59 PM
Have picture and sound.  Good quality both.   On the floor, UNLV quickness is an issue but they've made enough TOs that we're staying even with them.  Clearly won't get any breaks from the officials.

on tv or internet?

Internet: https://watchstadium.com/live/152424/

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on November 28, 2018, 10:28:43 PM
Quote from: RS on November 28, 2018, 09:52:43 PM
no picture or sound here also

You may need to use a different browser.
Do you have an ad blocker?  I had nothing until I turned the ad blocker off.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Valpo came back to take the lead.

Lavender was a hell of a addition to this team!

hailcrusaders

Is this the best ball we've played all year?
#CrusadersForever

sliman

Freeman is a very very solid freshman.  Has a great basketball IQ and court awareness.

PlumStreetBum

Fazekas now 1-9. As our depth improves/gets healthy, he needs fewer minutes. Coach needs to pick his spots and see if he can get Fazekas to relax into a more productive role off the bench, and rebuild confidence.

FWalum

Did I miss something.... is McMillan injured?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

A team called Valpo won.  Who were those guys in gold uniforms.  They rebounded.  They moved without the ball.  They played with intensity.  Who stole our team and replaced it with those guys?

SanityLost17

No McMillan....No Kiser....

Hmmm....

may know

https://twitter.com/jeffwaddilove/status/992111847150161922?s=21

Karma has funny ways of working out...

Great win! Smits is playing like a man among boys out there. Additions of Lavender and Freeman can't be understated.

nkvu

A nice win on the road.  Held it together down the stretch.  Smits had another good game. Showing signs of becoming the player we all hoped he would be. Nice to see Jay back too.

vu84v2

Great win! Beat a quality opponent and did it on the road!

hailcrusaders

I wonder if playing Press West Virginia the other day helped us through today's game, especially when UNLV pressed. We never really let it get to us. But man, we look bad at rebounding sometimes.
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

:thumbsup:  Had this one down as a big question mark on my prediction, REALLY wanted to see Valpo step up and take this one...and they did.   Now, as Paul mentioned in his podcast, they have a chance to really string together some wins.  Some winnable games coming up.  Great work!

VU2014

VU2014

valpopal

My favorite stat of the night: Second Chance Points, Valpo 18, UNLV 6! Smits played great, and having Sorolla back gives Valpo the two-headed force in the middle we have been hoping to see. With 9 points, Freeman just misses double-digit scoring again. Combine the stats for Freeman, Lavender, and Evelyn, and you get a very solid 31 points, 7 rebounds, 11 assists, and 11 steals! Golder also had 10 points and brought a lot of energy. Obviously, Fazekas had a poor shooting night, but he still contributed with 9 rebounds. Most importantly, team is moving ahead in the right direction recently and looking better with each game.

valpotx

The refs just let both teams play and beat the crap out of each other.  Some of the contact not called was pretty surprising.

Regardless, that was a fun game to watch.  Even though we couldn't handle the press until the end of the game, we caused a ton of turnovers by UNLV.  Lavender was a fantastic late pickup, and Smits is finally showing some guts on both ends of the floor.  I like it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

can we join the MW?  2-0

Congrats to Smits.  Happy for me that hes finally playing to his potential. 

Freeman is the best freshman we have had since Peters.  We are lucky to have him and he has great potential.

Can we call Fazekas a chucker....?  At least Bader hit his 3's
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

Fazekas needs to settle into the role of spot up shooter.   Right now he is trying to do too much, but he doesn't need to be the guy who creates his own shot.  With Smits dominating the low post teams are going to have to start doubling and that should leave Fazekas with some wide open spot up shots of which he will hit a very high percentage.

Smj

Quote from: VU2014 on November 28, 2018, 11:38:41 PM
Did Mileek get in the game today?
I think he has struggled a lot lately and I hate to say it but seems to hurt the team when he is in...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smj

We certainly had some rough spells in this one.    In fact, I remember saying that we looked like a struggling high school team for a stretch.   

However, the guys figured it out and I'm thinking this win will be a nice coincidence boost.

- Smits looked great against some bigger players...   

- We did a great job of stealing their inside passes.

- Fazekas does best at stepping into a shot.  If he's more selective his % will improve.

ALL-IN-ALL...   Nice Win....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

Sooooo many turnovers. Luckily they were worse then us.  Valpo rebounded well defensively in the first half it seemed, but maybe they only allowed 1 offensive rebound because UNLV shot it at a 60% clip. Second half rebounding looked more familiar. Smits was good, missed a few gimmes which would've made him great tonight.  Fazekas, come on man!  Golder was high flying. 

Very nice road win!  Will be nice to have a win streak (is 2 a streak) if they can pull off the win on Sunday (does the team play again before that??).