• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #16 Valpo vs Bradley 1/8/19 @ ARC 7pm espn+

Started by VU2014, January 06, 2019, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on January 08, 2019, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 08, 2019, 07:15:17 AM
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2019, 05:39:31 AM
Valpo starting to hit its stride in the Valley
By Dave Reynolds
of the Journal Star

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190107/valpo-starting-to-hit-its-stride-in-valley

The Journal Star's coverage of Bradley's game tonight contrasts with The Times coverage which I only noticed with wh's post about Fazekas in the MBB 2018-19 thread: "Fazekas, who attended Marquette Catholic and transferred to Valparaiso from Providence, and the Crusaders play host to Bradley at 7 p.m. Tuesday."

It's hard to attract a crowd when people don't know (or aren't reminded) about the game.

It is very frustrating. I've gone from an era where every men's and women's game received a preview/feature leading up to it and every road game within driving distance was covered in person. The women's coverage started falling off several years ago when the team started to struggle in Freeman's final years. Now barely all of the home games are covered. I'd write preview/features for every men's game if I was asked. The numbers (page clicks) apparently aren't there or perhaps there is another reason. My guess is that a Lowell/Griffith high school game would get more clicks than a Valpo preview story. Perhaps that's why we don't write as much. I don't know.

Maybe it's time for the Valpo communications people to BUY an add the two days before each home game in the Times and Trib.  An attractive 1 column by 4" to 6" ad or a banner ad in the electronic version as well as the hardcopy version of those papers would ensure visability.

wh

Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2019, 01:40:30 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on January 08, 2019, 01:10:34 PM5.  Gritty, Grit, Get Gritty signs - 5 signs, 1, banner over the railings and 1 painted body, - "yeah, that's right".6.  Student section 66% full but students will still be sitting.7.  Running out of programs? I sure hope not.  If you see "wh" empty handed please be so kind to give him yours.
I don't think I would still recognize "wh" so if he could stand shirtless in the student section with "Gritty" painted on his chest and "wh" painted on his belly while enthusiastically waving a program I might go over and join him.  :thumbsup:

Im afraid my shirt-shedding days are long in the rear view mirror.  ;)

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2019, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on January 08, 2019, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 08, 2019, 07:15:17 AM
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2019, 05:39:31 AM
Valpo starting to hit its stride in the Valley
By Dave Reynolds
of the Journal Star

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190107/valpo-starting-to-hit-its-stride-in-valley

The Journal Star's coverage of Bradley's game tonight contrasts with The Times coverage which I only noticed with wh's post about Fazekas in the MBB 2018-19 thread: "Fazekas, who attended Marquette Catholic and transferred to Valparaiso from Providence, and the Crusaders play host to Bradley at 7 p.m. Tuesday."

It's hard to attract a crowd when people don't know (or aren't reminded) about the game.

It is very frustrating. I've gone from an era where every men's and women's game received a preview/feature leading up to it and every road game within driving distance was covered in person. The women's coverage started falling off several years ago when the team started to struggle in Freeman's final years. Now barely all of the home games are covered. I'd write preview/features for every men's game if I was asked. The numbers (page clicks) apparently aren't there or perhaps there is another reason. My guess is that a Lowell/Griffith high school game would get more clicks than a Valpo preview story. Perhaps that's why we don't write as much. I don't know.

Maybe it's time for the Valpo communications people to BUY an add the two days before each home game in the Times and Trib.  An attractive 1 column by 4" to 6" ad or a banner ad in the electronic version as well as the hardcopy version of those papers would ensure visability.

Is that standard practice these days? I know I've seen for paid articles at major national newspapers but not at the local level. Is the juice worth the squeeze to do something like that?

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on January 08, 2019, 03:28:52 PMMaybe it's time for the Valpo communications people to BUY an add the two days before each home game in the Times and Trib.  An attractive 1 column by 4" to 6" ad or a banner ad in the electronic version as well as the hardcopy version of those papers would ensure visability.Is that standard practice these days? I know I've seen for paid articles at major national newspapers but not at the local level. Is the juice worth the squeeze to do something like that?

They do run ads for the games, at least in the Times. Don't know about the Trib. I only see the Times. Problem is I'm one of the few, who gets the daily paper now adays and it's really not even mine.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Hard copy newspapers are not worth the squeeze.  Our Athletics marketing department needs to be digital marketing.  Hit people's phones with BOGOs and other offers.  Blast emails.  I've received 4 emails from one University for games this week just today.  MSG hit my email for Knicks tickets yesterday and I'm 8 hours from there and it's the knicks.  There's a bad basketball team 30 mins away I don't want to watch, and I'm a season ticket holder.  I digress.  Another sports team hit my email today with special offers for a season that starts in 3 months and yesterday they had a special bobblehead day email for their bobble games.  Blast email or text to young alums in NW Indiana with deals. 

