• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21 Valpo vs. Drake 1/26 7pm ESPN3 HOF Night

Started by M, January 25, 2019, 09:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Valpo hosting Drake. Drake has several region guys the team.  It is HOF night, Valpo trying to bounce back and protect home court.

Valpo wins 73-66.

wh

Assuming the team left it's disgustingly effortless, disinterested attitude in Terre Haute, we will probably win this game. I only hope there are no more 1-on-1 player interviews in print or televised. I think they're very divisive. This is a team without a star, and no one capable of carrying the team on their own. They win as a team, or they don't win, yet those interviews have been totally self-focused - especially Derrik's. Even Kiser's and Evelyn's were somewhat that way. That's the problem with "let's talk about you" interviews. They're poison on a team where nobody's story is much better than anyone else's story, yet a couple of people get picked out for publicity at the exclusion of everyone else. I think Matt needs to bring the hammer down on these kinds of interviews unless they're more team-focused. Gobs of coaches have strict rules about granting player access to the press. Matt needs to put a stop to this.

talksalot

Temperatures at game time forecast to be 16, windchill 7.

Don't ask about Tuesday night for the Missouri State game...(ok, you asked, forecast is game time temperature of about -5 (going to -12 overnight); with windchills in the -30/-35 range.

SanityLost17

Drakes coach appears to be really really good.   This will be tough even at home. 

Valpo89

Quote from: wh on January 25, 2019, 11:32:56 AM
Assuming the team left it's disgustingly effortless, disinterested attitude in Terre Haute, we will probably win this game. I only hope there are no more 1-on-1 player interviews in print or televised. I think they're very divisive. This is a team without a star, and no one capable of carrying the team on their own. They win as a team, or they don't win, yet those interviews have been totally self-focused - especially Derrik's. Even Kiser's and Evelyn's were somewhat that way. That's the problem with "let's talk about you" interviews. They're poison on a team where nobody's story is much better than anyone else's story, yet a couple of people get picked out for publicity at the exclusion of everyone else. I think Matt needs to bring the hammer down on these kinds of interviews unless they're more team-focused. Gobs of coaches have strict rules about granting player access to the press. Matt needs to put a stop to this.
OK now wait a minute. You guys want more coverage, but don't like a player feature? There's not that many players on a basketball team, and in a given season just about everyone will be featured in some way or at least quoted in a game story. Paul Oren and Mike Osipoff's story didn't lead to the awful performances in Terre Haute or Chicago, and they weren't responsible for any victories either. Please.

NativeCheesehead

Pretty big game for a mid season tilt. Win this and you can dismiss Loyola and ISUb as just poor performances on the road. Go through another rough effort game and we've got a 3 of last 4 trend on our hands.

VUBBFan

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 25, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: wh on January 25, 2019, 11:32:56 AMAssuming the team left it's disgustingly effortless, disinterested attitude in Terre Haute, we will probably win this game. I only hope there are no more 1-on-1 player interviews in print or televised. I think they're very divisive. This is a team without a star, and no one capable of carrying the team on their own. They win as a team, or they don't win, yet those interviews have been totally self-focused - especially Derrik's. Even Kiser's and Evelyn's were somewhat that way. That's the problem with "let's talk about you" interviews. They're poison on a team where nobody's story is much better than anyone else's story, yet a couple of people get picked out for publicity at the exclusion of everyone else. I think Matt needs to bring the hammer down on these kinds of interviews unless they're more team-focused. Gobs of coaches have strict rules about granting player access to the press. Matt needs to put a stop to this.
OK now wait a minute. You guys want more coverage, but don't like a player feature? There's not that many players on a basketball team, and in a given season just about everyone will be featured in some way or at least quoted in a game story. Paul Oren and Mike Osipoff's story didn't lead to the awful performances in Terre Haute or Chicago, and they weren't responsible for any victories either. Please.

In College, Professional or even High School sports, how many group interviews or stories are told vs individuals?

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 25, 2019, 01:09:54 PM
Temperatures at game time forecast to be 16, windchill 7.

Don't ask about Tuesday night for the Missouri State game...(ok, you asked, forecast is game time temperature of about -5 (going to -12 overnight); with windchills in the -30/-35 range.

