• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29 @UNI Saturday 2/23/19 7pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, February 22, 2019, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

I'll just throw some numbers out and let you reach your own conclusions.

Golder and Fazekas combined for 51 of the 200 total minutes
With                                             9 points
                                                    4 RB
                                                    4 TO
                                                    1 assist
                                                    1 steal                  Thoughts  ???
I think I'm now seeing Kiser significantly outperforming both defensively. Could I have said that in early January?      Fire away!

VU2014

Google Translation: "Believing the worst, almost always hits @ Valparaiso University"

https://twitter.com/jay_sorolla/status/1099771414674960384

Google translate tends to botch translations.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on February 24, 2019, 02:45:02 PM
Google Translation: "Believing the worst, almost always hits @ Valparaiso University"

Sounds like he is saying they thought the season would be bad and the season did end up bad.  No bueno

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 24, 2019, 03:28:57 PM

Sounds like he is saying they thought the season would be bad and the season did end up bad.  No bueno

Keep in mind dialects and regions use same words with different meanings...so, who really knows.

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2019, 02:28:35 PM
I'll just throw some numbers out and let you reach your own conclusions.

Golder and Fazekas combined for 51 of the 200 total minutes
With                                             9 points
                                                    4 RB
                                                    4 TO
                                                    1 assist
                                                    1 steal                  Thoughts  ???
I think I'm now seeing Kiser significantly outperforming both defensively. Could I have said that in early January?      Fire away!

Whatever the after affects of their illnesss/injuries, Ryan and Markus have gone from integral pieces of the puzzle to just taking up space out there. Whatever happened to Bakari between last year and this, his playmaking, slashing and shooting have fallen off the table. Derrik is more productive offensively, but he's still disinterested in hustling or giving up his body. Not starting him has had no noticeable positive effect. You're just going to get what you're going to get from Derrik. He appears to be totally uncoachable. Jay is more timid offensively than last year, and last year he was more timid than the year before. To have all these guys hitting on all 8 cylinders over the same 40 minutes would be dumb luck at this point. Last, but not least, this team is playing worse right now than last year's team at the same point. And to think, they're all going to be back next year. Wow.

a3uge

UNI is still scoring less per game than Valpo and have a worse FG%. Both teams offenses looked putrid last night. UNI had some late 3s that was the difference in the game. I wouldn't look to that team as a model for a decent offense.

Valpo's offense is certainly frustrating. They have the most turnovers in the league, and can't (and usually don't) shoot the 3. The bigs aren't skilled enough passers to kick it out to the corners (if they actually catch the ball) and the guards can't penetrate without turning it over. Freeman can finish every once in awhile, but he hasn't shown the ability to pass it out to an open shooter.

Plenty of blame to go around here, and I still contend the problem has more to do with player skill than an offensive scheme. You can't scheme Kiser into a shooter, Golder into a ball handler, and Bakari into a finisher. I don't think coach K could make these guys look competent on offense.

valpopal

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 24, 2019, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 24, 2019, 03:28:57 PM

[tweet]1099771414674960384[/tweet]

Keep in mind dialects and regions use same words with different meanings...so, who really knows.

This appears to be a quote usually attributed to a Spanish poet of the 16-17th centuries.

NativeCheesehead

The success of Drake and Mo St with first year coaches doesn't make Lottich look any better.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 24, 2019, 05:13:58 PM
The success of Drake and Mo St with first year coaches doesn't make Lottich look any better.
We hear you.

I was just thinking that if McMillan could defend like Kiser he could be getting 30+ minutes per game.

NativeCheesehead

McMillian picked up three fouls walking back to the bus.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 24, 2019, 05:44:49 PM
He has 43 fouls in 211 minutes which comes out to one every 4.9 minutes of play. However most are from poor defense so my hypothetical combination with Kiser might still stand.  ::) Or he could make up for it by running additional guys over while backing them down or attacking the basket and whatever else is in his way off the dribble.

nkvu

To go with the two he picked up taking off his warmups.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: nkvu on February 24, 2019, 06:28:23 PM

He has such enthusiasm on the bench and has a great attitude, I appreciate his commitment.  Is he just learning his frame combined with semi-low instinct?  What's others thoughts here?

crusadermoe

raw but has a high ceiling.  shooting touch is impressive.  can the rest be coached up?

