• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Old Student Sections Cheers

Started by VU2014, February 11, 2019, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Here is another video with a different perspective of the game-day atmosphere at the time Dick Vitale visited.

tiny707

Someone please send the Gangnam Style to Ryan or Dallas Mavs.

valpotx

Yeah, I will bring it up when we see him in a few weeks.

Regarding the "we're going to beat the hell out of you" chant, I remember that was banned while I was in school, and was very lame for the administration to do.  The lights off entrance was intimidating to opponents.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

A bit dated but Great gut check video especially for right now. And for those who say we aren't upgrading the ARC look how the building has changed from then to now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-E0AqpF8q0

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Man, that student section was something else.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2019, 10:12:31 PM
Lights off during player intros and the student section chanting "Homer!, Homer!, Homer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuBguF1Rt0&list=PLBoeUn3Mb5WpTHo-0fGynIacMtqDpeY03&index=39

I hope everyone on here realizes that this can't be done at the ARC in today's age of conference required streaming video and ESPN television contracts. We would need to replace our current lighting with an LED lighting system in order to have instant on capability.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on February 26, 2019, 10:42:35 AM
Quote from: wh on February 12, 2019, 10:12:31 PM
Lights off during player intros and the student section chanting "Homer!, Homer!, Homer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuBguF1Rt0&list=PLBoeUn3Mb5WpTHo-0fGynIacMtqDpeY03&index=39

I hope everyone on here realizes that this can't be done at the ARC in today's age of conference required streaming video and ESPN television contracts. We would need to replace our current lighting with an LED lighting system in order to have instant on capability.

But that's just one more "little thing" that could change things for the better (along with a really good sound system). I cannot believe replacing the lights and upgrading the sound system are unaffordable and beyond the university's means.  Installing AC in the ARC portion of the complex -- yeah, expensive.  And probably necessary.  But AC doesn't impact the BB game day environment (VB, to an extent, yes).

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 26, 2019, 11:22:58 AMI hope everyone on here realizes that this can't be done at the ARC in today's age of conference required streaming video and ESPN television contracts. We would need to replace our current lighting with an LED lighting system in order to have instant on capability.

But that's just one more "little thing" that could change things for the better (along with a really good sound system). I cannot believe replacing the lights and upgrading the sound system are unaffordable and beyond the university's means.  Installing AC in the ARC portion of the complex -- yeah, expensive.  And probably necessary.  But AC doesn't impact the BB game day environment (VB, to an extent, yes).
I very much agree that the LED lighting should be done.  It is a somewhat expensive change but one that should have a decent ROI in vastly reduced energy costs considering those lights seem to be on all the time.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Good Point, FW.  Lambeau Field had a humungous electric bill annually for it's stadium lighting in previous years.  This past summer they replaced all the stadium lights with LED fictures.  There are fewer of them than with the previous technology, there is no warm up required, they are brighter, and the ROI for the entire investment is only 30 months.  30 nonths and they are paid for!

valpo95

I'll weigh in on one of the more memorable cheers in VU history:

I think it was in the spring of 1992, and the opponent was Western Illinois. (For those of you perseverating about the team's supposed underperformance, remember VU went 5-21 that year, and 1990-1991 was similarly bad.)  Note, I may have my years and opponent incorrect, but the gist of the story is right:

It was a back and forth game, and the crowd and teams were into the game. We had been ragging on Western's coach all game - nothing vulgar, just yelling, and their coach was mad at the referees and sometimes at his players. With perhaps less than two minutes to play, a foul was called on a Western player, and their coach got up to protest. The band and some of the students nearby got together and in one voice yelled: "Hey coach, sit down!".

Ordinarily, this would not be that unusual. Except that in this case, a Western player on the end of the bench turned to the band and replied back: "Why don't you just shut up!" 

This was heard by a referee, who issued an instant technical foul on the Western bench. VU's Rob Cavanaugh (who holds the Indiana HS record for made free throws in a game)  stepped to the line and hit the technical free-throw. Valpo ended up winning the game, which if it was Western, 84-81.

Thus, this was the only time I can remember that the band "scored" a point in an actual game. After the game, Homer Drew came over and thanked the band and the students for their support.

NativeCheesehead

I often think of how different things would have been if Western had squeaked out one of those early Mid Con title games.

valpo64

The answer my friend is that we need to install LED lighting that doubles as a sound system.