Is this a good time to talk about AC for the ARC?   ;D

Pgmado

Hahahahahahahaha. Haha. Ha.

VU2014

Lol player features don't make players jealous and that story wasn't why we lost.

Maybe I can buy that some guys could buy into their own hype but I still don't think that's what happened in Terre Haute. Either way the media isn't to blame for our team laying an egg. I thought the latest big pieces by Paul and Michael were great!

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 25, 2019, 01:25:56 PM

Let's give wh a break. There was a statement out there saying some players might have been irritated by the offense centering (no pun intended) around Smits. I was also thinking this team needed to play as a group and not focus on one player.

VU2014

I don't think this game is slam dunk for Valpo.Drake is very well coached and they play as a team. If Valpo lacks execution with their ball handling and passes, Drake could take advantage.

Valpo can't afford to lay a egg at home. We need to win these home games if we want be a top seed in the Valley when it's all said and done.

These guys can't take anything for granted, especially after Wednesday loss.

crusadermoe

AC for the ARC is urgent according to AOC.

She days global warming will kill us all in 12 years.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 25, 2019, 04:48:41 PM
AC for the ARC is urgent according to AOC.

She days global warming will kill us all in 12 years.

Let's avoid politics on the basketball forum.

M

I think it'll be a good crowd with plenty of Drake supporters cheering on the twins from Griffith and the Merrillville kid.

VU2014

Quote from: M on January 25, 2019, 05:49:51 PM
I think it'll be a good crowd with plenty of Drake supporters cheering on the twins from Griffith and the Merrillville kid.

A good article.

https://twitter.com/michaelosipoff/status/1088944344046977024?s=21

bigmosmithfan1

This feels very much like a critical "swing" game, of which there are several over the course of the season. Win and we are able to leave ISU behind as an anomaly and solidify our first-place positioning as we head for the halfway point of the conference slate. Lose, and suddenly we've dropped 3 of 4 and we'll need to dig deep to make up the lost ground. 

valpopal

Not that the Vegas odds have been very accurate lately, but Drake is a 1.5 favorite even on Valpo's home court.

VU2010

Yikes.... you guys do realize Drake has won their last three games, right? Will take our best effort AND better shooting beyond the arc AND CUTTING THE TURNOVERS DOWN .... oh and it wouldn't hurt for us to get Ryan back.

SanityLost17

Drake is well balanced and can shoot.  Literally all 5 starters can hit 3's on any given night.   

They start a forward at center and is backed up by a raw freshman center.   Like it our not, that is our key to victory.  Gotta score points in the paint, rebound, and play intense defense.   It is the only way we can win games since we are inconsistent from long range.

VALPO LI

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 25, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
Drake is well balanced and can shoot.  Literally all 5 starters can hit 3's on any given night.   

They start a forward at center and is backed up by a raw freshman center.   Like it our not, that is our key to victory.  Gotta score points in the paint, rebound, and play intense defense.   It is the only way we can win games since we are inconsistent from long range.

A weakness may be their foul trouble.  If we play smart and draw fouls down below we may be able to have an advantage.
T. Murphy 5 fouls vs. Evansville.
McGlynn 4, Thomas 4, Robbins 4 vs. Most.
Sturtz 4 vs. Bradley
Wilkins 5 vs. UNI
McGlynn 4 vs. Loyola
T. Murphy 5, Sturtz 5, Robbins 4, Thomas 4 vs. Evansville first mtg.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

Given the strong region presence on this Drake team I could see there being a strong attendance number. That's good though I think the crowd will be more neutral\pro Drake than usual. We'll have to show up ready to cheer and support our Crusaders to counteract this. I'll do my best to do my part. Go Valpo!

VALPO LI

Any word on any fraternities / sororities coming to the game.  The Pike fraternity had a big influence on the student section last home game!  Hope to see it again tonight.
Shine on Vu

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 25, 2019, 11:43:53 PM
Given the strong region presence on this Drake team I could see there being a strong attendance number. That's good though I think the crowd will be more neutral\pro Drake than usual. We'll have to show up ready to cheer and support our Crusaders to counteract this. I'll do my best to do my part. Go Valpo!

I think you are overemphasizing the numbers. Des Moines is still some distance and including friends and family you might get 100 to 120. That would still be a fraction of 2,000 if not more Valpo fans show up.