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on February 23, 2019, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on February 23, 2019, 08:31:55 PM
Holy hell start calling the game BOTH ways!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I hope Lottich is in their ear ... I believe a point of emphasis this year was to keep team fouls as even as possible.

You are nothin' but a wise ass. I like it.  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 24, 2019, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 24, 2019, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 24, 2019, 08:37:41 AM
Bryce's incoming recruiting class may save him. Of course in the big time if the boosters want you gone, you're gone. And it's not uncommon for said boosters to work some back channels to see if high level recruits would leave if the coach is fired.

I doubt that they will fire Bryce after only his third season.  They will give him at least four years through a full recruiting cycle. Even if they did, from a financial standpoint, VU would have to shell out about $8 million to Bryce, half of his six-year contract as reported to have been $16 million as I recall.  A win-win for Bryce. 

Somehow I don't think you understand contracts.  Under your theory, Vandy steals our coach and when he doesn't work out WE pay for half his remaining contract?  THEY might have to pay him but we certainly wouldn't.  And if we wanted him back we ceertainly wouldn't pay him $8 million!

You couldn't have known he meant VU was Vandy on a Valparaiso University message board.  most ceertainly!

VULB#62

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 24, 2019, 06:57:23 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 24, 2019, 06:28:23 PM

He has such enthusiasm on the bench and has a great attitude, I appreciate his commitment.  Is he just learning his frame combined with semi-low instinct?  What's others thoughts here?

What the heck. Red shirt him next season. Actually he should have been red shirted either in his first or this year. He needs more development without losing eligibility, and with 20-20 hindsight I wonder why the staff did not see this sooner.

VUGrad1314

I agree with this in principle but we have to wait to see what the roster looks like first.

GoldenCrusader87

You've gotta remember ... not only did this staff not see this need ...but, they started him for the first 8 games as a true freshman. Think about that ... and then since ... hardly played. Same could be said of Parker and we saw how that played out. Different subject - but you get the point.

humbleopinion

A few observations from the game:

Bakari went 3 for 4 from the three point stripe. I hope he has his stroke back. He has been getting open looks as Ryan has been getting the attention.

Since Ryan has been back, our defensive performance seems to have declined.  I wonder how much his ankle is hindering him.  I remember how hard Bryce used to work to get himself open by making cuts and running off of screens.  Is Ryan just a step slow for doing this?

Mileek didn't play much, but have you ever noticed how often his teammates have to tell him where to be when running plays?

Do you remember the coach's poll at the beginning of the season?  We have two games left and still can beat expectations.
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on February 24, 2019, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 24, 2019, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 24, 2019, 08:37:41 AM
Bryce's incoming recruiting class may save him. Of course in the big time if the boosters want you gone, you're gone. And it's not uncommon for said boosters to work some back channels to see if high level recruits would leave if the coach is fired.

I doubt that they will fire Bryce after only his third season.  They will give him at least four years through a full recruiting cycle. Even if they did, from a financial standpoint, VU would have to shell out about $8 million to Bryce, half of his six-year contract as reported to have been $16 million as I recall.  A win-win for Bryce. 

Somehow I don't think you understand contracts.  Under your theory, Vandy steals our coach and when he doesn't work out WE pay for half his remaining contract?  THEY might have to pay him but we certainly wouldn't.  And if we wanted him back we ceertainly wouldn't pay him $8 million!

Somehow I don't think you understand that VU also means Vanderbilt University.

Valpo89

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 25, 2019, 07:01:56 AM
I remember how hard Bryce used to work to get himself open by making cuts and running off of screens.  Is Ryan just a step slow for doing this?
Do they actually set screens, ever, to try to get a 3-point shooter open?

M

I missed the game Saturday, but it sounds like I've already seen this game played half a dozen times this year so big deal.

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 24, 2019, 08:25:55 PM
raw but has a high ceiling.  shooting touch is impressive.  can the rest be coached up?
I can understand McMillan arriving here unable to defend but I am astonished that any second year player could have learned so little. He seems to have the foot speed so just what is it?

I threw in the towel for Bradley when they went 0-5 and they immediately turned everything around. With that in mind I think it may be time for Mileek to look for a new D1 home. Unlike Bradley I am still hoping he can prove me wrong.

M

If he left he'd probably end up at Drake with all the other region players and end up killing Valpo for 2 years.