• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 9 - @ Eastern Michigan Dec 3 6pm ESPN3.

Started by talksalot, November 28, 2019, 09:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Our defensive FG% and 3Pt% have been really bad this year, especially when compared to previous seasons.  Not sure what the problem is, as this is a talented and athletic team.

I doubt that EMU will continue with 59% FG and 56% from 3point land in the second half.  We need to be ready and make some runs.

SanityLost17

I think D. Clay could be a big answer for Valpo against any team who plays zone against us.  Big body with a bounce that will only get better and has shown flashes of being able to hit the midrange shot.  Has had several really good plays being the guy who gets the ball at the free throw line to break up the zone.

NativeCheesehead

We'll probably be playing the will he or won't he transfer game with JFL every year.  (My guess is he's a grad transfer) But if he stays all four he's an all time Valpo great.

FieldGoodie05

I'm pleased with the effort but wonder if we don't put ourselves in bad defensive position going for all these steals?  Sorta live by die by...

NativeCheesehead

EMU isn't going to win this game.  But Valpo is going to lose it.

valpotx

Another candidate for worst loss of the last 20 seasons.  EMU is regularly one of the worst basketball programs in the country, and I didn't see anything today that would tell me that they won't be bottom of the MAC.  Bad loss, up there with UC-Riverside from a few seasons back.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on December 03, 2019, 06:50:31 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 03, 2019, 06:41:36 PM
How is Kiser the only Valpo defender who prevents most dribble drives?

They're playing Spanish defense. ¡Olé!

Sorolla transfers and now we play Spanish defense?

PlumStreetBum

EMU was picked to finish second to last in the MAC. I fear this is one of those Bad Losses that you read about.

bbtds

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on December 03, 2019, 07:59:10 PM
EMU was picked to finish second to last in the MAC. I fear this is one of those Bad Losses that you read about.

And we were picked 9th in the Valley. With our poor defense at the rim, poor FT shooting and turnovers we didn't deserve a win.

nkvu

Nice to see them get back in the game and even take the lead for a while but just couldn't keep them down.  Too many mistakes and missed free throws in in crunch time. Hope to finish better against Central Michigan.

truth219

Freeman is a stud...after him the talent falls off a cliff. I'm not saying our crusaders don't hustle...they just aren't real talented.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

covufan

Tough to win games giving up FG of 61% and 3Pts of 56%.  For the season we are ranked 340th in defensive FG%.  Something needs to change.

NativeCheesehead

The Matt Lottich era has been defined by one 10 minute stretch every single game that makes you want to scream. The rest of the game is just whether or not we can overcome that. Most nights we cannot.

govalpogo

Quote from: govalpogo on December 03, 2019, 06:50:02 PM
Not good.  We know the team can go on runs and make comebacks...we'll see if they turn it around. 

Well...they did.  It's hard to believe that I'm saying they blew this game...but that's what I'm saying. 

valpolaw

Could you imagine if we didn't have JFL? Valpo is a one trick pony

Just Sayin

The coach is not doing a good job teaching defense. We are almost at the bottom in the conference. C'mon, we've got some athletes in there.

VUSL98

This game was lost in the first half on turnovers and in the second half when we couldn't put them away when we had the 66-62 lead.  The Sackey alley-opp attempt to JFL was stupidity. 

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

vok22

We are doomed. Freeman will be gone after this year if not then the year after leaving us with a few years developing him with nothing to show for it except some losing season. Clay will probably be gone too. We have a fantastic roster and a fantastic recruiting class coming in next year, but it doesn't matter. We have seen the same problems every year under lottich and they haven't been fixed, whether it was with a good roster or bad. The problem is that we get rid of the common denominator, coach lottich, then we also get rid of his recruiting. He's a great recruiter and I don't think anybody else would be able to get some of the talent he has gotten to come to a university that is sinking fast, has no students coming to the games, and fills 1/5 of the stadium. But he is not a good coach coach.

craftyrighthander

I haven't watched any games this year, and I get most of my intelligence through this board.  Some comments suggest lack of talent (after JFL) and some suggest coaching issues.  I have no idea.  Is the truth somewhere in the middle?  We have a long way to go until Arch Madness, so I will try to enjoy the ride.  As if we can do anything else.

vok22

Game preparedness has been awful. Have the roster to compete but consistently have have come out of the gate slow, played catch up the whole game, turned the ball over, and have looked bad on defense despite having the talent to be a good defensive team. Don't really know what the solution for this is at this point. Lottich has had 4 years to fix this and hasn't been able to. But if we get rid of him we lose the roster

EddieCabot

Despite the hard fought loss, I still love this team.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 03, 2019, 08:56:34 PM
Despite the hard fought loss, I still love this team.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's way too soon for gloom and doom.

oklahomamick

Vegas usually gives correct value on teams.  EMU was supposed to win by 2.  Valpo fans have expectations that we would win.  Vegas was more realistic and took the fanatic part out of the equation. 

No way this was anywhere close to as bad of a loss as UC-Riverside. 

I as a fan expect our program to beat EMU on the road.  Vegas who is more realistic did not.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: vok22 on December 03, 2019, 08:16:06 PM
We are doomed. Freeman will be gone after this year if not then the year after leaving us with a few years developing him with nothing to show for it except some losing season. Clay will probably be gone too. We have a fantastic roster and a fantastic recruiting class coming in next year, but it doesn't matter. We have seen the same problems every year under lottich and they haven't been fixed, whether it was with a good roster or bad. The problem is that we get rid of the common denominator, coach lottich, then we also get rid of his recruiting. He's a great recruiter and I don't think anybody else would be able to get some of the talent he has gotten to come to a university that is sinking fast, has no students coming to the games, and fills 1/5 of the stadium. But he is not a good coach coach.

Why do the gloom and doomers always come out of the woodwork now?