• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Missouri St 1/15 4 pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 15, 2022, 05:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

After getting the halftime lead down to 8, we decide that isn't a great enough deficit from which to make a comeback, so now the deficit is 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chairback

Mosley gets away with some extra steps frequently.

Gordon should not be in anymore. 

VUSWIM08-12

Put in someone who can afford to foul  Mosley , get a body on him , wear him out !

Chairback

Gordon a great pass to Dot Nuechterlein at the 3:10 mark.

mj

That was pathetic. Remember how this was touted as a "veteran" team? Ugh.
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

I agree that Mosley gets away with extra steps fairly frequently, but is so smooth in his transitions, that I don't think that the refs see it in real time.  Regardless, he is a team by himself on offense, and they just have to play good enough defense each game, in order to win.

I am not quite there, like several of you are, but I am getting closer to the Fire Lottich group.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Lottich  is a good person but he has to be on the hot seat.

vok22

There is no way forward with this program that involves Lottich. I know Homer struggled his first five years too, and I wasn't alive to see that so I can't speak to that. But even by year 6 he had a 20 win season. We are already on year 6 with Lottich and are nowhere near that benchmark. It's like watching a Y men's league team. No structure on offense.

valpolaw

I remember being at the Missouri state/valpo bracket buster game in 2011 when Dickie V called it at the Arc. That was a hell of a time and the place was rocking. Comparing that to this blowout loss in an empty gym shows just how pitiful it has become under Lottich.

valpopal

[Trigger warning for those opposed to negative comments]

W-L.  GB

Valparaiso   1-5    3.5
Evansville    0-4    3.5

Valpo is now tied for last place. Have we finally reached the breaking point?

Chairback

I was at my breaking point when we lost to 2 D2 teams.  But remember when we all said it was a fluke and will prepare us better for conference play.....

oklahomamick

Ok take the name Matt Lottich out of it.  Just some numbers. 

Also it was said that we have the players to win against anyone.....so what gives?  There has to be an x factor in there. 

W-L.  GB

Valparaiso   1-5    3.5
Evansville    0-4    3.5

Valpo is now tied for last place. Have we finally reached the breaking point?
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

While the coach likely needs to go just to go in a different direction, I still don't see the "talent" this roster is supposed to have. A grouping of bit players all of whom are extremely inconsistent from one game to the next. That's part of the reason they were bit players elsewhere.

That said, a different coach will hopefully change that.

vok22

Quote from: Chairback on January 15, 2022, 06:41:26 PM
I was at my breaking point when we lost to 2 D2 teams.  But remember when we all said it was a fluke and will prepare us better for conference play.....

I admit I still had optimism at that point, but am WELL past that now. I really don't understand how somebody can stand by and still defend Lottich, or really any of this program, at this point. No public facility upgrades, seemingly content with mediocrity (and I am generous calling it that), little to stir public interest. It is like they took the invitation to there MVC and thought that was the pinnacle of success and they can just coast now. It really does seem to me that Padilla does recognize the importance of a successful flagship sports program. In Valpos case, that is mens basketball. I really hope that he takes the necessary actions in the offseason to put us back in the right direction. Evaluating the stability of MLBs and subsequently MLs jobs, as well as launching  plans for arc renovations, would be a good starting point.

I am starting to think we are nearing a point of no return, and quickly. Being only 6 years removes from our "glory days", we still have some some connections with quality candidates that might favor taking a job here for personal reasons. I am thinking Jake Diebler and Greg Tonagel. While I would need to see more on both candidates, I think both are qualified to be in the discussion for a head coaching job at this level. If we were to hit reset this offseason on the coaching position, we could still make a run at both of those candidates. I fear that waiting too long and even they will have been claimed (although I doubt Tonagel is going anywhere, unless Valpo asks). We will have been left in the dust with merely a bad job, bad facilities, no recent success, and no good direct connections looking to go into coaching. I don't want to settle for an uninspiring candidate, and I fear that anybody outside of the Valpo circle is already looking at this job with apathy.

usc4valpo

If a new coach is required, get the best coach for the job. No need to be restricted within the Valpo family. Who knows if Tonegal is ideal for the job, perhaps if he were such a wonderful candidate he wouldn't be coaching in NAIA for such an extended time.

nkvu

Didn't bother to watch this game as the Bengals were on at the same time, and wonder of wonders, one of my teams won. (Hint: it wasn't Valpo). Checked the Valpo score a couple of times and was glad I made the right choice.

I heard somewhere that the opposite of love isn't hate. It's indifference. Got to say after following Valpo since the sweet sixteen run got this alums attention in 98, I'm headed in the indifference direction.

vok22

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2022, 07:39:04 PM
If a new coach is required, get the best coach for the job. No need to be restricted within the Valpo family. Who knows if Tonegal is ideal for the job, perhaps if he were such a wonderful candidate he wouldn't be coached in NAIA for such an extended time.

I don't disagree. Just saying we MIGHT have a few good options in the Valpo family that won't be availiable forever, especially Diebler. The reason I value that is because I am concerned that Valpo is not a desirable job for anybody outside of the Valpo family. Why would it be? Some of the worst facilities in D1 and dwindling history of recent success. Both of those show lack of investment in the program. If I am a desired D1 coaching candidate with no connection to the school, I am probably crossing them off the list.

usc4valpo

I love Valpo basketball, I hate accepting mediocrity. I think Matt is a great person, a dude who would be a great neighbor,  but the results are not there. I  am certain he feels the same.

valpo tundra

I can't speak for MLB, who has been here a long time, but before the Loyola game President Padilla literally said, "Valpo Athletics being mediocre is unacceptable".

NativeCheesehead

USC,

You speak to one of the reasons why I'm still proud to be a Valpo fan. Plenty of (justified) criticism of Matt Lottich the coach, and not a single negative word of Matt Lottich the man. Wherever he ends up I will be rooting for him to succeed.

Tundra,

I'm going to take a page from our opponents from the "Show Me" state and say when it comes to our new prez, he's gonna have to show me. Heckler said all the right things too.

justducky

Quote from: JD24 on January 15, 2022, 06:58:04 PMI still don't see the "talent" this roster is supposed to have.

I'm seeing plenty who can score but the defense and rebounding have been a major disappointments. Also those who thought Thomas and Ben would complement each other either on defense or offense seem sadly to be mistaken. The triple K of King, Kithier, and Krikke is also far more bust than boom. We need change and we need it now. How do we adjust for Northern Iowa? Can Matt find a way to keep us in that game?

AlaskaCrusader19

I hope that President Padilla is serious enough about athletics to realize how bad of shape this program is in. Sure, bringing in Big Ten transfers is great, but only two of them even remotely move the needle. Lottich had his nice run in the 2020 MVC Tournament, but past that, it's been a whole lot of nothing.

oklahomamick

Nativecheeshead said it best.

I will root for Matt where ever he lands.  Our previous president said all the right things about Valpo athletics and never delivered.  Both right on the money. 

For the ones that continue to defend the current performance or performance over the last 6 years.....You have lost a lot of credibility and your posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 
CRUSADERS!!!

mj

Lottich is now 91-88 at Valpo over the last 6 years.

But, take out his first season (24-9) and his record is really 67-79.

But those 67 wins include 8  "wins" over Trinity, East-West, and other type of programs.

Take those out and we're left with a 59-79 record against Division 1 play over the past five years.
I believe that we will win.