• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Ladies basketball

Started by jack, October 21, 2011, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Had an opportunity to catch a little of the ladies practice the other day and had a few observations. I liked the level of energy I saw from this group. There seems to be a more possitive attitude in the air then I've seen in the past. It's apparent the trip to China was a great bonding experiece. There seems to be some good chemistry working here. The addition of Komara to the staff appears to be a good choice as well. The incoming freshmen look to be adding a spark that's been missing. I'm looking forward to the start of the season. It could be a fun one to watch, and a step in the right direction to getting back to their winning ways. I believe the pre-season "experts" that have ranked them 9th in the conference have underestimated the talent and ability of this group. A better assesment of where they are headed will probably be made once conference games begin.
Good luck ladies.   

valpopal

Women win big over Huntington, 77-27!

mp91

Mallory Ladd was dominant... freshman look good

strong post presence and rebounding, we just need better shooting

valpotx

Incredible that she had a double-double in the first half!
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Looks like Ladd is picking up where she left off in High School and the All Star Squad. wished i could got by to see them in action. It looks like Coach Freeman is trying to get a good look at his freshman class. The box scores reflect quite a few minutes from the ladies that got in to play. I think he could have something special with this group.

vu72

I think the young players got the benefit, playing time wise, of having four players either injured or ineligible.  Imagine what the score could have been had Betsy Adams if she had been hitting form long range.

Interesting how a top 20 NAIA team got totally blown out.  Imagine it was quite a reality check!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I know that Freeman does not like playing FR much, but he better be playing Mallory Ladd solid minutes.  A first team all-state player in Indiana should get minutes, regardless of being a FR.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on November 02, 2011, 01:17:19 PM
I know that Freeman does not like playing FR much, but he better be playing Mallory Ladd solid minutes.  A first team all-state player in Indiana should get minutes, regardless of being a FR.

I agree with your thinking, however, the court could get crowded!  Players like Ashley Varner, Laura Richards, Gina Lange and Stefanie Lang are going to get plenty of action and none with First Team All State.  Now, if you give meaningful minutes to our First Team Indiana All Staters, then you have to play Jessica Carr, Betsy Adams, Tabitha Gerardot, Meagan Callaway and, Mallory Ladd.

Somethings got to give!  Nice problem to have but more pressure to perform for Freeman with this much talent on board.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

Quote from: vu72 on November 02, 2011, 02:10:47 PM
I know that Freeman does not like playing FR much, but he better be playing Mallory Ladd solid minutes.  A first team all-state player in Indiana should get minutes, regardless of being a FR.

I agree with your thinking, however, the court could get crowded!  Players like Ashley Varner, Laura Richards, Gina Lange and Stefanie Lang are going to get plenty of action and none with First Team All State.  Now, if you give meaningful minutes to our First Team Indiana All Staters, then you have to play Jessica Carr, Betsy Adams, Tabitha Gerardot, Meagan Callaway and, Mallory Ladd.

Somethings got to give!  Nice problem to have but more pressure to perform for Freeman with this much talent on board.
Stephanie Lang probably won't play until very late in the season....she has a back problem, plus the ACL she was rehabbing when she hurt her back.  I look for her to redshirt

jack

Quote from: vu72 on November 02, 2011, 02:10:47 PM

Absolutely a much better problem to have then the problems of the recent past. I think the bar has been raised, but I also like the talent pool he has to draw from. plenty of scorers in this group, plus a few players that excel in dishing the ball to the players in scoring possition. Should be fun watching this group grow and learn.

valpotx

Wow, didn't realize we had that many first-team all-state people!  You would think with that talent, as long as we can blend them in with a strategy, they would be successful this year....
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on November 02, 2011, 12:41:01 PM
I think the young players got the benefit, playing time wise, of having four players either injured or ineligible.  Imagine what the score could have been had Betsy Adams if she had been hitting form long range.

Interesting how a top 20 NAIA team got totally blown out.  Imagine it was quite a reality check!

Perhaps we are also seeing a benefit of the China trip that allowed this team to come together as a group earlier than might otherwise have happened.

sectionee

That is quite a game.  Might have to check out a ladies game or two. 

jack

Quote from: valpopal on November 02, 2011, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: vu72 on November 02, 2011, 12:41:01 PM

Perhaps we are also seeing a benefit of the China trip that allowed this team to come together as a group earlier than might otherwise have happened.

That was my belief as well. I heard as lot of good feedback and some great stories about the trip. There seems to be a chemistry this year that was lacking in the past few. I also see an energy that this 2011 group brings to the table that appears to be contageous. The coaching staff has a lot to work with this season. I'd have to believe the chalenge is on them to put the right combo on the floor at any given time.

valpotx

This Mallory Ladd is having a great start to her career on the exhibition side...currently 19 pts and 17 rbs!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Monster game at 23 pts/19 rbs...also a double-double for Varner.  A lot of missed shots to allow us 63 rbs!
"Don't mess with Texas"

RS

Mallory Ladd seems unbelievable. Hope someone in the know can give some information why Betsy Adams, Ashley Timmerman, Charae Richardson and Ieva Jansone haven't played yet. I know about S. Lang being injured but what are the issues with the other players.

valpopal

Women win a tight one, 65-62. However, the real story is Mallory Ladd. In her first two games she has 41 points (17-27 shooting) and 36 rebounds in 50 minutes of play, an average of 20.5 pts. and 18 rebs. off the bench. Even though she is a freshman, she looks like an all-conference player.

rlh

Quote from: RS on November 05, 2011, 03:31:04 PM
Mallory Ladd seems unbelievable. Hope someone in the know can give some information why Betsy Adams, Ashley Timmerman, Charae Richardson and Ieva Jansone haven't played yet. I know about S. Lang being injured but what are the issues with the other players.
Timmerman and Adams are hurt, Richardson has to set out a year and Jansone has to set out a semester, or vice versa.....

valpotx

The name escapes me, but Ladd is putting up numbers similar to a girl at ORU when I was in school.  I remember the ORU player averaging a double-double, and would every now and then pull down some 15-20 rbs.
"Don't mess with Texas"