• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New student website for men's basketball... best coverage around

Started by mp91, November 01, 2011, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

It just launched yesterday, so new content is coming  in by the minute

extensive coverage, personal stories, in-depth analysis, this website is going to have it all... and most importantly, it's student run!!

Send suggestions... and check frequently, it will be updated almost daily

Augustana preview and Edwards/Broekhoff feature are just the beginning...

http://www.beyond-the-arc.com/

sectionee

Nice site guys!  Glad to see some students taking an interest in the team  :thumbsup:

vu72

What a great site!  Hope they continue to dig for stuff we're not going to get in the papers.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

You do know there's already a site out there known as "Beyond The Arc", right?

mp91

Yes stlVUfan, we know there is a website with a similar title... but, you may not have realized that this is a play on words ARC being not only the three-point line but also the Athletics Recreation Center, therefore it has a completely different connotation... we put dashes in the title to acknowledge a difference between websites

sectionee

mp91

haha... we thought that the play on words was pretty obvious, but since stlVUfan didn't get it, I figured I would just state the obvious

valpofan56

Quote from: mp91 on November 03, 2011, 07:51:48 AM
haha... we thought that the play on words was pretty obvious, but since stlVUfan didn't get it, I figured I would just state the obvious

StL is a pretty smart dude, I can all but guarantee you he got the play on words. He simply was reminding you that there was another site with the same name.

mp91

Well, it seemed like the best name available and, technically, it's not the same name for the website because our has hyphens in the title... but thanks for the input, we will make sure to distinguish ours from the other website in our marketing campaign

StlVUFan

http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/ was the URL I was searching in vain for yesterday.

Yes, I absolutely got the reference.

By the way, I wasn't being a copyright cop at all, just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.  I thought it might impact the traffic you'd receive, so I just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to come up with a different name.

No worries, though ;)

sectionee

Quote from: mp91 on March 08, 1974, 10:47:35 PMquote author=mp91 link=topic=368.msg5688#msg5688 date=1320328552]
thanks for the input, we will make sure to distinguish ours from the other website in our marketing campaign
but thanks for the input, we will make sure to distinguish ours from the other website in our marketing campaign
[/quote]

Wow, a marketing campaign! You students have some deep pockets!  Best of luck towards a successful run, and hopefully you can help fill up that student section on game days.

valpotx

Yes, try and get more students to the games!  Watching online it usually is 1/2 full or less.  I understand we haven't been as good the last few years, and guess I just got used to 4000+ every game when I was around, but still hold out hope that the crowds return!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

tommydee46

As long as no one challenges the NCAA, we will never know.    They said they would have a decision three weeks ago, and we are still waiting.
Not a trustworthy organization.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on November 03, 2011, 03:56:23 PM
Yes, try and get more students to the games!  Watching online it usually is 1/2 full or less.  I understand we haven't been as good the last few years, and guess I just got used to 4000+ every game when I was around, but still hold out hope that the crowds return!!

By all means, I too encourage the folks behind the new website to help get the students out.

I might say that there has been noticeable effort from the institutional types: IMC, Valparaizone, etc.

The dodgeball event that was mentioned here.  Some sort of t-shirt design contest.  A point system that rewards student attendance (with swag like Valpo gear and gift cards: Jimmy John's?  Papa John's?), etc.

I don't know if all of this type of thing was going in previous seasons, or not.

Hopefully it all comes together to make good, enthusiastic, crowds.