• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofan11

If Valpo wants to go local for the one scholarship for next year, 6'9 Josh James from Andrean who can shoot and play inside, and averaged around 13-15 ppg, or 6'3 Nick Bollenbacher from Hanover Central who averaged 25 ppg and drives to the bucket a lot.

humbleopinion

Bollenbacher would have to have a change of attitude to play at Valpo -- and I doubt that he'd have a lot to contribute on the court at D1 level.
Beamin' Beacons

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpofan11 on March 11, 2012, 08:29:38 PM
If Valpo wants to go local for the one scholarship for next year, 6'9 Josh James from Andrean who can shoot and play inside, and averaged around 13-15 ppg, or 6'3 Nick Bollenbacher from Hanover Central who averaged 25 ppg and drives to the bucket a lot.

And we'll continue to not make the big dance.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: hoopfan22 on March 12, 2012, 08:37:30 AM

And we'll continue to not make the big dance.

So he will be the one to put us over the top? I'm not so sure about that.

Crusader03

Leke Solanke over either.

Valpo89

I'm sure all three are fine young men, but none of them would help VU get to the NCAA Tournament.

Crusader03

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 12, 2012, 07:54:40 PM
I'm sure all three are fine young men, but none of them would help VU get to the NCAA Tournament.

LOL

Tell us...who should VU recruit with this year's open scholarship that will get them to the NCAA tournament? 

wh

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 12, 2012, 09:41:50 PM

Nothing against these H.S guys (don't know anything about them) but with so many Seniors on next year's team, I'm guessing that Bryce and Co. will be looking closely at JC players and potential transfers to bridge the experience gap.

LOL

Tell us...who should VU recruit with this year's open scholarship that will get them to the NCAA tournament? 

Crusader03

Quote from: wh on March 12, 2012, 10:31:30 PM

Nothing against these H.S guys (don't know anything about them) but with so many Seniors on next year's team, I'm guessing that Bryce and Co. will be looking closely at JC players and potential transfers to bridge the experience gap.

LOL

Wh...you are probably right to an extent...I'm sure Bryce will have a nice mix of transfers to go along with plenty of young guns.

setshot

Let's bring in the "young guns" namely Cantor,McCarthy and Ryan. We need to clean house. ::)

Valpo89

LOL
[/quote]
Brad Karp.
He's proven he can play in college, averaging 24 ppg at St. Xavier. He's been the national NAIA Player of the Week TWICE. Was named to some sort of national all-academic team. Also averages almost double figures in rebounds. He's grown to 6-5, taller than his playing days at Valpo High School. I think he would love the opportunity to prove he can play in Division I, especially at VU. He would have to sit out a year, then have two years eligibility starting when he turns 22 years old and after VU loses about six seniors.

covufan

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 13, 2012, 01:09:47 PMBrad Karp.
He's proven he can play in college, averaging 24 ppg at St. Xavier. He's been the national NAIA Player of the Week TWICE. Was named to some sort of national all-academic team. Also averages almost double figures in rebounds. He's grown to 6-5, taller than his playing days at Valpo High School. I think he would love the opportunity to prove he can play in Division I, especially at VU. He would have to sit out a year, then have two years eligibility starting when he turns 22 years old and after VU loses about six seniors.
Interesting!

lowposter

I am a big Brad Karp fan.  Watched him this winter.  Absolutely a stud on the floor.  Similar to Matt Kenney in athletisim, probably a better 3 point shooter.  Scored 28 against Notre Dame this year.

NAIA player of the week 2 times in February.  This young man can play.

valpopal

Out of high school, Karp had been invited to be a walk on at Valpo, which he was going to accept until a last-minute scholarship opening at St. Xavier was offered to him. Otherwise, he would already be on the team. He is a very dedicated and hard working player. My understanding is that Karp and Valpo still could be a perfect match. As someone else mentioned, Karp would sit next year but would be ideal the following year when all those seniors graduate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce chose to offer this fellow former VHS Viking the open scholarship. 

justducky

Tonight in the Miami loss we got our first good look at the 3, 4, and 5 play of Broekhoff, Edwards, and Van Wijk all on the floor at the same time. We will no doubt see a lot of that next year and with the depth of big men it should prove very successful. But because we will often be either forced to or elect to go-small we may well need to pick up another guard in order to make the kind of 2012-13 run that many of us are now expecting. We should not go into next season with more usable bigs than we have guards and small forewards.

Part of this issue takes us back to the Tommy Kurth question. What is wrong? Will or can it be addressed? Will he once again be capable of providing us with the solid 10 minutes off the bench that we so desperately needed tonight? If not then a hard decision will have to be made because we need another body that we can throw in there. We saw against Detroit how thin the rotation is when somebody gets into early foul trouble (Boggs). We  also saw against Detroits quickness and pressure 4 turnovers by Harris (all I believe off the dribble) and 5 turnovers by Bogan ( mostly bad passes). Jay as yet has failed to convince me that he will ever be able to reach that 1.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio that coaches desire from their point guard. So if any of you know of any lightning quick lock down defenders who can handle the ball with few turnovers and would be eligible to play next season then that might be just the guy we need. If he can pressure and defend then distribute the ball on the offensive end then I wouldn't care if he has the worst jump shot in the history of the game.

