• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the decision be?

Started by may know, March 02, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will there be a change at HC?

Yes
8 (38.1%)
No
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 05, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Valpo1993

Looks Iike Georgetown is close to a deal with a new coach.   Lottich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chgovalpofan

I think the best situation is if a higher major hires Matt as an assistant coach and he leaves voluntary.  I don't think he will be offered a head job at this point.  And Valpo can't afford to terminate his contract.   Best future bet for Matt is to find a position as a high level assistant.

4throwfan

Ideally, all of the coaches would receive offers from other universities so that their new salary would off-set buy-outs.

Maybe new positions are being explored now, and that's what is going on behind the scenes.

VU2014

Quote from: chgovalpofan on March 21, 2023, 08:16:36 AM
I think the best situation is if a higher major hires Matt as an assistant coach and he leaves voluntary.  I don't think he will be offered a head job at this point.  And Valpo can't afford to terminate his contract.   Best future bet for Matt is to find a position as a high level assistant.

He definitely is not leaving a HC position to become an assistant at a P5. A) that's not in his nature to quit, B) he might not make the same money as an assistant Coach. Everyone assumes all big school assistants make hundreds of thousands of dollars but from my understanding it varies greatly between programs.

Just Sayin

VULB#62

ORU invests less than Valpo in its BB program. This guy can coach.  He'll do well at WSU.

JD24

Ed Cooley to Georgetown, Rick Pitino to St. John's, Tobin Anderson to Iona, Mike Brey to South Florida.

Valpo searching for someone to pass the tin cup.

David81

WTH? Rick Pitino, a supreme bum of a human being, has more lives than a litter of cats. (I had to stop myself from typing "cat litter.") Sheesh.

AB

If you win, you get a second chance. Bruce Pearl, Kelvin Sampson, Mark Godfried, Will Wade etc...The Guy is a Freakn Phoenix! I guess you could say he got a punishment. Was outta coaching for a minute, went over seas and now is back at his second Catholic institution in the NY Metro area. Maybe Louisville Kentucky has a more exotic night life than in Queens, NY resulting in more liberal recruiting practices by his coaching staff! That must be it.

JD24

Quote from: JD24 on March 21, 2023, 11:09:44 PMEd Cooley to Georgetown, Rick Pitino to St. John's, Tobin Anderson to Iona, Mike Brey to South Florida. Valpo searching for someone to pass the tin cup.
Mike Brey is not going to South Florida. Some bad reports on that one. He's still available for Valpo.

elephtheria47

Brey said hes pursuing tv for a year

oklahomamick

ORU has invested a lot in the program.  This is not the ORU of the Mid-con days.  They keep adding wings to the Mabee Center. 

ORU hired within.  We shall see. 

I would be perfectly happy with having a really good coach and him leaving in 4-5 years.  As mid-majors we should expect that.  As mid-majors if your coach isn't getting poached, then your program isn't doing well.  Matt isn't getting poached. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Maybe some D-2 programs would be interested if they know that ML is sitting on a hot seat and he gets let go or leaves on his own.

NotBryceDrew

If Lottich "has" to stay for some wild reasons his contract at the very least better be restructured so next year is his last season.

valpo95

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on March 23, 2023, 03:37:29 PM
If Lottich "has" to stay for some wild reasons his contract at the very least better be restructured so next year is his last season.

The point of having a contract is that the terms of employment are clear for both sides. A re-structuring like this would only occur if there is some sort of benefit to Coach Lottich, like "we'll give you a $100,000 raise next year, yet Valpo can terminate the contract at the end of the year without an additional buyout." Or, "We'll add a $250,000 bonus for winning the MVC tournament, yet your future buyout is reduced by 50% at the end of the 2023-24 season." Otherwise, there is no reason for any coach to restructure.

Note that this is different than re-structuring a contract of an athlete, say in football. In that case, it is often shifting more guaranteed money forward, or the player taking pay cut now to avoid being cut from the roster entirely. Or,  a player agrees to defer non-guaranteed salary in order for the team to sign a top free agent that will make the team much better. The big difference is that most football contracts are year to year and are not guaranteed.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NotBryceDrew

may know