A number of modern day marketing questions are raised here.  The Valpo website has all the information and pregame stories, why do you need a newspaper story?  What's a program have that isn't available on your phone?  Although, I do like a sheet of paper with the rosters on it and if we make them available they should have sufficient quantities, but information is readily available in multiple media formats today.  Have a nice "media guide" program and sell that and just change the insides for a clean scorecard and roster.  Season ticket holders of a certain level should get a media guide in the mail or a link to the online guide (some programs do that).  Then, you can bring it to all games.

Aaron--chop chop.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpo84 on January 08, 2019, 04:30:46 PMThe Valpo website has all the information and pregame stories, why do you need a newspaper story?  What's a program have that isn't available on your phone? 
The newspaper previews are important to pique interest; the website is for those who already have interest.

I guess my reading of the paper doesn't count, as I actually get a print copy (I don't want to have to print out my daily sudoku).  I would only click on the e-version when I am impatient for my newspaper to arrive in the morning.

Paul, I certainly wasn't blaming you for the editor's decisions. I just get frustrated when the local newspaper doesn't support the biggest basketball program in its distribution area.
Beamin' Beacons

Valpower

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 08, 2019, 04:05:54 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 08, 2019, 03:28:52 PMMaybe it's time for the Valpo communications people to BUY an add the two days before each home game in the Times and Trib.  An attractive 1 column by 4" to 6" ad or a banner ad in the electronic version as well as the hardcopy version of those papers would ensure visability.Is that standard practice these days? I know I've seen for paid articles at major national newspapers but not at the local level. Is the juice worth the squeeze to do something like that?

They do run ads for the games, at least in the Times. Don't know about the Trib. I only see the Times. Problem is I'm one of the few, who gets the daily paper now adays and it's really not even mine.
From the paper's perspective, for the article to be worth writing, the readership interest (clicks, subscriptions) needs to be there unless the ad revenue makes up for the cost.  And if the ad or article draws no interest then Valpo is effectively just paying to have an article with no discernible return. If the ad carries a reward to the reader, such as discounted tickets or concession items, say, by clicking the ad to get a scannable code and presenting it upon purchase (or even old-fashioned coupon clipping, given the age of the some of our attendees) it might benefit both parties. The concession stand could even post a link to check the publication's game preview page for discounts and drive mobile-device traffic.

What kinds of ads does Valpo currently place?  What call to action do they make?

VULB#62

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 08, 2019, 04:49:50 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 08, 2019, 04:30:46 PMThe Valpo website has all the information and pregame stories, why do you need a newspaper story?  What's a program have that isn't available on your phone? 
The newspaper previews are important to pique interest; the website is for those who already have interest.

I guess my reading of the paper doesn't count, as I actually get a print copy (I don't want to have to print out my daily sudoku).  I would only click on the e-version when I am impatient for my newspaper to arrive in the morning.

Paul, I certainly wasn't blaming you for the editor's decisions. I just get frustrated when the local newspaper doesn't support the biggest basketball program in its distribution area.

I agree that digital is the way to go (just covering the Luddite sector of our popuation with the hardcopy part). Let me add, though, that the Valpo website is fine for those who have that site as a favorite or who take the time to go to it.  But we are after people who aren't keyed into Valpo athletics.  That's why these two news services have to have up-to-date ads that shout  "There's a Valpo (uh, NCAA Div-I) game on [day/time} at the ARC!  Tickets are 1/2 price!". Visual ads on the digital site (as well as the paper one) might, just might, trigger a response that fills a seat for a game.  And maybe, just maybe, if that casual fan enjoys the expereience, they will come back.

Oh Jeez, this just came full circle.  It means we would have to have a game day arena experience that people would want to come back to.

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpower on January 08, 2019, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on January 08, 2019, 04:05:54 PM

From the paper's perspective, for the article to be worth writing, the readership interest (clicks, subscriptions) needs to be there unless the ad revenue makes up for the cost.  And if the ad or article draws no interest then Valpo is effectively just paying to have an article with no discernible return. If the ad carries a reward to the reader, such as discounted tickets or concession items, say, by clicking the ad to get a scannable code and presenting it upon purchase (or even old-fashioned coupon clipping, given the age of the some of our attendees) it might benefit both parties. The concession stand could even post a link to check the publication's game preview page for discounts and drive mobile-device traffic.

What kinds of ads does Valpo currently place?  What call to action do they make?

There is also a dark secret in the media (digital or paper).  If you are an advertizer, you get coverage proportional to your advertizing budget.  The more you advertize the more coverage you get.

