• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

One-On-One with Ben Boggs

Started by mp91, December 14, 2011, 10:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Check out our new feature on shooting guard Ben Boggs:

http://www.beyond-the-arc.com/

vu72

Thanks for doing the interview.  Can't wait to see him play.  I really think we all will be surprised by what he will add to this already pretty good team.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Boggs might not even be able to play Saturday.  After learning from my mistakes, please make sure you do these interviews after going through the proper people first.  That being said, it is good to hear from him and we are all anxiously waiting his arrival on the court.

valpopal

I believe Boggs can play on Saturday only if his fall semester grades are all officially recorded by midnight Friday. Fall semester grades are not required to be recorded until noon on Monday.

valpotx

I would really hope that our athletic department imparts onto his professors the need to at least get his grades in ASAP.  Knowing how much we were monitored while I was in school, I imagine they are very much on top of this.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mp91

sectionee Don't worry,  we went through the proper channels to get the information... we are not stupid

ben did not seem at all concerned about the possibility of not playing and was quite clear that it was a near definite that he was going to play

obviously, there is always a chance that something could happen or that grades may not be properly submitted, but our readers are rather intelligent and understand that there is always the possibility of something going awry

but barring a catastrophe, he is playing

sectionee

Easy big fella no one called you stupid. Just trying to help since the proper channels emailed me this am saying you hadn't. I like the student prospective you provide. Kep up the stellar work.

mp91

It's all good, we appreciate it... but I mean, if the coaching staff (who essentially said it was "almost" 100%) or Ben himself aren't the proper channels... then we don't know who is

all of B.T.A's readers can ensure that our information is thorough and conducted professionally...

we felt it was obvious that there are some factors that could potentially prevent him from playing but since the likelihood was so small that "ifs" & "maybes" need not be included

but once again, we appreciate your concern, we just wanted to emphasize that we would never compromise the team, the players, or the program's reputation by not respecting protocol... we are professionals, our readers can be ensured

sectionee

Proper channels is Aaron Leavitt in media relations.  They might even issue you a press pass if you don't already have one.  I was accused of stuff earlier in the fall and I don't want that to happen to you guys that is the only reason I brought that up.  See you Saturday.

mp91

We know Aaron and had been simply been communicating with the basketball department who we continually communicate with for campus publications and the campus radio station, but getting one from Mr. Leavitt as a backup makes sense... thanks for the tip

valpopal

Okay, just an observation: I get it that you want to consider yourselves "professionals," but there was a slight contradiction in the report. The opening sentence correctly stated: "Ben Boggs will likely make his debut," which suggested a possibility he might not. A reader would expect some explanation why the word "likely" was inserted. However, nowhere in the rest of the article was there mention why it was only likely, and the piece was written as if there were no doubt about him playing in the game: "While taking the floor for the first time in a Crusader uniform on Saturday, Boggs has no concerns over jelling with his teammates on the hardwood"; "You can catch Boggs' Valpo debut against Oakland Saturday at 7:05 here at the ARC."

mp91

valpopal:

we chose not to include "likely" because we felt that the circumstances of him not playing were too minute to even mention... so, we wrote as if it was definite he was playing, obviously, there could be a random circumstance that could arise, however it is an extremely low percentage; therefore, that is why you will not find any reference of "likely" in the article

lowposter

Nice report and great constructive analysis.

Let's hope he sees the court Saturday night.

lowposter

valpopal

Quote from: mp91 on December 16, 2011, 10:21:06 AM
valpopal:

we chose not to include "likely" because we felt that the circumstances of him not playing were too minute to even mention... so, we wrote as if it was definite he was playing, obviously, there could be a random circumstance that could arise, however it is an extremely low percentage; therefore, that is why you will not find any reference of "likely" in the article

But you did include "likely": there is a reference to "likely" in the original article's first sentence, which I quoted: "Ben Boggs will likely make his debut." As someone who worked for a couple decades as an editor, I can tell you this is something an editor would say needs clarification; even if you think the chances of his not playing were minimal, you can't begin the article with the word "likely" and then ignore that statement the rest of the piece. Please go back and read your own article to see, unlike your claim, there is inclusion of "likely."

Just some "professional" advice; otherwise, I think you guys are doing a very good job!

PS: I just noticed you've gone back, edited the article, and taken out the word "likely." I think you would have been better to leave it in and explain in one sentence why there is a chance Boggs possibly might not play, since you do know from your reporting that the chance exists.

agibson

For that matter, from the traffic on this board, it's not entirely clear to me what _does_ have to happen to allow him to be eligible Saturday.  Does it rely on him?  Professors?  NCAA?  None of this necessarily needs to be explained in a piece like this - but a bit of investigative effort here might go (or have gone) over well with your readers.

valpopal

Paul Jankowski reports the status with Boggs...

The big news centers around the expected appearance of transfer Ben Boggs. It's possible the 6-foot-4 junior guard, who was a midterm transfer from Virginia Tech, will make his Crusader debut. Drew said a final decision was to be made late Friday night, when paperwork is completed related to final exams and the end of the semester. The odds are Boggs will play this season instead of redshirting. "We still have to get some things finalized with him," Drew said. "If everything works out, just normal paper work, he'll probably play (today). I think he's excitied.

valpopal

I haven't seen it mentioned on the Forum, but with walk-on Griff Carpenter no longer on the team to help fill out the bench, and apparently leaving VU, the team needs Boggs even more this next semester.

sectionee

What did everyone think of Boggs?  Looks like he will be expected to be a big contributor seeing as he played 25 minutes tonight.  He looks like a better shooting/less athletic version of Matt Kenney.  I liked that he wasn't shy about shooting and that he had some quick success with that long range shot. 

valpotx

Is he strictly a SG, or can he play some PG as well?  I do like that he appears to be a better shooter than Kenney, even with not being as athletic.  It allows us to have a change of pace when he is in for Matt.
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

I like some of what I saw, especially the ability to knock down shots on the perimeter.  He seemed to be a little out of sync at times on offense and defense, but I suspect that is due to being out of game action for a year.  I think he will definitely be a solid contributor.  I look forward to seeing how he does over the next few games.  He has also picked up well on the time honored tradition here at Valpo of hitting only 1 out of 2 free throws.