• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #28 SIU @ the ARC 2/20/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 19, 2019, 12:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

I'll put my 75% win rate on the line and see what happens. No clue how the games gonna turn out because this team is too inconsistent,  BUT we gotta stay POSITIVE! Can Golder get out of his funk?? If he scores 15+ we'll win! When was the last time Sorolla or Smits had a dunk? SIU has played well over their last 8 except for the blowout loss at Loyola, and we have... well... you know... lost some games.

Valpo-68
Dogs-65

valpopal

In the last meeting between these teams, SIU out-rebounded VU 45-28 (22-7 on the offensive boards). I believe that stat will have to be different this time for Valpo to have a chance to win.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2019, 02:12:57 AM
In the last meeting between these teams, SIU out-rebounded VU 45-28 (22-7 on the offensive boards). I believe that stat will have to be different this time for Valpo to have a chance to win.

Rebounding is about positioning and desire to get the ball. Watch Deion.

may know

Word on the street is Hinson running for office in 2020, potential Democratic Oklahoma Governor candidate in 2022.

I like our chances in this one. Barry's distracted.

bbtds

Quote from: may know on February 19, 2019, 11:08:28 AM
Word on the street is Hinson running for office in 2020, potential Democratic Oklahoma Governor candidate in 2022.

I like our chances in this one. Barry's distracted.

It seems the Tulsa World once made a suggestion that BH should run for governor of Oklahoma.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/okpreps/guerin-emig-barry-hinson-once-thought-he-might-run-for/article_ba6fdf17-faae-54cf-8fb9-99ddfe02236c.html

M

I'll be at the game (glutton for punishment I guess), and will be hoping for the best.  I think the defense will be back in form and the team will rebound better then the previous meeting. I'll be watching to see if Valpo can go without any of those 4+ minute scoring droughts.

GoldenCrusader87

New to the board, ladies and gents. Can we sweep the Salukis? Hope so! Would give us some much needed momentum before the best season of the year: MARCH MADNESS!!!! How mad will it be? Can we be this year's Golden Retrievers???

VU2014

elephtheria47

Front row seats for the game. May be crazy, but thinking the Crusaders will come away with the W.

GoldenCrusader87

I think the nets are going to be hotttt tomorrow night for the Crusaders. We're due for a big shooting night. I would love to see Golder with his hops back, though. I feel like it's been a while since our crusaders put down some big-time dunks ... at least at home. That's when we'll really know Golder is back.

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 19, 2019, 07:48:26 PM
I think the nets are going to be hotttt tomorrow night for the Crusaders. We're due for a big shooting night. I would love to see Golder with his hops back, though. I feel like it's been a while since our crusaders put down some big-time dunks ... at least at home. That's when we'll really know Golder is back.

If Golder made a few more lay-ups I'd be very happy. Same amount of points as a dunk.

VU2014

I think Valpo gets the W tonight. Just a gut feeling.

valpopal

Valpo currently listed as a 1-point underdog at home tonight.

GoldenCrusader87

Sure ... lay-ups equal the same amount of points as dunks. BUT, it's the energy the dunks can bring to the arena! That's the X factor that can turn a game around and help us keep the momentum - especially down the stretch in a game where we've got the lead and see it slowly slipping away ... remember when Vashil would do that? Shane? Sure - a knock-down 3 helps, too. Like when Rowdie or Alec would hit those big shots down the stretch ... 3 points but then also the momentum.

SanityLost17

All I know is the following would go a long way for us to resurrect our season. 
1. We beat SIU (we are due for a home win)
2. MoSt beats UNI (MoSt on fire lately)
3. Bradley already lost last night to Drake so thats good   :thumbsup:
4. IndSt upsets IllSt (unlikely but since we have already swept ILLSt this is the least imperative result)

If we can put together a 3-1 streak here to end the season we can still avoid Thursday.  We are in a fight with SIU/UNI/ILLSt/Bradley to make that happen.  More games they lose the better.  We have already swept IllSt and we get the chance to play SIU/UNI/Bradley -- albeit 2 on the road.  No better way to advance your cause than to win head to head against the teams your are battling for position with.  We don't have to pass all 4 of them in the standings, just 2 of them.  I chose to remain optimistic until there is no choice but to lose hope.

BTW -- This is the one thing I didn't understand about USH podcast.  They thought the tie breakers were not in our favor but Considering we have the opportunity to sweep a bunch of teams in the middle I actually think the tie-breakers could work out in our favor if we the right games.   

VUBBFan

A win tonight would, with tie-breakers, put us at least in 6th place and depending on other outcomes could go as far as 4th.

Go Valpo! 

Valpo89

no offense but it's a little sad to get excited about fourth or sixth place.
I'm staying home to watch the season premier of Survivor.

humbleopinion

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 20, 2019, 02:42:45 PM

I guess the weather isn't quite fair enough for you.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 20, 2019, 02:42:45 PM

Survivor is still on TV?

justducky

My mind is rattling back and forth so I will share my thinking.
Quote from: VUBBFan on February 20, 2019, 02:01:40 PMA win tonight would, with tie-breakers, put us at least in 6th place and depending on other outcomes could go as far as 4th.
Given the collapse of mood and expectations maybe I should stay home to avoid the risk of being hit by that car.    :thumbsup:
BUT

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 20, 2019, 02:42:45 PMno offense but it's a little sad to get excited about fourth or sixth place.
Hmmmm?  Getting killed in a hit and run has got to be better than that so I'm going.  :thumbsup:

may know

"I'm staying home to watch the season premier of Survivor."

When the show has another Chaos Kass and stops allowing Probst to ruin it with stupid twists, call me.

wh

My wife had surgery this morning and will be in the hospital for the next 2-3 days. Knowing there is a game tonight, she just turned to me and said, "Why don't you go ahead and go to the game; I'll just be sleeping anyway."  For you young guys, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, don't move a muscle. Tonight is radio night.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2019, 05:33:40 PM
My wife had surgery this morning and will be in the hospital for the next 2-3 days. Knowing there is a game tonight, she just turned to me and said, "Why don't you go ahead and go to the game; I'll just be sleeping anyway."  For you young guys, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, don't move a muscle. Tonight is radio night.
Good advice! It took me years of trial and error before I reached the same conclusion.

M

^^same^^
Well done wh...I'll be at the game, I found a dollar in my pans pocket this morning, had a great day teaching...let the good times keep rolling!