Valpower

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2019, 05:09:44 PM
There is a dark secret in the media.  If you are an advertizer, you get coverage proportional to your advertizing budget.  The more you advertize the more coverage you get.
And if your coverage has readership, it may actually be worth something to the advertiser.  ;)

elephtheria47

Agreed, butler, notre dame, and any away school I purchase tickets to all hit me up for tickets the week/day of the game, usually by text or email, or both. I feel a part of the problem has been the low attendance figures. People know they can walk up and buy a ticket the day of without a hassle, and wait to buy tickets closer to gameday only for something to pop up that causes them to miss. If there is a relationship with the times, could even send times subscriptioners free/greatly reduced tickets to a game to get more fans in the stands

wh

22 minutes before starting lineups are announced. Exactly ZERO students in the student section.

humbleopinion

They have xeroxed extra copies of the program. There should be plenty.
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2019, 06:33:03 PM
22 minutes before starting lineups are announced. Exactly ZERO students in the student section.

:-X  >:(

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 08, 2019, 10:24:52 AM
Hard game to predict tonight.  Bradley is as desperate as desperate gets for a win as their last 5 game stretch is about as dismal as it gets for what should be a very talented team.   Literally a must win situation for them.     

Last year vs. Bradley we won at home 77-64 and lost on the road 71-80.   

Both teams return most of their players from last year and I would argue Valpo got better upgrades in Fazekas/Freeman/Lavender.   

Despite the bad 5 game stretch for Bradley they still had much better quality wins in the non-con than we did.

So as usual I have no idea what to think.  I still have no clue who we really are or how good we can or can't be.  Same goes for my evaluation of them. 

I will go pessimistic view.   A desperate Bradley team pulls out the win and then we find a way to win a road game at SIU or Loyola in a big upset to offset the home loss.   

I'd agree, Bradley needs the win and if we are even slightly off in shooting we are in trouble. 

If memory serves these guys are solid as it gets on D and they have a rim protector?

VUGrad1314

Where IS EVERYBODY?! A half court shot and a convincing road win isn't enough to get this place rocking? Very disappointed in the locals AND the students. The weather is perfect AGAIN too. Epic Fail by the community unless people start streaming in during these final 15 minutes. Our student section sucks since I graduated. This isn't a "get off my lawn" alum moment. It's sad and terrible. Guess we have to keep winning to convince everyone. So be it. Go Valpo!

wh

Getting better. 10 min to go - 21 students. Can we get to 50?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 08, 2019, 06:41:27 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 08, 2019, 10:24:52 AMHard game to predict tonight.  Bradley is as desperate as desperate gets for a win as their last 5 game stretch is about as dismal as it gets for what should be a very talented team.   Literally a must win situation for them. Last year vs. Bradley we won at home 77-64 and lost on the road 71-80. Both teams return most of their players from last year and I would argue Valpo got better upgrades in Fazekas/Freeman/Lavender. Despite the bad 5 game stretch for Bradley they still had much better quality wins in the non-con than we did. So as usual I have no idea what to think.  I still have no clue who we really are or how good we can or can't be.  Same goes for my evaluation of them. I will go pessimistic view.   A desperate Bradley team pulls out the win and then we find a way to win a road game at SIU or Loyola in a big upset to offset the home loss.
I'd agree, Bradley needs the win and if we are even slightly off in shooting we are in trouble. If memory serves these guys are solid as it gets on D and they have a rim protector?

Bradley still has to put the ball in the basket which is something they've struggled with for awhile. Win the rebounding battle. Shoot well. Play solid defense. Contain Childs and we'll be okay. Go Valpo!

VU2014

Looks like we were way off on those attendance predictions.  :(

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on January 08, 2019, 07:04:04 PM
Looks like we were way off on those attendance predictions.  :(

If there was anything to predict with relative confidence, I'd think sub-par attendance is amongst the most assured.  Why are we surprised?

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 08, 2019, 07:33:59 PM
Fazekas done for the night-
Ankle

Was a relatively quick decision to shut him down for the night.  Hope it's minor, the poor kid hasn't had a full healthy season yet....

VULB#62

Kids are not backing off. There is some intensity out there on every play. Some of the plays wind up being a bit out of control, but that often goes with intensity. I'll take that over a lack thereof.

VUGrad1314

Attendance improved in the last 7-10 minutes We may have made 3500+ Definitely 3000+

As for the game Excellent defense and rebounding. Lost our offensive flow in the last 4 minutes or so and Fazekas is a tough loss (hope he's not out for too long). Hopefully we can get it back but it's hard to complain too much about a double digit lead at the half. Let's come out strong and put this away! Go Valpo!