• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

On Student Section Attendance and Interaction

Started by ValpoHoops, March 22, 2019, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on November 21, 2019, 07:37:50 PM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on November 21, 2019, 07:10:46 PM
With the recent news regarding the culmination of the men's soccer and tennis programs, it sure seems like there would be an increased amount of pressure on the basketball program bringing in good revenue. Thus far, I'm seeing a better product on the court. Seems like we have more Saturday games, right? Non-conference home schedule not bad. Also, we're seeing an effort to improve the fan experience with the gentleman who asks questions, comes into he stands, and so forth. Soooo - some good stuff. With that said, we just need to get those stands a bit more full .... and obviously the student section.

Um, not sure how the two equate. Soccer and tennis are non-revenue sports,(i.e. no charge for admission)

Valpo doesn't charge admission for soccer games?  I've been to several D-I soccer games in my area and they all charged admission.

GoldenCrusader87

Stand by my prior comments. Not seeing the fans show up thus far. Not seeing the students show up thus far. And have you seen the pep band? If so, let them know when the next home game is. Truly a better environment when they're there. If we honestly don't have a full pep band, invite local high school bands. It's a shame. What happened to the drum line?

VALPO LI

2018 non conference home game average attendance was 2,365 over 6 games.
2019 non conference home game average attendance 2,405 over 4 games.
This season up by an average of 40. 
40 spectators not 40%.
Shine on Vu

valpo64

Regarding the Central Michigan game student attendance, I believe the students were just starting finals, or hopefully preparing for them.  I guess the handful of Pep Band members is better than none but those few are sure a let down from what it used to be. I will say they are consistent...still playing music 20 years old, or at least it seems that way.  There just has to be a way to improve that particular game-day experience.  I wish I knew what is would be.

usc4valpo

sometimes you need to take a break from studying...seriously

GoldenCrusader87

Time shall tell then once conference games start up and school is back in session. Here's to hoping we get a student section and a band back for conference play. I know there's ways to stream games and times have changed. But I miss the drum line during introductions and the home court advantage. I do commend them for trying to create more interactions this year to up the game experience. The gentleman who is running that is doing a nice job. Just tough sledding I guess.

valpospartan

Quote from: VALPO LI on December 17, 2019, 11:06:19 AM
40 spectators not 40%.

[/quote
40 spectators not 40%.

Quote from: valpo64 on December 17, 2019, 04:08:34 PM
Regarding the Central Michigan game student attendance, I believe the students were just starting finals, or hopefully preparing for them.  I guess the handful of Pep Band members is better than none but those few are sure a let down from what it used to be. I will say they are consistent...still playing music 20 years old, or at least it seems that way.  There just has to be a way to improve that particular game-day experience.  I wish I knew what is would be.
40 spectators not 40%.

At least it is up.

vufan75

Quote from: valpo64 on December 17, 2019, 04:08:34 PM
Regarding the Pep Band kudos to the young men and women who show up to play and cheer. The solution to a larger pep band can't be that difficult. Somebody in the Athletic Dept should call the Loyola AD and ask how they handle their pep band. Private school and they have made it work for them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

M

Or make calls to the local high school band directors and see if any of their students would want to help fill it out. Give them a gold VU shirt an extra ticket or two for a parent(s) and no-one will know the difference.