• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Paul Oren Appreciation Thread

Started by ValpoFan, March 10, 2020, 12:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

I think that it is fair to assume that Valpo fans have enjoyed a really exciting weekend. Most of the credit justifiably go to the MBB program (coaches, players, managers, etc...)
However, I personally feel that the weekend (starting on Thursday) was much more enjoyable because of the great work by Paul. His stories are always interesting (never written by reading a boxscore). He is always right there in the middle of the action, he asks exactly the right questions that fans want answers for, and most importantly, he creates amazing podcasts with great guests.

I, for one, really appreciate how Paul pours his heart and soul into his craft and I don't take his high-quality work for granted. 

VUGrad1314

Accordingly, let us show our appreciation by wishing Paul a very happy birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL and Thank you for all of the fine work you do covering our beloved team!

valpospartan

Happy birthday, Paul. I enjoy your stories and podcasts.

wh

Paul was masterful at the Bradley post game press conference Q and A.  He got 4 individuals, who would have preferred to be anywhere other than answering questions publicly about a heartbreaking, season-ending loss, to bare their souls about how they were feeling at that moment, what they were thinking at key moments in the game, their thoughts about what this year meant to them, etc., etc. His tone of voice was pitch perfect - soft, sensitive, empathetic.  He even made Javon comfortable enough to offer up that he plans to return next year.  That alone put to bed an issue that we as fans would have been fretting about for weeks. Undoubtedly, it was one of Paul's finest hours.  If I were teaching Journalism, this would be one of my "this is how you do it" demonstration videos.       

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VUBBFan

To all the above, YES! Besides his awesome coverage of VU and the region, he is always approachable, doesn't brush people off and listens to you. Makes you feel like you've been friends for life. 

Valpo89

He has certainly made people forget the "original" Paul. :)

talksalot

consumate professional.   and I can say that... and mean it.

Pgmado

You all are too kind. WH, you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

All that being said, any storyteller is only as good as the people who share their stories. Aaron and Brandon, Matt and Mary, and all the players. I'm grateful to them all for welcoming me in to their worlds.

Thank you all again. Here's hoping there are more stories to tell.