• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fickle fan meta-poll

Started by humbleopinion, October 06, 2023, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How soon will a negative post about Coach Powell receive support (like/statement of agreement)?

Before January 1, 2024
8 (38.1%)
Before Arch Madness 2024
6 (28.6%)
At the closing of the transfer portal 2024
1 (4.8%)
Before January 1, 2025
1 (4.8%)
At the end of Arch Madness 2025
1 (4.8%)
After Arch Madness 2025
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 05, 2023, 07:22:59 AM

humbleopinion

There are high expectations for Coach Powell and praise for him to date. Realistically this year's team is likely to dwell in the bottom of the MVC. Still this forum isn't known for patience. I expect that for some fans his luster will fade as the team struggles.

When do you expect the naysayers to appear?
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

"Naysayer" is a highly subjective term. So is "negative." All coaches, even the best in the business, will make a decision during a game that might be a mistake at the time and open to criticism. Observers can be critical of that decision, but is that considered being a naysayer for the purposes of this poll?  Or must it be negativity that is directly about Roger, himself? 

Examples of the former:  "he didn't call time out quick enough" or "he shouldn't have substituted out the guy with the hot hand"

Examples of the latter:  "he's a terrible coach" or "he never fights for his players"

Depending on which of these interpretations is used would govern my response to this particular poll. I'm thinking it has to be the latter, because normal critiques are just a part of the game.

EDIT:  Duh, BTW, this is not a poll on Roger; it's really a poll on us 😜

humbleopinion

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2023, 09:19:16 AM
"Naysayer" is a highly subjective term. So is "negative." All coaches, even the best in the business, will make a decision during a game that might be a mistake at the time and open to criticism. Observers can be critical of that decision, but is that considered being a naysayer for the purposes of this poll?  Or must it be negativity that is directly about Roger, himself? 

Examples of the former:  "he didn't call time out quick enough" or "he shouldn't have substituted out the guy with the hot hand"

Examples of the latter:  "he's a terrible coach" or "he never fights for his players"

Depending on which of these interpretations is used would govern my response to this particular poll. I'm thinking it has to be the latter, because normal critiques are just a part of the game.

EDIT:  Duh, BTW, this is not a poll on Roger; it's really a poll on us 😜

Yes, it's a poll  on us.  It would require something like the latter of your examples or statements to the effect that he was a bad hire.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

If wins are few and far between during OOC play, especially if we suffer some blow outs, criticisms will likely be fast and furious among certain posters. I'm looking at you, Mick. lol

justducky

Quote from: wh on October 06, 2023, 02:27:12 PM
If wins are few and far between during OOC play, especially if we suffer some blow outs, criticisms will likely be fast and furious among certain posters. I'm looking at you, Mick. lol

I think our fan base will exceed your expectations and that includes Mick.  :).  We are much more likely to have a great season as fans than our players have as a raw and reinvented MVC team.

Chairback

I would say the fans on this board were more than patient with ML.

And it wasn't just the fans on this board that were naysayers, general fans stop coming to games. 

All Division I coaches have high expectations placed on them.   They are very hard jobs to get, and even harder to keep. 

I look at this season as a start of progress.  Will we win it all or be in the top of the standings this year, no, probably not.   But we are in a better place than we were at the end of last year.  A lot better place.

I have been going to games since I was in the first grade.  I was done after last season.  There's no way I could have watched another year of that.

usc4valpo

Valpo fans are very patient, sometimes too patient.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 06, 2023, 08:11:31 PM
And sometimes luckily so. Just think if the fans and administration weren't patient with Homer, especially after the first four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wh

Quote from: covufan on October 07, 2023, 12:00:22 AM
And sometimes luckily so. Just think if the fans and administration weren't patient with Homer, especially after the first four years.

Homer inherited a program in shambles and turned it into a premier mid major program. Matt inherited a premier mid major program and left it in shambles.

usc4valpo

Valpo basketball was in survival mode when Homer Drew took over.

cornonthe

Quote from: wh on October 09, 2023, 01:08:04 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 07, 2023, 12:00:22 AM

Homer inherited a program in shambles and turned it into a premier mid major program. Matt inherited a premier mid major program and left it in shambles.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the circle of life...

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 09, 2023, 09:14:45 PM

How many of you were actually there when Homer was hired?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

I followed it back then and I was a few years out of college. Valpo was consistently at the bottom of the Mid-con and could never get above 0.500. Player talent was slightly a level above D2. Coach Tom Smith was committed but was stubborn, had player defections, and poor backing from the administration. There are lots of stories - Rob Harden failing Dale Carnegie, Schabel just wanting the NCAA tourney share, etc. Drew came to Valpo where there were concerns where they could not be a D1 program. Homer Drew inherited a mess.

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on October 14, 2023, 02:37:36 AM
:thumbsup:

cornonthe

Me...I echo the prior thoughts on Tom Smith and his determination, but he just couldn't keep anyone good. We'd get a great player and then gone...sometimes it was a transfer, other times it was academics. What I really remember was Tom Smith's office, basically it was a walk in closet!!! Another problem was that he couldn't get a quality big man...soooooo many problems!!!

covufan

I graduated the spring that Homer was hired.  I went to HS in South Bend, so I was aware of who he was and what his accomplishments were at Bethel.  Homer did better with Smith's players in 88-89, especially the Lutheran Miracle.  The next three years were tough.  The 1991-2 season was 5-22, after 5-22 in 1990-1, 4-24 in 1989-90, and 10-19 in 1988-9, Homer's first year.  Most coaches would not have been given a fifth year, but the AD knew that with Tracy Gibson and Rob Cavanaugh returning, and Redmon/Schmidt coming off red-shirt transfer years, that the team was looking up.  The AD also knew that there was a potential recruit in the 1994 class in Homer's house.