I know this would likely mean that this recruit (jr-college perhaps) might see very little playing time next year, but tonights game was the perfect example that you can almost never have too much depth. With one more guard tonight we might well have advanced  in the NIT. Next year lets not get bumped from the NCAA for a similar reason.

valpotx

Speaking of playing time, are we going to lose any current players because of the lack of such a thing next year?  Hopefully not!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

I don't like to speculate on this sort of thing, but something happened at the IUPUI game with Kurth.  I don't know what, but he was about to check in then got called back or maybe just refused and Shelton went in to commit the foul.  I wouldn't be surprised if he left or was Cam Witted.  Whether he stays or ends up out I wish him nothing but the best.

vu72

Hadn't thought about the Kurth situation for some time.  Clearly he was third on the depth chart but with Harris out why didn't he play at all?  Buggs played 40 minutes.  Either there is a health issue or he has done something to be black balled by the coach.  Homer always said he really liked Tommy's "toughness" and he would be missed while sitting out the injury year.  Doesn't make sense, particularly last night with the short bench. Something is up.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Not sure where this should go, so I'll just post it here.  Davidson and Yeo have both been named to the Junior All Star team that will face the Indiana All Star team in the "North" exhibition game.  I don't believe a game location has been announced yet.  Congrats to them both.  They don't mention Davidson as a Valpo commit, but assume it's just an oversight on the writer's part.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120322/SPORTS02/120322022/Indiana-Junior-All-Star-team-chosen-by-IBCA-panel?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

historyman

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 22, 2012, 09:54:22 AM
Not sure where this should go, so I'll just post it here.  Davidson and Yeo have both been named to the Junior All Star team that will face the Indiana All Star team in the "North" exhibition game.  I don't believe a game location has been announced yet.  Congrats to them both.  They don't mention Davidson as a Valpo commit, but assume it's just an oversight on the writer's part.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120322/SPORTS02/120322022/Indiana-Junior-All-Star-team-chosen-by-IBCA-panel?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

One thing we know for sure is that it won't be held at an NCAA institution. Valpo, ND, Purdue, etc. are all out of the running.

bbtds

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120322/SPORTS02/120322022/Indiana-Junior-All-Star-team-chosen-by-IBCA-panel

One has to wonder if Neddenriep knows about anything north of US 30. Triton being about 1 mile south of US 30.

IndyValpo

I have pointed this oversight out, and the article has been updated to include Davidson's committment.

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2012, 10:30:31 AMOne thing we know for sure is that it won't be held at an NCAA institution. Valpo, ND, Purdue, etc. are all out of the running.
I really want to know what the criteria is for the NCAA decisions on these playing venues.  Are they allowing exceptions for the IHSAA?  Girl's State tournament games were held in Indiana State's arena yet they disallowed the use of campus facilities for things like holiday tournament and the like.  If the facility doubles as a community facility and university home court is that ok??  Examples would be the Memorial Coliseum here in Fort Wayne or the Ford Center in Evansville.  If these facilities are not allowed to host tournaments then this is a big blow to many communities, and if they are then how can the NCAA discriminate between on campus and off campus sites?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

From the Indiana Reruiting Guide
Class of 2013 Prospects

15.  Nick Davidson:  6'4" Shooting Guard, Andrean H.S.
Committed:  Valparaiso University
One of the best shooters in the state, especially when catching and shooting.  Nick also gets to the foul line a lot, where he is a very good free throw shooter.  Not exceptionally quick which holds him back some on the defensive end, but his offensive abilities make him a nice prospect.
18.  Clay Yeo:  6'5" Shooting Guard, Triton H.S.
Committed:  Valparaiso University
Very athletic and a good ball handler.  Kind of a sleeper around the state because he attends a very small high school and had to miss the AAU season due to a knee injury.  As he packs on some weight his game is really going to take off. I think he is a good "steal" for Valpo.

http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2013/

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 22, 2012, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2012, 10:30:31 AMOne thing we know for sure is that it won't be held at an NCAA institution. Valpo, ND, Purdue, etc. are all out of the running.
I really want to know what the criteria is for the NCAA decisions on these playing venues.  Are they allowing exceptions for the IHSAA?  Girl's State tournament games were held in Indiana State's arena yet they disallowed the use of campus facilities for things like holiday tournament and the like.  If the facility doubles as a community facility and university home court is that ok??  Examples would be the Memorial Coliseum here in Fort Wayne or the Ford Center in Evansville.  If these facilities are not allowed to host tournaments then this is a big blow to many communities, and if they are then how can the NCAA discriminate between on campus and off campus sites?
My guess is that the Girls HS state tournament schedule was in place before the NCAA issued it's ruling. I think Indiana State coaches are the ones who suffer the most because monies were paid out and venues could not be changed easily. The ISU coaches probably had to vacate their facilities during the state tournament times. That is a complete guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see the IHSAA Girls BB tournament change venues in the next few years.